AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 1, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9189360

I can't believe there are still some blooms out there ...
and Bl**dy snails ! grrrrr
They have ruined one of the pretty blooms on Melissa Amy !
The batteries in my camera were almost done so the pics aren't their best.
here are some pics to brighten the day, I am afraid the frost has frizzled some but still there are some little darlings
to brighten our day.

pic 1&2 Brugmansia 'Melissa Amy' complete with snail damage.
pic 3 a big seedling that you could plonk on your head and wear as a hat, it's too tall for a close up.
pic 4 is Knightii (love it !)
pic 5 is cestrum's D.pink. (a bit torn from the wind).

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click an image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 1, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9189367

We came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1266122/

I hope everyone is cosy and warm ...the sun was quite gentle outside but the Winter is nibbling around the edges,
So tempting to want to get to bed early each night.
I do love Winter !
Except for missing the Brugs.
I so adore those who still cling on, it's very sad saying goodbye to them, I just try to imagine what they will look like next season in their Spring outfits. That helps.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 2, 2012
2:40 AM

Post #9189482

Guess now Winter is here , a Winter break may be in order ... :-)

catch up later.
chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9190525

My double white has opened and the skirt is dropping...it's very strong, the wind and rain have really belted it over the last two days...

The most surprising one to have flowers now, is Bruce's Pink...it is loaded even though the bush is yellowing...one flower is almost open, I wonder how much colour it will get.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 2, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9190550

Weather's been up and down here: 25 degrees two Fridays ago, followed by a week of rainy days and mild nights, now heading into sunny days and frosty nights again. Apparently it dipped to just under zero last night at the weather station but I don't think it fell that low in my garden and there aren't yet any visible signs of frost or its damage. The humidity will be back before I'm ready for it!

Some great blooms, Melissa Amy is a charmer! That double white with the creamy inner skirt is very pretty too Dianne, and esp welcome at this time of year. Bruce's Pink is interesting for me because of the batch of BP crosses that I've grown out (the best one being Pink Sweetie). Shaun, looks like you're a pioneer in breeding from Culebra--must feel good, eh?

Only some spot blooms left here, all of them suaveolens-type flowers (Aztec Gold, Bucks Fizz and white suaveolens), but the pods are hanging on and progressively maturing. (Allan, the shortest maturation time I've had for a brug seedpod was 12 weeks, but I'm finding the minimum now is about 16 weeks in this cooler weather--all short suaveolens or aurea-type pods--and up to 6 months or so for longer pods.) Plus, the Buddleja madagascariensis is in flower, sending out branches 3m or more in length which then cascade down with flowers at their tips--all from cuttings that I still haven't planted out into the ground (but the roots have definitely found their way out thru the drainage holes and anchored themselves into the soil). Alas, they do smell like cat pee!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9190565

Love the white , Dianne.
My little arborea is still holding its flower after well over a week.
It has another just coming out.
Little cutie.
Jean.

pic 1.. arborea flower
pic 2...arborea bud
pic 3.. Mango Cornet x Senorita Rosada
plus lots of new buds still coming
pic 4 .. PP going mad with buds. Thats a bit of MC on the left with buds.
pic 5..my little culebra.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9190589

That Buddleja looks lovely cestrum...
I couldn't get Bruce's Pink to take, at all, over 2 flushes...I can use it's pollen without any probs, but it's a very shy breeder here...not even the bees can do the trick and it has lovely full flushes...

Jean, I love the shape of the Arborea flower...is the perfume as strong in Winter?
You don't appear to have many yellow leaves...mine are all ratty and yellowing...
Mango Cornet x Senorita Rosada...what a promising cross...
How ever are we going to grow all the desirable crosses that are going to be available here in the new season...plus what we have from OS...
Thank goodness they hold their viability...

I still can't get the El Dorado crosses to grow...is anyone having any success with them?
Dianne.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9190757

Dianne, the brugs above are all on the front veranda so not showing as much yellowing as I am now seeing in most of the others.

Yes the arborea is still having the lovely perfume even in the cold. It doesnt hang around much but it is there.

Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9190779

Jean, the arborea bloom is stunning, I can't wait
For my arborea, flava, Vulcan to bloom in spring
It will be a great hit to have the cool group bloom
First in spring then all the others should follow

Cestrum thanks for the comment on 'Culbera'
I really can't wait to germinate them

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9190782

Shaun, do you mean the Magnolia "Vulcan"...you must post the pics if that's the one you mean...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9190834

Dianne no it's vulcanicola not a Magnolia hahhahah
how cute

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 3, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9190980

Of course...you completely fooled me...it is a lovely Magnolia though.
Waiting on the Sphaeros is very exciting...can't wait for the first one, who's ever it is...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 3, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9191885

Can't wait to see those first cold-climate seedlings flowering for the first time, either. What an achievement that will be!
Dianne, Pink Sweetie is a seedling from Bruce’s Pink x Alphonse Mucha (crossed by Alistair), so it is possible to get BP to set pods ... probably just need to hit upon the right set of conditions, a matter of perseverance in the end :-)
No luck with the arborea for me; still just a struggling small seedling despite the cooler conditions and its sheltered position. Just doesn't like it here!
Don't have any brug blooms worth photographing, so here's ... my native hibiscus :-) Abbey's Tangerine, in an unusual shade never seen before (reminiscent of one of its parents, Apricot Mist). It flowered continuously in spring, stopped in summer, and has now started spot flowering in winter in this unusual shade. Plants are interesting things, aren't they :-)

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 10:22 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 3, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9192091

wow so we didn't go into Winter recess ...lovely to see the pics.

Your double white is looking good Dianne, ,ost of my Brugs have copped the frosty stuff now and the -1C wind chill factor off the Blue Mountains.

Jean your Arborea bloom is lovely !

cestrum I am with you , waiting for the cool climate kids. :-) (love the hibiscus)

Shaun ...I see Alistair has started his trip up North for the Expo ...when are you leaving ?

Allan I hope you get to meet him .

Well today my Melissa Amy (Grand daughter is 24) it makes me feel ancient but happy.
It amazes me that the Brug I named after her is still here to wish her Happy Birthday, The plant has been hit by the frost and snails but it stands there looking beautiful anyway as if she knows what the day is. :-)

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 3, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9192102

Nothing much left that hasn't been frost and wind frizzled.
Heart of Gold is all colours in this weather.
The last one is cestrum's, still creamy white.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 3, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9192108

Lol scrounging around here ...1 ) very tall seedling.
2) Tintarella is far prettier than the picture shows and smells beautiful at midday today .

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9192174

Chrissy, I'm leaving Friday afternoon leaving Melbourne @ 6.40 pm
im heading to Expo Saturday and then the Market @ sunshine coast Sunday so should be interesting
Melissa Amy is looking good there

It's 11.6oc here in Melbourne and og to 6.9oC last night so the frost has not hit as yet, so it will have to weight for a while and allow for the sun to come throw like it did today for about 3 hours

Alistair is doing his Book launch on Friday so ill not be seeing him there but it would be nice to see some one. hahahahha

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 4, 2012
1:07 AM

Post #9192308

Abbey's Tangerine is certainly very different in this weather cestrum..lovely soft colours...
Bruce's Pink is opening now, the eldest is 2 days, but showing no signs of colouring up.

Tantra is going along nicely, keeping it's green leaves and about to open it's flowers as well as holding it's pods.

Hope that Melissa Amy had a lovely birthday Chrissy, her namesake is doing very well...

The Knightii pod is doing ok...the pollen parent is Ivoire...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 4, 2012
2:15 AM

Post #9192324

Have a safe trip Shaun, can't wait to hear all about it, looking forward to seeing what treasures you bring home.
Please remember the camera, people don't mind you taking pictures at expo !

Yes Melissa had a lovely birthday Dianne, they will have a weekend long party as well.
Yes the white is going on here too mostly with frost burnt edges.
Good luck with that Knightii pod, very exciting !

So many things to look forward too :-)

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 4, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9193452

Hello all.

Great to catch-up with everyone's news and lovely pics. The pods are amazing this year.

Winter here has been very mild. I cannot remember blooms hanging on for so long, and so many!

Here are a few pics of 'Coral Reef' in winter dress.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 4, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9193458

If you don't want to go broke, don't look at Arghya Gardens...Brugmansia crosses of all sorts..
Liz's garden must be wonderful when all the cvs flush...

Coral Reef look's great, Wayne...you must be just warm enough to give it some colour..
My Bruce's Pink is snow white, but plenty of them.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 4, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9193477

Yes we have been so lucky considering the weather Wayne, your beautiful coral reef is looking lovely, I don't mind the muted winter blooms.The pods are amazing this year, I put it down to a cooler wetter Summer. It will be very exciting to see our own bloom in a couple of years.
Even Frosty Pink is white here ...but still loved anyway for blooming. We have a fair bit of damage now but the more protected places are still in bloom.
I have so many crosses to grow out this year including my own, I don't dare look Dianne, it's rather amazing because Liz does not have a huge garden, she just has the right place, a lot of skill and a magic touch. :-)

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 5, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9194260

Thanks Dianne and Chrissy. Faded winter blooms - feel a bit that way myself! :) Off to the coast today, so I will remember to wear block out, just incase the sun does shine! LOL.

