Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchids: Our July Summer Orchids

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 93, Views: 640
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9188825

Welcome to the July thread where we can post our summer blooms. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262497/. Please join us as we enjoy these hot weather orchids.

I'll start off with this NOID Dendrobium just because it is so pretty.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9188829

Carol's Florida Gerberara 'Snow Ballet' is blooming its little heart out.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9188832

Here is an update on Ctna Maui Maid X Mcp Brysiana. Two spikes are now open.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9189121

Thank you all for the BD wishes and to my special friend, Jim, for the e-card with the singing barber shop quartet. Bet it is because he is a singing guy. That Gerbera is a beauty, Jim, and you know I love anything with Broughtonia in it. Thanks, Jim, for starting a new thread.

You are all such wonderful and supportive online friends and orchid growers. I received email BD wishes from people who rarely post on the threads. Thanks to all for taking the time to wish me well.

If June was bad for me, July promises to be worse. I might regain sanity by mid August. We are less than three weeks from the wedding weekend. The countdown has begum. Reservations, arrangements, and assisting guests with transportation and accommodations has been a huge chore. Since everyone but us and DD's siblings, including the bride and groom, are from somewhere else they are all needing help. I am answering piles of email and calls daily at this point. Though the guest list is small, guests are driving and flying in from every corner of the country and S. America. Jim and Patty are stopping by Maypop for our Sunday open house while vacationing in Franklin, N.C..

If all goes well, and I'm still standing, I'll close on the sale of my Miami house in mid- August and we will be able to meet orchid friends in the Apopka area on our return trip. It's a sad farewell to my childhood home, family and past. The plan is to collapse and decompress for a few weeks after and then hope life, as we once knew it, returns to normal. They say nothing ever goes as planned but we can hope.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9189210

Lovely 'Snow Ballet' Jim. And the color on 'Maui Maid' just knocks me out.

Take heart, Laurel. Especially weddings never go as planned. Try as you might to make it perfect, it usually turns out that the oops-es are the most memorable moments. So, I'll go totally cliche' here and say 'Don't sweat the small stuff'. Save some energy to enjoy the moment.

We sold my parents' home in Vancouver, BC four years ago, and while it was a sad day, you never lose it as long as you have pictures and the precious memories. I went around and took a series of photos of all the family keepsakes, furniture and the garden just as it had always been before we cleared everything out. Every time I look at it the memories flood back. That house is just a house without the people you loved in it.

Hope I'll be around when you pass through, I'd love to meet in Apopka and have an orchid spree.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9189844

We dogged a close one yesterday. My wife, Patty, was driving back to Tampa from Orlando on I-4 at about 3:00 PM. just in front of her, 3 large beauty salon chairs blew out of the back of a pickup truck. One of them landed on the hood of the car and crashed through the windshield. The good news is it was on the passenger side and she managed to safely pull off of the interstate. The car had to be towed to a garage where I picked her up. The truck driver stopped and the police wrote up a report. I think his insurance will pay for damages but it will take some time. We are thankful no one was badly hurt.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9190519

Terrible news but glad Patty is okay. That car is unlucky. Didn't it get broken into weeks before your trip up here last time and didn't vacation plans go pending as a result? Patty is very fortunate. Years ago my mom was driving behind a truck carrying unsecured rolls of carpeting. The truck rear ended the car in front and the carpet rolls were launched into Mom's car. Her shoulder was shattered and multiple major surgeries required. She never had full use of that arm again.

