Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Help!!!! something keeps chowing down on my flowers.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
destinip
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9187922

Something keeps eating the leaves of only my "stock vintage red" (what it says on package) flowers. I use Aza Max when I see them get like this, but if I don't get to them quick enough, they would be dead. I also use Seven, that hooks to your water hose, every two weeks. What is it? What can I do? and Why are they eating mainly those flowers? Those are kinda special. This is the first time I have ever had a garden of my own and I grew them from seed this year. Thanks everyone for your answers. I will be more than willing to answer any questions.I hope the pictures posted. (first time)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9188006

No, your pictures didn't post--can you try again? Very hard to guess otherwise. But since you've been using multiple types of insecticides and they're still getting eaten, I'm going to guess that it's something other than an insect :) Maybe rabbits, deer, etc.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 2, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9190180

Like Ecrane, I would need a picture to help identify the problem, there are many insects flying and crawling that eat plants and whatever it is, it likes this particular plant, some insects go for one plant some like several plant types, others like just the roots so pictures will really help.

Once the problem is known then maybe you can just use ONE type of insectiside as using too many is like an over-dose of medicine to us and they are not cheep to buy either, sometimes once the problem is known you can use home made cures.
Good luck. WeeNel.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9195229

Aphids, leaf rollers and thrips are the main insect pests for Matthiola (stock). I do know it is listed on various sites as a "deer and rabbit resistant" plant

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America