Here is an aurea (what was mistaken for GK), always seems to be in bloom.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 5, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9194348

Waynre, looking at that lovely aurea, I know why I love my GHA .. They are so much alike.
Your Coral Reef is s o lovely.
I do like her pale pink winter dress
If you see any sun up there, please send a bit this way so my babies dont forget what it is.
Jean..
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 5, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9194411

Your three blooming brugs are very pretty, Chrissy--glad they got a chance to bloom for you after the incredibly cold/wet summer you've had. They say that El Nino is coming so, although no one wants drought, maybe you'll get a good dose of summer sun later this year.
Coral Reef looks lovely, Wayne, and a mass of blooms. That unnamed aurea is putting on a splendid display too.
Pics please, Shaun! Wanda Hirth of Grandma’s Plant Nursery usually turns up at these festivals so make sure you check out her stall. She always has a terrific collection of unusual plants, including brugs but much more.
Nothing much in flower here among the brugs, so here's the Michelia figo (probably Lady of the Night). Didn't realise it was flowering until I smelt it!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9194520

Wayne I also love the aurea. This one I also have
And iv coined it as B.aurea (form) it was also called GC
from AListair
Coral reef is also a stunner and am sure that you'll
Have great flushes over the spring and summer season

Cestrum I will be looking for a few things but I do
Hae to be a bit careful with what I by as Melbourne
Weather won't allow to much to grow in our area versus
QLD
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 5, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9194539

I have the same problem with many things sold at Qld festivals, Shaun! (Because of the winter frost.) But Wanda's garden gets frost too, I believe, plus she has such a wide range I can't see how you can walk away without buying anything LOL
You're sure to have a good time. Will you be blogging/uploading live? Or wait until you get back to your home PC?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9194588

Running late today ...we had a plumber in to fix a broken pipe down near the front tap.What a drama !

Shaun good luck and safe trip. I have no doubts at all that you will come back with treasures. You can grow coldies Shaun we can't !

GHA is outstanding and best of all makes lovely kids :-)

Friday again already !
1 )TT hit by frost
2 )cute tiny yellow noid pretty sure GHA is involved .
3) ditto 2
4) Love Potion no.9 beautiful thing full of blooms (most hit by frost though.)
5) seed pod hit by frost :( BB x ?)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9194600

Melissa Amy ...well I confess to removing one slightly frizzled bloom to investigate the goings on inside the bloom,
Three skirts ! and shreds. This is why those semi and full doubles need a bit of maturity before you get the full picture.
I love her
Pic 1) is her inner skirts (lovely colour-even though it's Winter Pale) That leaf is not her leaf.
pic 2) cestrum, this is still creamy ...Winter pale (no pink yet) ...can't wait to see your double in Spring.
3 4 5) is Heart of Gold in all kinds of creams and old gold.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9194609

Finally the Tintarella which really shows the "tan" Wayne speaks of, it seems to be a real tan(amber/toffee tints) coming out in the crevices and rims, I think it's a darling and particularly wonderful that the scent is still around as you check it out during the day. (excuse the weeds ).

Wayne have a great time ! come back refreshed. :-) I hope it won't be too brisk.

Have a great day everyone !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2012

Post #9194887

Here comes the rain ...enjoy your weekend everyone!
be careful on the roads, anyone traveling and have fun at the Expo those of you who are attending ... :-)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 5, 2012
11:42 PM

Post #9194892

Chrissy, would Melissa Amy and Hope be 3 or 4?

Here are a couple of Tantra pics...I like it better now than in the warmer weather...it doesn't curl back and the perfume is lovely...
Maybe in future we are going to have at least a few flowering in Winter, depending when the previous flush was...
My Joseph's Coat is full of buds, some are half out of their calyx...
So is the Bruce's Pink...
Have a great time, Wayne and Shaun...

Dianne.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9194898

Cestrum I will not be live blogin this weekend
I will however get pics of some of the amazing
Plants and ? Store holders? Good week to
Net work
Shaun

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 6, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9194904

Have a safe and productive trip Shaun. Alistair has had car problems I see, but I am sure he will get there somehow.

Dianne no HOPE in the pictures ...I chopped it all up for more plants.
HOPE is a very bright yellow.

I think you mean Heart of Gold.
good luck with Joseph's Coat, it would be lovely to see it , just remember the colours will probably be very muted (although there are some that do prefer the cold.)
Like Wayne said- how good is it to still have some blooms at this time of the year. Even pale ones.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 6, 2012
2:42 AM

Post #9194922

Sorry to confuse you, Chrissy...when I re read what I wrote I could see how it would...I meant how old are MA and Hope?
I read about Alistair's rat...yukko

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 6, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9196036

Well I hope they are having better weather up Nambour way, than we are having here. See pics.

MA and HOPE (HOPE is in Capitals) are four/three years approx.

Nothing much out there- snails/slugs are having a ball in all the dampness !
These are blooms of one of the Star dancer seedlings, smallish and looking just like Suaveolens but with longer tendrils and remain open during the day.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 6, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9196044

I forgot to say that the last picture in the previous post was the sky here ...again.
I also hope Wayne has nicer weather, though I think Beaches are exciting in the rain.
Well better batten down the hatches here ...storm approaches.
Stay warm everyone.:-)

chrissy

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 6, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9196060

Interesting Star Dancer seedlings, Chrissy. Very pretty. Keep forgetting to comment on your cutting of my double pink--Phanomenal x Superspot I'd say, judging by its initial white colour. Hope you get a chance to sniff it and tell me how you'd describe the perfume. To me it's sometimes smelled of sherbet (lemony) and sometimes of talc.

Nothing much happening in my garden so took a walk around the neighbourhood with the camera and snapped some of the plants in flower:
1 Orange trumpet creeper (Pyrostegia venusta), this one not yet in full bloom. There's another quite spectacular one nearby that I must try to photograph.
2 Snowflake (Euphorbia leucocephala), the pinkish one in front and the more common white in the background.
3. One of the native bottle trees, Brachychiton rupestris, growing in somebody's front yard. So cute I was tempted to give it a hug :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 6, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9196067

How lucky to have that big cuddly thing in a garden...that's what I call forethought...I wonder if the current owners planted it...I had to put this pic in, it's the front entrance of the Geelong gardens, I have to touch them each time I walk past and the other day I took a pic..

Chrissy, the day is gorgeous here, blue,blue sky...Jean would be the same and my Brugs are really soaking it up, Tantra's perfume is lovely, not really Aurea, just a hint of it...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
2:51 AM

Post #9196124

Been to the QLD Garden Expo
I bought a few brugs that you guys will like in a
Year or so
Shiver me Timbers, Iced Lemon & Dizzy Spin
I also got a few bromeliad's and 2 Hippeastrum's
It has cost me a mint but all in all a good trip
Grandma 's garden are also giving me a plant or
Two cos of the cost Snow Cone & aurea white
I also asked where it's origin is if they could help
I also mentioned that we (me) interested in aurea's
If they had any I would also be interested In also
I spoke to hem about the QLD seller that rips people
And that also had the same problem but her problem
Was that she spent over $500 and felt ripped

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 7, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9197034

Congratulations on your haul of treasures Shaun. We will be looking forward to seeing the blooms next season.
It's quite interesting to see how small the range has remained in that place where she spent that 500.00 dollars.

I have Snow Cone here, a nice small white.
I wonder what the Aurea white is ? do you think it may be Tantra ? it will be interesting to see what it is.
Were any of the plants in bloom ?
Sounds like you had a great time.

I do love those "bottle trees" :-) Dianne, does Tantra have a slightly Hyacinth note ?

Yes the D.Pink has stubbornly remained colourless cestrum, but then so have most of the Brugs here. I hope it will change but I may have to wait until Spring, I am just so delighted it has bloomed. :-)

The Star Dancer cross is quite nice but there are others that are more attractive. It has a huge flush though, so that is always welcome as specially in winter.

have a great Sunday everyone !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 7, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9197155

I knew you couldn't walk away from the expo empty handed, Shaun LOL Can't wait to see your pics.
Alistair's rat problem?? Worse than mine? (The pets and I have killed 7 so far.)
I think the Star Dancer seedlings are pretty, Chrissy, but our expectations have *skyrocketed* in the past few years! Good for breeding maybe, esp. with those large flushes, if crossed with the right brug? I can't see you throwing it out ... but maybe leaving it behind when you move.
I love that pic of the Geelong bottle trees, Dianne--how could you *not* touch them! Dunno who planted that local one in my area. I know that once they start taking off they can grow quite quickly, but that one has such a large girth on it I can't guess how many decades old it is. Maybe if the resident is a very old person :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 7, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9197156

chrissy100 wrote:Yes the D.Pink has stubbornly remained colourless cestrum, but then so have most of the Brugs here. I hope it will change but I may have to wait until Spring, I am just so delighted it has bloomed. :-)

But can you smell it???

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 7, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9197204

cestrum, a rat died in Alistair's car in the electronics...he put it on his FB page.

Shaun, sounds like a great trip, what colour are Shiver me Timbers and Dizzy Spin?...

Lucky I have Hyacinths out at the moment,Chrissy...I can compare..
It might well be Hyacinth, they are so strongly perfumed... I can't really tell...
Here's Tantra again.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 7, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9197226

cestrum I am sorry, I forgot to smell it, I will try tomorrow morning, besides I got a little distracted by finding a certain pod had ripened.
OMG ...
I held my breath, and with a pounding heart,
I emptied out what looked like a frost damaged pod !

It's Twilight Time x Heart of Gold !!!!!
So I am very very nervous the seeds won't be any good, empty even.
I empty out the pod ...it looks just like the Aurea Seeds , very large,
Slowly spread them out and then ...peeled one ...
OMG YES !!!!!!!!!
only 40 out of that fat pod but, this is just approx the seed counts in the GHA &BB pods.
I have seeds ! My very first double to double !!!
Jumping for joy !!!!
Please excuse the excitement !!!! can't help myself !
Three more pods on her too.
No more complaints about the cool wet Summer !!! Whoo Hoo !
I truly have something to look forward to this coming two/three years ...yes before the move. ! (Hopefully ).
Can't believe it !
Pic one ...heavy breathing before the peel.
Pic two ...peeled ...I had to stop myself from just about falling off the chair !
I know I will get something good out of this cross ...both parents are just wonderful !

Please excuse ...

