77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 30, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9187846

Time to shorten the long walk, we came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263689/

As you can see from the pic, the wattles are starting to flower.
The smaller ones are already looking pretty and the Cootamundras will soon be in full bloom.
As usually happens, when the wattles are looking so beautiful, it rains on them and spoils the whole effect.
It wont be long before we see more sun and start feeling some warmth as old man Sol rises in the sky.

I had better go move the elves along with shifting all the things from the old Tea Room. They do tend to be a bit slow at this time of year.
I have the magic Carpet out on the Tea room patio in the sun.
If everyone is ready we can take off this week.
I will fly up and get any of our northern friends who are coming along.
Karen will enjoy a trip I know.
We can then zoom back, spend a day with Dianne & Sue , then all head off to Tassie .
Anthony had better have the kettle on as I am sure it will be cold down there.
Get all your things ready everyone.

Karen and anypne else up there , be ready to show us your pretty locale and what rocks etc you have around.
We are going to be bringing lots of rocks & crystals etc back with us.

Dianne & Sue , we expect a short tour of your areas. before we head to Anthony.

The carpet has lengthened itself to carry all our stuff.

Keep warm
Jean.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 9:01 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 30, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9187996

Hey, a magic carpet ride - yes! And rock hunting too! It can't get any better than that.

Anthony, I would be interested in looking at the website of the people who sell Crocoite. I looked at some on eBay and don't really understand the huge price differences. Would love to know more.

Going to pack now and wait for the carpet. See y'all soon.

Karen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 30, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9188056

HMMM Magic Carpets - I hope the air around it will be magically warmed cos it sure is cold round here just now. Jean as you posted our move I was posting my fence ! LOL But I followed you over here.

We can zip up to Agate creek for some lovely agates and over to WA for some Amethysts while we are aboard- I will bring my mud maps so we don't get lost. Better pack a picnic basket too.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 30, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9188080

Karen,' Lunaris Gemstones' is the name-Anthony
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 30, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9188212

I'm all ready too Jean. Oh I do love the carpet rides. We can go to Overland Corner and fossick for fossils too. All along the Murray River in the sandstone cliffs. Might be able to chuck a line in for a while and maybe catch a very elusive Murray Cod to have a look at. I won't forget the worms this time. Cameren picks up lots of rocks along the road and wets his finger and rubs on them. He has lots of rocks in a wooden box in his room. Nothing worth anything money- wise but he loves them and that's the main thing. That's the thing about the magic carpet Chookie, the weather is what ever we want it to be. Well my short-lived solitude will end soon. John will get me another trailer load of sand and mushroom compost and I will need a few bags of wood chips too. I tried to win the x-lotto Saturday night but didn't come anywhere close. Oh, what I would do with $30mil. Is your Winter Hippy out yet Jean. Mine has finished now. Funny how your's is so much later over there. I saw that blue one too Jean. It was very pretty wasn't it? Maybe I'll put in a Christmas wish. I have a flower bud on one of the Tils you sent me. That will be nice when it comes out. The others are looking okay too but no other buds. Must go. Everyone have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 30, 2012
11:19 PM

Post #9188371

I saw that everyone was packing for our trip this morning, but I had to watch Geelong win, so I have been packing my duffle bag...I haven't got the right tools, but I do have a fold up shovel and lots of enthusiasm...
It sounds as though we will have lots of places to dig, I want to dig up an amethyst geodes...mind you I won't recognize it so I'm relying on our fossicking carpeteers to tell me what's what.

Chookie, you won't need a mud map, I have plenty in Mick's paddock...what is it by the way?

Anthony are you bringing that crazy cocky? if you are, I'm leaving Tilly home...last trip she came home with half of her pretty tail missing...

Colleen, that John of your's is a very good uncle and son...the boys must love him heaps...hope they didn't get very wet...and you enjoyed your restful day.

Jean, let's know when you start up and I'll be waiting...see everyone soon...Dianne
Can you smell the Wintersweet?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9188379

I am having trouble convincing Carpet to come out of his cupboard. I told him that it will be nice and warm in our virtual world.
I think he hasnt realised he is virtual too. ...lol

I was looking at a few web sites on gemstones etc and found a reference to something like my little bit of rock . It could be dendritic jasper.
The ferny marks are apparently sometimes the remains of tiny sea creatures which feather through the rock.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 1, 2012
2:17 AM

Post #9188393

hmmm - not sure if it will be magic but our new carpet is being installed on Friday :)
We should be back in the house by that night.
Looking forward to having the dogs back although Miss Sugar weasel came into season today.
We were wondering why the only intact dog at club was acting goofy, he's too young to know what was up but he knew there was something in the air.
I didn't notice until we'd been there a while & i was trying to train the weasel - she went silly doing the down stay & started rolling on her back & waving her paws in the air... so she was being goofy too!
But I realised why at that point & put her away, Copper seemed oblivious thank goodness as I had them crated together.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 1, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9188412

Boy is it cold here on the Sunshine Coast!

The school holidays and people are complaining that it is so cold the children are inside driving the parents nuts. *G*
This is a time when I can smile because I am old and can say "Been there ...done that"
Yep...looking for my woolley g-strings just now.*G*

Nambour Garden Expo this weekend and I am busy doing a few things for the Buderim Garden Club's display.
Also have Fred's son and grand-aughter arriving from Geelong for a holiday.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 6:22 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9188993

Good morning everyone. The rain has gone for awhile so I have Carpet out and ready.

I think Dianne and Sue will be the first on board.
Dianne, I will get you on board first .
Have you got all your gear ready ?
Expect me any time this morning after I finish my cuppa and finish persuading Carpet that he will love the trip and it will be warm.
Silly Carpet, thinks he's real...lol

Sue are you ready?
You should see us overhead around lunchtime.
I hope we can sample some of your tasty treats .
If the weather stays fine we can explore around your place .

Colleen, you will see us arriving by tomorrow . It all depends on how much of Sues yummies we can eat..lol
Hope you have lots to show us.

We will get to see Anthony after that. I am looking forward to seeing some of the beautiful areas of Tassie.

Better leave out something for those not coming on the trip.
Heres a tasty treat...Apple and Cinnamon Slice..

I'm off to get Carpet loaded and start him moving.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 1, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9189122

Need warm socks. On my list. Yeah!

Anthony, thank you for that link. Will go have a look.

Teresa, if they are laying carpet, the repairs must be finished now? You must be getting quite excited.

Jean, I agree it could be dendritic jasper. Certainly looks most probably.

Hi Marlene. Winter isn't the best time for school holidays, is it. Yes, been there, done that too. Sit back, relax and enjoy them now.

Dianne, Colleen and Sue, am looking forward to seeing some of your favourite fossicking locations. Anyone else coming too?
I tried to get a snow parker but they've all sold out in the stores now. Anyone mind if I wear a thick fluffy pink dressing gown? Ok, Ok, just joking.

The lower rock is a piece of pink lace agate. I thinks its pretty.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9189403

Karen, we are still at Sue's place.
Dianne was a bit slow at loading her stuff on Carpet. She wanted to bring Tilly, but I reminded her of how Cocky teased her last time.
We are enjoying lots of Sue's home made goodies.
We will zoom up and grab you in the morning as we may spend the night here.

Colleen, we will see you soon. Hope you have lots to show us.
Saw these fellows this morning.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 1, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9189435

Sorry for being so slow, I couldn't find the fold up shovel,
Chookie's, lemon butter on chunky bread is hard to resist...how much weight does the carpet carry Jean?

On the way back could we stop at Eastern beach and look for that Aragonite, I know where the spot is that you mentioned, it's just near where the mineral water tap is...so we can bring bottles for the water too.
Then we can walk to the caravan that sells fresh hot mussels, I love them with Chili sauce, and have some for lunch...
Then we can walk past the gorgeous helicopter pilot, maybe we can go for a flight over the bay, we won't mention that we have already been over on the carpet.

Aldi had a sale on snow gear, Karen, I got you the pants as well as the jacket, glad that you like PINK..lol

Anthony, we can go to Salamanca with you on Saturday...you can show us your favourite haunts.

See everyone soon...Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9189441

Dianne, are you really going to drink that water ?
I had a drink of mineral water at Daylesford once. ugh...

When you say how much weight can Carpet carry, I assume you mean rocks and things not us 'wee skinny' ladies...lol

Yes , I did enjoy Sue's preserves , especially that lovely marmalade.
I hope she doesnt notice a jar is missing.
It must have fallen in my bag...
Don't worry Anthony, Sue is generously bringing some down for you.

Karen, you will look very cute in pink. Have you bunny slippers to go with the robe ?
I always say comfort is better than fashion, so wear your robe by all means.
I have a feeling someone did bring a furry animal ( Tilly) so watch or it will be cuddling up next to you.
Enjoy a good night sleep everyone, we will be off early tomorrow.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9189452

Jean, that mineral water is delicious, it tastes just like flat lemonade...not the stinky sulpher mineral water at Daylesford.
When I looked into Tilly's big bug eyes, how could I say no... she had a tongue full of dirt, she has been practising digging gemstones, she wants a jewelled collar.

The first pic shows what happened when I told her that she couldn't come with us.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 2, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #9189453

I'm ready and waiting Jean. I've made us home made pasties for lunch so will have them nice and hot for you all when you get here. Benny will be so pleased to see Tilly. He loves to run around the back yard with other dogs. Maybe we can go for a trip up to the island where we used to camp when we were kids. Every May holidays we packed up and went camping. Lots of fish around then. My brother and sister and their families all went camping too. We still joke at how little food they took with them as you could catch fish or a rabbit or a duck anytime you needed it. They used to take Weetbix, powered milk a packet of tea., flour, sugar, jam and always a packet of Surf for washing the nappies. My niece was only six weeks old when she first went camping. There are lots of burial grounds around that area. We can then go down river to Overland corner and do some fossicking in the cliffs. Shark teeth have even been found there so that would be a bit of a thrill if we could find one too. The boys are on school holidays so they will have to come too. Branden wants to find a starfish skeleton. Cameren will be quite happy just looking for lizards. Then maybe we can go down river a bit further to Taylorville and go for a camel ride. This guy takes his camels lots of different places but it would be nice to see lots of camels all together. There is a nice little bush tucker place down that way too, maybe we can call in for afternoon tea and try out their quondong jam. I don't know where there are any minerals around here so we might have to go and see the gem and mineral people and ask them. I have always wanted to visit Tasmania so that will be nice. Can't wait to take off. See you all in the morning. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9190125

I do believe Charley is fueling up for the trip. He is a happy boy, got plenty of food for the month. He's gonna Break his Mama's piggy bank, with all this eating.
Painted Lady is blooming.
Moonlight Angel or Angel's Moonlight, what ever she is, it's beautiful.
Trees cracking and falling every where, it is so hot and dry. Did get just a little sprinkle but also had some wind with it.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9190349

Good morning everyone.
Cold here this morning but it will soon be off into some lovely virtual weather on Carpet.

Colleen, I hope you have plenty of food for this hungry lot. I see the preserves from Sues place are being nibbled ..
I hope there is some left when we get to Anthonys .

We are looking forward to seeing all around your area Colleen.
I hope we can find some pretty rocks.

Diannes garden is so lovely and Sue is doing great things at her place so we are waiting to see what Colleen has done with all her cacti & broms.
Sue has some lovely art work too.

Dianne, we must stop at your place on the way back as I would like to try those hot mussels.

Karen , get your pink gear ready. We should see you about Thursday, depending on what we find in Tassie.

I hope you all have cameras as we want to see lots of pics of the various places we all live.

I had better put out something for the people still here .
try these Banana Muffins.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9190363

Wow, Charleen...talk about a "lucky" break...a few feet more and the shed when have been done for.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9190471

Oooh scary, Charleen...lucky it fell on that side...
Pretty Brugs, post when the AM opens up...
A trip on the carpet will do you good...
Moon are you coming too?
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 2, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9190485

Ah good morning all. What is the weather report so far, Jean? Are you warm enough out there?

Glad it wasn't today for pick up, as I have a hospital appointment. There goes more than half the day.

Dianne, I can't believe you got me pink snow gear. Thank you.

See you all soon.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9190568

Colleen, I hope you have lunch on as we are just about there.
I hope the passengers are all taking plenty of pics as we fly over.

Karen, its freezing in the real world but our virtual tours are always done in perfect weather.

Charleen, you were so lucky that tree was careful of your shed. Hope it didnt frighten Charley. He looks like he will eat all that hay at once.
We had better bring plenty of cookies with us.

Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 2, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9190758

We're ready Jean. The boys have been helping me get lunch ready but the pasties changed to sausage rolls. Some home made sauce to go with it too. Beautiful and sunny here. Sorry I got waylaid by a visitor and then I had to do some shopping so will finish this post now. It's been sitting here since before lunch. The sausage rolls are heated now. Sorry about the delay. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2012
10:34 PM

Post #9190775

Dont worry Colleen, we stopped off along the way as we were feeling peckish. We ended up having lunch at a lovely winery and will have your delicious sausage rolls for tea.
I think Carpet is feeling a bit left out as we haven t been taking any notice of him.
He can hang around on your veranda and enjoy the fresh air.
See you in a few ticks.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 2, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9190783

It's great to have you all here. I'll take you for a tour of the SH and the cactus. Watch out for Chad, the rooster and his girls. Don't put your fingers in the galah's cage or they will have you. Can you hear Harry purring? No flowers on the cactus at the moment but some of the Aloes are getting lovely flower heads and they will look great soon. There's even some brugs out to greet you. OSA, BB, Avalanche and a verrrry pale Lipstick. Buds coming out on EP but they will still be a few days. The urn is on so would you like tea or coffee? I have Bushell's tea or Moccona dark roast. Maybe you would like a bit of apple crumble and fresh cream with that. Carpet can take a rest on the nice sunny verandah. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9190786

Tea for me, thanks Colleen...yes to the apple crumble and cream too...I have my favourite wine in my rucksack as usual, well wrapped of course, miss not having Stake to share it with..

Colleen, Ray saw all of your delicious cooking and he is going to drive up to your place, can you leave some out for him? Those kids of yours live well, don't they...
We will be travelling on that sooky carpet by then...surely it knows that we can't do without it...
Maybe if we give it a good brushing, while it's at your place ...Jean what do you think?

Here is some light reading for everyone tonight, https://www.gardenexpress.com.au/
I ordered the double Liliums...there are Waterlilies in there too, chookie and some other pretty things...
Dianne

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9190787

Colleen, is that pretty pink ring cactus,the same one Brian bought into the tea Room once ?

I'll have green tea thank you.
I always carry a few tea bags in case people dont have green tea.
I love apple crumble but no cream thank you.
Would you please tell Harry he cannot stay on my knee all night. .
I love the broms in your shadehouse too.
Did you try some of Sues delicious jam ?
Lucky we had some left, as I think Dianne has been secretly indulging with some scones we picked up at a little bakery near the winery.
Time for some girl talk a bit later, after the boys have gone to bed.
I think Sue has a bottle of wine somewhere and I am sure Brian is watching in delight.

