SOLVED: What is this dainty plant?

Cumming, GA

I like it- it's so soft and dainty looking- but is it invasive and what the heck is it? also- in the ditch with the possible poison ivy and mystery ivy plants... the ditch is starting to get a little scary. (My Moonwort turned so quickly this year all over the yard)

Thumbnail by HappyPhantOhm Thumbnail by HappyPhantOhm Thumbnail by HappyPhantOhm Thumbnail by HappyPhantOhm
Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

I think you have garlic mustard, definitely something to pull out now if it is.

http://tlcforscc.blogspot.com/2012/03/plant-revealed.html

Cumming, GA

hmmm... I will sniff some leaves this evening to find out!

Hooksett, NH

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/ontweeds/coltsfoot.htm
Maybe? I have a ton of this growing woodlands edge.....

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Don't panic.... the seedpods in pic #2 are Lunaria annua.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Pretty sure TomH is right. You should see small purple flowers and large seed pods that are more of a treat. It grows really easily, but I don't find it invasive.

More compact than garlic mustard.

Cumming, GA

wait, you guys are saying that the green leaves are also Lunaria (Moon Wort??) or just that you noticed it in the picture as well?

It does resemble the Coltsfoot... I did take a couple more pics yesterday as well-

Thumbnail by HappyPhantOhm Thumbnail by HappyPhantOhm Thumbnail by HappyPhantOhm
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I failed to look at your photo with the seed pods. This is often called a "money plant, because when the seed pods open and the outer covers fall off, what is left is a branch of lovely "silver dollars."

Cumming, GA

yes- I know what THAT plant is- are you guys telling me these green leafy things on the ground are also the money plant aka friendship plant aka moonwort?

Cumming, GA

whoa- kind of similar...?

Thumbnail by HappyPhantOhm
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

yes yes and yes..wait I lost count...and I have not heard moon wort but just money plant.

And the very first picture does look to me more like garlic mustard than money plant.

Cumming, GA

that would be odd, wouldn't it... if it were more money plant? The rest of the plant in the yard- and there is a LOT of them... they all turn green early spring- and are the first flowers to bloom in my yard besides the Dogwood tree... and they are all already gold... the pods didn't stay green very long this year... I am hoping they make it to white- that's my favorite. :)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Sounds like a normal healthy stand of money plant. Money plant can take over a pretty large piece of real estate, it has for me, grown up widely in my semi-maintained borders under hardwood trees and shrubs. Yup, mine are drying off now and will turn tan, and then can be peeled apart. Left in the garden eventually they get tattered by rain storms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.