Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Is my water lily too low in the water?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 6, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9189404

I am new to water gardening. Last year, I built a Koa pond and placed a water lily is a gallon bucket. Do I need to raise it up some in the water? The pond is about 3 1/2 feet deep. I see all the beautiful pics of others lilies and they seem to show much more stem above the water. I appreciate all help.

Thumbnail by PhyllisJ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9189405

Here is a close up of the lily. The pond is in full sun. I usually have 3 or 4 lilies blooming but this week I only have one.

Thumbnail by PhyllisJ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 2, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9189596

I assume you mean the flower stalk and not a leaf stem? I think it depends on the plant type.
C
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 2, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9189598

That lily looks healthy and normal to me.
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9189628

Thanks so much. Yes I meant the stalk. I see so many pics where the stalk is above the water. I wasn't sure if I needed to raise it up some. I am not sure what lily this is. It was given to me.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9190695

Phyllis

Some of the tropical waterlilies will stand up higher in the water.

The hardy waterlilies, which looks to be what you have, will sit at the top of the water regardless of the depth of the waterlily. The only time I have seen waterlilies stand up out of the water as you have described and that is when they have needed to be divided.

PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9190760

Thanks Carolyn for the information. Yes, it is a hardy lily. I would love to have a tropical. We are in zone 6 so it wouldn't overwinter here in Tennessee. I am still learning about water plants, I looked locally for a Tropical and couldn't find one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America