Ha ha, Dianne we posted at the same time. I thought it was you with the wine, but funny we both thought of Brian..
I was thinking how much cream he would have had on his crumble...lol

Dont worry , Carpet is usually very good and has just been feeling neglected all wrapped up in the shed since our last trip.
Jean.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2012 5:21 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9190794

Jean, I might have the green tea, I haven't tried it before...
I forgot to compliment Colleen on her flowers...post some Brugs pics on the other forum Colleen...
Especially Avalanche and Lipstick, we don't see those very much...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 3, 2012
12:50 AM

Post #9190819

Jean I don't know whether Brian posted a pic the same but that one is mine from last year. I didn't get any of his little Mammalarias or Gymnocalysiums only the big ones. I'm glad you liked the afternoon tea. It's getting pretty chilly now so we'd all better come inside. Carpet can park in the passage way for the night and Tilly and Benny can sleep on their bed in living area. Dianne I can't find the pic of Lipstick, I think it is on the flash drive as I have changed computers and down loaded pics from 2010. It flowered while it was in the SH and then I planted it out in the front garden. It has 2 flowers but they both got hit with the frost and are mis-shapen and so pale that I haven't bothered to take any pics of it. Avalanche has about 10 flowers all on the northern side where the frost didn't hit. Here's a pic of Avalanche taken last September when it first flowered in the ground. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 3, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9190829

have as much cream as you like - virtual cream is good for you ;)
It was miserable today & I forgot to top up my Metro card & had no money for the bus so walked down to the shops to get some out...
it was steady drizzle so I was damp & cold by the time I got there - about a 20 minute walk.
Good thing it's school holidays & even catching a later bus got me to work on time.
We worked 8.30 - 6.30 yesterday doing the stock take... we scanned & counted ever item of stock in the shop - at last count a little over 4000 garments!!!
long day & the company shouted us pizza for lunch.
out in the office the job wasn't even finished by 5pm tonight, bit disappointing as the two of us in the shop have been working our butts off trying to get organised but the management team leave things to the last minute, had they acted when we said they needed to it would have gone more smoothly & it would have been all sorted by the 'deadline'.
A virtual carpet trip sounds like a great chance to get away for a bit...
I haven't been out to Birdlings Flat so would enjoy taking a look & fossicking for agates.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 3, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9191003

Sorry about the Metro card, Teresa...but your stocktake story brought back a lot of funny memories...I worked for Myer, our largest department store chain for many years and although it had to be very accurate back then, down to the last button in some depts, we had a lot of fun at the same time...it's all estimation with small items now...

Sounds as though the carpet trip will be very timely for you.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9191130

No, I won't be able to join you all on your lovely ride, but, when you pick up Charleen, please drop by for tea. I will have scones with fresh strawberries and blueberries and cream along with biscuits and cucumber or tomato sandwiches and of course lots of wonderful grilled Cajun sausages and fresh baked pistolettes. Anthony, icy cold beer in the box, a variety from local micro breweries you may enjoy. I will also have a lovely Bellagio white chilled, a hearty red, Chai, green tea, iced tea and dark roast Louisiana coffee. Lots of sweet hay and goodies for Charlie and the critters are waiting for them.

This link is to fossicking site around the US...

http://www.42explore.com/rocks2.htm

Should you arrive late, I have accommodations for you all. And a nice fire to natter around

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9191136

Teresa, I heard this morning that there was another quake...6.2 I think. Hope it did not affect you or your freshly repaired home.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9191144

There is even site in Georgia. Love the Gypsy wagons, we will have enough room for all.
Jean sounds like Heaven to me...
Here is tree that fell over walking path. At's rump, they are so nosy...
Here comes Charley checking it out!!!
The other long ears came and checked it out,but they were cautious.
the last is a heavenly smelling brug named Flame. Pretty too!!!!

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9191155

I saw that Charleen...that is why I figured after a day of playing rockhound, you might all enjoy a relaxing evening...GRIN The longears remind me of ferrets...OH run, go see what is happening? Can you eat it? GRIN

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9191429

They really are, Jean!!! they are so funny. They make you laugh. When I was getting some of their hay for mulch yesterday the oldest one Isabelle came around to see what I was doing and I was bent over collecting hay. I looked up and she had her rump turned to me. She want it scratch. She is so sweet.
the other guys was on other side and not caring one way or another as long as they could eat!!!!☺
It would be so much fun to go rock hunting...
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 3, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9191700

Good Morning everyone.
What a great orgsaniser you are Jean - such a smooth trip and all on time too.So good to meet you all too.
I didn't pack wine but did put in the homemade ginger beer and the Apple Cider which packs quite punch - will that do?
Love those gyspy wagons Moon - a great stopover!!

Dianne those mudmaps are handmade maps provided by previous fossickers that show the little tracks in to specific locations get the best gems.

Plenty of jam and lemon butter left so no one will miss out- passionfruit butter going fast though. Who ate all the fig & ginger jam?

Will be offline for a couple of days as I move furniture and computer around - again!!

Studio looks like a bomb hit it as the last boxes are unpacked all over the place trying to find homes for everything- tired myself out moving things from place to place.

Karen that lace agate is lovely. I am getting the studio organised to begin some stone carving very soon. Tools now unpacked ! Yippee- haven't seen some of them for 5 years!

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 3, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9191719

Good morning everyone.
How lovely to wake up to someone else cooking breakfast.
Colleen, I did enjoy the tomatoes & bacon with my sausages.
We often have either eggs& bacon or those small sausages & tomatoes instead of cereal for breakfast.

While we spend the day sightseeing and fossicking around here, I will send Carpet to pick up Karen. .( in her pretty pink gear )
I thought Karen would like to be in on the Tassie part as there are lots of lovely places to see down there.

Karen, Carpet will be careful, he really does enjoy our trips and wont tip you off..

Sue, we did enjoy all your preserves and I am sure will continue to enjoy them as we get through the ones you kindly gave us all.

Anthony are you ready for us all to descend on you. ?

I hope you have plenty of places to show us.
I am going to be sure to get to the Port Arthur convict site while there as I had a few ancestors that must have known the place well.

Its cold at home, so hubby tells me. Foggy but fine .
Teresa, we all be over to see you as soon as we have had a good look around Tassie.
I look forward to meeting the Sugar weasel...lol
Hope there are not too many bumps and shakes while we visit.

Moon , I love those gypsy wagons.
I once entertained the thought of going around Australia in one, but was talked out of trying as it takes quite a bit to maintain them & the horses on the road.
Maybe in my younger days ,I should have thought of it.

Charleen, I cant wait to hugs those ferry ones.

We will be there before you know it.

Now better put out nibbles for the stay at homes...
Heres a yummy Banana Caramel Loaf.

Happy Day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9191748

Them babies love hugs.. Now that is a yummy looking cake.
We are getting RAIN!!!! My water buckets are full and so are my fountains. The brugs and I are so happy and all the rest of my little dry world.
WoooooHooooo!!!! Rain dance here...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9191782

We got rain here Monday...nearly an inch over about 90 minutes...seems every drop got to sink in judging by how perky and green everything was this morning.

Glad you like the wagons...I fell in love with gypsy wagons watching the Wizard of Oz...

Have a safe trip, All.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 3, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9191856

Oooh, can we stop off at Moon's and stay over in those wagons? They look great.

I had my first magic carpet ride and didn't even get car sick. Wowzer! Wanna go faster, higher, further, yeah! Fossicking next though. Want to find some coloured crystals.

Hospital visit went well, nothing new there. But I got mad at the endo. When I learned about Housing trying to move us out of our homes, my blood levels went crazy with the anger and despair. When I told the endo, he suggested psychiatry or psychology treatments. Now I'm mad as hell! What is a person supposed to do, smile sweetly and say yes, of course I'll go and lose everything I own because it won't fit into the little coffin they want to cram me into? And if you object, you are a crazy person? Grrrr...

So, will just enjoy the carpet ride and the company today. I'm still capable of having virtual fun :)

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 3, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9191942

Stick with us Karen. In our virtual world there are no pollies, no people police and no idiots telling us what to do with our lives .
Everything is beautiful.
Relax ans enjoy the ride.
I told you Carpet would look after you.
Colleen is showing us around today and then off to ( virtual) sunny Tas.
Show some pics of your area Colleen so everyone can see where we are .

Hope Anthony has a fire going as I love toast done on an open fire.
Potatoes in foil and eggs in half oranges in the ashes. Yum.
Ooohh cant forget , chestnuts in the fire too... mmmmmmmm..
I have plenty to take with us.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 3, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9192264

I'm so sorry everyone but I've done my back. Have been to the doctor and got some pain killers. Meet up again soon. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 3, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9192288

Colleen, so sorry about your back.
Put your feet up and rest.
There will be other times for you to join us .
Thank you for the lovely time we had with you .

Anthony, look out for us we are coming over Bass Strait now.
Saw some of these as we flew over .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 4, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9192304

Just saw this on FB..it's from Gardening Australia
A lovely reader from Victoria is giving away free jam melon seeds after a large harvest. If interested, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Hughie Sherritt, C/- Post Office, Dargo, Vic 3862! How generous!
If she's back on line, I thought that Chookie might like to get some...
Great idea if you make lots of jam...

Colleen, that is bad luck...take care of yourself...

Jean, eggs cooked in orange skin..what a neat idea...

Are you sure that this carpet is weather proof, Jean...I'm freezing...lol
Stoke up the fire Anthony, were on our way...yippee

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 4, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9192309

Just finished an arrangement for the Buderim Garden Club's stand at the Nambour Expo this weekend.

The display has an old world theme because we are celebrating the Buderim 150 year.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 4, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9192311

Lovely Marlene...have a great time at the Expo...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 4, 2012
1:45 AM

Post #9192319

Fire's cookin'
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 4, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9193047

Good morning everyone. After a lovely night in that very luxurious hotel we are off to see Anthony today.
I am going to be wanting some of those lovely gemstones from Tassie and I am glad Anthony has the fire going.
I have a large bag of chestnut for roasting .
I am also hoping that Tilly & Cocky can be better friends.
I hope Colleen is resting her back and being waited on by the boys.

To Charleen & Moon and all our other US friends
Happy 4th of July...

Hubby will have to do the shopping by himself while I am away. Hope he gets everything on the list I left for him.

Heres a beautiful cake to share with our US friends on this day..

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 4, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9193369

This is a very fast trip. Don't blink. You'll miss something.

Nice arrangement, Marlene.

I get confused with the dates being different, so hope our US friends will have, are having, or did have a Happy 4th July.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 4, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9193486

Dont blink, Karen.
Yo u have to realise we are travelling in the virtual world so time has no meaning. We can stay as long as we like anywhere.
Its only in the real world that time has a habit of slipping away too quickly...lol
Just about landing at Anthonys place. I hope he has the kettle on
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 4, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9193507

I am holding Tilly tight, we don't want any squabbling between her and Cocky...
I see the smoke from Anthony's chimney...I hope he has the slow cooker on with something delicious inside.

Colleen, hope that your back is improving...there is nothing worse...

Absolutely adore those gypsy wagons, Moon...there used to be a company that hired them out and they would come along at the end of the day and unharness the horses and feed them, then cook a meal for you..I wonder if they still do that...
Dianne

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 4, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9193512

Nice to see this flower today. Didn't even know it was about to flower.

Very creative cake there Jean.
If it tastes as good as it looks it will be delicious!

Thumbnail by Marleneann

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 4, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9193513

Dianne, I wonder if I could fit one of those wagons on the back of Carpet ?

Be wonderful to wander around in one.
I dont think hubby would be so keen though.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 5, 2012
12:47 AM

Post #9193521

Jean here they are, or one like it...Ray would think of a thousand things that could go wrong..

http://www.colonialway.com.au/about.htm
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 5, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9193530

I have an extreme 'chicken breast curry' cooked for everyone to nibble while visiting.,.,corn,bacon ,broccoflower, cabbage, Collinsvale swede,button mushies, touch of garlic, a couple of pinkeyes- topped off with a nice ground black pepper,.,.,and a crayfish to crack, on the way home[with a bottle of vinegar to dip it in, then washed down with a 2009, Stefano Lubiano red.,.,hows that for hospitality
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 5, 2012
2:32 AM

Post #9193536

mmmm- chestnuts, haven't had those in years.
Hubby & I just took most of our stuff back home, we move back in tomorrow night.
I am excited about seeing the new carpet, the walls look pretty good with the fresh paint.
Hopefully it won't be too hard to match curtains with the new colour scheme.
To save money I am putting the lounge room curtains in the bedrooms.
That way we only need new curtains for the lounge & dining room.
Not sure what to do about the back bedroom, might go with roman blinds the same as we have in the dog's room.
When the carpet arrives I'll give you all the grand tour :)
You'll have to promise not to look closely at the garden as it is a state of terrible neglect.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9193655

Such a lovely meal makes me sorry I can't join in, Anthony.

I know you must be over the moon at the thought of getting back into your home Teresa...and it all being fixed to boot.

Dianne, what fun that sounds like...sitting around a campfire at night, then sleeping up off the ground so the bugs don't bite...new meaning to RV's (or old meaning actually) grin

MarleneAnn, neat flower, and I thought your arrangement was lovely

Karen, Brisbane is 15 hours ahead of me here in the states. The US is divided into 4 time zones running from East Coast to West Coast. I am in the second one...called Central TZ. 12 Noon Monday here in CTZ is 3AM Tuesday there in Brisbane...and I won't even try to figure the Daylight savings times, since both countries have it...just at different times of the year
. I was so confused on our first trip to AU...we left the airport in Los Angeles, CA(on the west coast) at 11PM on a Friday night and arrived in Sydney at 6:30 AM Sunday morning...(lost an entire day on a 14 hr flight) On the return trip, We left Sydney at 11AM on Saturday, and arrived in Los Angeles at 7:30 AM on Saturday...we got back to the states 3.5 hours before we left AU...needless to say we felt like time travelers...grin

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 5, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9193705

I've eaten so much of Anthony's cooking, that I can't sleep...it was delicious...

Looking forward to that tour, Teresa...lovely to sleep in your own bed again.

That is a lovely flower, Marlene... what is it called?

Moon, I had to read your timetable twice, very confusing isn't it...I think the daylight saving time is the most confusing...we have to remember the states that don't use it, like Queensland.

I use this handy site so I know what time it is anywhere...it's very convenient.

Though it thinks Q has daylight savings...oh well you can't have everything...lol

http://24timezones.com/

This message was edited Jul 6, 2012 1:01 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9193731

That is the same site I use, Dianne...sorry for the confusion...but you can imagine if the written account is confusing, how odd it was living it...grin

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9193749

Wow!!!! I liked that I was wondering where to look. Now I know.
Thank you...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 5, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9194372

Good morning everyone.
We are all full of Anthonys lovely food.
I hope he takes us somewhere we can walk it all off today.

I am looking forward to seeing Port Arthur on our way back, as it has featured in my ancestors lives.

I must get to see the chocolates at Cadburys.

