Photo by Melody

Carolina Gardening: What to use for edging that's free?

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9186241

I have a liriope border that's running wild. On the front side, it's held in check by grass. On the back side, it's spreading hither and yon. I like the lirope and I want to keep it, but I'd like to contain it with some sort of edging from materials on hand. Not really interested in wood, although getting some pallets and pounding in slats might be ok. I'd really like to have something that doesn't disintegrate. Heard of using discarded rain gutter material but I don't have any. What about cutting up plastic milk bottles into strips and pounding those in? Too flexible?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Entlie
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9186473

If you have cats and use the plastic jugs for litter, cut down they make great edging since you can paint the plastic with the krylon paint pretty much any color you want. 2ltr soda bottles as well .. for both, use a lighter to melt the edges that will be exposed because they can be very sharp.

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9186567

Great idea! Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America