Elaine, since I am both wedding planner, caterer, tablescape designer, florist and chef the oopsies fall entirely on me. :) With any event that I do professionally, I am a realist with perfectionist goals. There is no intention to make this a dream event, just a fun week. That said, after the wedding service and luncheon at a restaurant in Atlanta that has always delivered service to our standard, I am responsible for event set up (linen, tables flowers, decor, food preparation and service, bar and staffing) for the three other days of events at three different locations. Why? Well I think I do it better than anyone. I spent half a day selecting wines and beer last week, and afterward ordering packer cuts of meat and whole fish when most mom's of the bride would be shopping. There are gift bags with special snacks and mementos going into every guest room in progress. We have canned hundreds of jars of preserves, relishes and pickles to create country tablescapes along with flowers we grow and for guests to take home. Definitely too much going on to sweat small stuff. At the end of this event I will have prepared food for several hundred people, much of which is coming out of our gardens. I have to tend the gardens during this time as well. We smoke our own fish and meats using fruit and hardwoods from Maypop, make our own pickles and preserves and design menus featuring the freshest seasonal food from Maypop. The last day's happenings will consist of a kick back with the small number of people remaining in the area, and hopefully Jim and Patty, but it is an open house here at Maypop in the aftermath of a whirling dervish week. No worries, just a little busy.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9190542

Terrible news but glad Patty is okay. That car is unlucky. Didn't it get broken into weeks before your trip up here last time and didn't vacation plans go pending as a result? Patty is very fortunate. Years ago my mom was behind a truck carrying unsecured rolls of carpeting. The truck rear ended the car in front and the carpet rolls were launched into Mom's car. Her shoulder was shattered and multiple surgeries required. She never had full use of that arm again.

Elaine, since I am both wedding planner, caterer, tablescape designer, florist and chef the oopsies fall entirely on me. :) With any event that I do professionally, I am a realist with perfectionist goals. No intention of making this a dream event, just a fun week. That said, after the wedding service and luncheon at a restaurant in Atlanta that has always delivered service to our standard, I am responsible for event set up (linen, tables flowers, decor, food preparation and service, bar and staffing) for the three other days of events at three different locations. Why? Well I think I do it better than anyone. I spent half a day selecting wines and beer last week, and afterward ordering packer cuts of meat and whole fish when most mom's of the bride would be shopping. There are gift bags with special snacks and mementos going into every guest room in progress. We have canned hundreds of jars of preserves, relishes and pickles to create country tablescapes along with flowers we grow and for guests to take home. We just learned this week that we need to hire a driver to shuttle non-resident guests to and from the compound where we are having our Friday night affair since it is a low impact nature preserve. Non-guests must park at an off site lot.

Definitely too much going on to sweat small stuff. At the end of this event I will have prepared food for several hundred people, much of which is coming out of our gardens. I have to tend the plants during this time as well. We smoke our own fish and meats using fruit and hardwoods from Maypop, make our own pickles and preserves and design menus featuring the freshest seasonal food. The menu will feature upscale takes on traditional Georgia foods. I can't forget the vegetarians, including the vegans, those who keep kosher and those allergic to gluten. It's all in a days work. The last day's happenings will consist of a kick back with the small number of people remaining in the area, and hopefully Jim and Patty, but it is an open house here at Maypop in the aftermath of a whirling dervish week. Still need to make beds and make sure bathrooms are tidied. No worries.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9190590

I'm tired just reading about all that but if anyone can do it, it's Laurel.

Jim

This message was edited Jul 3, 2012 9:18 AM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9190607

Heavens! Mother of the bride was tough on me, although I did plan my daughter's wedding, too. She only had 12 people total, and a beach wedding so it was small and simple. A far cry from what you're undertaking, Laurel. My hat's off to you, and hope you survive it all. You'll get to take credit for the memorable oops-es and everything else, in years to come.

Jim, what a scary close call for your wife! Glad it was not as serious as it could have been.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 2, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9190732

Maxillaria tenuifolia blooming one year to the day from last years blooms. And the fragrance is so strong in the evening, but present all day

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 3, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9192058

Miltoniopsis either Komoda Falls or Keiko Komoda, tag says Falls, but I'm not too sure. About 6 more spikes on this one

Thumbnail by ted5310
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9192596

Ted, I love the Max and the Miltonia. Maxillarias do fairly well for me but not the Miltonias. Too bad as I really enjoy the flower. Thanks for posting.

