Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9191082

Reclaiming long abandoned terraced flower beds. First step is adding "soil." Mowed the puny grass down in a 4x8 area, raked out big pieces for the compost pile. Waited a week and sprayed anything green with roundup. The next day I soaked the area. Laid down thick cardboard, rough side down, soaked that. Took my little Toy truck to the landscape supply guys at Cornerstone. One truck-load of mushroom compost shoveled on top of the bed. One truck-load of red clay so-called "topsoil." Another truck-load of mushroom compost. Stirred with a shovel. Stepped back and looked. My 14 year old Malamute is eating horse doo. Aside from that, the bed is TOO TALL. I mean, really, who needs 30" of "soil" for daylilies and coneflowers. LOL. Mixed it up with a shovel, prepared the next 8 feet of terrace which is handily already mowed and sprayed, more water, more cardboard, more water. Spread the soil out. Instead of a 4x8, have a 4x16 bed that is a solid 15 inches deep. It'll settle. That's fine. Will drain like a seive. Even better. This combo will sift in the hands like cornmeal in a couple of years. Happy day. I like dry-loving flowers like daylilies and coneflowers and moss roses. They thrive in this stuff. All this before noon -- where did the energy come from! The long-awaited rains started and I did a happy dance in the rain... until the lightning started and tree limbs started coming down. Then I ran for the house and happy danced on the porch with the old lady Malamute staring at me like I was nuts.

Which I am. Happiness is a new flower bed and dirt under the fingernails!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9191093

Did you read this (entire article) before using Roundup?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup_(herbicide)

etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9191298

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name - quoting from your link.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9191941

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup_(herbicide)

That's very strange.

If you Google Roundup herbicide you will find the link. There are 623 lines in the article, and makes for some insightful reading.

I tried this link and again it is not working. For some reason it is not using the closing bracket as part of the link.

If you add the closing bracket at the end of the URL it should work.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2012 7:55 PM

This message was edited Jul 3, 2012 7:57 PM
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 3, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9192011

I thought you are going to plant veggies! I was kind of disappointed to go through all those steps to have a perfect bed and to plant flowers. I have tons of flowers but my prority are veggies I could eat and share.

Belle
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 4, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9192385

LOL, I have spots I'm leaving for veggies --- among the flowers. Nothing prettier than potato vine... when you know what's underneath. But I dislike tomato, and there is 100 acres of corn within a lean and a grab of my back fence, I've got herbs all over already and will plant more... want the color blocks established and then will look at veggies, too.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 4, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9192664

I am glad!!!

Belle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America