Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: What could I start at the end of August?

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 56, Views: 498
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9188391

I'm moving to Murfreesboro TN in.. OMG, FIVE WEEKS! I probably won't be settled enough to plant anything until the end of August. Any suggestions for a tiny vegetable container garden? I'm getting desperate. I didn't really plant out anything this year, knowing that we were going to pack and move in the middle of it all, and I am majorly deprived! (I think my DH would say depraved!) Any suggestions will be most welcomed! (Besides, I need something to look forward to besides packing!)

Good-bye sand and sand and more sand! Hello real biscuits and gravy, hush puppies, humidity, bugs, trees, and, what is that wet stuff that falls from the sky? Rain?! So looking to leave the desert behind and come back home to The South!

Take care, everyone! Karla
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9188424

I do all my gardening in containers. The only thing I've had trouble with is tomatoes. I think I have a brown thumb when it comes to tomatoes in containers. I've grown cantalopes(small), beans,and peas cukes,lettuce, with no problems. You just have to fertilize and water regularly.
Vickie
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 3, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9192084

Welcome to the mid south thread and to the mid south karla. I don't do container gardening so I can't help you much there... but you will love the mid south forum here on Dave's. So many wonderful people and lots of great help!

Good luck in your move!

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 4, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9193350

I have a big container I have grown cucumbers in, but it sure didn't do anything this year, it has just been too hot. I am going to plant some more when (if) the weather cools a little. You have to really keep pots watered here that are in containers.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9193430

My cucumbers are in a raised bed and were producing like crazy until this hot weather hit. Now they are just burned up and I've watered good. All the cucumbers in my community garden look like that and they were all doing great before the heat. Just think this heat is too much for them!

I have some tomatoes in my back yard in the only little area that gets lots of sun. I have them in big pots and so far they are doing good. I have tomatoes on them but they are not large enough to ripen yet. These are some I planted later. Just have to water them everyday.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9197366

Thanks, everyone! FOUR MORE WEEKS! OMG, I am in that panic stage where I am just sure that I will never be done packing!

Gardening in the desert has definitely been, er, challenging! It's been 25 years since we've lived in The South, and we're so excited to be "going home."

The adventure is just beginning! :-)
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9197368

You can plant many perennials in the fall to have the next year - friend your new neighbors and see if you can get some free divisions!
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9197383

Thanks, Karrie20x - and, yes, I am bringing my bearded irises - so they will go into containers before we leave NV, so at least I will have those. Most of them are unnamed and came from my mom many years ago. The originals are long gone, but I have the daughters.

Unrelated side note: Chiggers vs Scorpions. I'm not sure how I feel about that, yet... hubby just killed a 6" scorpion in the shop the other day...
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
11:29 PM

Post #9197391

scorpions scare me!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
11:53 PM

Post #9197397

There is a great article recently here on DG about chiggers. Im from the deep South and even I...learned from it.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2012
12:49 AM

Post #9197407

I have never been able to grow good tomatoes in containers. You can grow smaller sized ones, but don't expect a good yield, so a waste of time, to be honest... I water all of my container plants daily if the temp is 78+. :-) Tomato roots need to branch out massively, and that can't be done in a container.

medlarman

medlarman
Fairfax, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9211930

I've never had luck personally -- my container grown tomatoes also never get much in the way of sun -- but I have seen other people on DG have decent looking ones in 5 gallon buckets.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9212852

Luckily our scorpions are not deadly (unless you happen to be allergic to them or very young, infirm, or very old - similar to bee stings, I'm told). Still, don't like them showing up in the house. But, ugh, chiggers. And giant, aggressive mosquitos. But, small price to pay to be back in The South :-)

medlarman

medlarman
Fairfax, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9213888

Here's a thread started by a fellow with an amazing container-based garden. 24 kinds of tomatoes!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194052/
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #9214039

I haven't had much luck with tomatoes in containers either, unless they are like cherry tomatoes. Beef Steaks? Not sure that can be done unless you have a HUGE container, as their root system requires ALOT - you might get two or three maters from it, but then is it worth it? I've heard that those hanging kind (topsy turvy?) upside down ones aren't bad if you have a place to hang them... never tried them though. Now Herbs - they grow GREAT in containers! My basil is beautiful this year, Oregano is going strong, Cilantro is a WEED (lol) and the Chives are doing "ok"...
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9214338

Oooh, forgot about herbs! Yes, indeed!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9219053

Welcome back to the South!

