Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-South Gardening: July is here and HOT- HOT - HOT

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 215, Views: 1,412
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9193439

I noticed we don't have a new thread for July so thought I would start us one.

Hope everyone has had a wonderful 4th of July!

I've been on a roll today! Worked in my garden for a couple of hours this morning and then came home and started cooking and have been at it all day!! I made 17 pints of salsa (that was a lot of chopping), then decided to try my hand a sauerkraut and made 3 quarts of it, then made a bunch of zucchini bread, now have zucchini muffins in the oven. I plan to freeze the bread and muffins. Also made some marinated zucchini and a broccoli salad! Now I'm ready to clean the kitchen and be done with cooking for a while!

Tomorrow I need to fertilize my brugs and do some other stuff in the yard!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9193443

I was going to put this as the picture on the start of the thread but didn't see a way to add a picture. So I'll just put it here.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 4, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9193453

Beautiful butterfly, boy that bread and muffins sounds so good, I need a snack!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9193455

Very pretty. Thanks for starting a new thread.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9193601

Charlotte, I would love to have your salsa recipe. I know i will have lots of tomatoes when we get back. How do you keep it from being too watery? When I roasted some tomatoes last week I drained off a lot of juice. I used to have a good recipe but think I have lost it somewhere over the years.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9193789

Elaine I'll be glad to give you mine but I just went on the internet and kept looking at salsa recipes until I found one that had ingredients that I liked. Some of them called for a lot of vinegar which I didn't want. You need some vinegar or lemon juice due to the canning process but not as much as a lot of them I like cilantro so I added a lot of it. The recipe I used called for tomato paste and tomato paste. The first batch I made I made it with both. I really liked the taste of the salsa but thought I would like it better with not so much of the tomato paste in it. So for the second batch I just used one 16 oz can of tomato sauce for the whole batch. The tomato paste does help keep it from being so runny. But runny doesn't bother me. I think you just have to find a combination of ingredients to suite your taste. Doesn't seem to be any certain way to make it.

Just remembered one recipe I found called for something like Sure Jell but a different name. I'm sure the purpose of it was to make it thicker.
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 5, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9193855

Just marking the thread! Hope everyone had a fun and safe 4th of July... we made some good progress at Alex's so it was good day!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9194150

Thanks, Charlotte. I just remember canning some a few years back with my home-grown tomatoes and not using canned tomato sauce or paste. I sure haven't heard of using Sure Jell or the other stuff (I can't remember the name either but it's in a bottle I think) but that would make it thicker. I love lots of fresh cilantro. Can't remember if we just cooked it down until most of the juice was gone. Anyway, I'll just experiment when I get back. Seems like we used garlic and peppers and maybe some lime or lemon juice too. I don't remember any vinegar either but if I'm going to can some I guess a teaspoon wouldn't hurt.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9194185

Elaine the recipe I used had 1/3 cup vinegar to 8 cups tomatoes, 2 and 1/2 cups onion, 6 cloves of garlic, 1 and 1/2 cups bell pepper, 1 cup jalapeno (I didn't use that much). When you can salsa you have to have a certain ratio of either lemon juice or vinegar because of the acid in the tomatoes (something to do with the canning process). With the 1/3 cup I couldn't taste it in the salsa. But at lot of recipes called for 1 and 1/2 cups of vinegar. That just seemed way too much to me! The last batch I made I doubled my recipe and did a little more experimenting.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9194480

Well, it's obvious i'm not taking my vitamins, I have no energy, and i got extremely tired after reading what all Charlotte did today. ;) gosh, I'd be wore slap out if I did all that in one day. wish I were there to sample it all ;)

Sounds like y ou had a very full day today Charlotte. We let some of our front garden go because of the heat, but I'll have a good supply of tomatoes in about a month, the back garden has about 22 plant s in it and they are doing fabulous, wasn't affected by what ever affected the front garden. i'm so tired i don't even care to go out and water it any more. We both agreed that this is our last year to have a garden so large, we're even going to move our garden spot next year and just big enough for us to have fresh stuff.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9194498

I think that's a good idea Kathy Ann to down size your garden! That's a big garden you've been trying to keep up with! With your full time job and all the stuff your trying to keep up with no wonder you are tired!!

