Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9189511

I had started a thread on the subject 'Show us your spiders' webs..' some years ago. It came to Part 2 and stopped there in 2009. It is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1054480/

I just thought of reviving it since so many new members have joined since then and sharing some lovely photos from their gardens and elsewhere in other threads. So I thought they will surely find some nice webs in their gardens also. This thread may not run as fast as the other ones, but let's try to keep it going at its own speed.

I start this part with a picture with a beautiful web I found yesterday. I don't know the name of the spider, but he is a fine artist!

Dinu

1. Full view of web in the morning sun.
2. Cropped that image to show it closer.
3. This fellow waits in his web he has weaved on hyacinth leaves on my pond.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9195767

Great pics Dinu! I love spiders (mostly because they eat bugs/insects that attack my plants.) We have a lot of jumping spiders here - they don't make webs to catch their food though.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9196515

Thanks Lady pearl. There are jumping spiders here also in my garden. I had posted pictures of them mostly in the Bug identification forum and a few at other places also.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9196900

Wonderful spider webs, Dinu ... I too, am a huge fan of spiders, and love to see them and their handiwork in my gardens!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9198486

Dinu, I have always been fascinated by the webs spiders build. They can build such intricate, beautiful creations and do it so fast. The first web that you captured is quite intricate.

I found a few webs in my photo files to share.

In the first photo, I was actually trying to get a photo of the Dickcissel bird and when I focused my camera on it, I noticed the web. I don't know what kind of spider made these webs.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9198935

Oh, Patti, very nice webs ... number three is especially lovely!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 9, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9198987

Thanks Patti and Jubi. It happens so many times, these 'luck shots' (bird and web). Some years ago, I had an e-mail with fantastic photos of spider webs in mist. They were so lovely that I did not believe it was real. Then after some weeks, someone posted a picture of a web taken after a morning mist. Only then I believed it was real. Then I tried to use the sprayer to create mist on the web in my garden and in fact, did get a photos. This is what DG can do! I'll dig up a few photos from my recent archive. I had posted my older shots in the two previous threads. I'm glad this has some interest. I expect more pictures from others so that we can learn more about these interesting insects from other parts of the world. I have seen some webs - so thick. Thick silk!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9198998

Dinu, Yes, I love it when spider webs are covered in dew in the early morning. The warm early morning colors are beautiful and the dew makes the spider web look like strands of pearls. Although, the best "pearls" shot I got was as you describe with my trusty spray bottle of glycerine water on the web. This is a cropped photo.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America