Its nice to see that Cocky & Tilly are becoming friends this time.

Moon , I gave that clock site to hubby for his amateur radio work. He likes it. I am always wondering what the correct time is for you all in the US.

Teresa, we will see you soon. I have never been to Tassie so hope to see lots of things this time.
Anthony has a lovely garden and I would have loved to see all the liliums in bloom.
Maybe next tiem we will come min spring.

pic 2...This is what I am taking home...lol
pic 3...I could take one of these little fellows too.
pic 4.. .I saw a picture of this historic bridge at Richmond and liked it very much

Hope to see you all in the US soon,
Everyone keep safe and those at home enjoy these Blueberry Scones.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 5, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9194460

Couldnt resist showing this ..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FREE-SHIP-20-Seeds-China-Black-Rose-Flower-Lover-2-ITEM-LABEL-ROSE2-/180917167037?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1f80e3bd
There are actually bids on it...lol...Some poor fools.
There is also a "blue "peony.
I often wonder if they put the bids on themselves to get people in.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 5, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9194850

Jean, remember the rainbow roses a couple of years ago...didn't one of us buy some seeds to try them, I can't remember who...
I wouldn't take home one of those noisy Devils...cute as they are...
My rucksack will be handy for those chocolates...though they're not the same anymore are they...thin and hard...not chunky now.

We went to Tassie a few years ago, and we went to a toy museum in Richmond...but we didn't go far enough south of Hobart...I remember a town called something Doo...all the houses had Doo after their names...Anthony may know it.
Very beautiful area and I want to see the west coast too.

The tulips are opening now...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 5, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9194855

I drive over the 'Richmond Bridge' about once a week.,.Its a shortcut back from the eastcoast, but a very windy road to negotiate in a truck.'Doo-town' Dianne.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2012 11:54 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 5, 2012
11:53 PM

Post #9194894

That's it Anthony...It's very funny when you see all the houses...what a great sense of humour the town has...
Here it is...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doo_Town,_Tasmania

As usual my link won't highlight so cut and paste to see Doo Town..

This message was edited Jul 6, 2012 5:54 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9195087

Dianne, it won't highlight because of the ellipsis before it. Always make sure there are no letters or punctuation immediately before or after your link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doo_Town_Tasmania

Oh, Doo tell...grin

This message was edited Jul 6, 2012 9:06 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 6, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9195679

Good morning everyone. Hubby says its freezing. Isnt it nice to be in our virtual warm world for a while.
Anthony does know how to cook a tasty meal.
We all had a feed of roasted chestnuts too...yummmm
I am going to get my chocolate from Cadburys today.
Dianne, we should have a good look around Doo Town.

Karen has gone over to the cliffs to see if she can find any pretty stones.
She will join us for lunch later.
Tassie is very pretty but has some rugged areas which have their own beauty.

I will enjoy looking around Port Arthur later too.
My convict ancestors all came through there.
I cannot imagine how frightening it would have seemed to my gt gt grandfather , being only 16 and all alone without family support.
He was one of the convicts that did go on to make a success of his life, eventually having his own boot making shop in Melbourne.
His father in law also a convict, became one of the first brickmakers in the colony of Melbourne.
Some of his bricks are still going in old buildings.

Teresa, we will be seeing you soon.
How are things going in the house now ?
Moon, we will pop in for a visit to you soon too.

Charleen, tell Charley I have a large bag of cookies for him.

Better go or Dianne will go off without me.

Everyone back at the Tea Room can enjoy this delicious. Banana Chocolate Cake.

Enjoy your weekend

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 6, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9195700

Wow, I do look forward to exploring Doo-town and surrounds on Pirates Bay. What an adventure.

I must admit, I got distracted by the scenery today and didn't really find any stones. Gathered lots of memories though.

I could live in beautiful Tasmania if it wasn't so cold and windy.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 6, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9195737

Ummm!-have you compared Canberra and Orange.,., but frosts and wind are necessary for good bulb growing
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 6, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9195752

Anthony. I love Tasmania and I know the sun does shine a lot because my daughter has been here a few times and likes the place very much.

Karen, you are just longing for the sun after all the rain you have had.

I found a bag of rocks with our luggage, but if they are not yours then who...???
Ahh, maybe they belong to Dianne. I had a feeling she had something heavy in her bag.
We will drop them in her yard as we fly over later. on the way to Teresa.

Carpet doesnt want to carry many rocks over the ocean. I think he's frightened of falling in...lol

Wait until he sees what we intend to bring back from the US..

Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012

Post #9195764

Don't forget Charley is Pulling Jeans Gypsy wagon and it will hold cyber rocks for you Karen. Charley loves these cyber trips. I just have to fly him down to Mississippi to hook him up. Then we can fly up to North Georgia and find you some rocks. What Fun...Charley loves those cookies...

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 6, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9196068

This living picture of mine that I put in the Buderim Garden Display at the Nambour Garden Expo just about drove me silly with people asking how I made it.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 6, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9196077

Moon, I hadn't noticed the comma after town...thank you...I must put in commas and full stops a lot, because it always happens when I paste...lol...next time Moon I will Doo right.

Very pretty Marlene, I've often thought about doing one, but as usual never get around to it...your's is very nice.

I suggested to Mick that he might like to give Charlie a rest from the wagon, but he said that he need more nourishment..so Ray was on hand to feed the big fat thing...Ray is the one with the beard.

Jean, I have to admit it, the bag is full of the Tesselated rocks from Eaglehawk Neck..they fascinate me...
When we went there, no way could we convince my mother that they hadn't been laid there on purpose..lol
http://www.think-tasmania.com/tessellated-pavement/
I'm checking for commas and full stops, Moon...

Glorious day here, blue skies everywhere.
Dianne.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2012 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 6, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9196083

Just after I took this pic, Mick snorted all over Ray,
Well !!!! you would think that he snorted the plague on him.

When we got home, he practically sterilised his head...he's convinced he'll get Hendra virus..
For someone who worked at Flemington racecourse for years,you'd think he'd be used to snorts...
He isn't really a horsey person at all...
or a geese person
or a duck person
or a cow person
or a sheep person
His only saving grace is that he is a dog,cat and garden person...lol

Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 6, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9196095

Dianne, I knew you were the owner of those rocks. Yes, Mick could do a share of pulling the gypsy wagon.
Mick must have been annoyed at Ray . Probably not enough hay for him. ..lol

Hubby says the sky is blue and the sun has been out all day but also there has been a freezing wind all day after a frost..
I would pat those trees you posted on the other thread too.
I always pat the lovely smooth ghost gums when we go to the Arboretum at Coleraine.
Some trees are just so touchable.

I havent seen Karen since lunch. I wonder what she has been looking at ?

Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9196563

There has got to be something there for these fellas. My Robert is about the same way.
Great picture too...Mick could guide one of the other wagons, I thought I saw three.
We have been getting rain, after we cook all day, so that is nice.
This is brug named Painted Lady, got this shot early this morning
The next one is same plant, picture taken at a normal angle...
Hummingbird getting sip of nectar
They also sit in trees and guard their "territory"
i know this is sort of fuzzy but there are two One to front and the fuzzy one.
have to be careful, sometimes they almost fly into me. I love the rascals...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 7, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9196890

Good morning everyone. . Its very quiet in the Tea Room when we are away.
Probably too cold for most to be out and about here.
The first frost was just visible in the cottage garden yesterday but doesnt seem to have done any damage to anything.
I had cut the whole garden back weeks ago so not a lot to be affected.

Lucky we are in a virtual world down here at Anthonys place as it gets so cold early in the mornings.

We have enjoyed some delicious meals and seeing more of Tassie.
Today we will have to get Carpet moving so we can get over to see Teresa.

I am looking forward to seeing those spotty friends of hers.
I hope Sugar doesnt start chewing on Carpet.

Look for us around afternoon tea time Teresa. We have to zip over the mainland and drop off a few bags of rocks collected down here.
Karen had a great time looking for new ones and Dianne has half of Tassie in her bag , I think.
I have some tree ferns I just couldnt resist.
We have enjoyed Anthonys hospitality and seeing Cocky again.
Not sure if he is coming with us or staying home to look after all his lovely plants.

Better make sure the elves have put out something tasty for morning tea . ..
Yes, good little fellows have left out these Chocolate Ginger Slices.

keep warm and safe
Jean.

pic 2... crater lake.
pic 3 ...lavender farm
pic 4...rainforest

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 7, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9197216

Jean, I don't have half of Tassie, only a bit of Tassie...lol...Karen's bag is heavier than mine...
Looking forward to our trip to NZ,
Anthony, was still celebrating Carlton's win over the 'Pies...so I don't suppose he would want to travel far...
Has anyone heard how Colleen is?...

Teresa might be in her house by now...good time to visit...
Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 8, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9197420

sitting on the couch enjoying the paint fumes...
hubby & had a busy day, we just brought a few essentials back from the hangar & have set up the bed, tv & internet & hung new curtains in the bedroom.
We bought curtains for the lounge & dining room but they can wait.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 8, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9197430

just a few pics of the new look house...

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 8, 2012
2:48 AM

Post #9197433

Teresa, A question arose during discussion today, as to reasons, 'why arent you allowed a wood fire'- Im sure you can answer it in an easy sentence,.,.,.,Dianne, We are the Navy Blues- Returning Eddys low shot---- maybe Collingwood could use MIck Malthouses services at the moment,.,.Ha Ha- Im riding every minute of it,.,.,I may even win the work tipping ,this week
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 8, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9198021

Good morning everyone.
Well we left Anthony celebrating after the football.

I hope noone was in the backyards at Karens & Diannes houses when we dropped their rocks off.

We did drop them off too, right off the edge of the carpet.
Now we are off to see Teresa and her new look house.
Tassie was lovely but I am really looking at seeing plenty of NZ now.

Teresa we will see you today after you finish work.
Carpet will take us on a tour of your lovely area . I hope there are no shakes while we are here.

Hubby says the cold wind is still there so I am glad to be riding around in the perfect weather of the virtual world.

Charleen and Moon , look out for us flying in soon.

The elves are being very well behaved and are not forgetting to put out food for the stay at homes.
Today there is a large plate of delicious Chocolate Eclairs.

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 8, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9198110

Hi Everyone, Gosh Colleen backs must be the go just now. I drove over to Portland to see friends on Wednesday and came back Thursday with a bad back. GRRR How I hate being under the weather.

My handyman is coming back to today to finish the Chook pen so I must be able to 'subbie' for him.
Teresa the house looks great , you will have it in working order in no time- it must be good to get back into your own bed in your own home.

I have to get ready to go out into the cold for this job today.Brr I am so over the cold when my body gives out.

Have a great day everyone.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 8, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9198155

There you are Sue. I thought we had lost you . I was sure you were on the carpet then we left after seeing Colleen.
You must have caught the bad back from her ..lol

I hope all the backs recover as it is not an easy time . I know from myself & hubby.
Take it easy and we will bring something nice back from the US

Your preserves didnt last long. They are gone already. I have a feeling Anthony liked them very much.

Sue can you get out to the garden and I will get Carpet to swoop down low so you can climb aboard.
I know you wanted to see NZ and visit Charleen.

Charleen & Moon, I hope we can bring some cold air with us for you. It seems to be awfully hot over there at the moment.

Maybe the Earth is getting ready to go back to its normal cycle of volcanoes and giant ice sheets.
People forget that our planet has spent millennia being hot and dry then dark and icy.

Watching a show on the beginnings of the universe the other night and it was really interesting to see just how accidental we are.
A time when this planet had just the right conditions for life to begin .
Even so, there have been many extinctions since that time.

Humans are so arrogant in the belief that everything is perfect and that we important.
Hah... I have news for them. We are nothing but another species in a long line of creatures that have come & gone.
One day we will be gone too. I wonder what the next dominant creature will be ?

Maybe Earth will end up like Mars.
Our magnetic field is the only thing that protects us, If it changes...ooops, there we go flying off into space...

Sorry, didnt mean to sound like I was lecturing.
It all just interests me so much. I do get annoyed at those who are blaming humanity for the climate.
Mother Earth will do as she pleases no matter what we do.

Back to the Carpet. No more science lessons.
I just hope Carpet doesnt get the urge to fly too close to any of those NZ geysers...lol

Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2012

Post #9198157

Oh yes. temp here is a nice 92 degrees. So you will all thaw out fast. Charley has a nice pile of hay fluffed out so you will have a soft landing,. Just watch your step coming off the carpet...☺

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 8, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9198400

Hi Chookie, sorry about your back too...be careful today...We will get some hot rocks from NZ for you and Colleen.

Charleen, you will need at least that much hay for Mick to eat...I told you that he is a glutton...hide the Longears hay or he'll get that too.You have been posting some pretty Brugs...can't wait to see them.
Have you heard anything from Louise?

Dianne.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 3:45 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 8, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9198472

[quote="77sunset"]
Maybe the Earth is getting ready to go back to its normal cycle of volcanoes and giant ice sheets.
People forget that our planet has spent millennia being hot and dry then dark and icy.

Watching a show on the beginnings of the universe the other night and it was really interesting to see just how accidental we are.
A time when this planet had just the right conditions for life to begin .
Even so, there have been many extinctions since that time.

Humans are so arrogant in the belief that everything is perfect and that we important.
Hah... I have news for them. We are nothing but another species in a long line of creatures that have come & gone.
One day we will be gone too. I wonder what the next dominant creature will be ?

[/quote]

Hope that it isn't the ones in the radio serial that I have been listening to, Jean...
The "Old Ones" settled here first in Antartica before it froze over...then the Shoggoths took control and ripped their heads off, the "Old Ones" had built huge cities under the ground and the Shoggoths are still there, extremely intelligent,
just waiting, I hope they don't get hungry...lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 8, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9198474

Shogoleths...???... now I know what makes odd noises at night...lol
They are probably groaning in agony with heat deep down there. ..

Actually , from all my watching of SciFi, it was the Ancients who were the first here and one of a group of super intelligent beings that inhabited the universe from way way back..
Looking at humans today, I think the super intelligence got lost along the way...lol.

Carpet is hoping that Mick is house trained ( umm carpet trained )

Dont mention bringing hot rocks on the carpet or we may be tossed off into a hot pool...lol

Dianne, while you & Sue were chatting , I whizzed over to get some of the Zebra rock for you all from northern WA.
I have been to the gallery there and the rock is beautiful.

pics 1 & 2 ,,,zebra rock & the new area for it.
The old area is under lake Argyle.

pic 3 .. chalcopyrite ( peacock ore )

pic 4... the beautiful inland red sand.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 8, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9198504

Those rocks are beautiful Jean..
Sue put a nappy bag on Mick, she needs the manure...so carpet need have no fear of getting dirty..

Getting close now, there is Teresa...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 9, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9198517

Hohoho...sorry I disappeared today. Had a nasty dental appointment. More than 6 hours later the jaw is still numb, though wearing off slowly. Had 3 needles and none of them worked. Was a very traumatic session, finishing what he started last time but couldn't do more because of the bleeding (he caused). He went more easy on me today, so no bleeding, just pain. Get the final bit done in 2 weeks when the crown is done.

