Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: What happens to your garden or plants while you're on vacation?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 64, Views: 553
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin
Schenectady, NY

July 2, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9189937

There are a total of 108 votes:

I have an irrigation system that is on a timer.
(14 votes, 12%)
Red dot

A friend or relative waters my plants.
(40 votes, 37%)
Red dot

I hope for rain while I'm gone.
(14 votes, 12%)
Red dot

I do not vacation during growing season.
(30 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(10 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Regality
Concord, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9189977

I have a combination system--conventional and drip-- depending on what's being watered. However, it's not particularly efficient, so I always cross my fingers as I make my first inspection of the garden after returning home from a trip.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 10:37 AM
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9190003

Actually, I voted I don't vacation during growing season…But to be totally truthful, We don't vacation! Most we ever do is a day, or couple of day trips! Just pretty much home-bodies!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9190032

Our vacations are usually no longer than 10 days, so I deep water the garden before I leave, and again when I get back, if it hasn't rained.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9190036

we never both go away at the same time...at least we haven't so far.
if that does ever happen, 10 days would be max and i'd have a friend come over and turn the sprinklers on for at least the main garden.
i hate going anywhere...
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9190060

Part is on a timed drip system and the rest I have to rely on family. After this year's 14 vacation, I've decided to put everything on a timer before our next big vacation in 2014, as I lost some things due to issues with someone not understanding how the system operates.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9190265

I try to stay local during our summer months and winter during the rain to a sunnier clime. If we are gone for the weekend or so, I'll put all the container and houseplants on the covered east-facing porach, and water well, but don't usually worry about the yard.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9190346

Voting "other" as I've worked toward water sustainability over the past few years of erratic rainfall.

Before vacation, I pot up plants that are rootbound. Even cutting back the root systems if needed.

I have vegetables growing in lasagna beds and have also built a few hugelkultur beds. Both styles retain moisture well.

I lay out landscape timbers in 2 x 8 foot beds on level ground or the brick patio, placing them where they will receive evening shade. I line the beds with black plastic and fill with a shallow amount of water. These are for my potted plants that demand more moisture. And while I am gone, the beds will catch and retain any possible rainfall. If the plants should show any wilting, the young man that cares for my four legged menagerie can easily add water without much effort. I add a mosquito dunk to each bed for prevention.

I have succulents under the porch roof as I had lost some in the past due to too much rain. I also have my Hoyas on the porch and before we leave for vacation I will water well them by immersion. This allows the pots to be submerged and the root system in thoroughly drenched. Then I hang them back up.

Nope, I don't stay gone too long... from a week to ten days. One year, we had additional obligations and were gone for two weeks. I haven't lost plants except for the year the succulents got repeatedly drenched. I still worry and it is a lot of effort but worth it. When I get back from vacation, I feel no one missed me... lol Kristi
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9190517

I rely on rain since no one here at my house can be relied on to water. I can tell them exactly what to water and how often and it still doesn't get done. lol
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9190555

I have a landscaper friend who comes over and waters my potted plants. I have over 20 pots, so it takes a dedicated and knowledgeable person to help me out.
Barb
thaidai
Phutthamonthon
Thailand
(Zone 10b)

July 3, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9190871

We get one of our workers from the factory to come over when we are away if it's the dry season the whole garden and pots need watering and top up the pond as the water evaporates (temps reach 100 C). If its the monsoon season (May to October) we just need the potted plants watered. I do lose the odd pot plant as they don't always put the water in the pot! Just on the plant itself.

The last time I went home to England I bought a cheap rain guage. But had not thoought about the amount of rain here, which can be more than 50mm in a day!

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 6:47 PM

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9190887

Vacation? You mean we are supposed to get a vacation?

