Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: What to do with garlic scapes?

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 31, Views: 167
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9188693

I've got a bunch of garlic scapes. Am wondering what I can do with them. Any ideas?

Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 1, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9188697

DH informs me they can be used as a 'green' in salads .. kind of like using chives in a potoato salad.
He is cutting ours today as a matter of fact ..

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9188701

Do you use the whole or slice them into strips? Or?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 1, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9188871

http://www.2sistersgarlic.com/articles/garlic_scape_recipes.htm

I googled the above link .. Gord went out and 'picked' the scapes and I cut them up, about 1/4 cup per package, perhaps a bit more .. we'll use the 'scapes' in soups and likely tomatoe sauces if our tomatoes produce . They can be frozen.
Seems they can be sauteed and pretty much used is any kind of a sauce/filling etc where you would want a definite garlic flavour.

I learned something new today .. awesome :-)

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9188881

Wow! Who knew. I'm trying garlic for the first time because I'm tired of having to buy garlic from CHINA! Thanks for the link.

So, if I freeze them, do I need to blanch them or just pop them into the freezer?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9189147

The stems are delicious cooked; usable but hard when raw. You can cut scapes all the way down the stem and chop the stems for a garlic flavor in cooked dishes for a garlicky chive effect. I collect scape bouquets from the larger scapes for a vase next to the stove and use as desired instead of garlic. If you wait too long, until the scapes form heads that look like miniature garlic, you can use the tiny cloves within. A counter top bouquet will last several weeks. The tiny cloves inside more mature scapes are the size of minced garlic and can be used scattered over salads, if you are a garlic lover like us, or for general cooking. Smaller scape heads are good added to a pickle mix.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9189256

Thanks. Lots of ideas.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9189718

If you wait too long on picking the scapes they will be woody and if you pick too early they continue to grow. Steaming the scapes makes the garlic taste stronger. There are also articles and recipes for using scapes on Saveor magazine including a pesto. http://www.saveur.com/solrSearchResults.jsp?q=scape

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9189799

Wow, thanks! Lots of things to do with them. Might have to plant even MORE garlic next year to have more scapes.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9190264

That's a thought. We like the taste of the scapes and look forward to getting them every year.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9195944

Oh, so yummy in stir-fry! Good for you!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9199886

I have read where they can be sauteed and kind of used like asparagus or I would think like mushrooms over steak etc. Sounds wonderful doesn't it. I had some I planted last October and was going to harvest next month and went out yesterday and the voles or moles had taken all but 6 of them. Just made me sick. It was my second year. I had used all of the garlic I grew last year for this year's harvest.

Don't know if I will bother again. I had them in a raised bed. Should have put a chicken wire or something in the bottom of it before filling with soil etc.
mpabbott1
(Mary) Poway, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 22, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9214846

This recipe is from: A Garden for the House

Great on Crackers, or over pasta

Garlic Scape Pesto
Ingredients for about two cups:

9-10 garlic scapes, knobby seed-pods removed and discarded
1/2 cup (2.5 oz bag) slivered almonds
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Special Equipment A food processor; a rubber spatula

Preparing the scapes - Rinse scapes in cold water, then roughly chop into half-inch pieces.

Processing Pour scapes and slivered almonds into the bowl of your food processor. Blend for 30 seconds, or until a fairly smooth texture is achieved. Scrape down sides of bowl with your rubber spatula.

With the machine running, slowly add olive oil, and process until thoroughly incorporated, about 15 seconds. Then add the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper, and blend for another 5 seconds. Taste carefully you might like to add more salt and pepper.

Although this pesto is good freshly made, it is even better when refrigerated for several hours or overnight. Before chilling, place the pesto in a glass bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.

Garlic scapes are available only from June through mid-July. Consequently you might want to buy lots of them, as I do, and make several batches of pesto. These you can freeze in air-tight containers for up three months.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 23, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9215269

Sounds like a great recipe ..