Reference back to our conversations concerning the unattractiveness of orchid plants while not in bloom. My Sarcoglottis sceptrodes doesn't fit the mold.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9192599

My Psychopsis butterfly, alba form, has just opened a new flower.

Above all, happy Independence Day everyone! Stay safe and enjoy.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9192700

I agree, Jim. That's just a pretty little plant all by its ownself.

I think the little Paphs are similarly pretty. I'll risk no blooms for the nice foliage. I do have new growth on all three, though!

Update on Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' which now (4 plants) have 3 spikes open, all branching and three more spikes coming.

Ted, my Max. tens are much darker red than yours. Interesting! They do have some spots in by the petal bases, but mostly are burgundy red petals.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 3:03 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 4, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9192795

They sure are Elaine. My pic is actually a little too red compared to real life.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9193676

Laurel - I'm sure someone had to sample those wines & beers!!!! Best of luck with the wedding. I planned & executed mine. Minutes before the ceremony was to begin, we realized we had left all the "beverages" in the apt. The bartender was dispatched back to the house & we held up the ceremony till his return.
If there is an Apopka get-together in mid-Aug, PLEASE let me know. I really NEED an Orchid fix & meeting some of you would be wonderful.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9194200

I have a new spike on Epi Mabel Kanda 'Miyao' X Cordigerum 'Paradise'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9194211

More blooms on Blc. Chia Lin 'New City' X Pot. Susan Fender 'Cinnamon Stick', AM/AOS (aka. Pot. Linda Mathisen). Serious floof going on here.

Jim

This message was edited Jul 5, 2012 3:23 PM

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9194339

Vanda Natchaya Beauty 'Pink' is now fully open.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9194744

Thanks for the support Qwilter. I finished the pieced toppers! Ten!! Had to make too fat, temporary borders for the right table effect but they will come off for the future quilt. I would love to meet you and Elaine and others in the area. Hopefully we can work something out.

Wow, Jim, that's a beautiful Epi.! It looks like more like an Encyclia.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9196753

Thanks, Laurel. Here is Blc Golden Tang which just opened last night.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9196754

I also have a new spike on Blc. Hawalian Leopard 'Mai Ling'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9196756

Then I cought the silly Psychopsis sisters out playing in the OC. It's nice they are on the same schedule as of late.

Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 7, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9197007

Love the Psychopsis, Jim. I noticed earlier this week that the buds atop the stems on my Psychopsis Mariposa Green River and getting larger. Can't wait for the blooms.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9197059

Those are all beauties, Jim. Seems like your Psychopsis have been blooming for a very long time! They look like little fairies flying around, especially against that dark background.

I sure hope I'll be back from our trip up to Canada in time for an Apopka get-together!

Check out my oak branch planting, four Bl. Little Lulu's I mounted up there early in the spring. Poor things look really terrible but they're all still alive! One even has a spike, maybe. Seems as if a squirrel took a liking to a couple of them, and chewed off a few pb's but even those are recovering nicely. There's hope that this will work yet. I've got to get up there on the ladder and see if any of them are grabbing onto the bark yet. I spray the branch with the weak fert so that it runs down the grooves and the 'chids will find it in there.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9197134

I hope you're back in time to meet Laurel as well. Perhaps we can get the gang together.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9199266

My trip is off or now. The contract on the house fell through. Bummer. Well, I really didn't want to go down in August. I will have to go at some point though.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9199466

I'll keep the truck idling. :>)

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9199469

Brassia season is upon us and Brassia Eternal Wind 'Sato' has just opened its first flower. More to come.

Jim

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 9, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9199573

Laurel, Sorry about the house.