I use up a lot of my vacation time (from work) taking a day or two here and there for various things. If I take a week or so of consecutive time, I usually use the time to get caught up at home and do things around town. I guess I'm more of a staycationer. I'm sometimes gone for a week on business, but I find the garden, flowers, lawn, etc can usually take care of themselves that long. I do have an in-ground, automatic sprinkler system with multiple zones each of which can be controlled separately, but as we normally get adequate rain water here (52in/year), I only use the sprinkler system as a backup during times of drought.
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 3, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9191194

Why go on vacation if you can stay home? LOL! We are real home-bodies. Last Christmas we went away for a weekend - the first time in 6 years. Hated it...

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9192240

I schedule vacation time for gardening. I take a fews days here & there for gardening activities; such as planting & harvesting. These are the things that I enjoy doing more than anything else. I kid you not!
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9192567

Everything but my houseplants are on a timed drip/sprinkler system. My garden wouldn't survive without it. While I don't vacation during the summer, my husband and I travel often for work. My mother-in-law refuses to let us set up a timer system for her garden and spends an hour each morning and evening watering her yard and garden.

Wow, some of you have rain in the summer? We haven't had any rain for more than a month now. Total rainfall for the year so far is less than 4 inches.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9192672

The ground is rock hard and no rain even not water the plants at all... I have 4 rain barrels and never got hook up yet... I hope T-storm coming next week for sure (maybe!)...

Happy 4th of July!

Take care and stay inside for extreme hot today until Saturday...

No vacation for me...
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9193158

I was hired to water my sister's neighbor's garden while they are on vacation, and I have been out there every day in this 100 degree heat. They come home tomorrow. Whew! Everything is alive and well, though.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 4, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9193222

Is not God suppose to take care of this mess.
I am now considering letting them go --- there is no end in sight is there? I feel like a murdererer though - I have finally watered enough to coach the watermelons out of the ground -- seems kind of cruel to stop now???
What do you guys think - will this drought end soon and I should keep going or just throw it in for a loss?
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9193280

Drought? We just had another couple of inches here! If they are beginning to grow, I think I'd keep at it and give them a chance…As long as the pocketbook would allow! :-))
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 4, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9193293

I believe you are rubbing in about those two inches.
Okay, I am pretty sure I will be a crying when I get my water bill next month. This month it was only 10 dollars more that usual.
That is not so bad, and there is always a chance that after these 10 days it will break. I sure hope so.,

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9193729

Other . . . I just hope it won't rain too much!

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9193736

If it wasn't for the fact that home grown vegetables taste so much better than store bought, I would have quit gardening years ago!

As to the water bill... I schlep buckets of rainwater around some days. Other days, I use a hose. I'm keeping fingers crossed that I can afford the bills this summer.

I have found that once vegetable plants are well established, they can go a really long time without being watered. Lots of composted soil and mulch helps, too.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9193737

thaidai wrote:The last time I went home to England I bought a cheap rain guage. But had not thoought about the amount of rain here, which can be more than 50mm in a day!

Errrr . . . that can happen here too, got that much in just 2 hours! (as in the pics above...)

Resin

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9193739

One of the reasons I left England back in the mid 60's was because it always seemed to be raining!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9194013

resin, that first picture looks like my driveway yesterday...3+" in 45 minutes.
i feel badly for anyone getting too much or too little rain...the gardener's curse, both of them.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 5, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9194138

Well it rained today, and saved me from dragging my sorry self down to the bottom garden to haul water to those watermelons, Thanks for your prayers and look like we might get another. We need it because was enough to settle the dust.

I thought that first picture was like the Miami River up in Ohio, around the town of Hamilton, Ohio. For some reason they have built stair steps (I guess it is dikes or little damns) in the middle of the river. I DIDIN'T KNOW IT WAS REALLY RAIN WATER GOING DOWN STREET STAIR STEPS. What a great picture!
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9194668

I voted other because I just didn't understand one word in the question -- "vacation". What's that?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9194862

LOL, McCool, I know what you mean!
Incredible pics, Resin!
Great to have rain, Liquidamber2, I was at a garden center when it started pouring, and everyone had happy smiles.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9195303

My husband usually stays home to care for plants (he's not a traveler). I give him detailed written instructions and drawings to help him. He does pretty well actually.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9195568

Well the few day or weekend trips is about it here. When funds allow gulf coast destinations,only that is not often.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9196518

"A friend or relative waters my plants."

