Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

June 30, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9187252

I got this about 2 weeks ago via ebay (Arghya Gardens). 'Apricot Versicolor'.

She seems to be growing great. Opinions? Should I leave it as is or trim it at all? I had a Datura last year.

Tom

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9187386

Tom,
Young Brug plants are naturally scraggly. Later, once they start to flower and the root system matures, they will branch out more. The plant will also send out new shoots from below ground giving you a bushier plant.

Don't trim it. You might be delaying the formation of blooms. Without a close-up photo of an entire leaf, it's impossible to tell whether the plant is in the vegetative or flowering growth cycle. Scroll down to the "Leaves" section of this link:
http://www.abads.org/members/anatomy.htm
to see the difference in the way the leaves connect to the petiole. During the vegetative growth cycle, the leaf/petiole connection on both sides of the mid-vein are symmetrical. Once the branch switches to the flowering growth cycle, the leaf/petiole connection becomes asymmetrical.

Vegetative growth is long, straight without any branching. Cutting vegetative branches does not encourage blooming. Instead, it delays it because the few branches that develop will have to start the vegetative cycle all over again. Once the vegetative cycle is complete, the growing end of the branch starts the flowering cycle by producing a "Y" then flower buds. From that point on, growth continues to "Y" and form new buds. The length of the vegetative cycle before the formation of the first "Y" is controlled genetically. Some of the newer cultivar, bred for their compactness, will produce the first "Y" when relatively small. Others may reach up to 10+ feet before they produce their first "Y".

If you want a shorter plant of one of those taller cultivars, allow them to grow and "Y" for the first year or two. Then take cuttings from above the original "Y". Plants produced from cuttings taken from above the "Y" will continue to "Y" and grow as if they were still part of the mother plant.

Congratulations on your first Brug! You do know growing Brugs is addictive and you probably won't be able to stop at owning just one especially after you see it bloom. LOL
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

June 30, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9187838

Thanks BettyDee! I grow a LOT of plants so I know about the addictive nature of them!

Thanks for all the information!
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

June 30, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9187966

Congratulations on your first brug! I'm starting all over again, so I need to read up!

Thanks, bettydee!
ShepMike
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9203426

New Brugs are exciting.
I have been trying to get a Sanguinea to bloom for a couple of years.
Finally! Not sure what I did right this year...

Thumbnail by ShepMike
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 9, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9354029

tommyr2006, How is your brug doing?
R
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 10, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9354653

It's still alive and in my living room near a west window. I took a small cutting off the bottom and it rooted! One that I started from seed is now about 2 feet tall!

Fun Stuff! Thanks for asking!
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 12, 2012
12:55 AM

Post #9356154

It sounds like fun stuff. I plan to try my hand at the seeds this spring!! Thanks for the speedy reply. How did you root the plant? Please give us your technique!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America