Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: ISO specific flowers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 18, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9191368

I am reclaiming 180 long x 30 feet high of terraces behind my house. All of it is not going to be planted intensely as flower beds, but certainly the lower levels. Each level is 4-6 feet front to back, and steps up 18-24 inches. I have been planting in 8-foot-long blocks of type/colors because small indfividual plants are going to get lost in the scope and size of this project.

Yellows/Oranges -- white triangle daylilies, happy returns daylilies, fooled you daylilies. early morning coreopsis, jethro tull coreopsis, traditional black eyed susan, sonora black eyed susan, large german yellow bearded iris, yellow yarrow

Red/Purples -- Pow Wow Wild Berry coneflowers, Magnus coneflowers, Purpetua (sp) coneflowers, Entrapment daylilies, Rosy Returns daylilies, large german purple & purple & white bearded iris,

Whites -- Pow Wow White coneflowers, Shasta daisies, large german white and purple & white bearded iris,

I'm buying based on what's on sale and what I can get 9-24 of. Everything needs to like dry conditions with terrific drainage once established. And be pretty maintenance free. I have some large junipers and althea/rose of sharon, and butterfly bushes (4 colors) already established here so am planting around them.

Looking for suggestions -- brighter colors show up better, must be super hardy and care free once established, and prefer prolific bloomers... Have considered seeds or annuals but not sure where to start.

Ideas?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9191381

There are some additional cultivars of coreopsis...Cranberry Ice, Limerock ruby, Limerock Dream...etc

http://www.google.com/search?q=coreopsis+cultivars&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=uEn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sCjzT6L_B6230AHq5emMCg&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=1580&bih=757

All of the plants listed here are very drought tolerant.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/15-drought-tolerant-perennials-for-your-garden.htm
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9191445

Ooooooooh, I like the red coreopsis... THANKS for the links. Just the kind of thing I'm looking for.
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9191452

From the article... Asters, Bee Balm (Monarda), Gaillardia, Heliopsis, Hyssop (Agastache), Lavender, Liatris, Russian Sage, Salvia, & Sundrops...

I can see these now. This is going to be so nice!

smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9191701

Aah Moon... the Queen of Links. We bow deeply to you.

Etn, I would really like to see what you've described, it sounds beautiful.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9191767

PSHAWWW...thank ya Miz Smiley...grin

Ent...happy to help...Coreopsis are among my favorites...durable, happy plants and many of the reseed. I do agree with Smiley, would love to see pictures as your project progresses.
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9191781

Here is a snapshot of the middle of the terraces -- on the left you can see I've taken down most of the scrub and volunteers back to the fenceline. On the right is all the work to be done... They are 180 feet left to right. About at the halfway point here.

Thumbnail by etnredclay   Thumbnail by etnredclay
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9191785

I must admit I am envious of your terraces...grin just another thing not available in Prairieville...grin
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9191790

Here is an EARLY before of the left side and progress todate... in the early there was gravel and weeds. In the todate, I've cleared off most of the scrub, weeded, raked, hauled away, dug up the red clay in the beds to about 6 inches, hauled in 10 truck loads of mushroom compost and mixed, and mixed, and mixed, and planted, and mulched... Still a lot to do BEHIND, but I needed to see some pretty progress to keep me motivated.

Thumbnail by etnredclay   Thumbnail by etnredclay

etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9191797

Moonhowl, here is what I did to my Jethru Tull coreopsis (not on the terraces and didn't think to put any on the terraces because I was target locked apparently). This was right before the triple digit heat hit... I know, I know... but they were leggy and spindly and the blooms had fallen off, so I WHACKED 'EM... and gave them a boost of SuperThrive and water and am praying a lot...

Thumbnail by etnredclay
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9191804

So far as I can see, ya did just right by them. They will need a little supplemental water til they are well established, but that will soon be a mass of bright yellow blooms.

You have certainly accomplished a great deal. Good on you. That will be quite lovely and appealing.I do agree, you need to see some pretty to keep battling on...just the teasers that say there is a light and it isn't a train...GRIN
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9191809

And here is the right side, I'm working my way from bottom to top, clearing a path to work. Some of the volunteer pines are already 16 feet tall -- thanks for holding the ground from washing, but you gotta GO!

Thumbnail by etnredclay

etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9191818

Thanks so much for the encouragment. My morning walkabout to see what's blooming is a great start to the day. I try very hard, in that morning walk, NOT to "see" all the things that still need doing but to really take in the things I've already done. Flowers need so little to give back so much.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9191834

That has always been the hardest part for me...way to critical over what hasn't been done. Slowly but surely I am learning to see the beauty in the individual plant/bed and know the rest will get there...one day. From this point, each morning walk will only get better. One suggestion...do not forget to leave a little room for a few of the trailing annuals like alyssum, calibrachoa, and evolvolus...the evolvolus spreads well and is a lovely blue, calibrachoas come in a variety of colors and alyssum is so dainty. Also, consider the use of some grasses, especially toward the top. They come in some lovely colors (pink Muhly grass, Ribbon grass) and a variety of heights...8 inches to 8 feet...

http://www.greatgardenplants.com/?pageId=394&sourceCode=GoogleC3Ad2&gclid=CNSM2KXX_rACFY2b7Qodlkf5ew

http://www.naturehills.com/perennials/ornamental-grass?limit=24
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 3, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9191953

I bought 3 red pampas -- because, well, because -- that I had to have but didn't know what I was going to do with them... of course they need to be up towards the top... LOL.

And yes, on the annuals, especially blues, and grasses, too. I just want to get the blocks of color going and make sure I'm not putting yellow next to yellow next to yellow if I can help it. Reds/purples, yellows/oranges, whites... annuals for blues.

And bulbs too when I get things established. Nothing cheerier after a dismal winter than courageous bulbs peeking up from the barren ground...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9192025

Have you thought about seeding in cosmos? Just gotta throw the seed on the ground water and stand back... I have a large patch that has gotten bigger over the past few years. Then last fall I planted in perenn, but did let some of the cosmos do their thing...I have bags of seed. Kathy

My garden early spring this year, 40 ft X 100 ft., west side
east side,

yup filling the flower beds can be a challenge, I grew most of my plants from seed in winter, (my 2 stands, homemade). If you allow some of that coreopsis go to seed, sprinkle arouns and watch the babies grow to make a patch..., I'm doing that with mine and also Scabiosa, Centaurea, Centranthus, Rudbeckia, Salvias, Penstemons, Hollyhocks, Achilea (the Colorado series reseeds, (yarrow)), and blue flax.

pix 3 Hesperis matronalis, started out with 50-75 plants and let it reseed...now 3 years later...and it smells sooooooogood.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 4, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9192379

Well, then cosmos will be my new best friend.

I've been researching winter sowing and I can't get passed the idea that if I put the seeds where I want the adult plant to grow, that they should sprout THERE without the need for transplanting, etc. I mean, if they will sprout in a milk jug, they should sprout 10 feet away in the garden... maybe not as quickly, or maybe I could put the milk jug over the seeded spot for the mini greenhouse affect... or maybe just put the seeds out, label them and WATCH...

Love the blue/purple/lavender in your one picture -- gorgeous!
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9192405

Lookin' good everyone! Here's a color wheel, to help remember complimentary and opposites.

Thumbnail by smileymom343

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9192455

Good thought Smiley...that way the colors flow rather than jolt.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America