This heat is just unbearable! I keep my front watered very good but everything in my beds in front in that blazing hot sun just doesn't look good! Needs some rain water!! Still haven't gotten my brugs fed. Going for a walk now and then will do that when I get back.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 5, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9194693

Charlotte, I know you are trying to get ready for your trip, but it is so hot, even after dark here, please be careful

Kathy Ann, I agree, it is getting so hard to fight the weather to grow anything these days, I have some late tomatoes that look pretty good, but don't know if they will make anything or not. The older plants are just burning up even with me watering them.

Someone from our church told me she thought the chlorine in the water hurt the plants, more than helped them, I guess that could be true, I am trying to keep things alive, but there is no way to water them enough as dry as it is.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9194756

I don't leave my house until 7. That's when there is no more sun! So while it's still hot not having sun shining on you makes a big difference.

Sandra I think the lady at your church is probably right. I have to put something in the water to take the chlorine out when I add any water to my koi pond. Otherwise the chlorine will kill them! So it makes sense that it's not good for our plants either. I do know that you can water all day long and you just don't get the same results as rain water.

I went by my garden on my way to walk and the tips of some of my bush bean leaves are just burnt to a crisp!!! The leaves were not wilted from lack of water - just a few leaves here and there that were just totally fried from the sun. I have several little melons on my cantaloupe and watermelon vines. Some of them have gotten under my okra and are shaded by the okra and I think that may be helping them. Sure hope they will reach maturity! I'm trying to use as little pesticides as possible but I had a bunch of ants that had gotten on my okra and had to put something out for that the other day.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9194987

I haven't fed my brugs in a couple months, poor babies, I got a golden lady that has y'd off about 7 times and no blooms yet, I guess it's too hot, I sure would like to see blooms on that one. Danny hired someone to come in and finish the sheet rock he put up and then to blow it to ttexture it. I think their gonna come back and paint it , but i'm not sure about that. we are very close to being ready to put in the kitchen cabinets, as soon as they get painted. i'll be glad to have my kitchen back. we did manage to buy all new appliances also, everything is What I want except the stove. it's not the one I wanted but that was too expensive. lol I did get the frig I wanted. and danny bought a very nice dishwasher for the kitchen. i'm very excited to get finished.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9195026

Kathy Ann you are just going to love your new kitchen!!! Can't wait to see it! The sheetrock part is what I really hate about remodeling! When we added the sunroom years ago I remember having sheetrock dust on everything for the longest and they hung big sheets of plastic up to supposedly keep it out of the other rooms. But that stuff just seeps through anyway!!!

I had a lot of blooms on my brugs right after I brought them out this spring. I've gotten a few blooms this summer but not many. Way too hot. They wilt so bad doing the day from the heat. My back yard is mostly shade but a few are in spots that get a little sun during the middle of the day. They wilt every day but perk back up when it cools down. Can't be good for them! They just don't look that good this year.
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 6, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9195298

We got a good soaking, but brief rain yesterday! It was nice, but SOOOO humid afterward! I was heading to my sister's to water when the rain started, but I drove on down there to make sure she was getting a good rain too and check on Sadie (her bassett hound) . Unfortunately it appears that something has happened to her other dog! My BIL will be devastated when he gets home! I can't find her anywhere and neither can the neighbor who home she visits on a regular basis!! Not good... :( I saw her last Wednesday and Friday but she didn't act like herself - I thought it was the 106 degree temps while I was there. I sure didn't feel like being too enthusiastic in the heat, and just assumed she didn't either. She came thru the woods about 10 minutes after I had been there both times so i assumed she heard me start up the Mule. Sunday she didn't show - but I just assumed she decided it wasn't worth the effort to walk from the neighbor's house because I hadn't been feeding them any scrapes or anything and they have an automatic feeder for the dogfood. Then when she didn't come Tuesday, I went to the neighbor's house and asked if she was there...and he hasn't seen her in several days either! He has looked for her with his mule all thru the woods and on the deer lease - we can't find her. I just HATE this has happened while my sister and BIL are gone!! At least I didn't have to water yesterday at my house or hers - so I had a lot of 'extra' time yesterday! :) Managed to get the rest of my DLs potted up and put them up on my porch so they will only get the early morning sun and then be shaded the rest of the day. Hopefully that will tide them over until fall when I can decide where i want them.

KA - so glad to hear they are almost finished with your kitchen! I know you are ready to have it completely finished!

