Magnus - changing color/ size of bloom

Spring City, TN

A six-year-old bed of coneflower - Echinacea Magnus - is coming up with some of the blooms that look true... and some of them are smaller and white some of them the same size and white... is this normal? Not complaining, love the contrast, just startled when they didn't all bloom the same.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Could they be seedlings that crossed with something else.

Spring City, TN

The only thing there was purple Magnus for 6 years and these are what remain. I keep pretty accurate notes of what goes where -- even when I don't do anytthing for a while, I keep all my notes -- and the only coneflower I had purchased at that time was Magnus.... which is why it's so interesting to me

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Weird! Seems strange for a plant to change like that after 6 years.

Spring City, TN

Well, let me clarify... I planted the Magnus 6 years ago, walked away when life got busy, and this year I'm clearing things out and discovering what survived.... I kept great notes 6 years ago, have a notebook for every year I'm paying attention.... here is the morphing Magnus...

Thumbnail by etnredclay Thumbnail by etnredclay
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Even a pink Echinacea can have white seedlings. It happens all the time. That's how they came up with white Echinaceas. It's definitely a seedling or you planted a white one and forgot. It happens to the best of us. I would just chalk it up as a gift from God. I think it's beautiful.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Yes, It's always interesting to see what kind of flowers you will get, some will surprise you!

Spring City, TN

I love the mixture so much that I'm making a point of buying a few Pow Wow Wild Berry to put in my Pow Wow White bed... Really highlights the colors. THANKS all!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

That's a great idea, It's beautiful even if it was by accident!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some the greatest ideas and discoveries happen by accident. I agree..that is wonderful!!

Mebane, NC(Zone 7b)

Nothing is by accident, but a gift from God! :) I usually don't like white flowers, but now I think I changed my mind. That is soooooo pretty!!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Me too, they also look good with the Rudbeckias.

Spring City, TN

I was pleasantly surprised. And the terraces are up against a TALL DARK hill, the ground above them shaded by really big tall trees, so white just POPS.. and unfortunately my beloved purple fades into the darkness of the background unless you are right up on them.....

Oh, well, I spend time "right up on them" so I can enjoy them. lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.