Won't sit any longer. Just wanted to read the mail, then eat (if I can) then go to bed early.

Have fun.
Karen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 9, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9198543

short answer to the 'why aren't we allowed log fires' question...

particulates.

more detail?
burning wood pollutes the air with particulates that can cause respiratory disease , pellet fires burn cleaner & emit fewer particulates.

There are low emission log burners available but they weren't approved when we upgraded.

Look forward to giving the grand tour. Hubby & I managed to get the new curtains up in the lounge, we have matching ones for the dining room but they can wait another night.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 9, 2012

Post #9198552

[quote="dalfyre"]just a few pics of the new look house...[/quote]

Teresa you must be so pleased with the renovations. Amazing transformation.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 9, 2012
3:29 AM

Post #9198575

Ok
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 9, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9199320

Shogolethes???? That wasn't them groaning Jean, it was me. Oh boy, what a week. My lower back is out and it's jammed a nerve in my left leg. I can at least stand up for some time now. I'm not supposed to be sitting, only standing or laying. Have to go back to the doctor's today to get more pain killers and anti-inflamatories then go for an x-ray and back to the physio Friday. He has taped my lower back and you would not believe the relief. Last night was the first night that I've slept in bed, I've been on the couch propped up since last Wednesday. The boys will need a huge reward when Gran's better. They have been little troopers. Branden has been making meals, salads and fish fingers and even cooked some meat and veg the other night. He's been dishing it up too. They don't like doing dishes though so a friend of mine has been coming and tidying up, helping them make their beds etc. Must go sorry I can't be with you when you get to NZ and so sorry I missed Tassie. Never mind next time. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 9, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9199448

Good morning everyone.
Karen , I did wonder where you went when we dropped off your rocks.
So sorry you are laid up too.
It seems to be the time of year for ailments of all sorts.

Sue , I see you are still with us . I hope your back is not too bad now.

Dianne, I am so glad Mick is well trained. I had visions of him being tipped off Carpet over the Pacific Ocean.

Colleen, you are lucky to have the boys there to help. I hope all goes well for you now and take it very slow.

Teresa , I think we are just about at your place. I see steam and hot water sprays...

Ooops, wrong island...silly Carpet went flying over the north island. Maybe he was cold and wanted to see the warmer places...lol

Looking forward to seeing more of the house now its done.

Charleen, we are getting a bit closer. Tell Charley cookies are coming.

The elves have put out yummy things for morning tea for those back in the tea Room...an old favorite... Lamingtons

take care
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9199467

We are waiting. I got the long ears their pictures taken.
Annabelle
The lovely naked Annabelle.
AT Monticello, the little furry Fellow
Magnificent Charley
They saw something is reason I got the pictures. they were in their. Do we stand or run mode...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 9, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9199902

Hi everyone,

Colleen I hope your back is improving , mine is a pain - literally. Samer as you in lower back and can't put right foot to floor without pain.
Fencer didn't come as it rained - thank goodness, as I would have been no use at all. Can't get comfy not sitting, lying or upright darn it.I have put off going to town and now am late with my grandaughters pressie to Perth but driving was beyond me. Hope today to try.

Have been using the eeverse aircon as I can't chop the wood so my power bill will be astronomical.

Dianne what series were you watching - was it a John Wyndham story? It rings a bell but I can't place it.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 9, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #9199923

You and Colleen, really got the worst of it, Chookie...and you can't do much except rest up...
Hope it doesn't last too long for you both...
Karen, poor you...I went a couple of weeks ago for an xray and a small filling...still hate the sound of that drill.

No, chookie not on TV...it's a radio serial...I am a devoted fan of the BBC and have been for years...they have plays of all sorts inc Hancock's Half Hour, Steptoe, Dr Who, Jane Austin's works, science fiction, drama, you name it and they will have it. The other day I listened to The Black Narcissus, Deborah Kerr was in the original movie..

The scary one has finished now and it was called "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft..there was a movie but it must have been a dud...there is a trailer on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw3tuiND_xk

I love radio plays much better and I can listen when I like...

I want to see the Kakapo, while we are in NZ, I have been following one on FB for ages...they are trying to increase the population...
Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 9, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9199924

Who wouldn't love this face...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 10, 2012
2:59 AM

Post #9199961

We need some rain here , to warm things up!!! 4 1/2 frosts so far, i know we need more, but we need rain too..Water off here 'again' today[burst main up the road]- had a cup of coffee,[that was the last of the boiled water]..,couldnt clean birds cages or use toilet, shower/shave[my legs] ha ha,.,.We are certainly copping it[Phone-Power-Water]-All continually failing
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 10, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9200691

Good morning everyone.
Its nice to be finally at Teresa's house.. i had to drop Dianne off while I rushed back home on Carpet for my doctors appointment. finally , I am getting an xray and ultra sound to see what is going on in my shoulder .
I hope all our other friends with problems a re feeling a little easier today.

I am back at Teresa's in time for breakfast and I hope to see lots of the area.
Dianne, I saw a Nat. Geographic show on those parrots and they are certainly different.
NZ , like Aust. has some unique creatures.

We found Teresa's dogs to be so friendly and cute.
Sugar was trying to chew the edge of Carpet so we put him in a cupboard ( Carpet, not Sugar )...lol
We are hoping to see more of the south island and then pop up to the north island for a short tour.

Charleen , we are getting closer.
Only the Pacific Ocean to cross and then we will see you & Moon.
Must pop up to see how Louise is going too.
I want to stop over in Hawaii on our way back, for a look at the flowers. .

Dianne and I are feeling a bit alone without all our injured friends.
It will be nice to find some pretty rocks to take back for them all.

Better go and see whats for breakfast.
Teresa has a lovely home and will have fun getting her garden back to how she likes it after a few heavy feet squished some plants. during the renovations.

The elves have put out some lovely warm Pumpkin Bread..
All those back in the Tea Room , enjoy the day and your morning tea.

Some pics of NZ and one of the very naughty Keas,

Jean.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 10, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9200768

Oh Dianne, I looked up the Kakapo parrot on the web as I'd never heard of it, and found this hilarious video. Warning, it is quite sexually explicit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY&feature=player_embedded

What an incredible bird. I do hope they can bring them back from the edge of extinction. Where on FB are you following it?

Am feeling much better today though I do need to get to the shops. Thanks for the rocks Jean. I look forward to going through them soon.

Chookie I hope you warm up soon there. I dread my next power bill, but in truth, my gas bill is more scary as it has the hot water on it. No one person can use so much gas, so it must be the cheap hot water service that dept. housing put in that is using all the gas. I've had it checked, but its relatively new and they say its acting as it should act.

To everyone with winter aches and ills, take care.
Karen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 10, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9200911

Good morning all, I did go to Po this morning but then straight back- hate making the kids wait for their pressies. My back is not good still hurts to put foot to floor or to walk, sit etc only lying on my side with legs pulled up seems to help. Am trying heat now.

Dianne being Lovecraft I may have read the book version , I have a big SF collection and so does my son and we swap a lot.He is coming this weekend for the first time since Xmas so that will be nice.

I have about 300 books on my ipad now and they are great for travelling and reading in bed. My boss gave it to me as a retirement pressie and I thought it would just sit and do nothing, but I use it almost daily and my grandaughter loves to chat on it too. Still like my real books too though! LOL what is best about it is I don't need to have the light on as it has it's own inbuilt lighting on the page like a computer screen, and I can change the print to large if I am tired. So no insects coming in to the light at night in Summer when I read in bed. The little ones get in even through mesh screens and closed windows so my ipad cancels that problem.

Jean what a trip and you have organised it so well. Sorry I 'fell'' off halfway.

This morning one of the neighbours cows was in my backyard and demolished my potato patch & rhubarb completely plus trampling broccoli and broad beans GRRRR. And not through the new fence but it came in via the road. I woke to hearing the man chasing it through my backyard and back up the road. Vege beds a mess - but some new manure for the compost heap! LOL

Karen I just had an instantaneous LPG gas hot water service put in, but it doesn't use much gas, my washing machine uses cold and so does the dishwasher so it's just showers really.(but both use more power to heat because of that).I did read that a air con with reverse cycle is the cheapest power to heat with, so I am hoping but sceptical. No choice until I can use the axe again though.
No sign of the fencer yet as its still wet here. Grey skies very heavy with rain, yard is pretty well soaked and all my tanks are running over.Had to leave a hose open on one overnight when I fed Lulu as it was running back under the tank and undercutting the sand it sits on, so I put it out onto the lawn with the nectarine tree. Not that it really needed more water either.LOL ... and that was my outdoors for yesterday and today. Later I will try and redirect the overflow from so close to the tank. At least I know it goes back into the watertable which is pretty high here at only about 12 - 20 feet.

Colleen I hope your back is improved, and everyone has a good day.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 11, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9201233

Karen, it was on that TV show with Stephen Fry ( who I think is magnificent) that I became aware of the Kakapo... If you can fall in love with a bird, then I absolutely love looking at this one...
http://www.facebook.com/siroccokakapo

I like your glass half full attitude, chookie...manure for the compost...Who is Lulu?
Interesting about the Ipad, google is coming out with a $200 tablet soon, I'm going to have a look at that...

Just think Jean, seeing that everyone else has jumped ship, we can just lie back on the carpet and take in the view...lol
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 11, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9201343

Hi everyone. I'm on the mend at last. Still can't do anything much but took a short walk out in the yard this morning. My niece came and hung the washing out for me and another friend came and did some shopping so we're being looked after well. The boys are feeling a bit insecure as they want to sleep with me in my bed. Last night was the first night that I've actually stayed there. The other nights I've got up and come out to the lounge as I just couldn't lay down. I've got another physio app. Friday so hopefully by then I'll be mended. Just as well John took the boys camping otherwise they wouldn't have got to do anything. They've been real little troopers. Chookie I hope that your back gets better quickly too. Hope everyone else is well and I'll be back tomorrow if things keep going okay. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9201374

Charley was standing at the gate yesterday wondering where you all were.
Colleen I do hope you and Chookie get to feeling much better.
Cows can cause some serious damage with their running about. I guess the man didn't say a word about it, did he????
Hugs and well wishes to all and nuzzles too from the big red mule...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 11, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9201951

Good morning everyone.
We are on our way to the US t to see Charleen & Charley.
Teresa was very busy getting her house back to how she likes it. We did have some fun with the dogs.
Copper is so gentle and I can see why Sugar is such a darling despite her naughty ways.

I had to stop Dianne smuggling a Kakapo onto Carpet.
I would have liked one of the Kiwis myself.
Teresa tried to give us some possums...lol
I said we had enough over in Oz and were happy to share then with NZ.

Charleen we will see you tomorrow. Dianne & I are spending the day in Hawaii to look at all the flowers.
Saw some whales while flying over the ocean.

I am hoping Charley & friends will be pleased to see us.
I look forward to seeing lots of your state. I have a small book on Georgia from a friend.
It looks like a wonderful place. .

I hope all those backs are healing well and you are all resting in the tea Room.
Lucky we have a Magic Carpet as I have to have an x-ray & ultrasound on my shoulder tomorrow, so will be able to get it all done and zip back to see Charleen.

The elves have been very good about leaving goodies out for those back home.
Today I think there is Chocolate Cake..

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9201974

I am with Dianne. I would absolutely adore a Kakapo...so if ya think of smuggling one...GRIN

Wagons are ready Ladies...not much fossicking here, but lots of pre and ante bellum homes and of course New Orleans

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9201988

Love all the critters. We just won't let them go into pasture. but Charley and donkey kids will be waiting at the gate for visits and treats. They expect them. Come on over and don't get into any air currents.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 11, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9202033

Well, just to be different, I baked some Anzac biscuits for us, and Charlie and friends. Hope everyone likes them. I love them soft and chewy rather than hard and crispy.

Hope everyone is recovering/recovered now. My tooth has settled down though still inflamed around the gum. Looking forward to getting out of this grey weather for a while. Where is that carpet?

Chookie, I envy you the instant gas hot water heater. I used to have one, and my gas bills were negligible. Then the dept. housing in all its wisdom put cheap constant heating storage gas hot water service in all the houses, and the amount I pay for it for one person is unbelievable. I don't even have to use it to get a high bill. It is over twice as much as my electricity bill.

New Zealand has some really amazing, unique birds, and it would be great to see more conservation efforts made to protect them. Like our unique Aussie animals being forced out, to lose them would be a world loss and they can't be replaced.

Jean, do you have your ultra sound results back yet? If its a frozen shoulder, they may not be able to do much. Good luck with it.

Hello everyone else who is popping in. Hope you all have a really nice day.
Karen

Found an infestation of Milk Weed bugs on the side fence. Hope they don't eat my epiphyllums as a couple of the plants are covered with them too.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 4:56 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 11, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9202066

Sorry Karen, Carpet can get a bit uppy when he is let out.
He should have picked you up by now. .
Maybe he is waiting until tomorrow when he has to zip me back for an hour or so for my x-ray etc.

Dont worry , we will get you one way or another.
Cant have those biscuits going to waste. I like them chewy too.

The doctor thinks I may have some tearing where the muscles join the bone at the shoulder.
It can be age related and not due to anything I have done to myself.
Whatever it is , its B****** painful. More so during the night when one wants to sleep.
The other pain I am getting in the same are seems to be unrelated, but we'll see what the ultra sound says.

Very nice laying back on Carpet in the warm though. I do like the virtual world where a cuppa will be there when you wish it.
i keep hearing odd noises from the back of the carpet and I am sure Dianne has something alive back there.
I just hope its not a giant NZ weta.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 11, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9202279

No Jean, not a Weta...but wait 'till you see what I have... there are 2 of them, one for you and one for Moon..
They are adorable...Charleen I know that you love critters, but Charley would get jealous...
Take a look..
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/rare-white-kiwi-chick-born-at-new-zealand-wildlife-centre-in-time-for-christmas/story-e6frfq80-1226228438202

If I didn't have the Kakapo in my bag I would have kept one for myself...lol
Dianne.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2012 3:21 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 11, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9202305

Oooooooohhhhhhhh how cute...

Dont let them out in Hawaii.
I dont want the poor things falling in some volcanic lava.

Arent these flowers so beautiful..
I was very careful not to get too close to the the lava field .
I did think we both looked great in the hula skirts...LOL

Jean

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 12, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9202366

that wee kiwi has an older sister...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manukura-Little-White-Kiwi/218964361454747

I put the new curtains up in the dining room last night, the house should be a lot warmer now.

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 12, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9202373

Just popped in to see what everyone was up to.

Karen...I can't say I recognize those Milk Weed bugs. If I have them they are sneekey little blighters!

Jean...I hope your test prove it is nothing to worry about.

Teresa...you certainly are a busy lady.