Charlotte, when do you leave for Utah? Hope you have a great time!
Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 6, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9195684

We got a nice rain this afternoon too, it was wonderful to see rain falling once again, it has been a long time it seems

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9195687

We're getting a really good rain now. I have a feeling it's not going to last for a very long time however. For a while we had a lot of wind with it. I could hardly see the house across the street. It knocked out our dish and haven't gotten it back yet. Not complaining - we really, really need the rain. It reached 106 in LR today. A record for us for this date.

I'm going to Utah the 3rd of August Genna.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012

Post #9195922

jealous!! no rain here, I just got back from walmart it was 102 outside at 8:45

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9195931

It's now 84 in Little Rock. A neighbor said his rain gauge showed we got 1/2 an inch. Not much but sure better than nothing!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9196903

We got a rain today--hooray! It was a real downpour, too. The wind blew and it was thundering and lightening, but alas only for about 20 minutes. Hey--I'm not complaining--so glad we got anything. It has literally been weeks since we have had any rain to speak of. Our yard is brown but maybe today's rain will help to perk it up. The temperature dropped about 20 degrees during the rain and the cooler temps certainly were welcome. I was on the screened in porch earlier today before the rain and it was like being baked in an oven! I didn't stay out there very long---and neither did Laddy! LOL He likes the a/c, too! :D

We have been keeping the flower beds watered, though, and they still look pretty good. We are on a well so we don't have to worry about chlorine in the water. :o) I can hear it thundering again so maybe we will get more rain. Sure hope so!

Charlotte, the zucchini bread and muffins sound good! I made some stewed apples today with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on them--yummy!

Genna: I sure hope your sister's dog turns up but if she is old she may have gone off and curled up somewhere and died. Old dogs will do that when it is their time to go. *sniff*

Laddy gave me a scare yesterday. I have been letting him loose in the front yard when I am out there and he has stayed nearby and always come back when I called him. Well, yesterday he decided to wander away while my back was turned and I couldn't see him anywhere. We live in a rural, mountainous area and it would be really easy for him to get lost. I called and called and after about 10 minutes he came running up from somewhere. He had those stick-tights on him so he must have been out in one of the meadows nearby. What a relief when he came home! I won't let him off the leash when we are outside anymore--just can't trust him to stay nearby. He has a fenced in back yard but he would much prefer to explore the area--there's just way too much area for him to explore around here!

Well, gotta go get ready--we are going to eat with 3 other couples and then going to the home of one of the couples to play pegs and jokers--it's a fun game and we don't play for money. It's something we do almost every Saturday night when we aren't away somewhere. You ladies have a good evening!

P.S. I have a recipe for a great salsa--it came from Izzy's Restaurant in Little Rock. If any of you want it, I will be happy to share it once I remember to bring my recipes from my daughter's house. I'm still in the process of getting all my "stuff" over here from there. :o)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9197170

Glad you all got some rain Marilyn. Hope we get some more the next day or too.

I make apples similar to what you made but I call mine fried apples. I melt some butter and add some brown sugar and sliced apples. I cook them until the apples are somewhat soft but still in slices. It is a really good dish!

A card player I'm not! Richard used to play bridge but that was the one thing he could not talk me into! I've tried to get him to find a group he could play with. We did used to play hearts with another couple and that was fun to do every once in a while.

I think I'm salsa ed out for now!!! I've made 26 pints. Going to freeze tomatoes next and make tomato juice or tomato sauce after that.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 7, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9197203

I bought some tomatoes for canning and freezing today, I did 3 quarts and a pot of soup today, but the rest of them are not ripe enough yet, probably do the rest of them Monday.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9197250

Your really racking up on the tomatoes charlotte!! I'm glad your garden is doing well.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2012

Post #9197262

My tomatoes have been good producers. I have a whole platter of those little sun tomatoes that I need to eat! The plants don't look as good after all this heat but I'm still seeing blooms. I have about smaller plants here at the house. Most of them I'm going to end up taking to the garden and planting there. Some are plants I started from suckers. I just had to try that after you all mentioned it! My problem is squash borer. I keep fighting those. I found a big pile of eggs on a zucchini plant the other day. Got them before they hatched thank goodness.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9197620

Sandra would be proud of me. I just ordered some D/L from mamajack's coop. She had the one's with the puckered edges that I like real cheap.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9197690

I saw those Jeri. The prices were good but I didn't order any. I like the puckered edges too.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 8, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9198200

Jeri, why didn't you just tell me to send you some "puckered edges"?
Tell us what you ordered

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9198376

LOL!! I knew I'd get a rise out of you Sandra. They are so pretty. I must be converting. How long has it been? I ordered the following:

2.50 per fan
Ageless Beauty
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/29554/Daylily-Hemeroc...