I just got back from a 10-day trip. I had two different sets of folks watering, but I had no idea we'd be in a drought while I was gone. The plants are out there, not dead, but they're not doing anything. I watered the garden for 3 hours yesterday morning. Of course all the bermuda grass around the garden is growing and looks lovely.

My flowers and shrubs have taken a bad beating.

praying earnestly for rain on my little village lot.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 7, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9196528

You have that type of grass up there too.
Have you ever dug that stuff up. It has deep roots that really rhizomes or what I would call rhizomes. It is the only thing that can with stand my geese and still grows in the geese lot. I thought the north was getting the rain???
Ohio and northern Ky has been gettin plenty.
Is the storms forming to far to the east from you? Ain't that horrible.
Hubbys says a cool front is coming through here tomorrow with severe storms. Maybe you will get some then. I will give you a prayer. :)
I hate droughts.
SallieKr
Cherry Valley, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9196578

Who has time to go on vacation! Actually, my husband & I went on a trip (2nd time in 22 years) just last January. Not much growing in Northern IL at that time :)

Thumbnail by SallieKr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9196590

Somebody is a snowbird (LOL),truthfully I wasn't all that much later than that.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9197003

We haven't gotten plenty of rain in the northern tip of Kentucky, but we did get a little today.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 7, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9197159

Sorry ,KyWoods;
I was just listening to my hubby which is always telling me where the rain is . I ask just now about what you said of the rain in northern Ky. He said they had been (slap on forehead here - oh my). - I think-- you all may have had a couple of rains that we did not get at the very beginning of this drought is all . As far as him saying there had been rain; well heck - we had at one time rain here too! At one time!

I am sorry about your drought and feel you pain, and I should have know that you all were having a drought too - my mother talks with her sister about every day . And my aunt lives in nothern Kentucky, not too far from Florence. She has lupus;but in good health inspite of it. She went out to speak to a neighbor today and had a heat stroke - I guess lupus is a hypothalmus origin type of autoimmune disease and real sensitive to maintaining body temperature. Still that is pretty hot for her to be out in it for only a little while and wake up in the emergency room.

But cheer up; we are suppose to get rain more tomorrow. :) Very severe though : (

Oh almost all my wateremelons are up . I have about 20 in one spot and five more other spots with nothing. I wonder if tomorrow during the severe storm with winds whipping at my clothes - if I might be able to transplant?
RebeccaLynn
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9197320

I love growing flowers and vegetables. Every summer day the vegetable garden needs tending and the flowers need dead heading. If we weren't watering nearly every day during this hot/dry summer, the plants would wilt and die so quickly. We don't can and freeze anymore, but we love eating fresh tomatoes, squash, green beans, cucumbers, okra, and potatoes. And we love sharing them with our friends and neighbors. We plan our trips to the beach and mountains in the spring and fall, as well as our trips to visit children and grandchildren.

Thumbnail by RebeccaLynn   Thumbnail by RebeccaLynn

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9197659

Beautiful gardens, Rebecca.
LiquidAmber, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt having a heat stroke. How scary that it happened so quick! I have a cousin in New Orleans with lupus.
Florence is only about 25 minutes south of me.
chicochi3
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9197726

What's a vacation?
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9197737

Liq: We had heavy rain yesterday, all of a sudden, with extreme wind. Knocked down two trees in my son's yard. Lots of limbs and stuff, but we DID get rain. Be careful what you ask for! LOL

We should get more rain today and tomorrow. I am praying for it. What we got yesterday was just a start. We are down over 12" for this year.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 8, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9197826

FlowrLady thanks for telling me what is coming.
The last front that came through a couple of weeks ago- brought a dry storm. Didn't know they existed, thunder, lightening, constant over 35 miles winds - and not a drop of rain???