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 7, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9197235

Sorry Dianne we cross posted.
Shaun please post that Pic from the stall :)
Shiver me Timbers is stunning, not really that fussed about the other 2 but they hold good genes.
Yes cestrum we are getting a bit choosy ...ha ha ha OMG !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 7, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9197280

Seachanger wrote:.
Lucky I have Hyacinths out at the moment,Chrissy...I can compare..
It might well be Hyacinth, they are so strongly perfumed... I can't really tell...

Ah, now you're just showing off! LOL
I assume the RACQ, er, RACNSW (?) found Alistair's rat when the car wouldn't start? I'm guessing that Alistair doesn't have any cats ;)

chrissy100 wrote:only 40 out of that fat pod but, this is just approx the seed counts in the GHA &BB pods.

Forty is pretty darn good--where do you plan on growing 40 brug plants??!! LOL Well done! Let's see, a double and a double makes a ... quadruple :) OK, almost certainly a double, but the exact colour, shape and perfume will be unknown for the next couple of years or so. Don't forget to leave room for the seedlings from the other pods! As you say, a cool wet summer does have some advantages after all ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 7, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9197299

I will be sharing some seeds (lol if anyone wants any- I somehow doubt it) in Spring after harvesting the rest, I have the reverse cross on Heart of Gold.
So these are two crosses double to double and one double open pollinated 'Fernando' who now carries 2 pods.
Of course I am hoping that some of the multiple open pollinated seed pods may have some double donors but I suspect PP and members of family. Fernando is very close to Heart of Gold (you never know lol ).

Remember part of the deal re staying here for a while was a plowed paddock- so I could grow out as many Brugs as I want in order to choose the best to take with me. So I will plant as many as possible.
Nothing like the thrill of that first flush ...well except sometimes in the case of doubles ...the further flushes as they get better and better.
We have a large full dam, so even if we get drought, I can still manage.

I expect we will see many many more doubles to doubles coming along in Australia now we all have them, it's amazing isn't it ?
It's like the first double blooms- everything started to move very quickly after that, this too will start to move quickly too I am sure.
It's been so wonderful, I am really just so happy to see it all moving along as fast as it is.
Wish we could fast forward and watch our Brugs become just as beautiful as the ones overseas.How lucky have we been to use the wonderful imported genes from across the pond and to have the kind of weather that despite the various problems allows our Brugs to remain outdoors through Winter, thus giving us a bit of a kick along to enjoy earlier flowers than most of our overseas friends.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 7, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9197308

Congrats Chrissy.
I know you will be dancing in the streets after that find.

I now hope for something similar when I get to use my lovely senorita on another double.

We are going great for the future of Aussie brugs.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 7, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9197330

Chrissy if you think that we won't want even a couple of seeds from those exciting crosses, then you underestimate our passion for these plants...
As you said these are our first( speaking as a collective) double to double...whoopee

I wasn't showing off at the time I posted cestrum, but now I think about it, would you like to see my spring bulbs...lol...it's a lovely time in Melbourne as you would remember...

Chrissy, when I look at our Brugmansias doubles or singles, except for the exceptional ones like the Angels group...I don't think that the OS ones are better than ours.. when those pics are taken they are at their most beautiful...we don't have many yet, but we are well on the way...Look at yours for instance, is there a better soft pink than TT...I haven't seen it if there is...no, I don't have the envy any more, not after all cestrum's doubles, Jean's lovely ones, Allan's Fernando and mine...it's been such an exciting year for us, all I have is anticipation and lots of it...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 7, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9197376

Chrissy, your plot sounds wonderful!
Best way to go in the ground.
These 300mm pots here and at Rydalmere are a pain in the butt to water and fert. Certainly the field planting that you suggest is fabulous. Quick returns. AH has similar beds.
I am jealous!:)

Jean, I did not go up to Nambour.
My work takes me once a fortnight to the coast - 40min drive from here.
We go gardening, swimming, beach walking, skim stones into the ocean, explore rock pools and whale watch. My "work" reads like a holiday! :) LOL... ... ...
Come Friday I am exhausted!
If you have a spot, would love you to try 'Tintarella' come spring.

Hi Cestrum!

Some winter pics ...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 7, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #9197384

Hi Wayne! Glad your winter is so mild and your blooms are so prolific :-)
Let's see your winter bulbs, Dianne--can't have too much colour at this time of year! Although you've already done well with that selection of your brug photos :-)
Wish I had a spare paddock (must have missed the reference to that in earlier posts)! You are truly the Brug Queen, Chrissy :-)
Back to the modern torture known as flatpack furniture. One door is not quite straight and I've finally figured out what those funny screws that kept falling out are for! Buggered if I'm going to unscrew the whole lot to fix it--it will serve its purpose--I'll do it properly on the second one LOL
PS I did have some of my own double-to-double crosses (between my first two double pinks), and some were posted out to a few people. Haven't kept any germination records for myself though, and don't know how everybody else has gone with them ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 7, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9197389

Yes Wayne , I would love to try Tintarella. If I didnt have a spot, I'd soon make one...lol

Cold here but the brugs are holding up well. Mango Cornet is opening and so is PP..

Bb has been full of buds for quite a while but unlike GHA , wont open them.

I notice that some of the flowers on GHA have longer tendrils while others are the usual shorter ones.
Maybe they are trying to grow tails to curl around them for warmth..

I even found a bud on one of the Frosty Pinks out in the orchard.

Roll on early spring. The birds are building nests so it may well be early
Jean.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 5:29 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 7, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9197392

You know cestrum, while I was writing that post, I had a nagging feeling that you had crossed your pinks..
Hope whomever you gave them to, has success with them..
What are you putting together? We put an Office Works desk together a few years ago, it still doesn't have a drawer...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 7, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9197395

Seachanger wrote:
What are you putting together? We put an Office Works desk together a few years ago, it still doesn't have a drawer...

I'd like to make you an honorary member of the Flatpack Victims Survivors Support group LOL A good reason to buy secondhand, when you can find it!
It's that French style cabinet with 2 (slightly uneven!) doors from Aldi. I'm going to use two of them to replace an ugly shelving unit so that I can hide the things currently on the unit in the cabinets, and move the unit to the garage where its ugliness doesn't matter :-)
PS Checked my diary and my own double-to-double cross seeds did germinate, but don't know whether any survived the various plagues in my garden ...
Plus a couple of knightii-to-double crosses, fate unknown ...

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 4:47 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
12:06 AM

Post #9197399

Jean, Dianne Shiver me Timbers is a pink and
White double which is quite stunning. Dizzy Spin
Is a orange double triple and quite a compact
Like bloom, Iced Lemon is a double lemon with
A tight outer bloom, I also got Pepita a single
I can't tell you the color as I can't describe it
More red then orange so I had to have that also
Cos I would like to create a red warm bloom

On my IPhone I can not put pics on DG. It won't
Allow me to do ill send some when I get home

Chrissy congrats on the 40 seed from the pod that
And the growing plot sounds like what I need for
The next few years befor moving congrats
Has ? Ripened or burnt sounds like one of the first
Generation of Australian breed brugs

When I was chatting with the guys from Grandma's Garden
They say that there plants are trialed for about 5 years
Before they hit the market with Wedding Day has
Had 2 flushes and have dropped many buds so it will
Not be on the market for another year or 2
I also asked if they have trialed it in different states
And if they need some one in Victoria I would be
Pleased to help out hahah

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 8, 2012
12:55 AM

Post #9197410

Just looked at Shaun's pics of the Brugs he bought on FB...very pretty...Pepita looks lovely.
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 8, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9197412

I went to the Nambour Garden Expo on Friday and had a great day!! As my garden is now quite small I had to be strong and was not tempted to buy any new plants. It was good to meet Alistair in person and we had a nice long chat. Alistair's new book was selling for a special show price of $85 (Friday) and $75 Saturday and today.
Good luck Chrissy with the double X double seeds. It is interesting to note that the 'book' says that such double/double crosses can sometimes produce deformed doubles. Probably better to use a double X single which may not produce as many doubles but a better chance of doubles without deformities??
Allan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 8, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #9197417

Funny you should mention that, Allan...most of the OS crosses for sale are single x double or vice versa...only a few are double x double...
Glad that you had a good day...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9197419

Hi Wayne ...yes to plant in the field will be a dream come true for me, I can't wait ! of course we will need an electric fence to keep the odd beast out of there, it will be in the area I had my first veggie garden in so I know the ground is good as I had great success with that (many many years ago ). It's a tomato growing Market Garden area after all.
What was that last pink in your picture ?
I love Tintarella ! it truly develops that tan as the bloom ages, love the colour and the fragrance. Jean you will love it too.

Thanks everyone, the excitement is half the fun isn't it ? Dianne your blooms look beautiful all lined up like that,
it's true what you say our pics are beautiful already ! so are the Brugs !

cestrum ...I do hope your doubles to doubles have survived.Never mind if they don't, you can do it in Spring, (not far away). Looks like it will be every two hours again for me again, I have missed that hovering :-)

Shaun if you can't post those pics sing out and with your permission I will post them for you.
Congratulations once again on your new treasures, now you can make your own too :-)

Hi Allan, how wonderful you got to meet Alistair ! and attend that show, to see the Brugs sold out there in Public like that is just brilliant.
Yes I agree with the book re deformed brugs resulting from double to double crosses, but my instinct tells me these will be good, why ? because both have good insides (no messed up breeding bits and pieces) both parents are very fragrant and haven't been too messed with Gene wise. Unlike many I want white doubles so even if they were all white I would be thrilled.
Both parents held their buds better than most and both parents have no mites (though like any Brug the green grubs and snails etc, yet still a bit less than others.) Oh and of course long lasting and reliable blooms that always look lovely no matter what dress they are wearing in what season,they continue to produce flush after flush almost all year.
So with those things in mind I am happy with the crosses. You only need a special one to make it all worthwhile and I am very confident I will get that. :-).