A wave to everyone else.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9202554

THEY HAVE WHISKERS!!!!! I love them. so cute.
Such cute little things. We can keep them in front yard, Missy will not let them be hurt. Charley and long ears likes to Tap Dance on things so we won't let it in there.
Charley and Donkey kids have their heads in the hay today, maybe they won't see you as you buzz in...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9202607

Dianne, those baby Kiwis are beautiful.

When you have time, you may want to check out this footage...Fire Goddess Pele and her volcano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rk3oW4aahQ
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 12, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9203022

Good morning everyone.
We will be arriving at Charleen's place today after a lovely time sightseeing around beautiful Hawaii.
Charleen, I had to buy more cookies for Charley as his were eaten by Tilly.
Dianne left Tilly with Carpet while we were checking out the shops. When we arrived back... no more cookies...lol

Karen is back with us after a quick trip by Carpet to pick her up.
We are hoping t arrive by lunchtime unless we see something else to visit along the way.
I know Karen & Dianne want to get a glimpse of the Grand Canyon.

The elves tell me it has been very cold and damp at home so we are in the best place at the moment.
I will be zipping off to have my x-ray & ultrasound later but it wont take long.

I hope all those still at home are feeling a lot better.
Teresa, your home is lovely and we did enjoy the visit.

The elves have left something nice out for morning tea for you all... a lovely Layer Cake ( with lots of cream )
See you later, Keep warm & safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9203046

We are waiting. Know Moon is eager to see you too!!!
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 12, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9203059

Zoom zoom zoom...wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...never had so much fun! Love crossing the ocean. I hate getting my feet wet, but flying over it is fantastic! Jean, was a bit embarrassed about my figure, so put my hula skirt on over the pink snow suit that Dianna got me :). Hahaha...glad you didn't get a pic of that. I have a cyber friend in Hawaii who sent some incredible pics of the lava flow. It was only fairly recent, wasn't it? Anyway, at least one of his friends lost their house. Must have been so scary, watching it flow with no way of stopping it. I didn't watch the video yet Moon, as I'm short on time. Today is Barry's birthday and I'm taking him out to lunch. Tomorrow is my youngest sister's birthday, so she is coming with us today. We do this every year, so I'll be absent from the carpet ride for most of the day.

Marlene, I read up on the milkweed bugs, and apparently its best to leave them be. Thing is, I don't have milkweed here, so don't know what they are after. Maybe they don't eat much at this stage.

The baby white kiwi birds are so cute. Had trouble with that link, Dianne, but soon found plenty of pics of a couple of them.

Teresa, the house looks great. That fire looks great too.

Colleen, hope your back holds up, and Chookie, you take care and don't lift anything heavy or you could be seriously hurt and not be able to do anything.

Hello to our US friends. I hope to get back to finish our carpet tour there as I expect it will be some time before we are over that way again.

Have a great day.
Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 13, 2012
1:46 AM

Post #9203567

Charleen, the thought of the longears trying to tap dance on the baby Kiwis,conjures up a funny sight...
They are very quick those little things...
Moon aren't Volcano films amazing to watch...to think that we are looking at melted rock actually flowing...

Karen, I think that the 3 of us did a reasonable Hula and the fact that you kept knocking Jean and I off our feet, because you were wearing the snow suit...didn't deter us at all...

The Grand Canyon was amazing, wasn't it...now for Charleen...

Jean, I hope those Xrays and scans went well...when do you get the results?

Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 13, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #9203572

well I was cleaning Sugar's crate & found the corner she chewed off Carpet... we should have put her in the cupboard while you were visiting...
hope it hasn't affected Carpet's aerodynamics ;)

So far my destructo dal is being good - but as she is in season she is confined to quarters & no chance for mischief.

Copper is finding her very interesting right now - he might be neutered but that doesn't completely wipe out the instincts.

I will be so glad when the 3 weeks is over & we can relax with them.
It is a juggle to keep them apart & they alternate outside time which makes potty breaks take twice as long.
Not to mention Sugar can't be walked as it is illegal to take an in season bitvch out in public.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012

Post #9203753

Yeah!!! We are eagerly wait for your visit. Charley is waiting.
My Farrier came this morning and gave the "Kids" a trim. They don't like it but they love the grooming before he gets here.
Charley had a nail in his foot, John pulled it out. Now Charley is better. John said "no wonder, he had his but on his shoulders." It bleed when he pulled it out. Next trim is September.
After he got them trimmed up and got their feet in good shape, they don't seem to need to be trimmed as much.
We got Rain last night. the humidity was bad but it got better as morning as gone by.
They are still have their "instincts" AT still thinks he is a Romeo and he has been castrated since he was 6 mo. old.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 13, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9204192

Good morning everyone.
Well we are finally in Georgia and landed at Charleens place.
It may take us a while to get to the house as we landed in Charleys paddock and he is standing on the edge of Carpet.
Carpet is not happy about this, but Charley wont move.
You know how mules can be ??
I think he wants all the cookies at once.
I think I see Abigail & Kaitlin coming so hopefully Charleen will be with them and can move Charley.

We had a great time flying over the country side and there are so many places we would have liked to stop , but just looked from above.
We are looking forward to seeing much more of the area around here.

Heeeeelllppp, Charleen, come and rescue Carpet..

The elves have put out nibbles for morning tea back in the Tea Room...

Stay safe
Jean.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 13, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9204197

Sorry about leaving off the nibbles for you all. I clicked the wrong button and I I blame Charley for bumping me as I was typing. ...lol

Heres morning tea for those back in the Tea Room.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 13, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9204242

While waiting for Charleen to rescue the carpet, I am able to give Charlie lots of hugs (and just the odd cookie). Looking forward to meeting the girls too, two legged as well as four.

Another day out today. We are going down to my sisters so Barry can help get her computer behaving properly again. Just little things but they make computer life dreary when you are unable to just press a button and do your thing. Will probably have a burger lunch down by the bay, and will check on the osprey nest to see what we can see.

Jean and Dianne, sorry about bumping you off the stage while doing the hula. I just needed extra room to do my thing...hehehe.

Hello everyone popping in. Hope all is well.
Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 14, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9205224

Good morning everyone. It rained all day yesterday and hubby says we had over an inch which the plants will love.

Charleen has a lovely place and we are going to enjoy some sightseeing today..
We will get to see Moon a bit later in the week.

Carpet is hanging around in a cupboard sulking because Charley stood on him.
He'll get over it and be wanting to fly around again.

Charley and his other furry friends are so funny with their antics.

I hope all those back home are feeling much better by now..
Its not nice having continuous pain especially in the cold weather.

Karen is s till laughing over our attempts with hula dancing in Hawaii.
I dont think I'd try that again.
She did look a bit odd with her pink snow suit though.

Dianne is has more rocks and I have a nice piece of lava for my garden.
I would like to see some of the waterways in Georgia but do not want to meet any of the larger inhabitants...lol

The elves are being very good back in the Tea Room. They have put out morning tea . ...Banana & Date Loaf..
It wont be long before they are off back to the North Pole getting ready for Christmas..

Keep warm everyone
Jean.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9205260

EEeewewew...that croc is a monster. I love those giant lotus flowers in the lake though. Such beauties they are.

So, off sight seeing today. Is it day or night at home now? I need to stop off and do some shopping or Barry will go hungry while I'm away.

Hope everyone is having a really pleasant weekend.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9205328

The kids are all standing at the fence wishing you a good, safe trip home on that Fancy Carpet.They said if they had a barn they would like to have one just like it. But they are very contented to just go roll in their dust piles than use a rug.
However they did enjoy your visit. They wanted to eat the Grass skirts and flowers you got in Hawaii. especially the Plumerias that was so rich in sweet scents...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 14, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9205454

How polite are those longears...bidding us a safe trip home...thanks Charleen for a lovely day...
your garden is lovely...
Karen, I hope you bought Barry something to eat...it's been a few days...lol
It will be nice to be home again soon and carpet is spluttering over the Pacific...those Longears probably rolled him in the sand...
I have lots of souvenirs and rocks so I have had a very good trip..
thanks Jean.
I forgot to say that I hope Colleen and Chookie are feeling a lot better now and hope to hear from them soon.
Dianne.

Anthony, what have you been up to while we were away?...

This message was edited Jul 15, 2012 1:53 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 15, 2012

Post #9205581

A fair bit!...Very pre-occupied with the upcoming daffodil show and full day hours at work,[to the point of exhaustion],.but fortunately i was not pre occupied enough to notice that Sooty was not right!I think i knew what was wrong and was scared to take him to the vet for a diagnosis,[which i had seen before in 'Fudges' demise]-He has diabetes!The biggest and toughest cat in the suburb, has managed to beat feline aids and infections , to succumb to this..He has a poor white blood cell count, but does not have cancer,..,he does not have kidney or eye damage,but does have cataracts on both eyes..he did not react well to fridays initial dose of insulin, and would not eat or drink whilst in their care.,.so they sent him home, to go back on Tuesday for a glucose rise test,.and then we start with the injections,.,,Man alive, i dont know what i did wrong in the christian society to deserve all these years of upsets, but it must have been bad.,.An old lady 'Barb'[my best lily customer] knitted me a scarf and gave it to me today,..,Sooty thinks its great-sleeping and rolling in it, [its very warm], now hes asleep in my dining room chair, in front of the fire, after an entree of ham and a small main of 'santamaria-sardines',.,.,My left elbow has given up the ghost too, so its making moving cocky from house to house each day, a chore and bringing up the firewood isnt easy either...At the moment , i just have to stop, take a couple of deep breaths and go for it.very frustrating-Anthony
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 15, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9205619

Hi all. Am starting to feel a bit better and took my first walk outside today up to the chook house. The boys have been doing a great job of looking after everything. They've all been fed and watered each day, the cats twice a day. Back to school for them tomorrow so they can have a bit of a rest. Just as well they went camping the first weekend of the holidays as we haven't done anything else. I will make it up to them as soon as I can. Hope you're all well and how is your back coming along Chookie? I'm sorry I had to get off the carpet. It sounds as though you've had a wonderful time and will be tickled pink to see some of the rocks that you've collected. Be back in when I can. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 15, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9206199

Good morning all. Anthony, so sorry to hear about Sooty and the diabetes. Its a dreadful disease and needs quite tight control to keep one feeling right. Took me years to get it under some form of control. Hope Sooty adjusts quickly and starts feeling great again real soon.

Colleen, glad you are starting to feel better. Being down and out is a pain for any reason, but backs make you feel so helpless. Don't worry about the boys. They will learn that you aren't there simply to keep them entertained, and that helping you makes them feel good too.

Dianne, I still haven't been shopping but had plenty of eggs in the fridge, so Barry may well be clucking by the time I get round to shopping again.

Charleen, our last view of Charlie and Company as we left. I'll always remember it.

Too cold to sit so off to do something to warm me up. Have a good day.
Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 15, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9206265

Good morning everyone..
We had a great time with Charleen and dropped in quickly to see Moon.
It took us a while to get back here as Carpet was flying rather erratically due to his habit of stopping to admire his new colors. He wanted a tattoo but I convinced him not to , so he sneaked off and had his threads dyed while we were having a last afternoon tea with Charleen.
He looks pretty though.

Nice to see home again but so lovely to visit across the pond.
I hope the elves were looking after everyone back here.

It seems we have a room full of people not feeling all that well .
I hope you are all starting to come good now.

I did try to bring some sunshine back but I am afraid it got lost over the Pacific somewhere.

Anthony, I hope Sooty is coming along okay now. Diabetes is not a good thing for anyone, person or animal, to have.

Karen has popped home to see how Barry existed on eggs while we were gone and Dianne has so many rocks , I see anew rock garden coming in her yard...lol

I am watching the rain sprinkles and wishing we back in the sun again.

Better get moving and catch up on all things domestic.

Here a treat for you all. for morning tea...Apple and Blueberry Shortcake ...
and a look at Carpets new color..

Keep safe & warm
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9206380

It had a color change. So pretty.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 15, 2012
10:52 PM

Post #9206690

Hello Everyone, I am back on deck now, still walking "carefully" but able to get around.No lifting though.
Sorry I missed the last of the 'travels' but glasd all had a good time.

I put a long message up this morning early and now I see it didn't go through- I must have logged off too soon I guess.

My son has been here for a few days - nice- I haven't seen him since christmas, but he mostly spent it on the computer - he is a true nerd and just cannot stay off it.
Chookington Palace is coming along as you will see from the pics below.Just wire and cement floor to do now.
Lulu will love it- she has been following me all around the yard- she misses her pal LJ who sadly died of Marek's disease- Last time I buy hens from that place - they didn't immunise the chicks it seems, lucky Lulu didn't catch it too.( a bit like distemper for hens).Lulu has a lovely black tipped "collar" and is so friendly.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 16, 2012
12:55 AM

Post #9206711

well all this interesting info on gemstones had me reading up more on the net...
and when I was chatting to the sales assistant at Michael Hill in the mall across the road from work I was offered a job!

Or at least the opportunity to apply for one, the woman was impressed by my knowledge & enthusiasm but I am happy with the Merino Outlet so will stick with the job I have.

It has been really warm here but I think tomorrow night that is predicted to change.
just have to wait & see what happens.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 16, 2012

Post #9207641

Good morning everyone.
A cold wind here again this morning but the rain has gone for awhile.

Sue lovely to see your chicken house coming along.
You will appreciate all the fresh eggs when you get going.
I do miss having chooks but there is no way I am feeding Foxy Loxy again.

Charleen, we had a lovely time with you and Charley is very huggable.

Teresa, it was very nice to be offered another job but you do seem to be enjoying where you are.
Hope your warm weather hangs around for awhile. How is Miss Mischief coming along ?

Karen, You are sounding much better now, the carpet trip must have helped.

Dianne, where did you put all your rocks. There were enough for a nice rock garden...lol

Anthony, hope Sooty is coming along with his medication now.
Hope your aches & pains improve soon .

Colleen , nice to hear you are feeling much better too. Glad the boys were a help to you .

The elves have gone back to the North Pole after looking after the Tea Room.
Lots to do up there getting ready for Christmas.

I will put out something delicious for morning tea and then go sit in the virtual sun on the patio.
It will be a while before I see the real sun here.
Try this yummy GingerBread Cake...

Keep safe and warm
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 16, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9207784

Hi All, hope it's a great day for you all today.

Teresa here is a great Aussie site for those interested in gemstones with members from all round the world.
All the members share their knowledge freely ( except sometimes they don't tell exactly where they have good finds ! LOL- big secret)
http://aussiesapphire.com.au/forum/index.php
and this one is a good learning site.

Lovely sunny morning today and I am feeling more frisky - a bit like Charlie I think - best I have felt for 2 weeks thank goodness.Won't be lifting anything heavy though that's for sure.

Back to sorting out the studio and I have definitely decided to have a garage sale in the Spring - Dianne I WILL get rid of some books - they are now on the floor as no more shelves - gosh where did they all come from? - and I have too much "stuff' and still unpacking. I think I am a magpie and just 'collect'. grrr.

Have a good day everyone have to get into it while I am good.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9207902

Well, Carpet chose his colours well, didn't he. Very nice. Wouldn't mind him sitting in my lounge room looking so spunky.