We did harvest our scapes, I used some in a salad, and some in a tomato sauce recipe .. everyone who tried them thought they were great. As I have lost my sense of taste and smell .. I just have to go along with what they say :-)
I froze several batches to be used over the winter in soups and stews ..
Thanks so much for all the great tips !!

~M~
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9217040

MarilynneS I have to believe that if you put them in a salad, you didn't cook them? Did you just use them like a chive? I only have a few after the moles got the rest. I might go get the scapes and use them in a salad.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 24, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9217284

I used them in a potato salad .. thought it would be safe as the salad was big and I used only a few of the minced scapes :-)

~M~
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9217304

"safe"? Is there something wrong with them? Maybe I won't. Thanks.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9217325

I blanched and chilled the ones I used in a salad. They seemed a bit firm to me to use raw.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9217343

She proably meant safe as in would not over whelm the flavor of the salad.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9217381

Ok, I see. I thought it was strange they would be a problem. Thanks.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 25, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9217733

Yep .. the 'scapes' are pretty garlicky, and, I didn't want to overwhelm the potato salad.
I plan to use them in a Cesar Salad at some point, and will likely be less cautious ..

~M~

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9217959

by scapes, we mean the garlic leaves? great ideas

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 25, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9217980

The 'scapes' are the kind of viny things that pop out the top of the growing garlic .. kind of curl around .. they're very good to use in different recipes .. ie .. pestos, tomato sauces etc ..
I harvested some this year, minced them and froze them for winter time cooking :-)
Now .. I just have to remember I did that LoL

~M~

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9218014

Are we talking wild garlic or domesticated garlic

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 25, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9218142

Domestic garlic .. we plant it here in the fall .. it winters over under the snow, and in spring the scapes start to appear .. by June/July the scapes are ready to cut off and then do with as you want :-)

http://www.2sistersgarlic.com/articles/garlic_scape_recipes

The above is a general link ...

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 25, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9218147

http://gardening.about.com/od/herbsatoz/a/What-Are-Garlic-Scapes.htm

Sorry bout that .. the above link isn't working anymore .. hmmmm ..

~M~

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9218303

thank you so much for that link and general information. My Oma always grew those for show, garlic and there is a certain onion tthat produces this serpent. We never used it, not that I remember anyway.
This was a huge learning curve for me today. I did grow the onion in my NY garden again for show.
Had strange things, purple potatos and purple string beans,love unusual.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9218376

I think tho, that only the hard neck garlic gets the scapes, is that right?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9218436

according to the link posted above, yes interesting
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9218964

Well, I lost almost my whole bed to moles. I don't know if they took just the tops or the bulbs too. I dug into one spot and a bulb came up with a 4 inch green stem coming up on it so maybe they didn't like the bulbs. I was going to harvest next month, so might just do some tilling with the shovel and see what is down there besides tunnels.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 26, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9219519

Voles and Moles, not sure which I detest the most .. add to that a GroundHog with attitude and some mighty brazen deer and I am SO surprised we haven't lost more garden .. likely the electric fence helps .. if it wasn't there we'd have nadda ..
Hope you find 'something there Jnette.

~M~
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9219870

For some reason the deer keep their distance. That being about a hundred feet or so from the house. Which is good. I don't have anything much planted farther out than that. Don't know if it is the dog or what. She is just a pup and she is not sure what to do with them when she sees them. Whether to play with them or run from them.

But, my other dogs just ignored them too and the deer came around, but kept their distance. So, it is the smaller animals I have the problem with. Yes, moles and voles. I did find that they do not like the caster of oil pellets from Gardens Alive. It doesn't kill them, just drives them to a different area. I don't have neighbors and they would just be driven into the trees, but it gets expensive. The dog and cat do get them once in a while. Actually, the cat stays out most nights so she probably does a lot of hunting for them. I try to keep her in because of coyotes etc.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America