another "what are these?"

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

The first one is a complete mystery to me... It has really sprouted recently. The second is what I think is an Echeveria or Dudlya. I only have one. It is almost white with a yellowish undertone. I'd love to have a few more. I forgot about it until I was suprised to find it in the front yard yesterday while weeding.

Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Excuse my ignorance but I think that the first one is like one I have that almost died in the freezing weather and the name tag says: "Senecio Sp." The only difference is that the individual leaves are a little more slender. Xuling

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you, that gives me a place to start searching. :)

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

You are very welcome, I only hope that I am part way correct :) xuling

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

The Echeveria could by E lilacina, one of my favorites. It's a little hard to be sure without an idea of the scale. Some smaller Echeveria spp look similar, too. Or hybrids. But I'd start there. It's not a Dudleya sp.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I need to get better about showing scale. It's about 4 or 5 inches.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

The Echeveria is not lilacina, which does not have big bracts on the inflorescence. Maybe runyonii, a similar-looking plant which does, just a guess.

Oh good point, Baja. I hadn't focused in on that apparent inflorescence.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks again! I picked of one lower leaf to try and start a new one. Hopefully it works! :)

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

One advantage of runyonii compared to lilacina (depending on your point of view) is that it offsets. They can be pretty hard to tell apart when they're not flowering.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Helpful illustration, Baja! Yes, I often wish my E lilacina would offset at least a little. Such pretty plants. There is a happy medium between weedy messes and stingy beauties.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice, thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.