Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Mealy Bugs Help!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
teko
Brillion, WI

June 29, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9186585

I have what looks to be mealy bugs on my heuchera. Never had this before, didn't know they lived on heuchera. Also weird is I generally have ants in this area. Why aren't they taking them away?? A solution of alcohol and water spray? Anything quick and easy? Could I be mistaken on the mealy bugs? Sure looks like the mealy bugs I've seen on houseplants.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9186671

spray them off w/ water or use insecticidal soap.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9186699

Can you post a picture? Hard to say if it's mealybugs or not without seeing them. Assuming it is mealies...sucking insects like aphids, scale, mealybugs, etc excrete honeydew which attracts the ants. So if you deal with the mealies, the ants should go away too. If there aren't too many mealybugs, my usual approach with them on houseplants is a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Outdoors, I'd start with a good blast from the hose to wash off as many as possible and then go after them with an insecticide if you want to (or the q-tip & alcohol if there aren't too many left behind after the hose).
teko
Brillion, WI

June 29, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9186719

I took the hose out to blast them and upon further review LOL they just may be the remnants of the seed pods of the anemones that are right next to them. Whew. Didn't make sense having mealy bugs on heuchera. I'll keep a close eye. Thanks all!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America