Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: What is happening with this Rudbeckia?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 11, Views: 283
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
emnotcrazee
Saint Pauls, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9187474

I have some mutant Rudbeckia. What is happening to these plants?
I have let this area reseed itself and am trying to have it fill itself in. Should I pull out the odd looking plants? As you can see some of the blooms are green and very small, Some of blooms have tiny blooms growing out of the center of the flower...I have never seen this before.

Thumbnail by emnotcrazee   Thumbnail by emnotcrazee   Thumbnail by emnotcrazee   Thumbnail by emnotcrazee
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9187514

It's the disease aster yellows http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/ipm.asp?code=138
emnotcrazee
Saint Pauls, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9187539

as soon as the temps go below 99F today I will start pulling up the diseased plants...Drat...that will really thin out the garden. Thank you for the quick response!

This message was edited Jun 30, 2012 1:04 PM
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9187674

I have about given up on Rutabeckia. They are perennials that don't come back, get all kinds of rust and fungus problems, and seem to spread their troubles to plants nearby. I'll admit that I probably am doing something wrong, but I find it easier to just not bother with plants that I find difficult
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9187782

Thank you, ecrane for that info on aster yellows. I do not need another diseased plant in my garden. Luciee :o)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9220788

Luciee - I just found out the same thing about my purple cone flower :(
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9221932

minnesippi, sorry about your purple cone flower. I planted some seed a few years ago and finally this year, it bloomed. That's right, I have one from a pack of seed. Not much sense in worrying about things that just do not grow very well. Luciee {;^)
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9242884

And today I pulled up and put into the house trash, a rudbeckia with yellow wilt. I am thankful to you all that I read this info here and knew what to do. Thanks to all, Luciee (;^)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 15, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9242930

I have found it in my sunflower, monarda, phlox and cone flower..and powdery mildew is especially bad this year as well. I have never had either before and now I have both. Maybe it was the 90 degree March and hot June & July?
ryguy319
Owosso, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9244011

I've not heard of aster yellows disease but I do have Rudebekia Goldstrum and until I found that variety I had the problem keeping them growing every year.
I was told that it is the hardiest variety of black eyed susan.
Jan
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9244947

When I looked up aster yellows on the computer, I found out that there are a number of plants which are susceptible, including marigold, which is a staple for me. Now, I am not going to be surprised what I find it on. Luciee {;^)
mclowdis
Minneola, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9245562

Don't be too worried yet, it is a disease spread by leafhoppers so if your not organic, fist step, spray insectiside. Second step continue pulling any plant with first sign or starting to wilt (do not compost these plants, throw them away). I had it go through my garden this year and I'm still seeing it pop up because it was wide spread this year for some reason. About everyone with coneflower in town has it and many are oblivious. Its obvious their flowers are sick and they are just letting it spread(small town). It seems like the leafhoppers that went through only mostly really like coneflower and some rudebekia. Hopefully your leaf hoppers have a preference too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America