I am really looking forward to being able to space the trees out ... to take full plant shots at last, everything is so close together at the moment as I am hemmed in here (having had to plant close to the home while caring for others) no such restriction here now so it's off to the old veggie garden area ).
Anyone without room, I am happy to grow out for you. Just bear in mind it will be about three years, then I would have to chop it up and return it to you after that.
Wayne I can't wait to have a real garden again, instead of a Brug assembly line, your garden is just breathtaking !
I had a beautiful garden here until hubby "semi retired" and moved 40 years of stuff into the grounds and built mutiple sheds etc.So to have a paddock back for myself is magic ! there will also be veggies too over in one area ...so I get my Hippy dream lol, just in a different way, then retire to a proper garden, maybe even hedges(out front) involved, to keep hubby busy.

It's been a happy day here ...

chrissy

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
2:23 AM

Post #9197427

You Chrissy you can post for me Permission
Granted hahahah

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2012
2:32 AM

Post #9197432

Here is hoping ...for anyone who cannot see FB
I hope you all can see it :-)

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 8, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9198449

That's a great display of brug photos from Wanda's stall. Am surprised you limited yourself to three, Shaun :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9198456

it was 4 and i got 2 for free
most of them all of us guys have and i thought that i dont want to double up or have things that u also have like lipstick Buck's Fizz Knightii ect
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 8, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9198477

Very sensible, Shaun ... although the photo seems to show a lot of new (to me) brugs ...?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 8, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9198479

Were they good sized plants, Shaun? There are some very pretty ones, I'm not at all surprised that you bought the ones that you did. A fairly big outlay, but you will recoup that amount easily when you offer them for sale...Glad that I didn't go, I'd be broke...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9198514

Welcome home Shaun ...I think you were pretty restrained really.

It will be really interesting to see how you go with the Brugs you bought back, gosh you must be worn out from all the excitement.
Did you actually see any of them in bloom ? if so which ones ?

I guess you may be asleep by now, traveling is very tiring.
Years ago that outlay would have been the price of just one Brug, so I think the prices were reasonable, as specially if the newer Brugs are really good ones.

Needless to say though, it's a beautiful thing to be able to " make your own " :-)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 9, 2012
12:34 AM

Post #9198516

"Hear hear"...though it's nice to grow the others while you're waiting.. :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9198520

Well there was only 1 plant in bloom there it looked like a suaveolens probably Buck's Fizz but there were no labels on it sham!

the plants for sale were about 6-10" tall and all looking very lush i think it was worth the travel and time i had there to obtain them

i could not consider any more plants i had to barter to get them delivered via mail as they usually don't do it, Because i had chattered with them they knew exactly who i was & where i was from so the deal was done i just had to decide what was of true value to me, my collection & our group in general i really hope that i have chosen wisely and can supply u guys with some cuttings in the next year or so of these babies.

the Girls were very sweet and very helpfull, Kristen is a MAD as we are about our Brugs and so is Wanda but i really think that Kristen is the mad hatter there

I also asked Kristen if they had any other aurea varieties and she said that she would look in the depths of the Nursery ""hahah like you crissy in the Jungle"""" and see what see could find

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2012
1:04 AM

Post #9198523

You did well Shaun glad it was a good outcome for everyone !
The Expo seems to have been a great success, I always like to hear of success in these harsh times.

I know we would like the girls from Grannies ...we love Brug nuts after all !
I did speak with one of the ladies years ago when FFA bloomed, I didn't swap at the time, if I had known a bit more about her Northern connections I would have (at the time we were worried about a certain Northern nursery- for obvious reasons). Seems she had been caught out too by the one we had been worried about.
I am pleased to hear they are doing well.

Yes it is Dianne ...absolutely !

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 9, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9199434

Shaun, did you get the parentage of what you bought ?

It is so nice seeing new brugs, but helpful to know the background for any breeding at a later stage.

Just as well I cannot get to these markets as I would also be tempted.
I love the look of Pepita and Dizzy Spin.

Good luck with growing them all on now.

I am sure you will be eagerly waiting to see them bloom . ( so will we )

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9199459

Pepita is very cute, I agree.
It is Joli x Bergkonigin (hope I spelled it right)

Dizzy Spin is
Lady Liberty x Meloncholy Baby

I think most of us have those seeds ...

Shiver Me Timbers(the 100.00 one (beautiful) is
Rubirosa x Adeline.

I love The Brug Bible because it gives us this info :-)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9199546

Thanks Chrissy I had checked them out in the brug book
And I'm very happy with the gene selection I have chosen
I do not have any crosses with Dizzy Spin's parents so it's
All new to me the others I have in different
Crosses so I'm now waiting for the plants to arrive
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 9, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9199572

Thanks Chrissy.
I have the cross that produced Dizzy Spin. (Lady Liberty x Melancholy Baby)
It hasnt Y'd as yet so something to look forward to.

Look at GHA today.
In the middle of winter and in the rain.

He is definitely my favorite golden boy.
Every leaf joint seems to sprout a bud.
I posted him on BGi this morning too.

The last pic is his ( brother ??) the twin trunked one that grew from a cutting from him
Jean

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 11:10 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9199623

That is the adventure with Brugs, same crosses produce so many interesting variations, if you are lucky you get something beautiful here and there, or at least possible breeders for future crosses. It's all about genes.
There is ALWAYS those special times when only you and no other person has looked upon this new flower, for that time only you and no one else owns this precious creation (yes I know I am crazy for them ), there is nothing to beat that feeling apart from giving birth.
I would so love everyone to have a seed grown brug of their own. Only those of you who have experienced it can know the feeling I am talking about. Next best is watching seeds you made yourself bloom for others ...it's like being a grandparent, very very special, it's Magical in fact.

It is within reach of any gardener. As we now all know.
Money cannot buy those joys.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9199667

Those pictures look great over at BGI Jean and Dianne ...lovely to see.
I am sure they will be seeing a lot more Aussie Brugs to come next Spring /Summer and onward, won't that really be something ?
it's wonderful !
Jean Brenda Delph (Lady Liberty x Meloncholy Baby) certainly had the touch. I still miss her great site and the way she displayed the parents side by side ...with this new 5 pic function at daves we can too.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9199767

So I have been out there in the cool dampness and I have to say the colours are so beautiful.
I am deeply loving Love Potion no 9 ...just so pretty !
Heart of Gold is a rich creamy warm Apricot that seems to glow awwwe ...
I am loving some of the Winter colours even though some of the ones that don't enjoy the cold remain firmly pale or white even.
What did I find in some of the calyx ? slugs setting up their winter palaces, this is why I remove them (if I can reach them) they can do so much damage to a seed pod, not to mention the chewed blooms. So nice to wander around without bug attack.
Hyacinth Bouquet has finally decided to do something but, it probably will be too late until Spring.
The pods are starting to ripen. There are so many, I am finding more and more now the leaves and foliage are dropping off,still such a big surprise !
Edited to say I remove the calyx as well as the slugs.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 12:50 PM
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 9, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9199818

Glad that you like 'Love Potion no 9' Chrissy. The mother plant is grown as a standard here, and come spring will be the "focus plant" of the new herb, "pick" garden - not that we will be harvesting any produce from her! :)

A little while back, there was discussion concerning plant labels. Yesterday at Bunnings, I found these. I have not seen them offered in years. A little pricy, $2.83 for ten. However worth the money. The plastic tags I have been using seem to break down in the sunlight - not good! These little copper tags last a lifetime.
At the "nursery" we only label the one pot in the row of seedlings - so some economy there.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 9, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9199819

A lucky dip Chrissy...
This pod on your 'Twilight Time' was open pollinated. Anyone's guess with what, too many suspects in the garden at the time.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 9, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9199824

Four lovely healthy pods developing on 'Tantra'.

The pollen, 'Frilly Dilly' (working name) - Allan Little's seed 'Musketeer x 'Fernando'.
I am hoping that the great qualities of 'Tantra' will possibly link to the double pink of 'Fernando' and the vigor of 'Musketeer'.

There will be loads of seed, so if of any interest, I will post off when harvested.

Some pics...
1. The pod / s
2. 'Tantra'
3. 'Frilly Dilly'
4. 'Musketeer' Pic Chrissy
5. 'Fernando' Pic Allan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 9, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9199919

Tantra is a beautiful thing and for me, more so in this weather, nothing to burn those pure white petals..
Chrissie, I think the perfume is more like Lily of the Valley, mine is softer than a Hyacinth...
Aren't the Tantra pods very tactile, Wayne...
If those copper tags become hard to find again ...they are readily available in my area...

Lady Liberty x Melancholy Baby is a cross that I have never seen for sale...Brenda might have been the only one to cross them...good thing that you have a sibling to Dizzy Spin, Jean...it's a nice flower...
Sometime in the future Dizzy Spin and it's sibling might get together...

I liked Pepita too...
GHA is as beautiful as ever...mine has finished flowering for the time being...and it doesn't look as lush as your's Jean...a lot of yellowing now...
Dianne...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9199946

Wayne 'Tantra' is a stunning white bloom that is small and i have a cross of it with aurea (form) that is quite small also and now after the top was burnt by frost i will defiantly have to wait till spring as it had just 'Y'd and a really healthy bud was on it. all those blooms are very attractive

those copper labels i have many of them which i use on the stock plants that are not far from flowering or have the potential to bloom ant time thanks to all you guys offering me cuttings from above the 'Y'. i also use plastic labels in all the seedlings and just place them deep in the soil on the edge of the pot and check them every 12-18months to make sure the labels are still written on or i put them in rows or clusters so that if 1 label is lost i don't lose the lot

Jean it will look like Dizzy and your cross with be buddies in a year or so and see what beautiful pups come from that mix of crossing.

