Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What could I start at the end of August?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm moving to Murfreesboro TN in.. OMG, FIVE WEEKS! I probably won't be settled enough to plant anything until the end of August. Any suggestions for a tiny vegetable container garden? I'm getting desperate. I didn't really plant out anything this year, knowing that we were going to pack and move in the middle of it all, and I am majorly deprived! (I think my DH would say depraved!) Any suggestions will be most welcomed! (Besides, I need something to look forward to besides packing!)

Good-bye sand and sand and more sand! Hello real biscuits and gravy, hush puppies, humidity, bugs, trees, and, what is that wet stuff that falls from the sky? Rain?! So looking to leave the desert behind and come back home to The South!

Take care, everyone! Karla

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I do all my gardening in containers. The only thing I've had trouble with is tomatoes. I think I have a brown thumb when it comes to tomatoes in containers. I've grown cantalopes(small), beans,and peas cukes,lettuce, with no problems. You just have to fertilize and water regularly.
Vickie

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Welcome to the mid south thread and to the mid south karla. I don't do container gardening so I can't help you much there...... but you will love the mid south forum here on Dave's. So many wonderful people and lots of great help!

Good luck in your move!

Genna

Ripley, MS

I have a big container I have grown cucumbers in, but it sure didn't do anything this year, it has just been too hot. I am going to plant some more when (if) the weather cools a little. You have to really keep pots watered here that are in containers.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My cucumbers are in a raised bed and were producing like crazy until this hot weather hit. Now they are just burned up and I've watered good. All the cucumbers in my community garden look like that and they were all doing great before the heat. Just think this heat is too much for them!

I have some tomatoes in my back yard in the only little area that gets lots of sun. I have them in big pots and so far they are doing good. I have tomatoes on them but they are not large enough to ripen yet. These are some I planted later. Just have to water them everyday.

Thanks, everyone! FOUR MORE WEEKS! OMG, I am in that panic stage where I am just sure that I will never be done packing!

Gardening in the desert has definitely been, er, challenging! It's been 25 years since we've lived in The South, and we're so excited to be "going home."

The adventure is just beginning! :-)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

You can plant many perennials in the fall to have the next year - friend your new neighbors and see if you can get some free divisions!

Thanks, Karrie20x - and, yes, I am bringing my bearded irises - so they will go into containers before we leave NV, so at least I will have those. Most of them are unnamed and came from my mom many years ago. The originals are long gone, but I have the daughters.

Unrelated side note: Chiggers vs Scorpions. I'm not sure how I feel about that, yet... hubby just killed a 6" scorpion in the shop the other day...

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

scorpions scare me!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

There is a great article recently here on DG about chiggers. Im from the deep South and even I...learned from it.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I have never been able to grow good tomatoes in containers. You can grow smaller sized ones, but don't expect a good yield, so a waste of time, to be honest...... I water all of my container plants daily if the temp is 78+. :-) Tomato roots need to branch out massively, and that can't be done in a container.

Fairfax, VA(Zone 7a)

I've never had luck personally -- my container grown tomatoes also never get much in the way of sun -- but I have seen other people on DG have decent looking ones in 5 gallon buckets.

Luckily our scorpions are not deadly (unless you happen to be allergic to them or very young, infirm, or very old - similar to bee stings, I'm told). Still, don't like them showing up in the house. But, ugh, chiggers. And giant, aggressive mosquitos. But, small price to pay to be back in The South :-)

Fairfax, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's a thread started by a fellow with an amazing container-based garden. 24 kinds of tomatoes!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194052/

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I haven't had much luck with tomatoes in containers either, unless they are like cherry tomatoes. Beef Steaks? Not sure that can be done unless you have a HUGE container, as their root system requires ALOT - you might get two or three maters from it, but then is it worth it? I've heard that those hanging kind (topsy turvy?) upside down ones aren't bad if you have a place to hang them........ never tried them though. Now Herbs - they grow GREAT in containers! My basil is beautiful this year, Oregano is going strong, Cilantro is a WEED (lol) and the Chives are doing "ok".......

Oooh, forgot about herbs! Yes, indeed!

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome back to the South!

To answer the original question, radishes, peas, carrots, turnips, spinach, collards, broccoli, cabbage and kale all go in in the fall, although some things are pretty big for containers, like cabbage, or might not produce enough to be worth it, like peas.

I'm not sure what the exact timing is up in Murfreesboro, but I'll but putting in radishes, peas and turnips in late August.

Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes and recommendations! We are here! Living at a hotel - but hopefully not for long - put an app in for a house 10 min outside of town. Keeping our toes and fingers crossed. Prayers, good vibes, and anything else positive that folks would like to send our way are most welcomed. If we get this place, they said I could put in a small garden. Hoping, hoping!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Yip yip yippie ! waaaa-hooo and all that happy stuff.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Thanks, Scooterbug - that picture is pretty much what DH and I look like right now!

Ripley, MS

You will love the south !

