Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Daylilies: seeds popped

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 15, Views: 146
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9185922

I got some seeds from the LA that popped when I squeezed them. They just shattered in my hand. I always give a little squeeze because sometimes the seeds are soft, but Ive never had some that look so good and do this. Does anyone know what causes this, or is it just one of those things.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9186036

I have had seeds do that, I think all tets. Its like the inside just dried up.
tink3472
(Michele) Cantonment, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9193450

As I go through my seeds I have found that some will do this, tets and dips. They look great when harvested and they pass the pinch test before I put them in a container to dry for 24 hours. I test them again before I bag them and some seem to just shatter like glass when pinched. I'm not sure why they do this; it may just be the outer shell is just really dry and shatters. If the core (the actual seed I suppose) is still on the inside I go ahead and plant them. I wish they would all just stay nice and plump but they don't, some just shrivel up to nothing but thay still will germinate and grow.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9193868

That was the weird thing about them, there was no middle. They were like little black balloons. I guess like Cindy said...they had just dried up.
On the other front, I got some seeds that were just the opposite. The were chips...the chippiest I have seen. I almost tossed them, but planted them in the sponges, and darned if those little things didnt plump up and then sprout. Every last one of them.

Ive got enough started anyway for next spring. That, of course, has not stopped me from bidding on a few of your seeds as well...couldnt help it.

Cindy, you can count on me for some Lake Norman Spider seeds. Im adding dips. Your picture got me. Love the color.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9193888

I hope I get some this year Pam. I am having a hard time with seed setting. It's been too hot this summer. Even the dips that set seed for me last year are not setting many this year.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9194083

Thats why Im already buying a few on the LA. I usually save that for after I have mine going. It was slim pickings this year. Like you say...the heat.
tink3472
(Michele) Cantonment, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9194908

The heat has been terrible for setting here as well. If we didn't have so many darn daylilies here we actually wouldn't have had very many pods. The ones that were pod studs last year I may have set a few on. Now on the other hand the ones that have never set or set maybe one pod have been setting quite well this year for some reason.
I think one reason I got most of the pods I do have is because I would dab pollen on rainy days in between showers or if it was just drizzling, and we had quite a few days like that when I first started dabbing this year.

I know a lot of people will just toss the super shriveled, next to nothing seeds, but I do plant them and they do plump up and germinate for me as well. When I go through mine I will keep the most shriveled ones in a cross for me to plant and the plumpier ones I bag up for the auction just because most people think that the shriveled ones are no good.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9195047

Same thing is happening here. Very fertile ones are not setting pods this year and ones that usually only give me one pod are setting more. Go figure.
Hastur
Houston, TX

July 6, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9195139

I don't know if this makes a difference, but my bed (tiny thing that it is) is on the North side of the building. I think that the large amount of shade that it gets has helped with the pod making. I have several that seem to be ripening nicely (I check every day because I have never done this before, and don't want to miss the chance to play with the seeds).

On the other hand, the stuff on the south side of the building (not daylilies, though) is already trying to shrivel and die or bolt and run. The heat is definitely doing some weird stuff.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9195411

I agree. Same thing happening here.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9262002

Some of you use the abbreviation L,A, in reference to seeds, what does that stand for?
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9262068

LA is Lily Auction.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9262114

I usually buy seeds from Rich, because he grows in a greenhouse and can get them on early, which give me time to get them in the ground for next years bloom. Honestly, it was crazy yesterday, people were paying 40 bucks for 5 seeds, left and right. Glad I got mine early. Now the LA is flooded, can get some deals and it will onjly get better in that regard.

If you want some really good deals, and grow Dips , Hemlady ( cindy) who just aswered you, list seeds. Cindy starts her seeds at the insanely good price of just 2 bucks I think. Anyway, you dont have to pay the big bucks to get great flowers.
Of course, the LA is full of clumps for 3 bucks right now, since people are lining out in the fall.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9264128

Went there and had a look ,Man are them ever some gorgeous blooms!!!! thank you, both!!^_^
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9264331

You are welcome, but be careful, it's very addicting, LOL.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9264610

One thing you really will find helpful is the closed auction link at the top. You do have to be signed in to use it, but it lets you search for every plant or seed with a certain plant, that they have sold in the past three months, and how much it sold for. A very helpful feature in making your own bids

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America