This years seed pod crop will be the most extensive and interesting crosses we will have for a while and then the next generation will be the generation that takes AUSTRALIA to the WORLD

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 10, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9199965

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/147359/
Lady Liberty

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/125720/

Meloncholy baby

=Great Genes !
These were in some of the last seeds sold by Brenda, what gifts she gave us.

Creamsickle is in Lady Liberty :-)

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/212-lady-liberty/

So of course I love that.

Wayne I will get some of those Copper plant tags .
Of course I would love a couple of the Grandkid seeds and any other spares, but only if you have them to spare, would you like a few of mine ?
What lovely pics :-) that Love Potion no.9 just keeps getting better and better, I bet that herb garden with it as the feature will be stunning.

Dianne does Tantra really smell like Lily of the Valley ? Oh my goodness it is one of my favourite Perfumes, never have had a whiff of the real thing. Oh wow ! I wonder where that comes from.

Yes Shaun it will be amazing ! can't wait ...hopefully we may have some sun, but not too much in Spring 2012/2013 Spring Summer. !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 10, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9200059

Well, Chrissy my Lily of the Valley isn't in flower yet, but that is what it's like at this time...I think that it was different in summer, I'll have to make a note...

The one flower that survived the wind and rain on Charleston x Apricot Queen,my white double,fell off tonight, so when I took my last walk around the garden I saw it on the ground, when I picked it up to look at it closely, it was up too high when it was growing...
I opened it up to count the corollas there were 2, even though it had been opened for a week, the perfume was very strong...not the same as Clementine...but every bit as different...I made a note in Autumn that it had a great perfume and it's still there..
So this double white, C x AP will stay my favourite until the other one, Joli x Charleston flowers again.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9200144

Chrissy you can see where Dizzy spin gets all it's traits from both parents double from LL & the color from Mb what a perfect 50/50 mix
would we just love that type of combination every time a seed germinates hahhaha

Dianne J x.C. is a clean white which is really nice i would {cross with Knightii} tho may would not {{ deformed blooms}} to achieve a more open bloom and try for that triple or quad like Angel's sunbeam. i really glad that the fragrance is that potent and lingers for days /week

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 10, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9200749

That is a beautiful Double White ...you have a winner there Congratulations !
I might give the real Lily of the Valley another try in my next garden Dianne, of course I tried it here in drought and 40C + days in that Summer. I put ice cubes on them every other day but of course it didn't work. My hubby grew up where they grow wild, so I would love to be successful with them, for his sake too. My sister in law has plastic ones in her beautiful garden (yes they look real) but the perfume is not there is it.

Yes Shaun I guess a guaranteed beauty every time would be nice, we may be working our way towards that one day.
I like surprises too though and boy do we get plenty of those. :-)

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 10, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9200788

Lovely bloom Dianne! Do you have Alistair's 'Hyacinth Bouquet? You could compare perfume... I will post cuttings down come spring if you want HB.

Chrissy, when are you going to prune this season? I am tempted to go in early with the shrub Brugs - say late this month. The standards I am leaving alone, apart for a tidy up. As for 'Giant', 'Mea Culpa', 'Sister Bertrille' - they need drastic reduction! I booked the 4 stroke shredder in for service yesterday ready for the task. Must get the chainsaw serviced as well - I kid you not, these plants are huge!

'Clementine' - Thoughts please...
A beautiful plant, would not be without it. However, the first flush of bloom is always deformed. My thought, a hard prune now, remove all "Y" wood. Allow re-growth for a brilliant summer flush.
What do you think?

'Coral Reef' is doing well here - a very small grower. Maybe a good plant for folks with limited space.

Some summer pics of 'Mea Culpa'.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 10, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9200791

Has everyone seen Alistairs post of the lovely aureas in his Sth Am garden ? (on BGI )
So lovely.
I wish we had the pink here. .
Jean
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9200806

Jean im sure we all will have seen it by the end of the day
they are all so stunning

I like how Alistair is trying to get Aurea on to the Allow list for Australia and then there will be a flood of aurea come in from S America i bet via Alistair???
what is your thought on this issue as we cant get aurea in to Australia !!!

Wayne all those pics are very attractive to the eye your garden must be looking really great at this time of the year even in the
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 10, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9200817

There seems no logical reason that aureas should be banned while the much larger category of 'x. candida' hybrids should be allowed. I suspect it's just ignorance on the part of AQIS--someone somewhere in the distant past has decided that the candida hybrids are OK but no one has actually assessed the aureas. And anything not assessed is automatically not allowed. That's my guess, anyway.

Beautiful pics from everyone, await pruning info with interest ...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9200822

I had done pruning on my sanguinea 'Midas' about 8 weeks ago i know i should have waited but the Friggen plant was mite ridden and i thought getting rid of the main plant would help. YES IT DID.

i did cuttings of it placed a few under the plant itself and a few in th bucket next to the large hothouse all look like there doing well.

what i have noticed about the sanguinea is that it is frost tolerant i have many seedlings in the open and the 'Midas' is also they all survived the frost the other day but the suaveolens & versicolor really coped a hair cut because of the frost. I was very surprised with this issue what have you found out about frost tolerant brugs in your area?????

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 3:14 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 10, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9200876

Wayne , your plants are so lovely.
I just wish most of them would do better here, but I think they must be all sun lovers.
I still have Mae Culpa, Sister Bertrille and Giant, but they dont grow well. Maybe another season of warm weather will help.
I think because they seem so tasty to the spider mites, it sets them back too much.

Clementine is a sulky girl here. She also gets eaten by the mites , but also has bad habit if dropping her buds.
At the moment , in the cold weather she is growing very nicely and would fool you if you didnt see her moodiness.
The couple of flowers I did get from her were so lovely. I hope her mood improves with age..lol

I have buds nearly out on Mango Cornet & PP.

GHA is of course loaded.

I am surprised at BB at the moment. Usually he is quite good in the cold but even though there are heaps of buds, the flowers inside are just not growing .
The calyx grows well then either just hangs around or drops off.

The brugs are all looking very leafy even though they are now showing yellow leaves.
The last few winters they have been bald by now.
Perhaps they are becoming better acclimatised
The little seedlings in the greenhouse are still looking very good. I also have about a dozen new ones popping through..
I did keep all the different seeds for spring , just planted a couple of each to see how they do during winter.
Its odd, but the warmies sprout better than the coldies here in the cold weather. .
My cold brugs are all outside now and enjoying the weather. No sign of any Y or flowers but they are getting taller.

pic 1...Mango Cornet
pic 2...Pink Panther
pic 3... Hyacinth Bouquet ( yes, she is putting on buds ,about 4 that I can see, she is way over my head )
pic 4...some of the coldies in the open shadehouse
pic 4... Clementine & friends ( you can see the yellowing on the tops but still leafy. )

Just read your post Shaun,
I can see no reason why any of the brugs are banned. They are not weeds and there are plenty of other plants that need more control than our lovely brugs.
Perhaps some fool lumped them all in with daturas many moon sago and noone has investigated changing things.
I will be looking for some of that gorgeous pink aurea that Alistair has if they are ever allowed in .

Jean

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 2:16 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 10, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9200984

Very kind of you, Wayne..but I can't fit it in, I have 4 whites and Bruce's Pink that is Bruce's white in this weather...It has really amazed me, it has so many flowers and they are white and the leaves are yellow.

Clementine really is an inigma isn't it...It only had a couple of deformed blooms for me last Spring, but when it flowered, the flowers were completely different to the gorgeous flower that we all love...in Autumn it produced the normal flower...
I would do exactly as you said because I think that you are correct in your thinking...but I want to see if those odd ones come back again...they were quite beautiful in their own way, it just took a while to adjust to the difference...Isn't lovely for all it's quirkyness and that perfume...wow
I must go and look at Alistair's Aureas...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 10, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9201011

Yes I think it is just ignorance re The Brug bans too cestrum, after all why would anyone really know much about them here until this last few years, even in the Countries that that do allow them, they don't seem to be known by the general population all that much, how many of you here have read hundreds of articles in magazines and books that never a mention of Brugmansia. The ones that did know of them were mostly in error ie Diggers selling the yellow versicolor (which was very much more Aurea) and why would they know better ?
Hybrid Brugs are still very rare compared to almost everything else.
I am hoping that changes.
Even if Alistair can't get the real Plant into Australia, he hopefully will sell us the seeds, after all he says they are all domestic over there now (warm group), so you could safely say they are Candida mix because they probably are.

Wayne I have thought about the trimming of Brugs as you say but in my situation (yes I know it was stupid to leave them on) most of mine have large pods hanging off them. No one sees them but me, so I will be leaving them- so I can grab the seeds ...I don't mind the Winter shocked blooms, but if they worry anyone that does sound like a plan. I have 8/10 ft seedlings from you that haven't flowered yet, I am certain it is a Sun issue.
Some definitely enjoy cooler conditions, some warmer and the Aureas don't seem to mind either.
I don't know all the answers re Brugs, I am still learning every day :-)

Jean good luck with your buds, we may be experiencing a milder Winter than the last two (Spring and Summer were mild this year) I don't know about everyone else but I have had more Sun in Winter this year than the whole Spring and Summer.
Like many plants ...weather matters.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 10, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9201025

Our posts crossed Dianne, you have Hyacinth Bouquet (Mrs Bucket Lol) from me, I think it bloomed for you I can't remember, if it did what did you think of it, it is very stubborn here and has only just started to Y here.
I am looking forward to seeing it finally.

Has anyone else seen their HB bloom ?

Edited to say ...I forgot, I wouldn't be without Clementine's beautiful zingy fragrance, even if it was ugly.It is precious for the perfume alone, totally unique.

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 12:54 PM
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 10, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9201171

My Buck Fizz is going to flower for the first time, and there is 4 buds on Mango Cornet, so happy.