To answer the original question, radishes, peas, carrots, turnips, spinach, collards, broccoli, cabbage and kale all go in in the fall, although some things are pretty big for containers, like cabbage, or might not produce enough to be worth it, like peas.

I'm not sure what the exact timing is up in Murfreesboro, but I'll but putting in radishes, peas and turnips in late August.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9240753

Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes and recommendations! We are here! Living at a hotel - but hopefully not for long - put an app in for a house 10 min outside of town. Keeping our toes and fingers crossed. Prayers, good vibes, and anything else positive that folks would like to send our way are most welcomed. If we get this place, they said I could put in a small garden. Hoping, hoping!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9240776

Yip yip yippie ! waaaa-hooo and all that happy stuff.

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9240898

Thanks, Scooterbug - that picture is pretty much what DH and I look like right now!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 14, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9241431

You will love the south !
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9241476

It's been 20 years since I've been back in The South! I am so eating myself into a coma. ... Thank all you all - I am indeed enjoying the warm, Southern Hospitality! ... now if I can only find a home to rent... :-)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 14, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9241596

I have one for sale in MS--just a very small fixer upper, it was my Mothers. I hope you don't have to stay in a hotel too long!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9248685

Hey karla welcome to the 'boro! Where are y'all hoping to land? I'm technically in Rockvale, but it's closer to Murfreesboro and Blackman than to where our post office is located - which apparently determines our official address :-)
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9249585

Thanks so much for the warm Welcome, everyone! We're renting a little house in a quiet neighborhood of Murfreesboro. Went to the Farmer's Market last Friday, but we were still living at the Best Western, then, so I didn't buy anything. Going to go again before work this Friday. Going to have some REAL tomatoes! Yay! I picked up some literature on the Master Gardener's program, so will check that out once I settle a bit more.

Been exploring the flora on the property - discovered some ailing bearded irises that were planted about an inch under warm, wet, TN soil... do you think it is too late to lift & replant them so the rhizomes aren't buried? They are sad looking and probably haven't stored up enough energy to bloom next year anyway. Also, we have a lovely, huge Magnolia. Going to plant me a fist full of bush beans this weekend. Happy dance! Happy dance!

(Alas, to temper all the crazy goodness of green things in the yard, there is also some poison oak in the brambles in the back, and a small lake or large pond not far, where the mosquitos are enjoying the good life and drifting over to visit me :-)

Sorry for rambling - I'm just so excited to actually BE here! Been talking/dreaming about this from before I joined DG, over 10 years ago!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9249599

((( Karla )))
Hers to stickin dem ol beans in the soil n' hopin ya get some.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9249719

It sounds about right for a gardener and any piece of property in this area (we fight the cow-itch and poison ivy year-round along our fence row. Did the same thing at our last place for the eleven years we lived there.)

At least the nearby pond has water. Ours (on our property) has been dry since May. It's not prudent or polite to wish for hurricanes - and I'd never wish for anyone to be in the path of one - but those gulf storms do bring us some good soaking rains in the fall. Buy out the Farmers' market for me - I can't make it on Friday. There's another one on the square on Saturday mornings. I haven't been, but I have some friends who live off south Church who hit it pretty regularly.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9251173

Quoted: "It's been 20 years since I've been back in The South! I am so eating myself into a coma." I had to giggle at that one, Kmom! Welcome home!

