Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vermicomposting: Did I ruin my harvested vermicompost?

Communities > Forums > Vermicomposting
bookmark
Forum: VermicompostingReplies: 2, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rina123
Efrat
Israel

July 4, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9192959

I harvested some beautiful, earthy smelling vermicompost for the first time. I didn't know better and put it all in a closed container. After two days, it smells like a dead fish. The worms have risen to the top and there were a bunch of eggs - I hope worm eggs. Is it ruined? It is quite wet, so I left it out to dry a bit. I'm afraid that it might get too dry like that. The weather here is quite dry.
My next plan is to store it in a plastic laundry hamper.
I could use help!
Thanks, Rina
artgirl
Phoenix, AZ

July 8, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9198154

How are your worm castings after a couple of days of leaving your container open? Does it still smell fishy? I am new to vermiculture so I have only read things, some here on this site. I am reading that some people are keeping worm castings for a couple of months in a covered bucket or in baggies. Also, that it is good to keep it a little moist to keep the microbes happy. What a mystery that yours changed from earthy smelling to fishy. Why? That's a good question.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9206904

Probably it was too wet and it killed all life and went to anerobic (no oxygen) decay - which is the bad smell.

Pour it all out into a bigger container (a Home Depot plastic 5 gal bucket costs about $3. ) then stir the mess thoroughly and leave it outside in the shade for stink protection - stir as often as you can stand (I'd guess maybe 2 days) just until the smell goes away. In Israel, you may need to sprinkle some (not a lot) of water every day - you want moist but not wet or soggy.. Then add a hand-full of your good worm soil which will contain some more eggs. Mix and use in your garden or pots.

Hey you desert dwellers - maybe you need a special thread for desert vermiculture/vermicomposting?

Paul

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Vermicomposting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vermicomposting anyone? margaran 74 Jan 31, 2008 9:09 PM
vermicomposting margaran 214 May 2, 2008 1:26 PM
Vermicomposting-2 margaran 92 Feb 15, 2008 2:36 AM
Welcome to the new Vermicomposting forum! Terry 16 Jul 21, 2013 6:32 PM
wrigglers? kooger 19 Jul 16, 2008 2:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America