Chookie, Barry looked at your Chookington Palace and called it Cackleberry Castle. But he admires it. Lulu is a very lucky chookie. Glad you are feeling better, but don't push it until you are completely healed (like about next summer). I know I'm a collector of "things" too. Enjoy them while you have them, and let go when you must. I always say of things I am letting go of, they did the job they were meant to do at the time, but now they can move on and with a bit of luck, someone else can get some enjoyment from them.

Teresa, you made me laugh. You must have done some rather heavy reading to have impressed the sales assistant so much.

Jean, love gingerbread cake. Yum. Love these cyber cakes - not fattening at all.

Hi Charleen. Thanks for yours and Charlies hospitality on our visit. We had a great time. Hope Dianne enjoys those rocks. I got a few nice ones myself.

Hi to everyone else too. Have a great day.
Karen

This magnificent Osprey caught himself a fish, and we managed to catch him (on camera) eating it. He is high up atop a mobile phone tower. There is a nest there too, so maybe his mate is now sitting on her eggs while he hunts fish to bring to her.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 17, 2012
1:40 AM

Post #9208293

Anthony, so sorry that you are having a lousy run...hopefully Spring will be here soon and your Show will be a raging success...
Is that where carpet went, to the dye shop...he looks very nice.

Lulu will be a very lucky chook, chookie...it's coming along nicely...for your books and spare stuff, don't
forget your Sunday market...
That Gem site is a beauty, but they speak a language of their own...lol

Lovely shot of the Osprey, Karen...did you ever see Margaret from WA's fantastic thread on her local Ospreys?
Jean, the seeds arrived and I will post tomorrow...customs did check them...
Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 17, 2012
1:57 AM

Post #9208297

well the good weather continues here...
we had a delivery of new stock from Velocity
http://www.velocitynz.co.nz/

I love their stuff & bought myself a black merino shrug, it is so snuggly :)

I do love my job, enjoy working with people & the product is lovely... we get a 20% discount so that helps when I give in to temptation.

we had 66 boxes of our Core range delivered, most are going up to Auckland but the shop is being restocked & I have put dibs on a blue scoop neck jumper... there only only 2 in my size so if you don't call dibs you dip out.

Last time there were seconds available to staff at $20.00 - I missed out as they started in the office & the only one in my size was snapped up by another staff member.
Hopefully this time I will get what I want but as the seconds are in the office again I am not holding my breath.

take care everyone - our weather report shows rain coming for eastern aussie from Adelaide to Brisbane & Tassie looks to be wet too...
hope it's not too bad!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9208756

So glad everyone enjoyed themselves. Charley loves meeting folks. They love to bring him food which he loves...The more the merrier.
Weather is nice here today, doesn't seem as hot but it will warm up.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 17, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9209242

Good morning everyone.
We had a lovely sunny day yesterday so I planted the rest of my broad beans ..
Very carefully and only with my right hand, I am still babying my left until I see the doctor in 2 weeks.

Teresa, you were right . The rain started in the late afternoon and we had some good showers. Still misty outside this morning .
Great that you can get some bargains at your work. At least you will be warm.

Charleen, there is some beautiful scenery in Georgia. We did enjoy our time there.
I left all the cookies with Charlie. I am sure he shared with the others...lol

Sue,your idea of a garage sale is a good one to get rid of extra stuff. I hope it goes better than mine did a few years ago.
Noone came at all..Comes from living out of town on a back road.

Karen, I love the osprey. Used to see them while fishing off the wharf in Geraldton (WA)
They had a large nest there too.
We often get hawks and the odd eagle sitting on hubbys tall tower here. They look for mice and bush rats.

Dianne. have you put all your rocks away ?
I have a place I would love to visit again but am never likely to now.
It was way out in the outback with lots of beautiful rocks and some which were very unusual.
It was an accidental find while tracking kangaroos on foot. Many years ago now .
The rocks looked like they had been melted. I always wondered if they were from some ancient meteorite hitting that area.

Anthony, how are things down there ? No snow around you I hope.

Hello to all looking in or coming in for a cuppa.
I have put out some goodies for morning tea...

My fingers are cold , so its back to the heater for me.
Keep warm and safe
Jean.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 17, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9209244

Did it again.
Clicked on the wrong button and lost the goodies.
Here we are ... Chocolate Peanut Squares..

Cant have you all going hungry..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 17, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9209417

Hi Everyone, cool and sunny this morning.

I spent yesterday sorting some of the Peridot I found at the quarry .Took a very blurry pic (sorry my hand shakes these days).
Most are not big enough to facet so I will make some kind of natural necklace with them I think. Still hoping to find a bigger one one day.
Here is another site that has some lovely gems on it.
http://www.realgems.org/list_of_gemstones/peridot.html
Click on gemstones to find a long list of just about every gem there is.
Funny that they write some of our states off as having very little though - easy to see they don't really know Australia and only list the famous places that are economically viable I think.

LOL Colleen I love Cackleberry Castle too - maybe a name change in order! My handyman says I need to make a nice sign for the front so that is on the agenda too. I actually have a half finished painting of a castle I began for my grandaughter and never finished- she grew out of fairies and castles before I got it done ! LOL Maybe that would make a good background for the sign - what do you think???

The handyman is making me a nesting box that opens outside with a lift up roof on it- should be ready to fit tomorrow. Yes Lucy will love her new home. Have a partner coming to keep her company too - he is a lovely coloured rooster- just hope my neighbours won't complain - there is another rooster in the village a few blocks away and he is OK I think, so it should be alright. The council said it's fine to have a rooster as long as no one complains because I am actually rural and outside the edge of the village.
Lucy is actually laying too many eggs! I am getting three eggs every two days because where her pen is now is near the street corner light and her pen is not dark enough at night so she is over laying - the new pen will give her some relief from that, poor girl she is too good and will burn herself out if she keeps it up.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 18, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9209737

No, quite warm, and a lot of wind,.the smallest amount of rain last night, we really need 'lots of it',.,.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 18, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9210427

Good morning everyone. Still frozen fingers weather here and we even had a small shower of hail yesterday.
Not too heavy thank goodness. I dont want my brugs being damaged while they are still deciding whether to open flowers or not.
Nothing is being done much outside due to both the rain and my shoulder.

I hope all those that have been suffering an off time are starting to improve now as we creep closer to spring / summer.

Shopping day today so I had better get myself ready. It takes twice as long to get dressed etc these days.
Its surprising what you use your left arm for when you are right handed.

All the pics are great and we all love to see them.
I am going to have breakfast then a warm cuppa.

See you all later.
Maybe I'll find an orphan today.

Here a treat for morning tea... Cherry Scones.

Stay safe and warm
( Hope the weather is cooler for our US friends)
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 18, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9210817

Jean I hope your shoulder improves soon- maybe some warmer weather will help a bit...and an orphan or two to think about.

No more work on the Chookyard this week my handyman is missing in action I think. ( probably has another important job that he must do).

Colleen - which market in Brisbane had the rocks again? My son is going to have a look for me and I don't want to send him to the wrong one?

Teresa it must be lovely to be settling in again now, are the dogs all happy to be home too?

My garden is too soggy to do much just now but the weeds are growing well! I have about half the paths done with the mulch now and one pile is down to less than half so lots to go yet. Good exercise though. I did put a path in to the chookyard door though.

Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 19, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9211669

Good morning everyone. Very cold here and still dark.
Only one more month of winter and we may start seeing the sun getting up earlier.
I found no orphans yesterday while shopping but I think the shop is not getting as many plants in so maybe less orphans for me to find.

Its very quiet in here at the moment. Everyone must be busy keeping warm.

Sue your path is looking good.
I used eucalyptus mulch on my paths and I find it stops me slipping and sliding around even though it wasnt put on thickly.
I still have a bit here so may put it out on the rest of the back yard where the car has worn a path .

Hello to everyone that has been suffering with aches & pains, I hope you are all feeling much better

I am off to put washing on and look a bit domestic.
Thank goodness I have the automatic washer and the dryer as I would not be able to be pegging clothes out with my shoulder.

Charleen, Hope all is well over your way. Pat those furry fellows and give them cookies for me.

Take care and keep safe.
Heres your morning tea treat... Chocolate Eclairs.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 19, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9211689

Hi everyone. I'm still looking in but this bl==== back of mine is giving me curry. The jammed nerve makes everything quite difficult to do. The boys will be calling me moaning Granny soon. I'm trying to keep up with what everyone is doing and it's good to see you back on board Chookie. I haven't done anything outside but the work hasn't gone away I can still see what needs doing. It will just have to wait. Overcast and bitterly cold here today. I don't think the temp. got above 15 yesterday so maybe another day the same. Brrr. Have a great day everyone. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9211734

We got a good rain yesterday evening.
Me and Dufess got stung by Yellow Jackets this morning. Ouch!!! from both of us. Glad I put the little dogs back into house. Got stung 3 times Dag gummed Bees.
Glad they hadn't got Charley, But then if they had he might have come see you, dragging me...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 19, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9211776

Colleen, I do feel for you.
Its b** hard watching the weeds grow and not being able to do anything.
You & I will both catch up with them eventually.
Hang in there.

Charleen, please be careful around those yellow jackets. They must be like the European wasps we get here.
Very nasty .
Unlike bees, wasps can sting multiple times.
We have found here, silly as it sounds, a single spray with Baygon fly spray and they fall out of the air.
Luckily we have no nests close, so usually single queens looking for nest sites.
Hubby watches for them every spring / summer as we dont want them setting up home here.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9211805

Jean, I think Dufess dug them out. I swear I saw a pawprint in that hole. Had to back into a cedar to get the picture with my little zoom lens. If I had got close they would have really got me. I think they were busy attacking my poor little goofy dog too.
If I go back down I'll use another way, that is for sure. It still hurts...
Thank you dear...

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 19, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9212020

Hello everyone!

Came across some Rose of Sharon seeds while cleaning up. They are from the last harvest.
Anyone wants them please let me know. First in gets them.

Hugs Marlene.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 19, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9212054

Hello Everyone, A gloomy day today - not a sign of sun but not raining yet - just very overcast.

Jean sometimes automatic everything helps doesn't it- glad you don't have to hang the washing out with that shoulder.

Colleen I am sorry to hear your back is still out. Trying isn't it? I hope some heat and rest will do the trick.I carried a box today without pain .YAY

I am reading the Jim Butcher series of Dresden File books just now and wanted you to know that fairies are alive and well and magic is in the world - he says so! Dresden is a bumbling magician and unlikely hero with good points - he gets himself into some terrible predicaments - good fun- I do love my ipad at bedtime.
I do believe in fairies I do I do I do.

I planted a choko that I had striking on the bench today but only in a pot, as it is still too cold for it outdoors yet - the shoots are more than 30cm long so I thought it needed some soil now. I am planning on it covering some of the chookyard fence when I get it in the ground, along with some passionfruit vines I have waiting to go in.Maybe some Kiwi fruit to come yet if there is room .
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 20, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9212666

Good morning everyone.
Fine but cold here and I hope for some sun as I want to get out and spray the weeds.
I am being careful with my shoulder so will do the spraying with a spray bottle that I can hold in the right hand instead of my usual larger carrying type.
My broad beans are looking good and I have planted a further 2 rows.

Lots of bulbs budding up and a few odd wallflowers out already.
I see leaves peeping out on the trees so spring is quietly creeping in.
My Manchurian Pear is always the first of the blossom trees to open so I will be watching it closely.

Sue, your creepers are going to be a splash of color as well as edible.
Hope you are getting over your pain now too.

Teresa, how are things coming along back in your home again ?

Anthony, I have a lone lilium popping its head through the soil. A bit early , but it must be impatient wanting the sun.

Colleen, how are things going for you ? Hope the back is healing.

Dianne, your brugs will be looking lovely still. Soon be lots more blooms.

Charleen, Charley was hanging around again. I think he is in love with the cookies I give him.
I think Abigail was with him..lol

I am off to try and get a bit of domestic stuff done.
I may recruit hubby to help with a couple of things.

hello to all others looking in.

Heres a treat for morning tea. ...Banana Caramel Loaf.

Keep safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9212732

They are traveling buddies now. Both on the lookout for cookies and crumbs...:-)))
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 20, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9212754

Happy weekend to everyone. Going to be a nice day today they say and I see blue sky peeping through so it looks hopeful.

I wanted to share this wonderful Azalea hedge with you - what a dream hedge, and just what I would love. I am planting more soon - I live in hope ! LOL

Thumbnail by chookie2

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 20, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9212834

Jean, I have a few here, popping the surface,.,.very strange,..,.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 20, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9212984

Anthony, if your weather there is anything like here, those little liliums will be pulling themselves back under the ground...lol

Sue ; I adore dahlias , rhodos etc and used to have heaps when I lived at Bright.
Here , they go toes up in a year.
I'm thinking maybe all the calcium in our water.
I am seriously thinking of trying more and only using rain water.

No crumbs for thos etwo here today , Charleen. The magpies scoffed the lot.

The sun is trying to push the clouds aside , but not having much luck.
I might go out and do a walk around just to see what the weeds are doing...lol
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 21, 2012
1:00 AM

Post #9213044

Hubby took our old carpet out the hanger this arvo & came back with our 2 seater couch so now we have the whole lounge suite.
We can have visitors again, there is somewhere for them to sit :)
Sugar is going to be a happy pup tomorrow - she isn't in season so can go to dog club.
I'm looking forward to seeing her run about with the other dogs she is a baggage at times but a lot of fun.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 21, 2012
1:46 AM

Post #9213050

Its very cold, Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 21, 2012
2:08 AM

Post #9213052

It was such a lovely morning here, that I decided to take the camera to Mick's paddock...it was lovely there, the grass is so green and there were black Cockies and Rosellas flying overhead and little blue Wrens industriously looking for insects under every disturbed patch of grass...

Then there were the sheep, they were being moved from one paddock to another by a very busy Kelpie...
We were watching one particular ewe that was standing aside from the rest and all of a sudden she dropped a lamb...naturally I had to take a pic...
So here is a baby that is only a couple of minutes old...a little while later, it got caught up in the wire fence so naturally I had to untangle it and give it back to it's mother...
I had a cuddle before giving it back...it's little heart was beating so quickly...but soon it was off with the other lambs...

Those trees in Mick's paddock were saplings when I bought him (Mick has the pink coat)...he hates sheep.
Dianne.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 11:57 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 21, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9213053

Anthony and Jean, my Gladioli bulbs are thru about an inch, so they will flower in September.
I'll have to buy some more so I'll have some flowers in Summer...what a hardship...lol
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 21, 2012
2:42 AM

Post #9213056

Nothing worse , than 'having' to buy more plants.,.,,. i restrained, this morning-, only buying spagnum and super mulch.,.,.,.,.,.,.[no lily bulbs]- although, they had their talons out, trying to drag me into the rack'''''please save us'''''''Ha Ha,.,.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2012

Post #9213600

Good morning everyone.
Still showery here and nothing has been done in the garden due to the muddy conditions
I hear the weeds laughing each time I venture out.