I think Nicole pretty much answered your original question about what to plant. If you get to start your garden, you can still plant some cooler season lettuces and the things she mentioned. As you can tell, we've had some cooler nights already, but it will warm up a bit before we hit October. Meanwhile, enjoy the all the BBQ, catfish, hushpuppies, cornbread, turnip greens and beans your heart and tummy desires. You can still find some farmers markets around, especially on the weekends, to get some good local produce. Some of our peaches have already quit producing here but the markets are getting them still from South Carolina and other places and they are good.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9251196

OutsidePlaying, if you get over toward the Athens area soon, Isom's has some late peaches coming in now that are divine.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9251278

From Isom's? Love their peaches! I will check it out! Thanks!
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9266608

Didn't make it to the farmer's market on Friday - but did hit the one on Church on Saturday - my best friend is spending some time with me, and she is a wonderful cook - spent all weekend cooking - pot roast with new potatoes, peach cobbler, and, my favorite - pulled pork. Tried my first yellow carrots, and ate some divine tomatoes. Did some "front porch sittin'" with the dog this evening when the thunderstorm came on through. Waved at the neighbors as they pulled in their drive. Indeed, I am home! Yay!
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 6, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9266876

So glad you are enjoying your new home! Sounds like you found a great spot! Don't know if you have noticed, but we are having a get together (round up) on Sept 22 in Olive Branch, MS... don't know how far that is from you - but maybe you could join us and meet everyone??
We love meeting DG friends in person! There is a sticky on the mid south page about it...

Genna

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9266892

Time to change your DG location, Karla!
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
11:15 PM

Post #9268636

Done!
kmom246 signed up on Jan 8, 2001
That's when I became an official DG member - two states and 12 years later, we are so happy to be back home in the south!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9272415

Welcome home!
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

September 12, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9273284

Welcome back to TN, or as we like to call it, God's Country... hehe.

Don't forget McMinnville -- not too far east of you -- has more greenhouses & nurseries than churches, and that's saying a LOT in the South. You can find just about anything you could EVER need or want for gardening, yardening, container-ing, etc.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9273526

Terry, been watching your gentle DG Admin-ing and posts over the years - nice to be able to call you neighbor! :-)
E TN Red Clay - that IS saying a lot!

We are so blessed to be home!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9348816

Heya Karla What cha doin'?

Whatever it is, be good .
:P
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9354108

Well, we apparently have huge herds of cottontail bunnies. Since everything grows like a weed here, I am presuming the bunnies (or swarms of birds) ate anything yummy that i planted that sprouted :) Sad for me, but happy for them! I'm not allowed to dig at our rental, and we are in shade most all the day (a good thing for when summer comes around), so not really doing any gardening. So mostly, I'm enjoying the weather, enjoying the giant magnolia in my backyard (and all of her denizens), and enjoying the rustle of the pines. In other words, counting my many, many blessings!
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
5:46 AM

Post #9399837

What seeds do you have starting right now? moved to Middle Tn in Dec, not sure of planting times. Thanks Annette
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9399875

Annette, welcome to the South! Planting out time for veggies is around April 15 for zone 7. I think you're in that zone. I'm a little south of you but you should be good unless the weather takes a turn around that time. Sometimes it has been really warm a little earlier but we have also been known to have icy weather about that time too, so you really have to watch the weather predictions and be prepared to cover up tender plants if you've planted anything.

I've ordered seeds and will plant them soon to be ready to harden off and have them ready for transplanting out.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9400703

I have tomato seedings just sprouting on my propagation mats and lots of perennial seedlings, moved 5 boxes of perennials from NY mid Dec and planted them, wonder who will survive? thanks. Am so happy to be here, waited 1/12 years to sell in NY and still can't believe I am here.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9401267

WhooHooo!! Glad you made it out of NY too! I hope your perennials do great. Most, if not all, of them will surely survive just fine. Can't wait to see photos of your new gardens.

BTW, with your seedlings, I forgot to mention watching out for mites and aphids too. I let one tray get away from me after I set them outside last year and lost some tomato seedlings as a result. We had some cool weather around planting time and I hadn't set them out yet, so, lesson-learned. I keep a bottle of insecticidal soap handy...bought a new bottle the other day.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9401365

OutsidePlaying wrote:Annette, welcome to the South! Planting out time for veggies is around April 15 for zone 7. I think you're in that zone. I'm a little south of you but you should be good unless the weather takes a turn around that time. Sometimes it has been really warm a little earlier but we have also been known to have icy weather about that time too, so you really have to watch the weather predictions and be prepared to cover up tender plants if you've planted anything.

