Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tomatoes: Belarus Orange

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 12, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9191008

Harvested my first Belarus Orange yesterday. First time I've grown this one.
EXCELLENT flavor. Tennis ball size.
Started seeds March 2nd, transplanted into the garden May 16th.
Harvested 1st one July 2nd.47 days from transplant to harvest, it will probably be a week before anymore ripen.
This one is a keeper.

Paul
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 3, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9191703

Paul, the correct name for Belarus Orange is Orange-1 as introduced by Andrey from Minsk, Belarus many years ago. There's one seed site I know of that changed the name to what you have and you tell me why? I know why. ( smile)

And yes, I've grown it.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Orange-1

You can see from the above link that quite a few folks got it from me. I had SSE listed it as well as sending seeds to different seed sites for trial. And you can also see from the number of seed sites that sell the seeds that it's become quite popular.

When Andrey was first looking around to find places where he could share his seeds he found Amishland and sent Lisa several varieties. I can't remember if she changed the name as she does for so many varieties, but I do know that Andrey found out it was a BIG mistake sending seeds there and never did it again.

Carolyn

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9191738

Thanks Carolyn for the history.

From now on I will refer to it by the correct name.

Paul
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9194317

Great to hear that it's great tasting. I love how it looks, I thought it was named Minsk something or other? Only 4 months from sowing to fruit in hand isn't bad either. I'll have to give it a try next yr.

I DO NOT understand how/why the names are changed. It bothers me how can we preserve seeds if the names are changed at random?

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9194410

Lisa, you thinking of Orange Minsk? If so, not the same.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9194427

Lisa I agree all of the name changes are confusing.
Thank heavens we have Carolyn to keep us straight.

Paul
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9194858

Ray, jeez you read my mind. How can there be so many orange tomatoes named after such a small area?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9194865

Thanks for the link Carolyn. It grows in Tx as well as Alaska, and does well in containers. I'll definately have to try it and Orange Minsk too. Thank you Paul, for the recommendation.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9194966

Lisa, I know of only one variety that has a name that refers to Belarus, and that's Orange Minsk, Minsk being the largest city in Belarus where Andrey lives and he found it at a farmer's market there, thank heavens, b'c it's a great one. He and his family have a summer place outside of the city where they do all their gardening and he has a small greenhouse there as well. His pictures show the tremendous amount of stuff he grows at that summer garden and even more spectacular are the pictures showing all the jars of canned and pickled stuff that his family puts up for the winter.

Belarus Orange does not exist as a variety name. Someone at that seed site decided to change the name to that from Orange-1, the real name, and Orange-1 is a commercial variety that was bred by the Belarusan Institute of Vegetable Gardening.

More and more I'm seeing folks at several seed sites changing the names of varieties to indicate they have something unique, something special, and I hate to see that being done. Their lack of honesty and moral code of life I find to be detestible.

Carolyn
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9197338

I agree with the name thing. It would be my luck to purchase seeds, that are genetically identical, but have different names. I just think it's strange that 2 orange tomatoes come from the same area, and that area isn't really big. Guess I'll have to try them both. ATM my house and garden are being over run by crickets. I didn't know they looked so different.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9198293

Lisa, don't forget that Belarus has that institute of Vegetable breeding and that;'s where orange-1 came from as a commercial variety and is a small orange globe. While Orange Minsk, named by Andrey for fruits he found at a farmer's market in Minsk/ are huge orange beefsteak fruits.

I know there are other orange ones from Belarus as well, but I'm too darn tired tonight to go searching, and even if I did they wouldn't be ones commercially available, just mainly listed by Andrey in the annual SSE Yearbook for SSE members only. But Tania should have some of them and some are offered sometimes at Tville where Andrey is a member/ Andrey has sent me and a few others new varieties every year and I think one I offered last year was orange as well, but I can't remember the variety name right now.

Carolyn
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9198420

I'm a member of SSE too but the 2 mentioned above both got good reviews from Suzy in Bastrop, which isn't too far from here. So I'll start there. According to Tatianas I think Suzy even offered one of them. Paul, you started a great thread! Caroyln, I'm too tired to get off the couch too.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #9198506

That's Suze, not Suzy, and she deleted all her SSE listings for 2012, so I went back to 2011 and she listed neither Orange-1 nor Orange Minsk, maybe before that, I didn't look.

I just checked Tania's page and yes, I was the source to Suze for Orange-1 and probably Orange Minsk as well. Until maybe 2 years ago we exchanged some varieties each year.

I know Suze well and have for many years and for many years there was a great tomato tasting at her home in Bastrop, one of several that Tville members have around the US each year, but it was cancelled for this year. There's another Bastrop person named ( user name) Worth who spends time at home in Bastrop and then most of his time in the oilfields at Prudhoe Bay in Alaska. One heck of a long commute, but he has lots of skills and the pay is great.

So you must have had to deal with all those wildfires near you and Suze and Worth kept us apprised of the situation on a daily basis, this at Tville.

Carolyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America