1. Buck Fizz
2. Buck Fizz buds ( 2 )
3. Mango Cornet

Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9201174

Gena that's great news
Hope that they give you a great flush this winter

i don't know if you got my last message but you should be trying to cross your Blooms now that the weather is cooler
I was told by The Gardening Australia group that there is a breeder up your way that is having success with Brugmansia
Good luck with the Flowers

Nice to see you pop in
Shaun

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 10, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9201176

Hi Gena ...hope you get your flush soon, Congratulations !!!
Looking forward to the pictures :-)

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 10, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9201177

I have the gas heater on here in the office...
Cold as a witches.
At home presently sick... Yep, OK "man flu"! :)
Why is it, despite illness, short of amputation can one also smile?
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 11, 2012
12:07 AM

Post #9201181

I will cross the flower and hope it holds, Yes I did thank you Shuan, I have not send the breed of Brugmansia yet, they may have good tips for up here.I read and look each day on the Forum and the lovely blooms and soon I will have some.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 11, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9201193

Yes Chrissy, you did give me Hyacinth Bouquet, it is now in my son's garden where it can grow to it's heart's content...no it hasn't Y'd yet...slow growing here...

Gena, lovely to see your plants doing so well...you will love Buck's Fizz and Mango Cornet...hope that your seeds are doing very well too...

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
12:26 AM

Post #9201195

Wayne i hope that the dreaded FLU dose not get you
they are saying that Victoria will have the worst FLU season in decades
i don't get the jab as i believe in the natural alternatives and to naturally fight the thing off.
I did how ever have a rotten cold last week just before heading up to Brisbane to the GDN Expo
I hope every one keep warm and safe from the Flu

Than HB sounds really interesting is the bloom arrogant and it's nose in the air? and looks down on every body???????
is there a pic about????

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #9201203

Sorry to hear you are unwell Wayne, go take care of yourself.
This flu is rampaging all over the place ...Brisbane is the worst hit so they say, so we Southerners are going to get it big time I suppose.
You know the drill hot, chicken soup (plenty of onions and garlic (ginger too if you like it).
Vick's Vapour Rub on the chest and soles of the feet (cover with socks) into bed and sip honey and lemon tea.

Hyacinth Bouquet is in the threads somewhere ...it is a double white and of course it smells like Hyacinths :-)
I don't see her anywhere except perhaps once or twice so I think she is a very shy lady, quite unlike her namesake lol.
She might prefer to live in Germany (like some others do.)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 11, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9201224

Here it is Shaun, quite lovely if you can get it to flower...Jean's might do it for us...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2012
2:31 AM

Post #9201231

What sort of temperatures did it bloom in do you know ?
I hope mine blooms finally, do you know if it was ok once it started it's flushes ? or still shy.
Thanks for the pics :-)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9201235

very cute indeed it's a compact double and a very clear white and i could only imagine the fragrance of this beauty
thanks for the pic Dianne
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 11, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9201242

I do not like to tell you for we are 22 degrees at the moment 8.05 down they you are so cold ( we are nothing to you but we pay in summer )
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 11, 2012
3:13 AM

Post #9201243

Seed are doing well, it is a good time for them.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9201271

yes Gena we are very envious of that type of weather during winter
Im also glad that the seed are all doing well for you hope that they all get a real growth spurt in spring for you

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 11, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9201984

I think it's Alistair's pic, Chrissy...I saved it from a thread from way back when I was trying to get pics of all the Aussie bred ones...

Enjoy it while you can, Gena...sounds as though your garden is flourishing.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9202036

Hey Gena it reached 21C here yesterday, so it was pretty good !
You are doing very well with your Brugs :-) heading back down to 2C and 3C in a couple of days.

Thanks Dianne ...I guess it is still shy then. Oh well, waiting to see her here then, I think she may remain Mrs Bucket here lol, unless I fall in love with the bloom.
Meanwhile I think I told you once before ...Knightii has a Hyacinth note too, I am trying to track the fragrances, it's fascinating.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 12, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9203528

Yes it's Friday the 13th, I usually hide away on this day ...

I spent some time out there today working out where and what to do in about 3/4 weeks from now.
While I was out there I noticed the Earth Angel x Pink Smitty x ? (open pollinated ) pods were starting to ripen, so I picked what looked to be the ripest one (just very curious-in a Season where there are so many pods everywhere from donors) there was a big pile of medium sized seeds present. Just as I suspected, almost all were empty. I managed to find 11 with a seed inside after peeling the lot. Is there such a thing as being a little bit pregnant ? no not really, it's sort of, be it one bub or 6 there is still a pregnancy.
Oh my aching fingers ... :-)
Should I have picked it on Friday the 13th ? it wouldn't really have made a difference now would it ? I feel so silly being a funny about the 13th but there it is.
Getting back to the empty corks ...don't forget, if it is a precious cross you can peel the lot and usually find at least one seed unless the bugs got into it first, not the case here , just a few grains of pollen triggered the pod.
Something tells me sore fingers will be present frequently in the next few weeks (here anyway).
I hope all your pods are not like this ...I am more excited about my own this year than the exotic ones from across the pond.
Happy weekend ...yes it's Friday again (I have survived it- so far any way). Have a beaut one !

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 4:14 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 12, 2012
11:20 PM

Post #9203537

Weather has gone awry here, too: kicked the bedclothes off last night as the *minimum* was 17 degrees (yes, seventeen degrees Celsius) and today it got to 23 but it's incredibly humid for this time of year: feels like a fine drizzle/mist outside. And humid, humid, humid. (Plus it's been raining for the past three days in our so-called dry season.) Very strange. Not complaining, and the plants love it, but they're in for a shock when the night temps plunge to near zero again as they will.

Does anyone know the parentage of Hyacinth Bouquet? Am wondering where its scent came from.

Not much happening here, despite the unseasonal humidity.
Peanut x Ruff. & Flour: a deformed flower, also tattered from snail damage
A ripe pod on Pink Smitty x Dorthea#2, ready for picking
A pod forming on a *cutting* in a bucket. The unrooted cutting had a bloom on it which opened into a flower, so I pollinated it, and it's set a pod. Viable? Probably not!
Plus a flower on the dwarf abutilon in the hanging basket--hasn't succumbed to the cold nights we've had so far. (With the exception of this week, of course.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 13, 2012
12:17 AM

Post #9203552

Hyacinth Bouquet is ... Day Dreams x little monkey #12
No wonder I couldn't remember it :-)

Imagine what it will be like trying to remember all the names soon, oh my !!!! ...brain discombobulation !
Kleine group I think little monkey ...sorry I just remember the colour I think was orange (little monkey) there were a few of them.
Must do the homework and find out.

Pretty ablutilon cestrum. Yes the poor plants are very confused, it will be awful when the temps drop, nothing much we can do but ride it out. So far so good ...all my seedlings are still alive ! much to my surprise.
Good luck with your pod. :-)

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 5:24 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 13, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9203558

Kleine app were a few single oranges here is one of them ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6666215

and Day dreams

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/93586/

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 13, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #9203565

cestrum, my dwarf Abutilons are full of half eaten flowers...snails and little slugs everywhere...
They even had the gall to try and eat the buds and flowers on my Joseph's Coat...well I've fixed them all.
VICKS...I use it on my fruit trees all the time to stop the snails and now my Brugmansias all have Vicks rubbed on their stems..
I am not going to lose flowers on the new ones...Bruce's Pink has dozens of white flowers and they only eat a few...nooooo...they want the "precious"...well so do I, so between the Vicks on the trees and the Bicarb on the table, I am winning the battle...

The flowers on JC seem to be trying to colour up, I wonder how dark they will get..they are all doubles as they were in Autumn...It's not a very fast grower but it's a great flusher...
These pics are from Autumn.
Dianne.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 7:27 PM

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9203604

I have just got home from work and noticed that one of the Tantra X. Ecuador pink pods are splitting but not turning brown or soft what should i do with it
it's been raining for a few days and has slowed down but i don't wanna loss it

Cestrum that is one Not so lovely bloom (actually it's Ugly) but great to see your pods being ready for harvest and the pod on the cutting

Chrisy thanks for the HB family tree it helps in the history im creating

Dianne those look really nice even tho they are in there winter warmers hahahah

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 13, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9203623

Edna tapes hers up Shaun,do you have duc tape ? I think that is what she uses. Remember she cuts windows in her pods to check how they are for ripeness (I am not brave enough ) then she tapes the opening back up if they aren't.

cestrum's poor baby is suffering Winter that's all. Fancy calling the poor thing ugly.

Your pretty Brugs are a delight Dianne, can't wait to see the Spring performance !

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 13, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9204216

I was following a thread on BGI . re eBay sellers (suss ones ) .
The chat got onto dwarf brugs and I wondered what we have here that although not technically classed as a dwarf, is a small grower in some areas ?

Here I have a white suavoleans that is in the ground and has been for about 5 years.
It never grew much in a pot so I popped it into the ground.
It grows well and is about 1 metre wide but has never grown any taller than 1 metre.

I have noticed that some cutting grown brugs will start to branch early at a low height and stay like that .
Others will send up taller growing shoots and keep going .
( I am talking about all above Y cuttings here as I know those taken below the Y will grow much taller before making their Y. )

Some like to branch right from the base while others will get a bit taller before branching.
Clementine, Bucks Fizz and Aztec gold are 3 I have here that do not want to grow any taller than about 4 foot. .
It would seem that the cooler climate here may retard the growth somewhat .
I dont mind as I have enough giant seedlings around.

What are the growth habits of these brugs in other areas.
Maybe , like people, some just dont grow as tall although are not really dwarf plants.

DP&G is s till small here , but going on others in different areas it is still a small one so would definitely be classed as a dwarf.

Any thoughts on others that dont get so big ??