It did split a big branch off of my sickel pear tree though- which was half the tree - since it was a young tree-- it had 5 pears on it --.

If you are going to have a storm that knocks down your trees it ain't right that it has no rain in it. The injustice of it all!

KY woods; Thanks for your concern over my aunt, so very kind of you. Yes, it was fast, so you might warn your cousin the next time to speak. Gee I always felt Florence was really close to the Ohio border. Do you live right on the Ohio River then?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 8, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9197831

@ Rebecca; If you live in North Carolina you have a duty to can, freeze, dry, salt, smoke, pickle and sugar ever thing in sight -- it is tradition you know!
As far as spring and fall - those are long growing seasons and you need to stay home and grow all those cooler vegs.

You may go on vacation in the winter and see all those grandkids only then - taking them your canned goods- like Sallie! But grand kids do grow so fast - just like the gardens. If I had 'em I would not be canning either.
I am only kidding of course.
Love your pictures - I bet you miss it when you do travel.

@Sallie has it right - winter vacations are best for gardeners!

@chicochi3 : Yes, I hear what you are saying on that one-- because we also farm and winter too is a time that animals need feeding - so winter is even ruled out for us!

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 1:31 PM
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9197845

Yes, I live close to the Ohio River. I can see it if I climb to the top of the hill we live on.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 8, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9197911

I bet it is beautiful!
It is such a big river - any view of it is breath taking!
Do you have a picnic area or sitting area on you hill to really relax and enjoy the view?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 8, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9198105

FlowrLady:
Here it comes!!!
Here it Comes!!!
Here it Comes!!!
I will let you know after it is all over just what it blew down (nothing I hope)
but for sure how much rain we get out of it.

KYWOODS : DID YOU GET IT YET!!!!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 8, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9198174

OHHHH Honesty;
Wind Blow gustily for + two hours
Dark clouds lay in the back south east, lay in the north west and build for two + hours
Lightening way up high constantly for two whole + hours
Thunder a constant rumble for two whole + hours

Rain a whopping .05

I have decided to pack - I think I am going on vacation to Washington D.C. to protest IACC on spending money on silly research, and leave here to do it to protest no rain. For goodness sakes!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9198204

All we got was thunder. *whaaaaaaaaa...*
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9198229

A few sprinkles north of here but only clouds around my house. Not as hot though. Temps only got into the 80s with a nice breeze.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9199532

KyWoods n Liquidambar, sorry you didn't get any rain! We got a good rain yesterday. I am so grateful for it! Harvested the entire corn crop this morning, two rows, and got enough to eat on the cob, and a few quarts for the winter. It's the first time I've ever had succesful corn. Last year I put weed killer on the corn, so that was the end of it.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 9, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9199697

Oh brag will ye about your corn and rain!
I have always been able to raise corn; have some in the freezer from last year --- so there.

Alll kidding aside, My corn should be head high, but it is only waist high and tasseling.

Heeeeheeeeheeeee I almost feel like putting weed killer on it --I have to know how that came about that you put weed killer on the corn?

I ended up with .16 through the night.

That is the way of a drought - scattered showers giving some 3/4 of and inch and others near to nothing.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9199750

The weed killer on the corn: I sprayed my garden with that stuff that kills broadleaf weeds, but will not kill your vegetables... but my son forgot to tell me to NOT spray the corn!! So that's how it happened. I was sad, but I was hoping for this year, and it worked! LOL
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 10, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9200005

Flowlady;

I know that is very upsetting at the time it happens, but it is a tragedy that you can get over and learn from.

Gradening is a never ending learning process, isn't it!
If not I would have stopped doing it years ago.
I think a drought year - or a year of failure makes you appreciate your successes more.
Drought years also is a good year to rest because truth is, I was wore out from last year.

I started gardening many years ago - when my husband bought me not a real small rotatiller - not one of those big ones -- and most certainly "NOT" one of those little ones that have a weed eater engine; it was just right. I loved it and used it for 20 years.

