AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9191096

I have orangeglo watermelon plants growing the plant looks usual...My difficulty is this...the female fruits with flowers are never opening..
They sit on the vine until they fall , the flower never does open. Any suggestions or help attempts are more than welcome and most appreciated.

I'm stuck! sterile vines ?..."genetic fumble" There are no beetles. no leafhoppers, only occasional grasshoppers. What is wrong?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9191145

One I forgot; The female with fruit is appearing before instead of after the male flowers.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9191223

Maybe you are not at home when they open? They are only open for a short time each morning. If you have male flowers on other vines, the bees should transfer the pollen.

(My watermelon seeds didn't even sprout)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9191235

May only require an extra dose of patience. If the vines are healthy they will usually take care of the problem. Orangeglo requires most time than the average variety.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9191509

First thing thank you all for responding..
Hi bee how ya doing, I remember talking with you about watermelon plants and seeds.Sorry about the f1 hybrids you were trying. Not to be dissapointed though melon seeds do not keep long and many times I have had a pack of seeds that failed.
I was here. the female blossoms are not opening,I had two this weekend past that I watched all weekend, developed ready to open and not, nothing, they failed to bloom.
If you later decide to try an heirloom ,let me know,or if I come across a good deal on some seeds, I will be more than happy to send ya some.Moon &Stars and Golden are looking like my only chance for success this year.
farmerdill; I have read through bunches of your reviews, thank you for taking an interest..I have a couple like Mountain Sweet and maybe a Russian variety picked as possibles for next season. I hope the patience and practice pays off,like as said before never has this happened to me.I'm glad I am not doing this for a living I'd be in some trouble if I was.Well Kleckley's Sweet failed and than this.Well as is I still have some M&S at the other side of the garden,even if not as many produce they are delicious. Thanks again I will look forward to reading more of your reviews.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9191917

juhur7 - maybe the watermelons are shy and were afraid to open with y'all watching them. (giggle) Farmerdill is usually correct with his plant prognosis. Let's hope those blossoms start opening soon.

I might take you up on the Moon and Stars seed offer for next summer.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9192639

WELL THE WATERMELONS;are growing quickly still with some vines having grown 2 feet in since last I was here.(about 30 hrs)

THE FRUIT; instead of appearing first,then between two male blooms, seems to be larger than this time and at the end of a row of male blooms. Still the female is not as large as should be,only this time at least it is in the right place.It will bloom in a couple of days.

The only pollinators that seem interested are Sulpher butterflies,the bees are all around the mints and not to concerned with melon blooms. So manual propagation in a few days I guess it is. Will see then as patience as suggested seems to be the is of this.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9195033

I finally had to reply the blooms being shy,Seems to me that goes with being young, like was said most grew out of or beyond being that.(Like people Remember when!!)?(LOL) My memory barely goes back that far!!

Just in case any are still going through reading; how about the first and larger leaves yellowing, is this nutrition ,normal plant growth ,I would suggest over fertilization only I set that all to begin with and none of the other vines show any sign of yellowing.
I tend to accept that as normal because that always happens,every season those first big leaves turn yellow in July.With fungicide they are sprayed every Tues or wed and only one yellow older leaf on one of nine m&s vines.
What do ya say? any advice?
Furthering this is that I have never been any good at growing watermelons,They say they are easy, only in my case,..my eye!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9204371

I finally got an Orangeglo to set a melon the m&s also has a melon. cooool!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America