I have seen brugs put in baskets OS , so may try that myself.
I know that many plants can be dwarfed by using bonsai mehtods , but are not really dwarfs.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 13, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9204292

Interesting subject, Jean ...I have a camellia that is the result of crossing 2 tall Sasanqua camellias, that is only 30cm x 30cm by 15cm high and it's 7 yrs old...Jean, you have a little one too,don't you?
I know it's not a Brug but there must be a reason it has stayed little..
As far as the Brugs go...I wish that I could say that I had a little one..
The nearest to dwarf would be Buck's Fizz..it's a perfect size...fence high and 6ft wide. anything that grows straight up, I take off and it has only had one growth like that.

Was your white Suav a cutting that was taken from a tall growing one?

I know that it my mother's garden, there are 2 magnolias in the front lawn that are only about 6ft tall and 4ft wide.
We are certain that the drought in their young growth period is what has stunted them...and they are about 12 yrs old...
Maybe initially pot grown and neglect is the way to stunt them.
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 13, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9204357

Its an interesting puzzle, Dianne.. What is dwarf and what just decides to be small.
I do have a small camellia in a pot . It was bought as a dwarf so is always lovely and compact, about 2'x 2'.

My small suavoleons was originally from Chrissy, so I would say , a normal tall growing one.

I find that even confined in a small pot will not stop some brugs from reaching for the sky.
They just put secret roots out that I forget are there, and get going.
I am going to repot all of the potted brugs in spring and will severely chop the roots when replanting.

I am pleased with the way all the brugs I have already trimmed are doing.
Lots of new growth.
The ones that havent Y'd as yet, I left and I see a Y coming on two of them.
Once I see what flowers are there , they will receive a haircut too.

I need to get them all down to around 4'- 5' so the wind doesnt rip them apart.

I like the way Clementine spreads herself out so will try a cutting in a basket.
Maybe her moodiness will dsappear then.

Anyone else got brugs that prefer to be small ?
It may be just us down here in the cooler place.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 13, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9204444

Jean the mother plant the cutting came from must be approx 15ft high here so that isn't the natural height of that Suaveolens.
I have some Brugs that sat at 3/4 ft for a couple of years then shot up suddenly after moving to a different position. Cuttings can be different depending on which part of the plant the cuttings came from. I tried to send above the Y cuttings where I could, knowing they would bloom sooner at a shorter height but send up a taller shoot/shoots at a later date.

Seedlings are quite different.
Some shoot straight up like Jack's magic bean in the story.
I have found almost all the German ones are shortish compared to others.

I will be able to tell better when they all go into the ground this Spring.
Most of the plants you may be speaking of are probably from cuttings, as most seedlings grow straight up unless they have lost their leader shoot. If they lose their leader shoot that can cause more spreading.

I need a bit more experience to really tell what may be a smaller grower, I honestly think that if the warm group brugs are grown in the ground, you won't find many short ones. The cold group is supposed to be shorter but I can't give advice on that as I have no experience with them.

The place we are talking about was offering so many dwarfed plant seeds of very many varieties of this and that,that it sounded very dubious to me, who knows what seeds might do (in the Brug varieties as specially).

I think your planting in a hanging basket would work Jean. Clementine isn't a dwarf though ...have you seen Alistair's and Wayne's ? but keeping it confined to a hanging basket would keep it nice and tame, hanging baskets aren't all that big after all.
Smaller roots equal smaller plants, as specially in the Brug world, they like happy vigorous roots to flower at their best though.
Just be a little careful with hair cuts, make sure you aren't cutting off flowering wood.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 13, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9204497

Chrissy, your suavoleons cutting was from above the Y and from very early, it sent out shoots from the lower part of the cutting.
It has grown into a nicely shaped plant which shoots continuously from near the base as well as along the branches.
It flowers well and does look lovely.

I have found the opposite here with the German seedlings. They quickly get to over 6' before they even think of making a Y.

The ones with Bergfeuer genes seem particularly inclined to overshadow everything and have the largest leaves of any of my brugs.

Frosty Pink is another that likes to stay around 4' - 5' here, both in the pot & in the ground.,

Rain here all day today and the brugs are loving it. .

I now have about 10 seeds sprouted in the greenhouse.
It can be cold in there but they are looking strong. A good start for spring brugs. .

I have so many seeds to plant in spring , I may need a second storey on the greenhouse..lol

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 13, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9204512

ha ha ha, how weird is that, my Frosty Pink (the one in the Jungle) is a gigantic thing ! I am constantly hacking it away from the boardwalk here.
I think it must love all the rain.
Even the Arborea down in the Jungle are so tall I can't reach up through the Canopy to take photos any longer.The ones in the pots remain at about 4/5 ft.

The climate and rainfall are so very different aren't they ?

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 13, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9204569

I forgot about Frosty, my 3 cuttings from Colleen a couple of years ago, have stayed small...about 4ft and slow growing in the ground or pot...great one for flowers though..
Chrissy, FFA has flowers about to open, I wonder if they will colour up...

Tantra is very beautiful, lots of flowers and no brown marks from the rain, how is your's going Jean?...
mine took a couple of years to flower and at the moment it's loaded...must be the Aurea factor keeping the flowers crisp and white...

I think that we are very lucky to be on this journey, we are discovering all the quirks of these absolutely fascinating plants...the fact that they are behaving so differently from one garden to the next is amazing..
Not only one garden, also the micro climates within the garden...you never get tired of them because they are so unpredictable...
Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 13, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9204592

Look at this promiscuous lady...2nd corolla still tucked up but the stigma is out and about...
I didn't cross Joseph's Coat with anything but it flirted with everything and had about a dozen pods that I removed except for the largest...

I have to work out who to cross it with next season.
Look at that frisky stigma...the pink colour is just touching the petals...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 13, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9204604

Dianne, Tantra is growing well but no sign of any buds earlier or now. Maybe this spring.
My arboreas are both in pots and doing well..
I am very pleased with the growth on the coldies now. I dont think I will see flowers this year but you never know.
Some of the sanguineas are around 4 1/2 ' high.
They all like being out in the rain and cold. .

Chrissy, it is all still so very new to us here so I think wonderful things have happened , but even more to come as we grow with our brugs.
I have always been one for trying plants in different climates to see what they do and the brugs are rewarding that interest.

I am still surprised at my BB this year though.
Lots of buds but they are not growing inside at all. The other ones with buds are slowly opening, even PP . I would have thought BB would be full of blooms by now.
I must give him a good talking too as it hasnt been any worse this year and he did flower well last winter.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 13, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9204627

A double with an exposed stigma ...yippee ! :-) Dianne.

Jean it's just the weather, I think we are lucky to see anything happening at all ...it's Winter after all.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 13, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9204629

I went out and told all the brugs that if GHA can be so beautiful in the winter, they all can so hope to it...lol

I am getting the feeling that I was being followed by secret spy bees ( or moths) when pollinating.
I have several noid pods .
I think the spy bees are pinching the pollen I use and being naughty with it on other flowers. .
Strange thing is , I tag all the ones I do, but found several tags on the ground weeks later
They cant come off on their own so do I have bees that think they can do better...or...??????

Gardens are full of strange goings on..

Jean.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 14, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9204637

It's all those cheeky little fairies I think Jean. lol Colleen
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
2:19 AM

Post #9204645

Colleen your talking about me & my friends hahahahah

Girls you all are having a great time with those blooms out of season, this is in my opinion that your plants are in protected area's and don't cop to much weather. If the plant is exposed to the environment you would probably not have as many blooms as you do almost all of my plants are exposed to the weather, wind & frost so this is why i have no blooms this winter the plants are large 10+foot tall and many stems but recently i coped the frost on almost all of the 8+ footers so that's like all of my original plants all the cuttings that you guys supplied have not been seen by Jack frost and they have been protected for this winter but next winter im sorry HARD LOVE

Talking about dwarf?? i thought that my aurea(form) was a dwarf but it is in a 80L garbage council bin but i have recently put a cutting in the ground and it has taken off.
I also have Aztec Gold which is in the ground and had not grown taller then 4 foot tall but ill feed it up this coming spring to see if it will move on!. but FP is a mammoth and is like taking over the fence about 10foot tall and 10 wide going to be a good look this 1 flush in spring

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 14, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9204680

Shaun, the thought of you wearing a fairy dress, sitting on a Brug branch and waving a wand is mind boggling...
At least all the other fairies would have pretty hair styles...

Also I'm about to dispute your theory about all of the winter flowering Brugs being in protected areas...Until this year, none of my Brugs have flowered thru Winter, in the case of Tantra, yes it's protected...but Bruce's Pink and Ivoire are well over 10ft and as such are above the fence line and subjected to all the freezing winds, hail and whatever else has been thrown at them...and they are loaded with flowers and more coming on.
Bruce's Pink will not have a leaf left by Spring, everyone of them is yellow, but the flowers are doing their best to show a bit of pink.
Ivoire on the other hand isn't fazed at all and doesn't have many yellow leaves to drop.

About a week ago we had frost on all the cars left in the street, something we never see.

I'm sure that Jean's place is colder than mine and far more open and yet GHA is flowering beautifully there.

I haven't got an answer, Shaun...but it is happening and a friend on a local farm, who I give my spare Brugs to...has them in a bed in the middle of a quarter acre lawn and I don't think that they have dropped a leaf and 3 out of her 7 are loaded and they aren't Aureas.
Go figure..
Here are a couple of pics from her garden taken last week...Maya and a Pink noid.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 14, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9205333

I agree, most of mine have their heads in the air with no protection, it seems that some Brugs do cope better than others, where the sun hits them while the frost remains on them matters though, since the heat of the sun causes the frosted cells to explode.
This is why you water them first thing in the morning before the Sun hits, them as this saves them most times. I used to do that, but no longer. If you cease using the fertilizer mid Autumn so the leaves are no longer so lush (new growth), that helps them too.
The length of time the frost lingers of course matters, prolonged frost is very tough on the brugs. So far the frosts in my area have been few and not prolonged.
Here it is the icy wind off the Blue Mountains that does the most damage- wind chill factor.
All in all the Winter so far has been fairly mild here compared to most years, so were the Spring /Summer months.
As mentioned before the Sun during these weeks of Autumn /Winter have shone more than all the so called Spring Summer we have had. The poor Brugs really do need some Sun to do well.

