Passiflora Foetida

May Night Salvia

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love these black eyed susans!

Katie's blue ruellia

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Arlington, TX

What conditions do you have that salvia in? I tried to grow it twice and it never did much for me. Its such an intense blue!
C

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

stephanie - Your flowers are just so pretty. Does the Passiflora demand shade?

Crape Myrtles

African Daisies amidst Sweet Potato Vine

My first Dahlia bloom

Thumbnail by morganc Thumbnail by morganc Thumbnail by morganc
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Morgan.....no on the passi needing shade. I have that one in full sun until about 4pm and it grows like crazy.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Rain has knocked off a lot of blooms in last few days but here are a few July blooms. butterfly ginger, plumeria,brugmansia, white duranta, Himalayan marigolds

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 2:10 AM

Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3
Arlington, TX

I haven't heard of cosmos being called himalyan marigolds, I learned a new common name. The plumeria is pretty does it smell nice?
C

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Cheryl, I have this salvia growing in a full sun bed. It doesn't get a lot of water, but I do water every 2-3 days or so.

Morgan, the passi grows in full hot sun. It gets a bit of shade from a big oak tree across the driveway in the early morning, but after that, it's in full sun. The flowers close up around noon.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, I love the flowers on the Passiflora, maybe will think about getting one now.

Steadycam - I am envious of all the rain you got down there. We got a bit....would like more. And we have the same color Plumeria!!! I swear they smell like buttered popcorn! Go figure.

These are Sweet Almond blooms.....will smell up a large part of yard......with a Bee.

Tangerine Esperanza

More Zinnia buddies

Cheryl, I dont think these things are cosmos. they get 8 feet tall. The bloom is similar but the plant is quite different. My neighbor has cosmos, orange but they are different. I got these seeds from a trade years ago. The seeds dont look like cosmo seeds either. And, yes, Cheryl, the plumeria smells heavenly but not like popcorn to me. They are the lei flowers in Hawaii and I cant say what the fragrance reminds me of.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 10:49 PM

Arlington, TX

Tagetes patula
Ok different plant. Sounds interesting and I might buy some seed for it.
C

Cheryl, please dont buy seeds. I will mail you plenty. Just Dmail me your address.

Arlington, TX

Thank you steady for the offer but I have so many seeds right now that I really have to do some research before I decide on new plants.
Not a flower yet but heading skyward. My flower stalks were not as tall as I thought they would be last year and maybe this years crop will be more typical.

That little flower is a red dome blanket flower.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 4:37 PM

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

I am in love with some native annuals even though starting them from seed is time consuming. This drummond phlox is still in bloom. My other love is Coreopsis basalis.

Arlington, TX

Mex. hat

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Love the Phlox........after seeing everyone else's I finally bought some.....hope I got the right kind. The nursery had 5 different kinds, so I bought one of each.....hopefully they are all perennial.

Phlox

Hibiscus

Mums

I had never researched the name of the flowers the DG member sent me in a seed exchange. Cheryl, I think you are correct that these are indeed, Cosmos. I have no idea why mine are 8 feet tall and the guide says 24 to 36 inches. My neighbor's cosmos are in that short height range. The leaves on mine are much more numerous and larger than my neighbor's and mine much closer together on the stem. The seeds are slightly different but in the same ballpark. I looked at every type of marigold I could find and nothing matches better than the Cosmos. I even looked at swamp marigolds and marsh marigolds. So cosmos they are until I find otherwise. Thanks for the impetus you gave me to look them up.

Arlington, TX

Orange cosmos simply do not get that tall. Is the plant you have in the picture over 31/2 feet? There are some tall marigolds, I looked them up too.
C

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=658
that site says 4-5 feet

This message was edited Jul 5, 2012 2:43 PM

The plant in the photo I posted is the top of an 8 foot tall plant that fell over which is what all of these plants do. I tried staking them and the limbs split off and fall. I guess the stems which are 2" diameter are too weak to support the branches. I tried pinching to make a stronger, more compact plant that might withstand the rain and wind but they still did not bloom until they were orver 5 feet.When they fall over, if the stem touches the soil, they root so I have cut these off and moved them which extended the life of the plant to some degree. They look nothing like Gina's which I found on research also.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Phlox - Pink

Cosmos - Bright Lights....and they do get 5 feet sometimes

Hyacinth Bean flower

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My first sunflower ever!

