extra stringy green beans

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

I have grown green beans (bush) many times before, but this time they were nearly inedible. I almost choked my family, who were pulling strings out of their throat last night. I picked, snapped and cooked as usual. Why? Could it be variety? ripeness? water issue? too much heat? I just don't know what went wrong, but I fear that my entire crop is a failure this year. Does anyone know what went wrong?

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Some beans are stringier than others. You can pull off the strings before cooking them. When I was a child, the only beans available were "string beans". Personally, I think string beans have a much better flavor than the modern stringless ones.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

As they get older they also get tougher. The early and continuous warm temperatures we have should make them ripen faster and have a smaller window where they are good.

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

I think it must have been the extremely hot weather. I guess I'll harvest whatever I have now to painstakingly destring, and I'll probably pull the rest. UGH!!!! Oh well, my squash need a new direction to grown anyway. Pulling the beans will give it more room. I guess I'll just use the space for a Fall crop of peas. What a waste!!!!!

Thanks for the reply!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.