Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Landscaping: Mulch

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 7, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Umgowa
Roswell, GA

June 27, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9184111

What do you more experienced landscapers prefer for mulch . . Pine straw . . . Pine bark, or wood chips?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9184132

Crushed pine needle mulch for flower beds and paths.

Shredded straw for the vegetable garden. It gets tilled in every spring.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9184361

In the flower beds we prefer pine bark because thats what the wife likes.
In the veggie garden we use a lot of straw. Straw is more available, easy to irrigate through and tills under after the season. It can be a bear to remove weeds that may grow up through it.
My preferred veggie mulch is grass clippings. I can't get enough of them. I'd take them by the semi-trailor full if they were available.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9184536

I prefer crushed pine straw, but it has become very cost prohibitive for the amount I need, so, I use a layer of fine pine bark followed by regular pine bark. The fine breaks down a little quicker and adds organic material to the beds.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9185007

I like pine straw for my flowerbeds because I can rake up all I need for free. I use wheat straw in the veggie garden because it's readily available, inexpensive, and we disk it in come late winter.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 28, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9185035

I use a lot of my own home made mulch.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9192519

Finely shredded hardwood.
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 4, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9192534

I use what I can get by the truckload inexpensively. I'm not sure it really matters so long as it is organic and breaks down year to year... I have a zillion pine trees and hardwoods so whatever falls, stays there. I buy truck loads of pine bark mulch or hardwood mulch and haven't seen much of a difference between the two. I can't see buying pine straw (needles) when I get a crop every year. It's just important to add more mulch every year and to add it pretty heavily -- don't skimp, a solid 3-5 inches holds the moisture in around the plant. I don't mulch to the stem/trunk, but I want the mulch to hold the moisture in the soil AROUND the plant, too. And if I can do anything to NOT water, I'll do it. City water is expensive!

I saw RUBBER mulch at a store and laughed myself silly. Mulch has THREE jobs, look "finished" and hold the moisture in and provide organics to the plants. RUBBER?????? hehehehe.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America