Butterflies on my West Texas mistflower

Katie's Blue ruellia and Black eyed Susans.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Great Sunflower......did you plant or is it a volunteer?
Nice color combo of Katie and Susans.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Our Milkweed is doing wonderful this year.

Esperanza still going strong

And all the Crape Myrtle just makes me smile. :-))

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Morgan, I grew the sunflower from seed. So easy to grow! I'm thinking of planting more to have for the fall. This particular variety doesn't get a really large flower head, but they do have several blooms on a stalk. The tallest one I have is probably about 6' tall. I have them staked on some bamboo stalks. The color isn't as deep a golden yellow as some, but it's still pretty.

Here it is today fully opened. In the second pic you can see more buds. The third pic is another sunflower opening on another stalk.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

stephanie - the color is what I noticed first about it....I LOVE the softer yellow. Would they bloom before a freeze if you planted from seed now? I might go get some seed if so. Sunflowers are such happy blooms!! :-))

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Since I didn't write down when I planted these, I can't tell you how long it took them to flower, but I want to say it's not been more than 3 months because I planted them late. (Story of my life!) If you planted within the next week, I'd bet they'd do well.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Marty, those marigolds look like my heirloom ones from my grandmother's garden. Mine can get very tall as well and as the weather changes so does the intensity of the bloom color. Right now I have one that has yellow, orange and some orange with a darker orange stripe all on the same plant. All the blooms that formed when we were over 100 are yellow and the later ones are coming in dark orange again.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Arlington, TX

The plant in the foregroung pic looks like a cosmos, not a marigold. The one in the back is a marigold.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

They are the same plant. My grandmother always called them marigolds which is why I call them that. They were the only single one she had in her garden. I'm not going to argue, they can be a cosmos or whatever they like because they bloom profusely and withstand the heat.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

In Mass. I always grew cosmos--there are lots of different cultivars, some extra-tall, some extra-short, some double, some pink, some orange, some early, some late, etc. And it grows differently depending on soil, water, everything of course.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

rouxcrew - I'm with you....if it can bloom all season and not croak in our heat, I don't care what it's called....I call it good!!!

Our Lakeside Jasmine burst into bloom overnight and Everybody came to play with it.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful, Morgan!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice flowers, nice photos--really nice!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

That little Hummingbird Moth was moving so fast from flower to flower that I just stood there there clicking the camera. Got lots of blur and lots of nothing. But I swear I got one where it looks like it has feathers!!!
It's little head isn't showing, but look at the body.

Thumbnail by morganc
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

They are amazing creatures!!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yesterday all the blooms on the Jasmine were covered with Bees! You could hear it from 10 feet away!

Then I walked around the corner to our Crape Myrtle and the Bees were just swarming it.
I like how the pollen is different colors from different plants.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The Turk's Cap just keeps on keeping on. The hotter it gets, the more it blooms.

The blooms on the rock rose are so bright and cheerful. I love seeing them when I look out the window over my sink.

My Scaboisa is also continuing to bloom. The blooms are smaller than in the spring, but it keeps on going. It must be happy in its new location.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The butterflies love the West Texas Mistflower!

I absolutely LOVE the flowers of the passiflora foetida. Such a pretty pink and so prolific!

My flame acanthus is starting to bloom.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Lastly, for today (and for Morgan), the sunflowers just keep cranking out the flowers.

The ladder is 6' tall and the tallest of the sunflowers (in the middle) is at least 2' taller than the ladder. Not sure why they all didn't get the same height, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the amount of light received.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the color of the Sunflowers. And they are huge! Awesome.

You have so many flowers stephanie that we don't have.....I'm going to have to go shopping again :-))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images