Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Arnold Pink Silverbells Tree seeds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sbmKY
Oakbrook, KY

July 1, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9188545

I pulled a few seed pods from an Arnold Pink Silverbells tree. I think they are seeds. I can't seem to find any suggestions on how to grow the seeds? Do I need to do anything to them - or just plant the seeds directly to soil? I was hoping to plant the seeds in pots indoors - to give them months of growing through the winter season - would this work? Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 10:34 AM
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 1, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9188624

Are these silverbell trees? I would plant in pots -- easiet to keep track of. Those are edge of the woods type trees and so easy to get lost once you plant. This way you could give a good start. The seeds may have to go thru a period of cold first ( like in nature). I have purchased 3 silverbell - carolina . These grow to large trees. Got at a foot high - maybe a tad taller. Lost two ( to deer) and the last is ~ 4 feet high and doing well and actually flowered ( two blooms) which surprised me.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9188742

'Arnold Pink' is a selection of Halesia tetraptera (formerly Halesia carolina).

Silverbell can be grown from seed, but is a lengthy laborious process. Suggested nursery production regime is fall planting followed by two years of patience for emergence.

Combinations of warm and cold stratification treatments (or manual excision of embryos) can hasten germination. Are you game?

http://www.ehow.com/how_8190680_grow-carolina-silverbells-seed.html

Google up Halesia tetraptera seed germination, and you'll find plenty of research and reports on this endeavor.
sbmKY
Oakbrook, KY

July 1, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9189185

thanks very much for the help! I will definetly check into the link.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America