Strutter's Ball
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/19845/Daylily-Hemeroc...

3.25 per fan

Bela Lugosi
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/12268/Daylily-Hemeroc...

Cool It
http://www.growsonyou.com/photo/slideshow/172838-daylily-coo...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 9, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9198874

Beautiful, but then all daylilies are to me. I have Bela Lugosi, Cindy gave me that one.
Looks like you got good prices on them, but from me they would have been FREE!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9198927

That is an even better price Sandra!!! LOL!!! I didn't want to be greedy and God only knows where I'm gonna put them anyway.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9199033

I will have to freeze tomatoes or do something this week. We got home yesterday and I have a bumper crop of tomatoes. All kinds are coming in. My Cherokee purples are huge!! I'm telling you I have never seen anything like it. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I had one yellow one that was ripe but it was almost over-ripe but there are plenty more that will be getting ripe soon. Better Boys are also ripening and my cherries (Sun Sugar, Sun Gold and Sweet Millions) are also going strong. All the plants look great, but I have been on a routine spraying and fertilizing program that really works apparently. After I started my laundry last night I found my old salsa recipe!! I remembered I had put some of my 'good' recipes in a new box and it was in there! Sometimes I get 'too organized', know what I mean?

One of my new DLs will have to be relocated. I put it near a bird feeder and I think the ground squirrels are tearing it up. It did bloom once but it's looking bad now. Those are some pretty DL's, Jeri. I'm going to have to quit ordering pink ones...they seem to turn out more orange once I get them. I ordered an 'Alabama Sunrise' thinking it looked peachy, and it looks more orangey. Now if I put 'Alabama' in the name of a DL, I sure wouldn't make it orange, lol. Now you'd have to be an Alabama Crimson Tide fan to get that but you'd sure know what I mean.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9199191

LOL!! I understand completely!!! I am forever looking for purple & gold and I'll let you figure out why. I think it's your ph that is changing the color of the bloom. Have your soil tested to be sure.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9199311

Yep, Jeri. I need to do that. One of those things I mean to do every spring for the last 2-3 years is send off some soil samples for testing and I never get around to it. This year I'm going to do it for sure. My neighbor did it and she had huge tomato plants this year and their blueberries about ran them crazy they produced so much.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9199418

I think there was a quick test to tell if soil is acidic. I found the link:

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/gardening/ht/Soil_Test.htm

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9199454

Good to know!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012

Post #9199724

I was thinking that would be a neat experiment for kids to see, to explain the difference between soil types.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 9, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9199790

Faith is coming tomorrow to spend her week with me, we are going to do a project, not sure what yet. Charity and I painted a t shirt, it didn't turn out too well!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9199821

You will have fun. Have you seen those t-shirt transfers that you print with your printer. We aren't real artistic and the girls enjoy doing that. They just pick out some picture of a band or singer or Cinderella. Then we outline the transfer with that poof paint.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9200124

That sounds easy, Jeri. Thanks for the link. I would think my soil in this particular location tends to acidic, but will test to make sure. You never know.

Do any of you folks keep a bird bath with a mister or bubbler? I have one but am thinking about moving it because it keeps the soil continually wet if I don't move it around a lot. I can't seem to keep the amount of water regulated, even to just a slow drip to where the soil isn't just soaking wet below and around it. Any suggestions? I don't want to put it near any bulbs or they will just rot. But I have to keep it close to the hose connection to run the line to the mister.

How old is Faith, Sandra? You could try some tie-dye t-shirts if she's old enough. those are easy. Sounds like fun! My grand-daughters and I had fun with those stepping stones you do with concrete and colored rocks and stones when they were older. We didn't try to do all the patterns in the kits though...too hard. I just let them do a sort of butterfly and their hand prints.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9200147

Elaine I had that problem with my bird bath and put it on a 16"X16" concrete pad and problem solved. I don't have the bubbler though. That could make a difference.

A shame you couldn't have the girls decorate you some day lilly labels for your garden. Maybe print the name on rocks or something. Have fun and organize your garden at the same time. LOL!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 10, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9200200

My grand babies are all growing up, Faith is 11-Charity is 12 !
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9200263

Then they are old enough to do the stepping stones if you want to fool with it. If it's not too hot outside, because it's definitely something you have to work on outside. Tie-dye might be fun though. And yes, the painted rocks would be fun too! I know what you mean about the girls growing up. My 2 oldest grand-girls are also 12 and 11. The oldest is off at a 4-week camp right now and I miss her!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9200340

The painted rocks could be fun. In one of our community garden raised beds the lady used painted rocks as plant makers. One of her kids painted them with the vegetable she planted. So everything she has planted as a painted rock as a marker. Really cute!! They could paint some rocks for your flower beds.

