Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Installing a door on a metal gazebo greenhouse

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 8, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tlynngeer
Citrus Heights, CA

June 30, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9187565

I am in the process of building my first greenhouse using the metal frame of a gazebo. I just finished securing the frame on a foundation and Im getting ready to wrap it using 6mm polyethylene sheeting. While sitting in my backyard last night relaxing, it dawned on me that I have no idea how Im going to get into it (oops.) Does anyone have an ideas on how to install an adequate door onto my make-shift metal framed greenhouse, or what kind of door I should use? HELP
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9196696

I have used screen doors for this, as long as they have the sliding glass in them. They are also good for ventilization in hot weather.

you should be able to frame it in using some 2 x 4's.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9197548

You can also use one of the plain old wooden screen doors, just use your polyethylene sheeting to cover it. Also, if attaching a door is problematic, overlap your sheeting from both sides to create a "clean room" type door...that way the sheets are attached at the top, but allow you to enter between them.
tlynngeer
Citrus Heights, CA

July 8, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9198481

Thank you

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9198497

We made a make-shift covered vege garden with deer netting over an old canvas garage frame.
For the door we just hung a loose piece of netting with a dowel sewed into the bottom.
It's worked fine for over two years now, sometimes you can just "fake it" with doors.
You could probably just leave one corner unattached and use the dowel idea to keep it straight.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9198829

They also sell zipper doors that you can install easily in plastic sheeting: http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&productid=1195&s=zipper&cid1=-99&cid2=-99&cid3=-99
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9199482

ecrane3 wrote:They also sell zipper doors that you can install easily in plastic sheeting: http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&productid=1195&s=zipper&cid1=-99&cid2=-99&cid3=-99[/quote]

Have you tried this? Looks like a good idea.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9199677

Yes, I've used it--at my old house I didn't have a real greenhouse, but I stapled plastic sheeting around the edges of my covered patio in the winter to make a makeshift greenhouse, and I did one of those zipper doors to give access from the patio to the backyard. Worked great!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9199891

The greenhouse zippers look really cool.
I added the link to my favorites.
That could come in handy in a lot of situations, it might even work with my birdnetted vege garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America