It started getting hot during tilling and I would have to stop and wait for it to cool. But it was a gem - always (by some miracle) started with only a couple of tries.

My husband then went to Lowes and came back with this huge big green machine. I have never liked it. Always difficult to start - the pull rope some times jerks back hard and hurts my shoulder.

I have relinquished starting my own rotatiller to my husband and son - but I still do the tilling.

But sometimes those darn weeds like this year since it is a drought - those roots have gone deep and the rotittler may hurt the top but they bounce right back. I spray -- too!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9200446

good luck with what you have. i dont do tilling or plowing myself. i am blessed with two good helpers who are good for that. But after the original plowing, it's all up to me!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9200467

LiquidAmber, do you think that manageable-sized tiller would work on clay?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 10, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9200519

Oh yes, mine is clay.
I will admit though that my husband has a big ol'e tiller and tractor that gets it really lose in the spring but if fine since.

I have started tilling with just a tiller in the grass - I kill all first and after working it for a three times at least it loosens it up.

Why, have you had trouble or are you considering it?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9200678

There is a space I want to turn into a garden that is just too big to hack up with hand tools. I could always rent something, but I want to know if it's something I can operate.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 10, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9200689

I am 5 foot 2
I have always been rather muscular though.
I operated it when I was only 115 pound - 30 years ago. Now I am an old woman of 56 and I still operate one.

*Once it is going and you reach the end of the row and are ready to turn it around , keep up your momento and step fast to turn it. You should "NOT" stop at the end of the row and get into a wrestling match with it..
*There is also a metal piece that is adjustable that drags the ground to hold it back - you will have to adjust it so it does the work and doesn't make you try to hold it back.
*If it bogs down and just wants to sit in one place, it is easy to get it to go again by pulling it to the right and left (rocking it).

Mid size taught me all this - helps me now to do the big one.

At all times it should be doing the work - not you. You should never get into a hurry either - be in the moment, one with this your time and your place, you have no where else to be, one with that butter fly (oh just kidding).

I would not garden with out a tiller. I often wonder how my grandmother did it??.

--------- Really -Now that I think back -- I do believe the bigger one is easier for me to operate - I don't do hardly any holding back - like I did with the mid size one -- and once I got the real hang of turning it - it is easier than the mid sized one too. I just have trouble starting the darn thing.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 5:19 PM

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 5:30 PM
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9200713

Wow, thanks for the detailed help!
RebeccaLynn
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9498579

Liquidambar2, you've almost motivated me to buy a new canner and put up some of this summer's (anticipated) garden produce. I said "almost"! The 2013 vegetable garden is planted now, and the perennial flowers are coming up in the flower beds. The April showers are keeping it all moist and growing. So it's vacation time and before we need to actually WORK in the garden, we can take a trip to Myrtle Beach one week and visit grandchildren in Lexington, KY another week. Oh, how do you like the snake and owl guarding the veggies?

Thumbnail by RebeccaLynn   Thumbnail by RebeccaLynn         

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9498976

RebeccaLynn, that's a beautiful garden, and I like your 'pet' Owl. Maybe I'll get one...
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 27, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9499245

RebeccaLynn;
Great garden.
I live in Mt. Vernon, an hour south of Lexington. Think of me when you pass the two exits.

I like the owl.
The snake freaks me out. So, I guess it does the job.

Rest up on your vacation; cause that garden looks big and will take a lot of canning, drying, freezing for the rest of the summer.
RebeccaLynn
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9502035

FlowrLady and Liquidambar2, I hope you both have wonderful gardens this spring and summer in Illinois and Kentucky respectively. Liquidambar2, I'll think about you when I see the Mt. Vernon exit on our way to Lexington.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 29, 2013
9:27 PM

Post #9502089

You have a safe trip too.
Both there and back!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9504119

RebeccaLynn, I live 30 miles north of --Mt. Vernon IL-- LOL
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

May 1, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9504154

Ohhhh, too funny!
I have been to Illinois just once. It was a wonderful state.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America