I've got a few blooms going here Laelia pacavia only has two spikes this year, one spike for Blc. 'Erin kobashi' X 'Stono river'. Acropera galeata (Gongora) has 9 stinky, short lived spikes

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 4:24 PM

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 9, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9199584

Last, but not least the mother plant (after being divided) of Jim's Gerberara 'snow ballet'. has 5 more spikes, so far this summer.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9199602

I can't believe how beautiful everyone's orchids look when I visit the monthly posts! My orchids continue to grow and bloom without photos and I keep marveling at the photos posted. Actually, I even have a few photos from previous months but no time to compress and post. Maybe I'll make a thread of photos meant to be shared but not later in the year. You all are keeping me going here. Thanks for all the good wishes. Three weeks before the four day wedding weekend and the countdown has begun.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9199753

I know you've all seen this - my NoID brassavola - a couple of times, but I'm just so tickled that I have an orchid with 5 whole flowers at once! This is a big deal for a beginner, in case you veterans have forgotten what it was like to have all young plants . . .

As a side note, nothing is simple in orchid growing, I am learning. The nice piece of cork I mounted this plant on is now home to a colony of carpenter ants! Every morning the plant on the shelf below it has a nice little dusting of sawdust on the leaves. C'est la vie.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 9, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9199802

Too bad about the house, but what is meant to be...

Carol, I have a spike on Son of Mother Gerberara 'snow ballet'
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 9, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9199816

Gosh, I really like that NOID brassavola of yours, Elaine. I will keep my eye open at every show for it. Interesting things, those ants. While not carpenter, I have them all over and living in many of the potted orchids. This past weekend I gave my Maxillaria tenuifolia a bath. It is on a wooden plank and the roots are wrapped in Sphag. Poured a little water over the roots and out popped a colony, eggs and all. I think Laurel had the idea to give them a bridge out. Well that's what I did and many left. But many stayed. I used to battle them, but their numbers are too great and so far I don't see any damage from them

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 8:23 PM

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

July 9, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9199901

Ive had ants in a few plants and sitting them in water for a while usually makes them all crawl out. Or i'd repot it if they didnt.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9200145

Ted, I'm not surprised. It shouldn't take long to bloom, now that we finally have some sun and heat.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9200235

Thanks Ted, we think that brassavola may be 'Yellow Bird'. I have another that is labeled as a 'Yellow Bird' but it has yet to bloom for me. So when it does I can make a direct comparison.

Bree, thanks for the submerging advice. I'll definitely try it as soon as all the flowers are finished. Being cork, the mount really wants to float, so I'll have to weigh it down in hopes of drowning the ants. Right now, I put it in the tub and it floats nicely like a raft.The ants climb up onto the plant, and just wait it out until I take the raft out of the water and their tunnels drain out.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9200290

I just got rid of a colony of ants in one of my cattleya pots. I just sat the pot in a tub of water for 30 minutes and that was the end of them.

Carol, love the Gongora!

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9200936

So ants are not good for the plants, or we just don't like them in the pots.
Think I'll start a thread on this

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 7:04 PM

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

July 11, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #9201189

I don't know whether ants directly eat the roots or anything but usually where theres ants theres scale, they carry it around to other plants. And if your trying to get rid of a scale invasion you need to get rid of the ants first. Yes ive weighed down a mounted Phal in water before to rid ants.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9201634

Bree, that's what my orchid book says, too. The ants don't directly harm the plant, but they 'farm' scale and also aphids and eat the honeydew produced by those. Also they import aphids and scale from other plants.

In my case, the carpenter ants are not farming, they are mining. This very nice piece of cork my orchid is mounted on could disappear or disintegrate if I don't stop the damage. Judging by the increasing amount of sawdust, the ants are hard at work in there!

My new baby - yellow spathoglottis. I have lots of the purple ones, and a pale ivory/pink one but have been searching for the yellow. Yay.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9201654

Congrats on finding your yellow spathoglottis, Elaine. I think I got mine at Lowes a few years ago.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9202976

I never find anything good leftover at Lowe's! Maybe one of these days... Anyway, I'm back from vacation and only one of my orchids was tipped over by Tropical Storm Debby. Or it could have been a squirrel - who knows? I made it through that big storm and subsequent power outage. We were without power for three days in 100 degree heat. We drove 30 miles to town to get Grandma into some air conditioning. It all turned out okay in the end. Got to see lots of family and had a good time.

