-
AuthorContent
Whittaker
Valdosta, GA

July 1, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9188835

Hi All,

This is my first post, so hoping I can get some help (and that I am doing this right).

My husband and I recently bought a new house without landscaping. To our luck, a nursery nearby was going out of business and they were selling ALL of their plants for 1 dollar. We got these plants and originally thought they were hawthorne, but as they continue to develop we are not so sure. If you have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the advice. They seem to be growing better on the back side of the house where the soil is dry and hard, but don't appear to be developing as well (although they are not dying-they just seem thinned out) on the front side of our house where the soil is more of a damp clay. If it helps at all, we live in the Georgia/Florida line and these plants were being grown at a local nursery, however there was not any identification (or anyone to help with identifying them) when we bought them from the closing nursery.

Please respond with any guesses you may have.

Thanks for the help!

Thumbnail by Whittaker   Thumbnail by Whittaker
Click an image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9210102

Try the plant identification forum?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9210158

Maybe ligustrum...Japanese privet??

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LIJA
velveteena
Seattle, WA

July 19, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9211664

To me this looks like a beach plant. A clue might be in whatever develops from the little white buds I see in the picture. Clip off a small portion with the buds included and go to another nursery that is still in business. If you find anyone knowledgeable there, they might help you identify it, plus guide you towards something that will thrive in your type of soil and situation (sun or shade). Ask them who their resident expert is.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9211902

I would also suggest posting in the Plant ID forum, I'm willing to bet someone there will ID it for you fairly quickly. Here's a link in case you don't know where that forum is: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/

My initial impression was also Ligustrum/privet, although I'm not sure about the leaf shape

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9228238

Just in case you haven't gotten your answer yet, it's a Euonymus, most likely this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79672/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America