Photo by Melody

Article: Designer rain barrels: more pretty than practical: Difference between districting.

Communities > Forums > Article: Designer rain barrels: more pretty than practical
bookmark
Forum: Article: Designer rain barrels: more pretty than practicalReplies: 2, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9185128

Sally lives only 14 miles from me. We are close-by...

I live in Baltimore County where water is super cheap. She lives in Ann Arundel County.
We are billed every 3 months--and my last bill was $14-something.
It WILL be a bit higher in the 3 month period that includes the spring and summer gardening.

In the worst hot summers of the past years--when i water my garden every day--
my highest bill has been under $60 (for 3 months).

Given--I live alone--only do laundry every 2 weeks--shower every other day, etc...

BUT---just cross the block and now you are in the "City " (NOT County)--
their water bills are over $100 a month for an average family. And--I just heard,
it is getting raised again--thanks to out "lovely" people in City government.

That is a HUGE difference in cost! One can live on a street ONE block inside
the City--and your neighbor pays $20-$30 per 3 months--and YOU get socked with over $100/month.

Where is the equity in this???? WHY all the difference????

I am grateful that I live in "Baltimore County" jurisdiction and NOT in the "Baltimore City" jurisdiction.

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9185495

Hi Gita,
Shocking isn't it? We must have both seen the same bit in the news/ newspaper. Yet another reason for folks to leave the city.

Here's another angle. AA co water is much higher than Balto county- because all of AA water comes from super deep wells and has to be pumped. Balto Co comes from old reservoirs that were bought many years ago.

But for some lucky folks like me, --there's private well water. All I pay is something to pump the water up. I could not figure out a way to calculate my water cost. But with my total electric at about $200, my water pumping portion must be very small ( it runs breifly but other things run nearly all day, like refrgieration, computers, light, and now AC. And my garden water just a fraction of my total water (dishes, laundry and showering for 4-5 people.) I do think my water costs are 'small.'
*Untill and unless the wll pump breaks or the well in total was shallow and needs to be replaced by a new deeper well...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9186403

More thoughts about water in this article today
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3794/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Designer rain barrels: more pretty than practical Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting perspective... podster 13 Jul 6, 2012 12:42 PM
an excellent article vossner 3 Jun 28, 2012 1:11 PM
Texas drought steadycam3 2 Jul 2, 2012 5:21 AM
Rainbarrels bvrl687 4 Jul 3, 2012 8:57 AM
Run off brutusmother 1 Jul 2, 2012 7:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America