They could also decoupage something. You probably have an old tray or something they could use. They could just cut out pictures from some of your catalogs and glue on. I bet if you go online you could find a recipe for a decoupage glue and you wouldn't even have to buy anything. You could do some paper mache things also.

When the boys were here we went in a store that has a lot of interesting hand made things. They had some note cards that had little figures on them made out of wire and cans. They had used wire to shape a body and then flatten soda cans and cut clothes out of it. Really cute.

Another thing they could make are bottles to hang from a tree. Use any kind of small bottle and wrap some wire around the neck. Make it a long piece of wire and string some colored beads through the wire and then bend the wire into curly q's or some shape.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 10, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9200353

Good ideas, they love to do things with me. I am sure Faith will pick out something to do, remember I am in the boonies, so we will probably have to go to Tupelo to get supplies.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9200372

I guess I'm a kid at heart! I love doing things like that!!! DH's daughter is not good at doing things like that and when Sarah was 4 or 5 she used to bring her over here for me to do some projects with her. She wouldn't even let her use glue at home because it was messy!! We did all the messy stuff! I just put a cheap plastic tablecloth on the floor and put up a card table and covered it with another cheap plastic cloth and away we went! I bought her some cheap plastic beads and showed her how to make jewelry. She made jewelry for everybody!

The boys used to love to go through all my "craft" stuff when they were small. The most engrossed I've seen them was one year when I was into make my own glass beads. I have a torch and the sticks of glass that you melt and wrap around metal rod as you melt. I set it up outside and made them colored beads. I had a video on glass bead making and they sat down in the den and watched that video like it was the best show they had ever seen! LOL I think the twins were in the first grade. I remember Kristi telling me that they had to take something to school for show and tell that was special to them. One of them took their glass beads and told that it was special to them because I had made it for him. They may still have those beads.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9200390

My grand-daughter had a headband she had glued a bunch of colored buttons onto. They were small-ish buttons but it was really cute. The dollar store or Hobby Lobby or Michaels probably has cheap headbands you could get. It was one of the 1" wide ones (at the top), not the narrow ones.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9200417

Whew!! I think I got somewhat caught up!!

So I received a book at work through the mail titled "How to Make Divorce Fun" but it doesn't say who bought it, so I'm going to ask because this book looks really fun! If any of you bought it, thank you, if not, ppttthhh LOL Ok, just joking on that, seriously if not but you think you might know who tell them thank you for me!

Ok, back to work.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9200423

Crissy, it wasn't me, but maybe someone just thought you needed a little 'fun' and laughter break. Hope everything is going ok for you. Stay cool.

Back to work for me too.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9200511

It wasn't me, either, Crissy. Having been through a divorce (many years ago--1980), I didn't find anything about it to be fun! :o( The best way to get through it is to depend on God and to tell yourself that "this, too, shall pass". Eventually, my ex and I were able to put the hurt and anger behind us and actually were on really good terms the last several years before his death. I took him some banana nut bread for Christmas this past year but that was the last time I saw him before he died. He was really thin and frail--a shadow of his former self but a lot of it was because of the lifestyle he chose for himself. He never did change--continued to drink and smoke almost to the very end. It is sad to see someone do that to themselves.
Anyway, Crissy, hang in there! We are all here for you! ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((crissy))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

We are having cooler temps this week--in the high 80's and low 90's rather that 100+. It is a welcome relief! Plus we have had a few good rains over the last few days which has helped considerably. The lawn has even "greened up" somewhat. Before the rain, it was brown as toast!
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 10, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9200591

Hello everyone! Trying to catch up!

We went to Alex's to work on Saturday and didn't get a lot of accomplished except cleaning the ashes out of the base of his fireplace...not sure how long it had been since it was cleaned but it was a LONG time! Then I ended up having a really bad kidney stone attack and had to go to the St Vincent's ER... I was there 4 hours before I got in a room (an ER room) and another hour before anyone came in it !! Finally had a CT scan about 11:30 but by then the stone was almost to the bladder! Left Alex's house about 5:45 and they offered me 10mg of morphine at 10:30. I told him no thanks that i would be out until Sunday evening if I took that, and besides that at that point I wasn't hurting that bad!