Great pics Dianne :-)

Shaun lol !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 14, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9205426

Here is Joseph's Coat this morning...a little bit of pink showing but I don't think it will get any deeper..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 15, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9205584

Wow they are looking mighty fine even if pale Dianne.
I bet it will be a stunner come Spring.

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 15, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9205622

Hi everyone. Lovely pics. Have a question please? Is Bucks Fizz an Aurea, if so can it be pollinated by Avalanche? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 15, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9206286

No Colleen, Buck's Fizz isn't an Aurea, but even if it was it could still be pollinated by any of the warm ones.
Are you looking for an orange Avalanche? lol... great idea...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 15, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9206301

There is no info on Buck's Fizz, it looks heavily Suaveolens in shape. you can pollinate it with Avalanche or any warm group pollen.My bet would be lots of white seedlings from that cross. I stress that it would only be a guess, who knows with Brugs, it only takes one out of a whole pod to be special, to make it worthwhile. I would cross BF with other heavily Aurea based Brugs if it were mine. It depends on what you like in a Brug.

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 15, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9206313

Thanks Dianne and Chrissy. I found a pod on Bucks Fizz yesterday. I didn't do it. lol Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 15, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9206370

I just went out in the rain to check on whats doing with the brugs.
Lots of yellowing leaves now with the cold , but all still looking good.
Pods & buds are hanging on and flowers slowly opening on a few.

I couldnt resist pics of the 2 GHA plants in the rain.
No wonder I love them .
The arborea is such a cutie too.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 15, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9206642

Good luck with your pod Colleen, my Buck's Fizz and Pink Panther would have hundreds of babies if they were left to their own devices...they are next to each other.
I guess that's what has happened in your garden.

Always in previous years I have pruned hard in Autumn and they have put on their new growth during Winter, this year I didn't so they have flowered.
Next year I will prune all except Tantra, GHA and Ivoire, their flowers are well worth having at this time of year, there is not a noticable difference in the colour and the perfume is longer lasting...

For the others a prune in Autumn will produce a Spring flush as it has in previous years...weather permitting and if the growing gods are on my side...

Jean, every time I see that Arborea, I get tempted to ask for a cutting. but I will resist with so many others coming on...lol
GHA is gorgeous as usual..
Dianne.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 15, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9206688

Dianne, I will be putting Ivoire out with GHA . I love seeing the flowers on these dull days.
I have just been out looking at Mango Cornet. He has 13 buds & flowers . Some already opening with those delicious tendrils.
PP has hung onto one flower which is nearly open.
BB is finally opening some flower s, but OE has tossed all the buds.
Hyacinth is still holding her buds and I hope to see at least one open later.
Maybe she likes the winter.
I'll see whether she is a Mrs Bucket or Bouquet this year.

Cestrum's Big Floppy has a long flower which is coloring before it opens fully.
It has been hanging there for about a month now.

The Iochromas are in flower and growing ever taller. Looks like another haircut in spring.

Still showery here and the brugs are loving it but some sun now would be nice to bring the flowers out properly.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 15, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9206699

I forgot about the Iochromas, Jean...they don't stop either do they...
Hyacinth Bouquet is another of those mystery bags really.
It's pod parent Day Dreams is a lovely double, but Little Monkey#12, was that a single like Klein app?...
Seeing that Klein app was nicknamed Little Monkey,
Did the hybridizer name the #12 after K.app because it looked like it or was it just the 12th seedling and it didn't look like K.app at all..
If not then what did it look like?
Chrissy remembers it as orange?
Alistair would know...I must send him a Dmail...
Dianne.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2012 5:44 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9206716

This may explain some of your question in part Dianne ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4574215

Edited oopsy wrong one ! that was just the picture of one ...this is the link.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/816267/
and another ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/999905/

There was a whole group of them, orange singles I believe.
My guess is that it was seed 12, but it may have been a pod number.

My Iochromas are finished for now but had flowered for months, I have fruits on them.

Jean good choice of a cross.
Yes The Arborea is very sweet, they smell so lovely too.
Lots of frizzle out there but only in some places.
In others new leaves are coming out ...crazy !

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 16, 2012 6:55 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9206721

More info

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/12362-klein-app-cross-x-nol-brenda-d/

Meet little Monkey
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/491-kleine-app/
Ludger's Windsong is Klein-app x ? (one of the "little monkeys"
here is one of my Ludger's Windsong crosses 1)
Also FFA is Ludger's Windsong x New Orleans Lady and a few others here.

:-)
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 16, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9206968

Well Chrissy, looks as though "Little Monkey #12" is probably an apricot/orange single...thanks for the links.
I would have liked to know if it was pale like Kleine aap or darker like L.Windsong...
Alistair doesn't recall, but he did say that HB was mite free in his garden and that it had a wonderful perfume...
So good news for Jean...mite free...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9208170

Yes it has the perfume of Hyacinths, I do remember that :-) I can't wait to see the blooms, she was hit badly by the hail, so I shouldn't be so hard on her, besides I do love white Angels. I don't think it was the actual hail hitting the branches of things as much as the inches of hail sitting over the roots of things until almost lunchtime the next day, maybe it froze some of the upper roots. Some of the Brugs really suffered.

Well we have some frosty mornings returning in the next few days, but the good news is (if you can believe it), is the return of warm dryer days towards the end of August, so be prepared just in case.

I feel a real ripple of excitement when I think about those lovely Spring flushes ...the dear little brug babies in their humidy cribs will wake up in a few weeks now, and really get going.
In no time flat we will be complaining about the heat ...unbelievable as it seems.
Lets hope it will not be like our poor friends over the pond who are in severe drought, the thought of fires always is a bit of a worry, last year we were told to expect fires and to cut things away from the home.
That didn't happen, all we had was rain, rain and more rain ...so I guess we won't know until we get there.
I know this isn't the same for everyone, I am just talking about my area.
If it is very hot it means up and at it at dawn, back inside by 9 or 10 depending on the heat. Then no work outside until the heat is turned down, late in the arvo.
I have missed that in a way because of all the mud and rain amongst other things.

Every year is a new adventure,and getting ready ...what are your plans ?
Are you getting ready for the big heat ?
I wonder if hubby might give me some shade area in the paddock, I would love that, hmmm must work on that plan, just don't want to push my luck :-) ...thrilled just to have the area at long last !
We had a lovely area out front ready but I chickened out because I felt it was too close to the street. It is warmer and more sheltered out back.
Besides they would have had to go in with the fruit trees so I just decided to wait until we fully retired.
We are taking a risk putting retirement off, but I get my space and will give it my best shot while we are still here.
We aim for 3/4 years depending on hubby's health.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 16, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9208242

He's opening...
Mango Cornet...love the tendrils.
The long bud way at the back is PP.

Also the two iochromas.

Jean

This message was edited Jul 17, 2012 4:25 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9208252

Oh love the Iochroma pics Jean !
Nice to see you having some pretty Brugs starting do do their thing :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9208267

Nothing much happening out there, I have the frizzled bits here and there ...some escaped.

Here they are
1) This is one of Wayne's given to me as a cutting, described as yellow PP open crossed (Giant ?) ... it was one of the first bits.
It now towers over the 6ft fence and is in reasonable shelter ...can't get up close it is a large pretty yellow bloom, the leaves toothed.
2 and 3 are the pic of the last of the Star Dancer Blooms on SD 3 ...I like the nice solid look of the bloom, the way it sits up too, this isn't the best one either, I think they are growing on me. Looks like they would fill the Winter gap with a bit of shelter.
4 and 5 Melissa Amy, last bloom on the flush, the Bl**dy slugs didn't get this one, she is very very pale after a very cold night, she still has green whiskers in the inner tendrils ...so cute, I do love her.

chrissy

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 17, 2012
12:08 AM

Post #9208277

Here is one of the bud of Mango Cornet, I did not fine for it was hiding under a leaf very closely.

Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

July 17, 2012
12:14 AM

Post #9208279

And I didn't see that one.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 17, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9208284

That is beautiful Gena we Southerners are envious of your Northern colours !

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9208298

Gena that is very cute bloom

Jean, love those Iochroma blooms i could just imagine the colors in full bloom WOW

Chrissy the 1st from Wayne is a nice looking bloom and then the SD very proud to be im sure & MA is pale and washed out just because she don't have a jacket on or the weather is COLD

I have nothing on by it dose look like My DRC always had blooms but Munchausen has 2 blooms on it and im glade that i have a few less then a hands full od them at this time of year
DRC has flowers all year round and is in slow motion mode during winter but still pops the occasional 5-8 blooms at any given time
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 17, 2012

Post #9209689

This is my Mango Cornet today with some Winter blooms. This flush of blooms is not as big as I have had in the past but I suspect that this is because I have so many seedpods still hanging on the bush. I think having a lot of seedpods may inhibit bloom production to some degree?. Have harvested 3 pods so far off MC but still about 16 to ripen!
When I get a bigger variety of crosses harvested I will list what I have and happily share some seeds with you all.
Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 18, 2012
12:10 AM

Post #9209702

Hi Allan it sure is a pretty picture, seed pods all over it ? on purpose or open pollinated ?
Do you know how to start a new thread ? if you do , could you start one with that lovely picture ?
If not I could do it for you with your permission.
Thanks so much for sharing it with us. :-)
Edited to say ...what a pretty Hibiscus (one of yours ?)

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 5:12 PM
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

July 18, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9209704

New thread started... go to http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1271565/
Allan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America