Anthony, those bulbs must know it may be an early spring.
Its a terrible thing when you just have to buy more plants...lol
I know how they reach for us when they see us pass by.

I see I have a couple of buds on one of my ranunculi.
One of the magpies is sitting on her nest now.
Hubby says we may get all the bad weather we missed , coming at us during August. I hope he is wrong.

Dianne, lambs are so cute when small. We have lots in the paddock next to us.
Little devils fit through the fences and must reckon the grass outside is better.
They dont come in the garden much though.

Teresa, I bet Sugar will be glad to be back at the dog club again.
It can be a nuisance with females but something to bear with if you want to breed her.
Hope you are all settling nicely back in the house now.

Hello Sue, Chrissy and Moon.

Karen, I hope all is well up your way, You havent been in for a cuppa .

Charleen, give those furry ones a hug.

Here is a tasty start to the day ...Chocolate Slice.

Keep safe

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 21, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9213678

Hello everyone. Jean, I shamefacedly admit I've been sleeping in and haven't had time to sit at the computer long enough to visit. A bit warmer this morning and it looks like being a beautiful day. I find the cold is causing my shoulder to ache, especially at night, but I still have limited movement too. Hanging out washing is quite a challenge for me.

Speaking of early Spring, my mini peach trees are almost flowering already. Sad, as it means I'll lose most of the baby peaches if the August winds are bad this year. Seems to happen every year now, and I get very few peaches anymore.

Dianne, what an amazing experience not only to see the little lamb come into the world, but then to resue it as well. The trees look so healthy and green. Lovely place for Mick to live.

Teresa, great to hear you are getting your house back in order, and to your liking. Give Sugar and Copper a hug each from me.

Chookie, that azalea hedge is magnificent. I have a very old azalea bush here called Red Wings, and it used to flower like that. I think it is getting too old now and too much competition for food from the trees around it. Where is this one growing? I don't go to many markets but the place I get the odd gemstone from is the Beenleigh markets on Sundays. What I like about that one is that the man running it is great to talk to, and has the better stones at home, and is happy to bring anything in next week that you may want to look at. I was interested in the watermelon tourmaline. It is very expensive, but he had some samples at home he'd sell for a lower price. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get back to see him again, yet.

Charleen, glad you aren't allergic to those stings. We get paper wasps here that can catch you unawares, but I too find a squirt with insect spray and they drop like flies. I remember the old days when my father used to make an elaborate flaming torch to burn them and their nests outs altogether. I once watched as a preying mantis ate a wasps nest, then while it was sitting licking its chops, a mickey bird flew down and ate him. Talk about a food chain.

Anthony, hope you are keeping your toes warm there. Nature has her way of keeping her strongest plants safe from the weather, don't you find?

Colleen, I too am sorry to learn that your back is not recovering yet. Don't force anything and let others take the load for as long as you need to so you can recover properly.

Sorry if I've missed anyone. Catch you next time.
Have a lovely Sunday.
Karen

Pelican preening.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 21, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9213793

Frost no 6 this morning-a real crisp one, but the days have been brilliant.,.I picked up 14 mini alcohol bottles[for mini daff showing] for $7 at the market this morning,.,.,.,.,.,If anybody has any, let me know and i"ll buy them from you..the firewood is split and sitting next to the fire,..Ive 'super fertilised my Cardiocrinums, and am experimenting on seed raising in 'ziplock' bags,.,.,.Sooty has the 'cat flu' [from all the vet visits].,.,.,Nature is good here Karen-the best place in the world to grow bulbs,.,..,.,.Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9213968

hello Karen, We did miss you.
Its always nice to see familiar faces popping in for a cuppa.
I have just been out and pruned the rose with one hand.
Very hard to stop the left hand doing anything . It will probably sulk now that right hand is doing all its jobs...lol

Lots of shoots on the roses and the daffies are all budding with one already open.

Anthony, I may have to come down for your fire. I love an open fire , but we cant have one here. The wood is so expensive and hard to get. .
Gone are the days of going out along the roadside and picking up the fallen logs and branches..
It kept the roadsides tidy and cleared a fire hazard.
Now, thanks to the greenies we cannot pick up anything and our roadsides look a mess .

Going to sit by the heater for awhile and rest.
It is cold & damp out there.

I need a cuppa.

Keep warm.
Jean.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 22, 2012
12:39 AM

Post #9214037

we had a bitterly cold day, Sugar had a ball chasing after the other dogs at training.
we were trying to do rally -o & Sugar was being a rat bag, my instructor took her for a few minutes to get a feel for what would work best.
we have a bit of a plan now & Sugar actually worked better after that.
When we got home I went to unlock the back door... no key...
hunted high & low but no sign of it.
Normally we drop the key in a drawer when we go out.
Neither of us can recall taking the key out & it is not in the usual spot.
It is very frustrating as we have to take the dogs out on lead via the front door.
I went as far as to empty the drawer in case I had missed the key, looked in every single drawer in the kitchen, just can't figure out how it could have vanished & Baz is going to call a locksmith tomorrow.
what are the odds we find the blessed key once the lock is changed?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 22, 2012
2:19 AM

Post #9214046

just finished uploading photos of my morning walk to work.
I get off the bus at the edge of the CBD & it's a half hour brisk walk across town.
pic 1, map of the CBD, I start at 1 on the map & finish at 20.
pic 2 - we have a sense of humour about the damage.
pic 3 - damaged buildings are being used as a canvas for art works
pic 4 - the early morning sunshine hit the top of the Bridge of Remembrance & it was reflected in the water of the river Avon.
more photos here...
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/dalfyre/On%20the%20way%20to%20work/

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9214209

Good Morning.

Lovely treat Jean. Sounds like you may have to keep the left hand from knowing what the right hand is doing...grin Do hope you see improvement soon.

Anthony, it won't be long before you will be up to your ears in gorgeous lillies. I am so very much looking forward to your pictures. Poor Sooty. I hope he recovers quickly. I had to bring my sweet old girl Mea (16) to the vet for a cold...she is still sneezing a bit, but at least she isn't showering everything when she does sneeze.

Karen, hope the shoulder eases up for you also. My daughter took me to the market down by the river at I think it is called Power House? There is a large building where the display art...and the Photojournalist's winning pictures. We also went to a mid-week market downtown and out to a "Hippy" market (my son-in-law's name for it). I especially like the big market in Eumundi...I find it VERY easy to spend money there...grin. On one visit we went down by the docks to a huge plant sale and then over to the markets by the Queensland Performing Arts center and the giant ferris wheel. I truly love spending time in Brisbane.

Teresa, what a lovely walk to work. It is so sad though to see all the lovely old buildings so damaged. And yes, they key will surely turn up as soon as the lock is changed...grin
Good thoughts to you all...our lovely rainy weather keeps the birdbath full...and the weeds growing

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9214284

Hi folk - just another Yankee on the prowl here, thought I'd stop in for a sec. Found out it's just as easy to chat half way round the world as it is across the fence.

Okay, I'm not really a newbie here, been around on other threads for a few years. I met up with Charleen (the mule lady) a while back, and even visited her and the real Charley last January when we traveled to the southland on vacation. What a beautiful experience.

Wifey and I are retired now and are pursuing travel plans both now and future. We're both in our 60's, with three adult children and three grandkids. We've been to several states in the south and west US and Canada, thinking about Nova Scotia in August or early September. Last year made it to Hawaii for almost 3 weeks touring every garden imaginable.

Hornell is a small city here, about 10,000 folks. We are far from New York City in a mostly rural agriculture district, in fact we grow a lot of food for other larger cities.

Hope I'm welcome here chat. Any travelers here, feel free to ask.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9214655

Al and his wife were so nice to visit with when they came by. Charley and I enjoyed the visit very much.
Charley even got some NY apples...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9214804

Good morning everyone.
I keep looking out the window in hope that winter moved on overnight.
No such luck.
I di manage a few jobs one handed yesterday, including, as I said above, all the roses.

Hello Al. Its always so nice to see new faces and we welcome our US friends.

We love Charleen and her tales of Charleys antics.
Moon is also here often with her lovely pics.
Post a few of yours, Al.
We like to see other gardens and here about what you all do with yourselves.

Charleen, could you please come and get Abigail.
I think she has moved into the back patio . I found an egg there.

Hello Anthony, keep those toes warm there.

Teresa, I'm so glad Sugar is learning manners.
Your pics are interesting to show the devastation still there .
It takes so long to fix Mother Natures upheavals.
It looks a lovely walk though.

Hello Colleen, hope you are feeling better day by day. Its a slow process because we are older .

Dianne. Hope all is well down your way . Spend some time among your brugs, if you get any sunshine.
Gardening is always good for the mind.

Hello to everyone else popping in for a cuppa.

Louise, If you do happen to look in, Happy Birthday for the other day.

Looks bleak outside so I will sit near the heater for awhile.

Here is a treat for you all. ...Chocolate Mud Cake.
I need a bit of decadence ...lol

Al, pull up a chair and enjoy our virtual goodies.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 22, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9214851

Good morning everyone, Welcome Al always good to hear tales from afar.
yesterday I went for a Sunday drive to Warrnambool - went to the Sunday market but the plant lady was not there so I went to Bunnings and spent too much. Got a nice well grown Hazelnut to add to my hedge and now have two as pollinators. Got an Annie Blueberry too plus a few rescues and at last I brought my long wanted first zygocactus for my new home - a pink one unnamed .

Also a well grown camellia named Susan - well I couldn't resist ! I have been planted a named plant for each of my children and grandchildren but didn't think of one for me until I saw it there. It is going to be on the side fence where I can watch it flower from the window and also it will add to the privacy hedge for next door. Since I had the tall trees cut down for more sun they have had to look into my yard so I am trying to add back their lost privacy as fast as I can.

Thanks Karen for that info = the Beenleigh market won't be too far from my son at Labrador so I will get him to go look or maybe wait until I get there and go with him.

I added five goldfish to the second pond yesterday too - the frogs have made themselves so much at home that it is absolutely full of tadpole eggs - far too many - so I thought the fish may cull a few.I know many many will survive as the fish couldn't possibly eat that much. I want to encourage frogs but we are talking millions of eggs ! LOL The frog songs are getting louder as more frogs arrive , I have lost count of how many have found the ponds now but I love their night songs, my neighbours may not come Summer though!

Anthony I hope the frosts are not doing as much damage to your garden as mine did here- my poor plants have been really bitten hard and my Jostaberry burnt to a crisp- yes it also my brugmansia too.Hopefully Spring will see them recover , time will tell.

Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9214874

Sue, dont despair.
A few years ago we had a very severe frost which ( unusually) came right into the garden.
Some of my brugs were burnt and died right to the ground .
You should see them now. They spring back so quickly.

If you like zygos, I have plenty here. I grow both named & unnamed.
Lots of epiphyllums too. . Irises , asstd bulbs.
Sometimes I sell on eBay or Hamilton trash & treasure.

You should visit as I am sure I could fill your car with plants you NEED to have ...lol
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 23, 2012
12:27 AM

Post #9215181

it was warmer this morning, 3C so i got off the bus & walked in to work.
Takes about 25 minutes and I went a slightly different way so got to see a few more things - the flats where I lived in the late '80's are still there.
They are fairly old but solidly built.
The town houses they built next door look like they are being pulled down!
I haven't been game to look closely at my gardens, after all the abuse they have suffered I am not sure I want to know.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 23, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9215205

Gday-Al, Gee, you met the 'real' Charleen and Charley !- I thought they were just legends, passed down over many centuries...A great lady indeed!!,.,.I went to post last night, and then a massive power outage for 4 hrs,.,.I fell asleep..Howling moon, you are not wrong, and i cant wait to see some of the new fruits of the 'erratic' seed crosses,.,. that will 'surprise all' this year,.,.,.undoubtedly a great show,.,.I love it

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9215439

And one that I am looking forward to seeing, Anthony. You already have so many pretties, I know the crosses will be a visual treat...eye candy...grin

Hi Al. You are gonna enjoy yourself here. And, if I may suggest, add Australia to your travel plans. The country is beautiful and varied and the people are delightful. My daughter lives in Brisbane and we have made 3 trips there...a happy adventure each time.

Good morning to you all

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9215493

Yep, Al and his wife were great!!!
Jean, was it a large brown egg?? that is what she lays, such a good girl. That is your reward for the cookies, so you can make some more...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9215509

'Lo again. Oh, wow, I mean.., guess you folks don't mine me talkin' here! Okay, I can be chatty, too. Especially when threre's good food around.

We seem to be at the exact opposite of seasons as most of you are chillin' while we're baking in record heat of the summer. I'm just starting to pick my early fresh tomatoes, which we haven't had since last October. These are "Tumblers" which I grew in large pails in and off our indoor patio, started from seed in mid-March. They are small, about golf ball size but good for salads and eating out of hand. Have to admit, some don't quite make it to the table when I'm standing near the garden. The main garden crop won't come ripe until about second week in August.

This is my GD Olivia "Livey", now almost 5 years old and entering primary school in September. A lovely gardener from the very start. She is a big sister to twin babies just recently born in March a little boy and girl. The whole family was visiting over the weekend for a yard sale event.

Yes, I have been to Australia, actually Sydney, but only time enough to refuel our troop plane on it's way to Saigon during the 60's. Lovely place only wish I had more time to see it. Still on my bucket list.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9215577

Pretty tomatoes, Al. we folks on this side of the pond are very fond of our fresh tomatoes...grin Livey is a little doll...I know she brightens your heart and garden. Perhaps one day you will get a chance to visit Australia for fun...I certainly hope so. The overall "flavor' of Sydney is reminiscent of San Francisco in architecture and ambiance. And who wouldn't want to pet a kangaroo or koala? grin
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 23, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9216019

Good morning everyone. A brilliant red sky here at the moment.
Yesterday was mild and no rain.
I potted 2 bromeliads and pulled a few weeds ( one handed of course )
I am still resting my shoulder.

Hello Moon. You must make a longer visit and see the other states when you next come over.
We have some beautiful places here in Victoria and West Aust is well worth seeing.
I'm sure Anthony would tell you that Tassie has some spectacular scenery too.

Al, a very pretty little girl in a very pretty patch of garden.
Love the red dahlias & gladioli. .
We will be interested in seeing more of your particular piece of the USA.
I love tomatoes and will be planting some this year in the hanging tomato bags.
They can hang on the rotary clothes line as I dont use it any more. Hopefully this will keep some of the creepies off them.

Charleen, yes it was a brown egg but I ate it for breakfast instead of making cakes.
I hope Charley is behaving.
Are you still having very hot weather there ?

Anthony, my first daffodils are open along with a couple of grape hyacinths.
Lots of bluebells poking up too. ( pink bells also)

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Teresa and Sue.