I had to miss the orchid auction last month, though. Wasn't feeling well and we were leaving the next morning. I guess I'll have to wait until the next one. This month is a talk on Phals so I told Mom to pay attention and take notes - those are the only kind of orchid she has. Hopefully, we'll learn something new.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9203062

Welcome back, Melanie. We missed you.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9205363

I went to the Tropical Plant Festival at the USF Botanical Gardens today and came home with two orchids and a piece of drift wood along with some other garden plants. One of the orchids is a small non-blooming Br. nodosa that I bought to mount on the driftwood. The other orchid is Epidendrum ciliare, a cool species that I have been looking for for some time. What's more, it is in bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9205368

Bulb. fascinator opened today. I'll have to do this in two posts.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9205369

Here are the macros

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9205372

Update on Brassia Eternal Wind 'Sato':

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9206161

I like Epi. cilaiare too. Such a cool orchid! Think I was with you when you got that Bulbo, fascinator, yes? It looks great.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9206319

I was just playing around on the internet and found the following:

"Coilostylis ciliaris (Fringed Star Orchid), formerly Epidendrum ciliare, is a species of orchid in the genus Coilostylis. It was transferred from Epidendrum by Withner and Harding in 2004.[1] It is the type species of the genus Coilostylis."

The ink isn't dry on the name tag I just made for it and now it is wrong. Have mercy!

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

July 18, 2012
1:23 AM

Post #9209728

Paphiopedilum Villosum has opened its 1st flower..there bigger than my other Villosum (2nd photo).

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 4:24 AM

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9209779

You know I love your slippers, Bree. Very nice as usuall.

Rhynchovola David Sander is at it again. Here is the first of what I hope to be many summer blooms.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9209782

Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly' has doubled up on me.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9209786

Rhynochostylis retusa is about ready to pop. It puts on a great show.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9210746

I'm beginning to feel like I'm talking to myself on this thread. Wake up folks!

I have a very nice NOID Cattleya opening up today.

Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 18, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9210835

It has been quiet. Seems like I have a number of plants in spike, but no new blooms! But I do enjoy looking at the pixs. My Psychopsis Mariposa Green River has done an interesting thing. I have growing buds on three spikes. On two other spikes that lost the tips, one has grow a new 3/4" spike with a tip/bud out from the side of the old spike about an inch down. And now the other has a swelling in the same place and it looks like it to will form a new tip.
Elvis813
Ruskin, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9210981

Ran down before the rain hit yesterday morning to get a few shots of my Dendrobium crumenatum . This is the third time its flowered this year . I'm offering a couple of well-rooted keiki's for trade . This plant was a gift from the man who taught me to flask and is very dear to my heart . THX , Lisa

Thumbnail by Elvis813   Thumbnail by Elvis813   Thumbnail by Elvis813

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9211208

Lisa, your Dendrobium looks very happy and healthy. Good growing.

Ted, it sounds like you are about to put on a show for us.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9211432

Rhynochostylis retusa has opened up a few blooms:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9211437

A couple of NOID Dendrobiums are blooming as well.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9211881

Jim, your No ID ones are really pretty! I won two plants tonight at the orchid meeting. I got Eplc. Tinker Toy "Sprite" and Blc. "Bill Worsley". They're just tiny plants but I know one day they'll be beautiful! Other than that, not too much going on. Nothing blooming in the shade shack and it keeps raining so much I haven't been out there to water in forever it seems.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9213538

Congratulations on your new babies, Melanie. They are both nice orchids.

I have Potinara Hoku Gem 'Freckles' opening today.

Jim

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9215285

Any idea why my Sharry Baby had very little scent this time? Usually she makes the whole house smell wonderful. This time I had to put my nose right up to her to get any of her scent. She had 2 long bloom shoots with plenty of flowers.
Both of my "Scent of a Woman" are getting ready to bloom.