Just to clarify -- planting for summer veggies is around mid April, but like OutsidePlaying said, the weather can be erratic so stay flexible. Cool weather/frost tolerant veggies like peas, carrots, spinach, mustard, turnips, lettuce, radishes and such go out mid February. (And I'm ready and rarin' to go!) Watch out for slugs; they can decimate your directed seeded seedlings overnight and are at their worst in the spring.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9401873

Thanks, I can use all the advise I can get, now about the english ivy that is destroying my foundation, and has engulfed a 40 foot tree, the only one I have in my back yard:((

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9402261

Yeah, english ivy is evil stuff. I vote for chemical warfare.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9402341

Ditto the chemical warfare. I've never had the stuff. The only thing I've had to fight was a previous house where someone had planted mint. Another thug that is hard to destroy.

BTW, thanks for adding the clarification on the cool weather crops. I'm so busy with work, I have let my cool weather crops go for the time being. When I retire in a couple of years, I'll pick them back up, but I couldn't keep up with the lettuces, etc.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9403150

Nicole, OK what kind of chemical warfare?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9403493

Glycophosphate (Roundup) does a good job on English Ivy. Apply before the tree puts out leaves, of course. You can also cut the ivy stems where they climb up the tree as a secondary measure.

If you live near a waterway of any kind, check the weather and choose a day when it's not going to rain for a couple of days. You don't want the glycophosphate to run off into creeks and such; it's toxic to aquatic life.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9405527

Don't get roundup on the tree! ...
I'm going on business travel to Atlanta next week - and when I come back, it will be official Tomato Planting Time! I can't dig where I am renting, and we have beautiful, lovely trees - but that also means lots of shade. But, pretty much nothing stops me from growing tomatoes - so if you are near by, I am hoping to give away 100 tomato seedlings in a few months! Going to set up my seed starting racks this weekend so they will be all ready for me when I get back. I'm so excited!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9405681

Actually, RoundUp won't kill the tree unless the spray reaches the very top. It kills from the top down. The same is true with smaller plants so use it carefully.

I have witnessed large lower tree limbs being trimmed off large trees by being sprayed with RU. After a year they sluff off with no harm done to the rest of the tree. And I would not have believed it unless I had seen it.

My suggestion to remove the English ivy... cover up with long sleeved shirt, jeans, work gloves and pull down and dig up roots. I've had the most success removing it in this manner. Then, if segments of roots are left in ground, you can easily remove them as they sprout. Good luck with it!
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9406408

will post a pic tomorrow of the tree I am concerned about. thanks for all the advise. Annette
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9407362

the tree

Thumbnail by kobwebz

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9407448

Pretty area.

I would take a sturdy knife and cut through the ivy growth at a low level as Nicole suggested above. The upper portion will die back and can be pulled off later.

Then you can either leave the lower ivy and keep it trimmed to that height for "green" interest in winter or you could uproot the lower ivy.

I think that RoundUp will be difficult to apply when it grows that high into the tree without harming the tree. Good luck.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 8:13 PM

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
4:45 AM

Post #9407714

I have a tree that had ivy way up the truck. It took a couple of years for the upper part of the vine to die after cutting everything off at the base, but it did indeed die.

Another question is whether or not that poor tree underneath is still alive and healthy?
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9407723

I don't know if the tree is alive, we got here mid Dec, guess I will have to wait and see. Thanks for all the advise.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9490109

we cut the ivy off at the ground to about 3 feet where it is growing up the tree. The leaves of the ivy are dropping. Bought some Ultra Kill with 41% glypsosate at Lowes, ( I got a job in the outside lawn and garden dept) and plan on spraying the base of the tree, and all around the foundation of my house as it has crept in and actually grown its way through the siding and into my frontroom interior walls, so I have it all around the foundation of my house too. Am tempted to dump it full strength around the house foundation as I have heard it eats into the mortar foundation and can cause huge problems. the bottle says it makes 21 gallons.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America