I am off to the kitchen to see what I can give you all for morning tea.
I know Karen likes this one.
Try some HummingBird Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 23, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9216049

Good morning everyone. I'm feeling a lot better this morning. Thanks everyone for the well-wishes. I can't believe that I've been so incompacitated. A wonderful neighbour came yesterday and spent 4 hours dusting vaccuming and washing all the floors for us. She also hung out the washing and will be back today to take it in. The boy's school even rang yesterday to see if they could help in anyway. I am very grateful to everyone and am trying to think of ways to repay all their kindness. Any ideas? Colleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9216094

So glad you are feeling better Colleen. I am sure everyone will be very happy you are back on your feet...but perhaps a nice baked goodie from your kitchen would bring a smile. You have shown us some yummy treats you and the boys have made.

Jean, Al will be able to show you lovely snow covered fields and beautiful Fall leaf displays. He is up in the Northeast corner of the US. We have been fortunate enough to spend a few days in Sydney and a week at Uluru, The Olgas and Mt Conner/Alice Springs area. We have seen quite a bit of Queensland, from Fort Douglas and the Barrier Reef down to Cairns, Paronella Park, Townesville and through the mountains to Noosa and of course, the must see Gold Coast. we really want to go to Melbourne and Canberra, but also I want to see Perth and Adelaide. My daughter laughed and said I pretty much want to tour the entire Australian coastline...I say YUP I surely do. Then I want to go to Tasmania and New Zealand...hopefully all before i turn 80...LOL
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 23, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9216164

Good morning everyone. Oh Jean, yes Hummingbird cake is divine. Don't see it around much here but grab a piece when I do.

Al, nice to meet you. Looking forward to hearing more about you and your garden etc. Hornell sounds like a nice place to be. I am so over the rat race, sirens daily (wondering if its anyone you know), police car chases, helicopters and their huge noise going overhead...ahhhhh!!! I don't think there is anywhere left in Australia's coastal towns and cities that is still quiet. Its all so overdeveloped these days, and noisy.

Not much happening here. I got some new, cheap blinds for two bedroom windows yesterday, and Barry put them up for me. I thought, no use paying good money for them if housing is only going to kick me out anyway. They won't fit into a shoebox. Its nice to have the privacy and light control. Curtains are OK but the venetians are better. Only one window left now, but I think I'll use the curtains on it for now.

One of our drives about locally, this feral goose seemed quite attached to the white horse.
Have a lovely day
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 23, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9216254

Colleen, glad you are feeling a bit better. take things very slowly.

Karen, hope you are feeling so much better now too. A bit of warmer weather up there makes a difference .
I love geese but not the place for them here with so many foxes.

Moon , you would have loved the red centre around Alice Springs and Ayers Rock.
I will be looking forward to seeing pictures of the beautiful Fall trees from Al later.

Anthony will be happy to see another man in the Tea Room instead of him being surrounded by all we ladies chattering away...lol

Off to Casterton now. I need some new shoes and hubby wants some too.
He will keep wearing his out in the wet instead of changing...

Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 23, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9216484

Look what's flowering. Don't know what it thinks it's doing. So pretty though. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 23, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9216522

Colleen, it must be catching.
I have had 7 epis flower through late autumn into winter
The last has just finished.
I hope this means plenty of flowers later in spring.
Yours is very pretty.

Cold outside so I am staying in near the heater
We bought our new shoes and I was pleasantly surprised at getting a very nice pair much cheaper than the larger shops.
It does pay to check the local shops first.

It was a lovely drive over with all the Cootamundra wattle out along the road .

Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 24, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9216556

Colleen that Epi is beautiful!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012

Post #9216785

Very warm here. Temps in 90's so have to stay in shade, if possible.
Charley is behaving as only Charley can behave.
Hope all are doing well...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9216947

Yes, Ladies - I'll try not to be the only rooster in the hen house. Or as Charley would say, " I'll try really hard not to make an ass out of myself! "

(I think this is originally Charleen's picture)

Al

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 12:44 PM

Thumbnail by lycodad

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 24, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9217192

Good morning everyone. A mild but cold day yesterday .The sun is up and shining here this morning. The wind is cold though.
I will attempt to cut my couple of grass clumps back today. I should be able to manage it one handed .
I like these grasses with their feathery heads but they do need a haircut each year.

I have my first snowdrop out along with a lone daffodil. Lots more buds though.
The jonquils are as bright as ever.

Helli Al, you will see more of our Anthony once his beautiful liliums start to flower. They are wonderful .

Karen, glad you managed to score a piece of Hummingbird cake. I knew you would smell it .

Colleen , nice to see you are able to get around a bit easier now.

Sue, have you any lavender growing down there ?
It would do nicely around your pool.
I mean the smaller ones not the rampant large ones.

Teresa, have you put everything back how you like it in the house now ?
How is little Miss Mischief behaving ?
No need to ask if Copper is because we know he is a gentleman..

Hello Moon, are you feeling the heat there still >
I could try and send some cold but I think you will get enough when your winter arrives.

Charleen, I found another lovely brown egg this morning. Abigail will get an extra lot of crumbs now.
Pat Charley & the furry ones for me.

I am off to have another cuppa then go see what is going on around the garden.

I love seeing the bulbs open one by one.
I notice my spider lily has died by the look it though.
I dont seem to be able to grow them here. I may try one in a pot one day , but they do get rather large for pots.
Oh well, plenty more bulbs that will grow here anyway.

Heres a treat for morning tea... Sultana Teacake.

Keep safe and enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9217222

Thanks for the offer Jean. There is no telling what our winter will do here...we have been moved a half zone warmer this past year and we are certainly feeling more tropical this summer. i did love Ayer's Rock...I got to watch the sunrise over the rock on my birthday...a rather special moment for me. When I was 13 my closest friend and her family moved to Lake Victoria. She and I saved our money for almost 3 years so I could fly over and spend the summer with her. Sadly a few months before I was to go, her Mother passed away. I swore I would get there...I just didn't realize it would take 40 years to do it...grin Speaking of red clay...my grandson got up close and personal with it.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9217285

Hahaha, Al, love that pic of Charley. His laugh is infectious, for sure.

That goose is a Greylag, wild, not native to Australia, so don't know where he came from. Maybe an escapee. He was a loner, just waddling around in a field of horses.

Jean, my bad shoulder is on the right, and being right handed makes life very difficult. Its been 2 years now and still not recovered, though I have a slightly better range of movement than it was, and I think it is only the cold weather now bringing out the soreness. Hope yours recovers much quicker.

Moon, your grandson is a real cutie. The red background is just amazing.

Charleen, keep cool. Do the mules cope better with the heat or the cold?

Colleen, none of my epis have flowered out of season, which is disappointing, so I hope they make up for it when they do flower. That pink one is simply beautiful.

I'm off to the dentist this morning. I hope, after 3 long and trying visits for just one tooth, it will be the last of it today. I also hope any other teeth that need fixing don't put me through all this trauma and pain. Am really thinking of finding a new dentist (this one is a new dentist) as I need someone with more experience with diabetics and their unique problems when it comes to dental work and the time it needs to heal. I don't understand how so much damage to my mouth was done just drilling. Wish my old dentist hadn't retired just yet. Never had these problems with him as he was so careful.

So happy with the new blinds. They make the rooms look more cosy and are so practical.

Have a happy day.
Karen

Tillandsia Tricolour in bud.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 24, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9217396

Good morning everyone- well Cackleberry Castle ( Thanks Barry!) is now completely finished with indoor outdoor nesting box so I can peek in from outside and collect the eggs,I will paint it all much later as too many other things on the go right now and I want to oil the timber first to make sure it lasts outdoors.

Spent yesterday doing the floor and mounting the feeder and waterer so all is ready to move in. Separate gate to the yard and my neighbour says he has never seen such a luxurious henhouse - not really it is pretty standard but he thinks I must be going to have 80 hens because the yard is big. Just 4/5 will be fine for me.They need lots of room and eventually I will divide some off for the grass to grow back so they have two alternate runs.

The rooster comes tomorrow and Lulu and he will move in together so it is new to them both at the same time. Though Lulu has been right underfoot during the build and 'inspected' every little thing as it was done even down to pecking the pencil while the handyman was measuring with it. He loved her and picked her up often for a cuddle and asked where she was if I didn't let her out when he arrived.( I thought she may have been a nuisance - but no he liked her right there! LOL)

As soon as the wire was on I planted the passionfruit I had waiting.It is near the outdoor waterer so the overflow will keep it watered as well. And the choko is in a pot until frosts are finished. Now to get the rest of the garden beds in and planted around the wire boundary.

Handyman's next job will be the gazebo around the pond in a few weeks. I am looking forward to that immensely.

Jean, Thanks for the reassurance, I was worried about the brug and frost bitten softies.I would love to see and raid your garden, I will call in on my way to Casterton one day and bring my purse! LOL Will let you know when but probably Sept/Oct I would think. No I don't have lavender here I did think it may be too wet for it but I guess it grows in england so should grow here - it is like a UK climate here where I am except hotter Summer - not much different to parts of Tassie I think from my stay at Uni in Launceston.

Colleen so glad to hear you are feeling a bit better - yes hand out some cooked goodies or preserves when you make them .No one helps with a thought to returns, so just do what you feel is ok. So happy you are improving.The boys will be relieved to have Mum back on deck properly but don't overdo it when you begin - do it slowly and carefully - voice of experience! LOL

Karen why would Housing move you? Once in you are there for life unless you want to move aren't you? Mind you a change is as good as a holiday sometimes. Mine is exciting every day with something new to learn about the garden and area.

All what a lovely little image of your GD, she will make a great gardener if you encourage her now. And how lucky to have twin babies to love ! Lucky you.

Hi Al, Yes we are opposites in Seasons so we are freezing in Winter while you cook In Summer. Our tomatoes go in Sept/Oct for a January/Feb harvest. Am preparing the Spring beds now for Septembers plantings. Blossoms beginning to appear on almonds and other fruit trees just budding up now.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 24, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9217427

Sue you are welcome to pop in whenever . It is best to call firs tin case we are out .
Be nice to see a DGer in person.
I love your chook house.

Karen , I know all about problems with housing as I spent many years when first married (to first husband ) back in the 60s, in public housing.
They moved you whenever they felt like it.
The then Housing Commission felt we should be in a flat because.. no kids.
No choice as to where , If one didnt want to move one went to the bottom of the waiting list.
After having a boy & a girl, I was told they could not share a room so we had to move into the newly built 20 storey towers in Flemington .
We spent many long years there waiting for a house. Ever tried to raise 5 kids 10 floors up where the lifts work maybe 4 days a week.
Getting kids & shopping up that high is a nightmare.
So is sharing one laundry with 10 other flats when one of the two washing machines doesnt work.
I have a lot of sympathy for any one in public housing .
We finally were given a house in Broadmeadows, which was back then , a really long way out of Melbourne.

Enough of that. It may be much better these days.

Moon that little fellow looks great with the red background.
It is certainly a brilliant place for the shades of red . I love the inland.

Better go and think about doing something constructive.
Karen, I am right handed but its surprising what one does with the other hand without realising it.

Keep warm everyone ( or cool in the US )

Jean.

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9217607

Now you've got me really curious since I'm an avid tomato grower. When do you sow the seed starts for your tomato plants? I have several seeds left over from my Spring planting in mid-March, don't know if I can send them safely to Australia or through customs inspection.

Al
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 25, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9217707

wow - I miss a night on the lap top & there is so much to catch up with.
Jean - I laughed when you called Copper a gentleman...
this morning I was busy in the kitchen & heard a movement behind me & turned to see Copper's head buried in the Tux bag.
He made off with two biscuits but I was able to retrieve one & gave it to Sugar since she was being the good one for a change.
Cackleberry Castle looks really good, hope the chooks appreciate their salubrious home.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9217866

The long ears like the cooler weather. When the temps cool now they love to run in the pasture.
Made a Tomato Pie yesterday. It was so good. Like a vegetable pizza...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9217926

Thanks Karen and Jean...yup, he is a keeper. Hard to believe that was 5 years ago. With 5 of us, it took us all to keep an eye on him...he thought Ayer's and the Olgas were his private playground...he tried to climb up or into every nook and cranny. I agree, the reds are so varied and striking running from pinks and purples to browns.

Karen, hope this is your last go around with the dentist...a sore mouth makes the whole body ache.

Sue, Cackleberry Castle is a winner. Lulu and friends will be quite safe and happy there I am sure.

Teresa, sounds like Copper still has a trick or two left...maybe he was going to be a gentleman and share...LOL

Charleen. tomato pie sure looks tasty.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 25, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9218492

Moon what a striking picture!

Does anyone know about a flower that looks like a green fuzzy carnation. It was at a florist that took my eye. The lady said it was a type of carnation. I think she said it was "Green Fuzz"?

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 6:01 PM

Thumbnail by Marleneann

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9218523

Good morning everyone..
A very dull and cold day here again. Yesterday evening and during the night , we had strong wind .
Winter wont leave just yet.
Lots of bright daffies popping out now so I expect the trees will also be putting on their pretty dresses soon.

Lovely pic, Moon. The outback colors are striking. Its not called the Red Centre for nothing.

Cant help with your flower Marlene although it is unusual.

Charleen, I think Abigail has adopted me. She seems to like it around the Tea Room.

Teresa, do you mean to say Copper was not a gentleman after all ? ...lol
I guess he couldnt resist a nibble or two.
Maybe instead of Sugar learning from him, she is teaching him naughty tricks.

Anthony , I hope you are out counting liliums popping through. I found another poking its head up.

Al , I love tomatoes but they are rather erratic here. Some years good and others nothing grows at all. I blame the water .
Its a lot colder here for longer so I wont plant my seeds outside .
I will grow them from around early September in the greenhouse then they can go out into the grow bags when the weather warms.

Colleen, glad you are feeling so much better. Its nice to have friends help when you need it.

Karen, hope all is going well for you too. I like your little brom.
My tillandsias didnt like it here much so they now live with Colleen.

Hello to everyone else and I hope some of you are enjoying sunshine.

I will leave something tasty for morning tea. ...Pumpkin Spice Cake.

Keep safe and enjoy your gardens..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9218524

Hi Marleneann. Thanks. I have read about the Dianthus barbatus Green Trick, Green Ball, Green Fuzz but never had the chance to see one up close. I did find these links however.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/dianthus-plants/dianthus-green-tick/p94045TM

http://www.nurseriesonline.com.au/PAGES/Green-Carnation.html
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9218539

OOps. forgot to add the signpost again..
We have moved to here ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272705/

Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9218822

Oooh, I do like the look of that tomato pie, Charleen.

Moon, those must be such treasured pics. I've never been to our red centre. Been many other places in Aus, but not there. Think I missed out there, as it is so striking.

Marlene, I hadn't heard about nor seen that green flower. Most unusual. Will keep an eye out for it, though it wouldn't grow here, as most annuals and perennials need more sun than I get.

Teresa, I hope your fully settled in now and can relax and enjoy the make over.

Hi everyone else too. Hope you have a lovely day.
Karen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9219264

Yes, Karen, they are absolutely treasured.

Wanted to repost the link to the new thread so noone gets lost..Jean has a new Tea Room waiting

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272705/#new

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America