My cousin's new neighbor is supposed to have a very large Orchid collection. I keep hoping to see them out when I'm over so I could start up a conversation. They must have them all inside; none out on the back deck.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9216059

I'm wondering if the scent can be affected by the weather. It is so humid and wet here that I don't think the scent can float about normally. The temperature at 5:00 AM this morning was 74 degrees and the dewpoint was 72. Now that is some heavy air. My lake is way up and the ground is super saturated. I went out to pick a mango yesterday and found myself standing ankle deep in water. My normally high and dry magnolia tree is now four feet out into the lake. I can't mow the back half of the yard as my tractor just sinks into the muck. I guess I will learn which plants can take it and which can't.

I have another NOID Catt. opening today. My lens was fogging up on the first picture.

Jim

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9216072

Jim - I moved Sharry Baby inside before the blooms opened. Scent of a Woman is starting to bloom. I'll have to see if her scent is different that usual.

Wow, you must be getting a lot of rain. Maybe you now need a ark!!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9216105

Yes, Jean, we are getting a lot of rain. We recorded 14.5 inches of rain on a Sunday when Debbie slowly drifted past. If I had an ark I'd be loading my orchids on it two by two.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9218331

I went to the Tampa Orchid Club meeting today and came home with two new babies. The first is Bulbophyllum flabellum-veneris: http://www.orchidsonline.com.au/node/818

The second is Restrepia striata 'Jumbo': http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/orchidsgal/msg020309...

They are just small plants but I hope I can grow them.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9218339

I have Enc. atropene, var. alba 'Jim' X Bepi. Bradly's Judy 'Spots' opening today. It has a lovely fragrance as well.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9218456

A couple of updates. Rhynochostylis retusa is fully open. The flower cluster is 14 inches long.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9218460

Brassia Eternal Wind 'Sato' is also at her peak.

Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 25, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9218954

Nice, Jim. My Mariposa Green River is just about open. I am hoping a few of the other spikes I have will pop so I can get some pix on here. Neofinetia falcata has shown about 4 spikes. Can't wait

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

July 26, 2012
1:17 AM

Post #9219003

Jim is your unknown orchid this mem. helen brown?

Thumbnail by breeindy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9219721

That looks close, Bree. I'm not sure.

Good news in that the little spike on my new Bulbophyllum flabellum-veneris has opened a nice bloom.

We are packing tonight so as to leave early tomorrow for the North Carolina mountains. The bad news is that my mangos and avocados are at their peak and I told my neighbor he could have all that fall from the tree which may be all of them. The critters will get them if he doesn't keep the ground clean. He is going to mist the orchids every other day for me. If all goes according to plan, I will see Laurel and Steve on Sunday. We are looking forward to that. I'll be gone for a week or so.

Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 26, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9220001

Komoda Falls Miltoniopsis keeps on going

Thumbnail by ted5310

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 26, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9220003

Maxillaria tenuifolia in full bloom and what a smell

Thumbnail by ted5310

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 26, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9220007

Mariposa Green River Psychopsis not quite fully opened with the next to open bud

Thumbnail by ted5310

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9220277

Ooh, that Komoda Falls is an interesting orchid. And don't you wish you could smell some of these through the computer?

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9220414

Beautiful, Ted. Looks like you've got lots of spikes coming along on the Psychopsis. I love the color on Komoda Falls.

Bet you're thinking about tropical rum drinks every time you pass the Maxillaria, too. Mine only had two flowers, but it's coming along.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9221001

The orchid area is along the side of the house and there is a wooden gate towards the back. That is where the Max lives, so you get a whiff every time you walk by. On the other end of the area I have a Brug. So in the evening it can get pretty intense.
The Komoda is just exploding this year. Must be at least 10 spikes.
And here is Carol's Gerberara 'Snow Ballet'

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9221472

Dendrobium Sea Marian opened yesterday

Thumbnail by ted5310

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9221483

Different angles

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9221614

Whoo, what beauties! You sure got the light just right on both Snow Ballet, and Sea Marian, Ted. Such soft, subtle colors can be hard to capture in a picture.