It's been 20 years since I've been back in The South! I am so eating myself into a coma. ... Thank all you all - I am indeed enjoying the warm, Southern Hospitality! ... now if I can only find a home to rent... :-)

Ripley, MS

I have one for sale in MS--just a very small fixer upper, it was my Mothers. I hope you don't have to stay in a hotel too long!

Hey karla welcome to the 'boro! Where are y'all hoping to land? I'm technically in Rockvale, but it's closer to Murfreesboro and Blackman than to where our post office is located - which apparently determines our official address :-)

Thanks so much for the warm Welcome, everyone! We're renting a little house in a quiet neighborhood of Murfreesboro. Went to the Farmer's Market last Friday, but we were still living at the Best Western, then, so I didn't buy anything. Going to go again before work this Friday. Going to have some REAL tomatoes! Yay! I picked up some literature on the Master Gardener's program, so will check that out once I settle a bit more.

Been exploring the flora on the property - discovered some ailing bearded irises that were planted about an inch under warm, wet, TN soil... do you think it is too late to lift & replant them so the rhizomes aren't buried? They are sad looking and probably haven't stored up enough energy to bloom next year anyway. Also, we have a lovely, huge Magnolia. Going to plant me a fist full of bush beans this weekend. Happy dance! Happy dance!

(Alas, to temper all the crazy goodness of green things in the yard, there is also some poison oak in the brambles in the back, and a small lake or large pond not far, where the mosquitos are enjoying the good life and drifting over to visit me :-)

Sorry for rambling - I'm just so excited to actually BE here! Been talking/dreaming about this from before I joined DG, over 10 years ago!

((( Karla )))
Hers to stickin dem ol beans in the soil n' hopin ya get some.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

It sounds about right for a gardener and any piece of property in this area (we fight the cow-itch and poison ivy year-round along our fence row. Did the same thing at our last place for the eleven years we lived there.)

At least the nearby pond has water. Ours (on our property) has been dry since May. It's not prudent or polite to wish for hurricanes - and I'd never wish for anyone to be in the path of one - but those gulf storms do bring us some good soaking rains in the fall. Buy out the Farmers' market for me - I can't make it on Friday. There's another one on the square on Saturday mornings. I haven't been, but I have some friends who live off south Church who hit it pretty regularly.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Quoted: "It's been 20 years since I've been back in The South! I am so eating myself into a coma." I had to giggle at that one, Kmom! Welcome home!

I think Nicole pretty much answered your original question about what to plant. If you get to start your garden, you can still plant some cooler season lettuces and the things she mentioned. As you can tell, we've had some cooler nights already, but it will warm up a bit before we hit October. Meanwhile, enjoy the all the BBQ, catfish, hushpuppies, cornbread, turnip greens and beans your heart and tummy desires. You can still find some farmers markets around, especially on the weekends, to get some good local produce. Some of our peaches have already quit producing here but the markets are getting them still from South Carolina and other places and they are good.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

OutsidePlaying, if you get over toward the Athens area soon, Isom's has some late peaches coming in now that are divine.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

From Isom's? Love their peaches! I will check it out! Thanks!

Didn't make it to the farmer's market on Friday - but did hit the one on Church on Saturday - my best friend is spending some time with me, and she is a wonderful cook - spent all weekend cooking - pot roast with new potatoes, peach cobbler, and, my favorite - pulled pork. Tried my first yellow carrots, and ate some divine tomatoes. Did some "front porch sittin'" with the dog this evening when the thunderstorm came on through. Waved at the neighbors as they pulled in their drive. Indeed, I am home! Yay!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

So glad you are enjoying your new home! Sounds like you found a great spot! Don't know if you have noticed, but we are having a get together (round up) on Sept 22 in Olive Branch, MS...... don't know how far that is from you - but maybe you could join us and meet everyone??
We love meeting DG friends in person! There is a sticky on the mid south page about it...............

Genna

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Time to change your DG location, Karla!

Done!
kmom246 signed up on Jan 8, 2001
That's when I became an official DG member - two states and 12 years later, we are so happy to be back home in the south!

Welcome home!

Spring City, TN

Welcome back to TN, or as we like to call it, God's Country... hehe.

Don't forget McMinnville -- not too far east of you -- has more greenhouses & nurseries than churches, and that's saying a LOT in the South. You can find just about anything you could EVER need or want for gardening, yardening, container-ing, etc.

Terry, been watching your gentle DG Admin-ing and posts over the years - nice to be able to call you neighbor! :-)
E TN Red Clay - that IS saying a lot!

We are so blessed to be home!

Heya Karla What cha doin'?

Whatever it is, be good .
:P

Well, we apparently have huge herds of cottontail bunnies. Since everything grows like a weed here, I am presuming the bunnies (or swarms of birds) ate anything yummy that i planted that sprouted :) Sad for me, but happy for them! I'm not allowed to dig at our rental, and we are in shade most all the day (a good thing for when summer comes around), so not really doing any gardening. So mostly, I'm enjoying the weather, enjoying the giant magnolia in my backyard (and all of her denizens), and enjoying the rustle of the pines. In other words, counting my many, many blessings!

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

What seeds do you have starting right now? moved to Middle Tn in Dec, not sure of planting times. Thanks Annette

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.