Marilyn, I know what you mean about dogs - and I had searched under all their "stuff" - all around my BIL's shop, under his trailers, tractor etc because I assumed she had probably crawled under something to die. One of the neighbor's who is a good friend of theirs also looked all thru the woods and adjoining deer lease on his mule to no avail. Unfortunately, neither of us looked under the HOUSE! My sister and BIL live in a double wide trailer and it has the metal pinning underneath it...but come to find out she had pushed her way under the pinning and died under the house! I couldn't believe it. My sister just called a few minutes ago and they have landed, and are on the road - just going to get part way out of Houston tonight and then stop because they are so jet lagged, so I had to tell them the news. I just feel horrible that it happened while I was in charge, but I don't think there is anything I could have done differently...

Ya'll are so creative! Lots of great ideas for Sandra and her GD. I don't feel like I ever had enough time to be "creative" with my children - well at least not often enough so i hope if i ever have grandkids that I will be able to make up for it!

We got another good rain yesterday evening. I had planned to mow the yard when I got home, but it was raining too heavy for that - but after it stopped I did manage to get my butterfly bush deadheaded which was a major job!! Maybe we can get part of the yard mowed this afternoon. I have to make one more trip to my sister's because they won't be home until tomorrow. I will go check on the dog and feed his aunt's cat and water her inside plants - but if they got the same rain we did, I won't have to water outside!

Hope everyone is getting a little of this rain!! Kyle just came in and said it is raining again!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9200653

It wasn't me either Christine! I wouldn't have any idea how to go about mailing you something at work because while I know you work in the Tower Bldg that's all I know. Don't think anything would get to you with just your name and the Tower Bldg. LOL But glad it's a fun book! However, I'm like Marilyn I didn't find anything real fun about it at the time I was going through one! I guess the fun part was getting it behind me!

Sounds like you had a long day Genna! I think I would have left that job for Alex to do! Jeff and I didn't spend a lot of time doing creative things when he was growing up. But we did spend a lot of time doing things together. We used to go bike riding together a lot. That's why we had such a good time riding bikes together at the beach several years ago. Brought back old memories for both of us. One day just the 2 of us went riding. I always figured whatever needed to be done was still going to be there "unfortunately" when I got around to it.

We have gotten rain off and on the last few days and it is considerably which is wonderful! Think it's supposed to be in the 80's as a high all week.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9200662

Sorry Crissy it was not me. My divorce was so long ago I barely remember that life. But truly, I don't remember anything about it being fun.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9200693

Hey you salsa makers - when you canned your salsa I presume you used a water bath. Did the tomatoes put off a lot of juice, and if so, what did you do? Most of my recipes are for fresh salsa and I have made it and stored it in the refrigerator for up to a month (or so the recipes say), but I can't remember what I did when I canned it before. I just know when you cook down tomatoes there is a lot of juice. The one recipe I found wasn't the one I was thinking of that I cooked before I canned the salsa. It's been so long since I used that recipe I can't remember what I did. I suppose canning them it will all work out. Was going to work on it tonight.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9200711

Yes just a water bath is all you need because of the acid in the tomatoes. When you can you do need to add some vinegar to the recipe. Part of the preserving process. You might want to look the reason up or someone else may know the technical reason. My recipe called for 1/3 cup of vinegar to 8 cups of tomatoes. I also used 1/3 cup sugar so the sugar offset the taste of the vinegar. The batch I made with the tomato paste is thicker than the batch I made without it. I prefer the taste without the tomato paste. You could pour some of the tomato juice off after you chop your tomatoes. Also just cooking it down should do the same thing I would think. I didn't cook mine but for 10 minutes.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9200989

Thanks Charlotte. I've been looking on-line and most of the recipes either call for vinegar or lemon or lime juice. Apparently you either use one or the other but not both. So I'm using lime juice in mine. We'll see how it turns out. I think the ratio is about the same from what I can figure out but not as much sugar for the lime or lemon juice. One set of instructions specifically says to not use juice if you are using vinegar.
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 11, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9201359

Wow - I cant help with the salsa...I have never made it. I have a recipe my friend gave me for her fresh salsa, but I don't think it would work for canning...

