Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: What is this plant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ForceMajuere
New Hope, MN

June 28, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9185561

I thought maybe 'bee balm' but the leaves look totally unlike anything I've seen. I live in MN, I don't remember planting this, and it's growing in the area where we once had an herb garden. Any answers?

Thumbnail by ForceMajuere
Click the image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 28, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9185608

It's an opium poppy, Papaver somniferum. This type, with double, lacinated petals, occurs very commonly.
ForceMajuere
New Hope, MN

June 30, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9187585

Boy, are you sure? I've looked around the neighborhood and have seen nothing that resembles this plant. When I look at the leaves-or better yet, the leaf configuration, I am inclined to agree with you, as it indeed resembles the opium poppy appearance. But this had a germanium-looking flower, (which dropped off within a day I might add) it didn't resemble the 'poppy' type flower that one would associate with poppies. Of course, 1 opium poppy is a curiousity-several dozen is a visit from the DEA...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9187651

The flower you show in the picture above looks like a poppy--take a look through these listings and you will see several that have that type of flower. Poppies can have a couple different types of flowers, this being one of them. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=papaver&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=somniferum&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9188856

Yep, it's a poppy, and a gorgeous one at that.
Birds or the wind, often volunteer these kind of plants, so the parent plant may be quite a distance away.
Enjoy, I would!
Barb
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 2, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9190170

It is deffinately Opium Poppy, these now come in lots of shades of pink, red, lavender / purple and ofcource like yours, it could be a cross bread one from afar, normally by birds as mentioned above.
If you like the Plant, you will get plenty seeds to propogate from the seedhead when the flower is spent and the seed head dries ot, soon as the see this turn brown, you need to remove it anf finish drying it off either indoors or leave the seed head on the plant and place a PAPER bag over the seedhead and tie it at the bottom to prevent insects getting into the bag and also this allows the the seeds to fall into the bag and these are saved for sewing.
Good luck, dont worry about the word OPIUM, you need fields apon fields to get the drugs that eveyone goes wild about either for or against,
I spoke to a gardener at one of the garden shows and he assured me it was not against the law to grow these plants as a flower in your borders so long as your not doing it for the money.
Best of luck. WeeNel.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 6, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9195814

[quote="ForceMajuere"]Boy, are you sure?[/quote]

Yes, without a doubt! An extremely easy ID!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America