Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Shed: Ideas for 2 mini sheds

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 5, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 4, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9192631

I have 2 main gardening areas -- one UPhill and one DOWNhill of the house -- and I was thinking about building 2 mini sheds to store tools so I wouldn't have to spend half the day carrying or looking for the tool I needed. Currently all tools are in the basement. I was picturing 3x3x6, slant roofed, and open fronted -- the size of an old fashioned outhouse without a door. . My property is completely fenced, so I'm not worried about theft. But my property is also completely HILLY, so up and down hills for extra trips is not fun.

Each shed would have the basics -- shovel, hoe, bucket, hose, hose attachments, pruning sheers, loppers, wheelbarrow hung on the side of the shed, and a chair next to the shed... I already have two sets of STUFF, accumulated over the years, but I keep carrying and misplacing and hunting for what I need...

Any thoughts?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 4, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9192647

We also have hilly terrain.
What I do is keep the tools in our big shed. I have a small 2 wheeled trailer for behind my riding lawn mower.
Throw what I need in the trailer and away I go. Our garden is over mile long, so saves lots of steps.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 4, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9192731

I'm still dreaming of a riding mower and trailer. I'm pushing off 2 acres of grass... been great for staying in shape, but sucks when it's rainy and the grass GROWS.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9304216

Your idea for 2 outhouse/tool sheds I think is great. I have even seen them with the 1/2 moon on the front door but used for tools.
Would save you a lot of steps. When I first started landscaping my front yard BUT my garden shed is in my back yard so I bought me a cart on wheels that holds all tools upright thru holes with flat bottom on it. Also has canvas bag to hold smaller tools and plant ties etc. It didn't wheel very easy when I bought it so my husb. put bigger wheels on it and now I couldn't do without it and just drag it around wherever I need it but it stays out in front yard where I do all my flower and shrub gardening. I forgot your land was hilly so you would have to have 2 of these carts but I think the 2 mini shed idea is more practical.
Happy gardening.
Bonnie

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 13, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9332589

I don't know how much money you want to spend but I would check out Monard and Home Deport for small sheds. I just purchased a 8 x 10 ft Tuff Shed from Home Deport to use as a garden shed. You can check them out online at www.homedepot.com/tuffshed. Monard have smaller sheds some that are made of hard plastic. Most home improvement centers sell sheds.

Below is the one I bought, all painted to match my house.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

etnredclay
Spring City, TN

November 18, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9336423

Love your new shed, bet you'll have fun with it.

My project is closer to 18" by 36" and 6' tall, roofed but with the front open. Just need to store some hand tools out of the weather and not carry them up hill, carry them downhill, go back downhill for something I forgot, go back uphill for something I forgot...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America