Charlotte : Leigh, Alex and I all three worked on cleaning out that ash! It was super humid Saturday while we were working on it so neither of us made it long at a time. We were putting the ash into a 5 gal bucket and so there was a lot of carrying and dumping too... we just all took turns! Didn't get finished, but we needed a small shovel - like a hand shovel for a fireplace to reach part of it and we didn't have one. I had intentions of going to Home Depot after we ate supper to see if they had anything like that, but instead I ended up going to the ER :(

It looks like it is going to pour here. We got a small rain again yesterday afternoon, but it didn't really amount to much. Looks like it might rain all day - but so far not a drop. My plants are sure enjoying this - but my bahaha stalks sure need to be cut!

Crissy, that was probably someone from your office since they knew how to get it to you there... glad they were thinking of you and were able to send you something to brighten your day. I have never been divorced, but both my brother's got divorced in the same year and it was devastating to our family ...I don't remember anything being funny about it either, but thankful that someone can put a spin on it that will at least allow you to laugh a little!!

The kids and I did a lot together too... but I wish I had been more creative with the time we spent. Oh well, can't go back, and I think they had a good childhood - not perfect, but good...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9201400

No Genna you can't go back - and none of us are perfect!!! We just have to do the best when can do! We just have to live in the day and look to the future! One of the things I enjoy about going on vacation with Jeff, Kristi and kids. We make lots of memories together. So thankful I have a DIL that always wants to include me. She is the one that always invites me.
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 11, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9201418

Yep, I love making special memories on trips, etc. If I could afford it we would travel to a special place each year - somewhere new each time. You are blessed to have such a great DIL for sure! Are her parents still living? Just wondered if they ever included them... I have a friend who decided when her grandchildren were born that they would not buy toys etc for bday gifts. Her and her husband are fairly well off so each year they take the grandchildren on a bday trip someplace - disneyworld, yellow stone, DC, etc. Ever since she told me about that, I have thought it was a great idea. Not sure I will be able to afford that, but I still thought it was a cool idea!

Your grandkids will cherish their memories of you on their trips with them, plus the time they get to spend hanging out with you when they are here! I think it is awesome they come visit you every summer!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9201439

Jim & I always did things with the kids while growing up to make memories for them when we were gone. I'm very thankful that we did b/c after loosing Joann, we are the ones left with only the memories. They are priceless now!!!! Never fail to take the time with your children if you are still raising them. You just never know!!! For the past 21 years we have been making memories with the grands and they are quite priceless also.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9201493

Jeri we did the same thing when my son was growing up. We took a family vacation somewhere every summer. Just one of those things we put in our budget every year. Took him all over the US. Also took a lot of other mini trips (long weekends) to 6 flags, peti jean, beach, etc. We still talk about "remember when we were...". Now he does the same thing with his kids. They take a family vacation somewhere every summer and always include me if I want to go. They also spend one on one time with the kids doing things that are specific to what the kid wants to do. Jake loves going to art galleries. My son also loves going to art galleries (probably where Jake has his love of it). So a lot of days just the 2 of them will spend an entire day going to art galleries. They do something with the kids as a family almost every weekend. Now that the kids are getting older that is getting harder to do.

Genna both of Kristi's parents are dead. Her mom died just one week after Jake (oldest child) was born. Her dad 5 or 6 years ago. Her father went on a couple of trips when the kids were small. I was invited to go also but I would choose not to go they could have more time together. His health was bad for a long time and was limited as to what he could do. He would travel out to see them (he lived in Indiana) until just about a year before he died.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 11, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9202174

All this memory talk has reminded me of a very special one I have, you all know we were very poor growing up, Mamma used to take walks in the woods with us on Sunday afternoon, I remember one day in particular that she found a huckleberry bush and let us eat them.

Sorry about the puppy, we're you able to get it out from under the house ? I hope so. We went to see my sister today and Cayla and Eli went she had not gotten to see him until today. She is feeling better now, but when the temps go over 90, she pretty much stays inside all she can, it is hard for her to breathe in the high temps.

