-
AuthorContent
rntx22
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9191671

Hi there, this was a low growing/hanging branch on one of my larger plumeria's ("lemon drop") that had started to split away from the main trunk about a week ago - I think because it had become so large and too heavy to be supported at the angle it was growing. I wrapped some padded wire around the split to keep it stuck to the trunk & also staked it to support some of the weight. The foliage remained healthy, it continued to bloom, and I could see any signs that the limb was in any way starting to deteriorate.

Unfortunately after the heavy storms we received over the weekend the split worsened, & today it was just barely attached & hanging by a thin piece of wood. The leaves had started to wilt a little and a few of the older leaves were beginning to yellow. I went ahead and cut the piece that was keeping it attached and am wondering what to do with the broken branch. Should I stick it in a pot of dirt as is and hope it grows? Do I need to remove the foliage first? Should I cut it into smaller pieces to root? Help!

By the way, I am in the Houston area.

Heidi

Thumbnail by rntx22   Thumbnail by rntx22
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sonorarat
Yuma, AZ
(Zone 10a)

July 4, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9193269

I would cut the leaves off and plant that branch in some well drained soil,E.T.'s lemon drop roots easily.
rntx22
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9194361

will try that, thanks
Jag1224
Baton Rouge, LA

July 5, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9194478

I would suggest that you cut off all the leaves and leave it on a shelf or similar place for a couple of weeks to let the bottom callous before potting it in soil. That will improve the chances of it not rotting.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9204725

Agreed with Jag1224, plumeria will root easily after the cut is healed. This one I rescued from a local nursery that couldn't root it properly. Viola! I did and have been enjoying the beauty for years. It's currently blooming.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

loveplants2VB
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9215155

I agree... Cut off all of those leaves and cut the stem at the bottom so it is flat across and while it is still running white sap. dip in roottone and let it callas. Some of us and in the PSA have been talking about this method and i have received good results by doing this. I rec some cuttings from a Very respectable gentleman in Huntington Beach, and his cutting were sealed this way. I will try this next time i have more cuttings. Just thought i would share my 2 cents worth.

Take care,

Laura

Here are some pic that are blooming now..

California SUnset

Thumbnail by loveplants2VB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America