Mellie, smell-o-vision would be great, but then we'd never have to leave home, right? The Maxillaria smells exactly like coconut. You definitely should put it on your list for the fragrance alone. The flowers are small but it does bloom often, too.

I love the Miltonias too, but I think it's too hot to grow them outdoors in Florida. We saw them when we toured Selby Gardens in April, and even then they had the greenhouse temperature about 10deg. below the outdoor temp.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9221688

Ted, Love Komoda Falls and the Psycopsis! I still can't figure out if it's light intensity, heat, or what that causes the variation in color on the Gerberara, but it keeps the plant interesting.
I'm going to repot my Maxillaria tenufolia. I got one short bloom in the past year.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 2, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9227703

Psycopsis and then there were 3. Still opening and tough to get an angle on all three. But it is blooming

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9227996

Wow, Ted your Psychopsis is a real bloomer, isn't it. Very pretty. I like the stems, too, they look exactly like bamboo.

I got a complete surprise today, my Lc. Amberglow 'Magnificent' burst open a nice big flower with a second one coming. Must be because it is right beside the door I come in and out of all day . . . never even noticed it had buds!

Still have Enc. Green Hornet blooming away. Every time it drops a flower it seems like a new one opens. What a machine!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9228243

Hi, everyone. We have one more night in the mountains with no internet. I an sending this while at a restaurant in town. We did visit Laurel and family last Sunday. All is well and we head home tomorrow.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9228550

I'm back in Atlanta but it will take me a bit of time to recoup. It was great to see Jim and Patty. The greenhut is a major mess. An old basketed Catt came down off the roof and crashed bark everywhere. I admittedly have several orchid casualties from my bad care. Mostly cooler growers that were previously misted several times daily and neglected as a result of the recent events. I need to find my groove. In the meantime, we are still on a post-wedding high. It was a wonderful series of events. Family and friends are calling daily to rehash the occasion. It was just what the kids wanted. We could not have asked for anything more.

There are a number of orchids blooming in the greenhut. I have not taken photos in months. Hopefully there will be something to share soon.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9228595

Very nice,Elaine. And Thanx. I don't know what it is, but I just can't seem to get a Catt type to re-bloom. My first success is Carol's gerberara. Phals only do a little better for me. Moving them around to different light levels, etc just doesn't seem to work. I feel a new post coming.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9228821

Here's what I think from my (admittedly minimal) experience and my vast collection of about 5 blooming size Catts, I can tell you this: the only one of mine that has not re-bloomed as yet is the very first one I bought. It was in bloom when I got it a year ago. I made the first of many beginner mistakes and potted it up into too big a pot, (such a pretty pot, though). So although it is happy and very healthy I'm pretty sure it's busy making roots and leaves and can't be bothered to make a flower.

Is it possible that they like to be crowded a bit to bloom? From what Carol says, that wonderful Gerberara grows like a weed, and all the pictures seem to have a ton of leaves in the pots. Does it crowd itself so quickly that it's inspired to bloom?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9229056

My BOFF is in HI for 2 weeks. Spoke to her yesterday AM & she was heading out to one of the Orchid growers. I am so jealous!!! When I was living in HI I had a front lanai full of pots of various Orchids. Never did a thing to help them along & they put on a show year round. That was back before internet and I had no clue what any of them were except pretty.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9229123

Yeah, Hawaii must be wonderful for growing orchids. )) sigh (( Stable humidity and temperatures all year 'round. Cooler than here in summer . . .

When our kids were small we used to go to Maui for 2 or 3 weeks each year. I never appreciated the wonderful plants there, too busy with kids and beach and scuba diving. Now, it's too durned far to go, especially when the Bahamas and Caribbean are so much closer.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9230767

Thanks for keeping things going while I was in the mountains, Ted and Elaine. Beautiful posts.

It's well past time for a new August thread so let us migrate to: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274090/

Jim

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America