Crissy, while a divorce is not any fun, one thing to remember is it is better to laugh than cry ! Might as well laugh, it is too far now to change things. I agree it was probably someone from your work sent the book. Has he moved out now? I hope you are able to keep your home.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9202209

Oh Sandra, you are the only person I have ever heard of that had even seen a huckleberry bush. We had one in the bushes where I waited for the school bus and I would eat them while waiting for the bus. That was a memory from over 52 years. My graduating class is having our 40th class reunion in a month. WOW!!! Time flies!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9202218

Sandra that just proves that you don't have to spend lots of money in order to make special memories with your kids or grandkids. It's the fact that you take time to spend doing things with them as a family. When I look back on my childhood it's my daddy that always comes to mind with those special memories. Daddy worked all the time (that was his hobby) but he still found time to do things with us. I don't have a lot of memories of things my mother did with us because she was too busy making sure the house was spotless, all our clothes were ironed to perfection and a big meal on the table. While I don't have lot's of memories of special things we did, I vowed long time ago that I would always find time to do things with my kids and family. In the big scheme of things a clean house is not the most important thing in life!!! But with my dad I remember him bringing me candy home from work every single day when we lived in the country, climbing the fire tower, swinging from vines into a muddy creek/swamp??, going to the boat races, laying on the sofa with my head in his lap listening to the radio with him, driving around and looking at the oilwells (we actually had oilwells all over the area back then). Mother seldom thought she had time to do any of that with us. None of it cost anything. It was just having that special one on one time.

Glad to hear Pat is doing better! I know she was excited to see Eli!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9202220

Jeri we did a cross post - time does fly when your having fun!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 11, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9202237

Yes, just being together is enough sometimes ! We had a huckleberry bush on our bank before the road was paved, it never got big enough to have any berries, I think they probably do better with some shade and it was right in the sun.

I did get treats sometimes when Mamma came home from work, I would always wait for her and go out to meet her when her ride dropped her off, sometimes she had brought me something, other times not, but I always loved going to meet her as she came to the house from the road !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9202295

Our Huckleberry bush was in a grove of large azaleas by the road under a cedar tree so it had lots of shade. I agree some of our favorite memories was the family at the river. Just boat riding and lazing in the sun. All things we shouldn't do now!!!

I'm glad that Pat is feeling better!!! What did she think of Eli?? I bet it brought back memories of holding her son!! That sweet baby smell(the good ones) are totally unforgettable and come to think of it the other baby smells(the bad ones) are too!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 12, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9202853

They sure are-unforgettable !! She was telling us that he still was not as big as Tommy was when he was born, he was almost 9 pounds, she said who could believe anyone could have this much baby inside of them! She agreed with me that he favors Cayla !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9203729

I'm really glad that Pat is doing better!! I know she enjoyed your visit and I wish you mom could have met Eli.
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 13, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9203745

Sandra, my Daddy used to own his own logging equipment, so I spent some time in the log woods with him. I remember picking huckleberries and eating them. I was telling my kids about that not too long ago and said I wasn't sure I would know if it was a huckleberry or not if I saw them now...been probably 40+ years ago. I remember picking them more than one summer though...but we only ate them there - never tried making jelly or anything with them I guess because they were so small. I was reminded of it when Jessi and I were picking blueberries, but the blueberries were a LOT larger if I remember correctly! But I thought their appearance was similar...is my memory correct?

I have lots of great memories of both of my parents, but I was always a Daddy's girl. One of my best memories is walking between the barn and the house holding my Daddy's hand! His hand was so big and strong... I can remember thinking he could do ANYTHING - and I felt so safe!! But my father and I spent12 years raising and showing livestock together so we had lots of great memories and lots of fun together. A lot of people couldn't relate to having their Dad as one of their very best friends too! Most of my memories of my Mom involve some wonderful something she was cooking up - homemade fried apple pies, chocolate oatmeal cookies, cakes or pies, or even getting off the bus to the smell of fresh sausage cooking when she was canning sausage! No wonder I have such an obsession with food!!! Then my Momma also taught me and my best friend how to sew for a 4-H sewing competition when we were 9 years old. My Momma worked as a supervisor in a garment factory and she taught a lot of people how to sew. We started out "sewing" with a needle (no thread) on paper that had figure 8s and Ss on them so we could learn to follow the lines! When we got to where we could half way stay on the lines we got to start sewing on fabric!! I think that was the only year my friend ever sewed anything for competition, but I competed in that same contest and others until I was 18. Great, great memories!!

It is odd the things I remember - and also some of the things my kids remember most. I guess you never know at the time what will end up being a great memory later!

Glad to hear that Pat is feeling better! I know she enjoyed seeing Eli. You wouldn't know it now but Kyle weighed 9lb 8oz!! I can certainly relate to needing to stay in during the hot weather although thankfully whatever plaqued me last year during this time hasn't came back! Although when I was on the treadmill last night the humidity was about to kill me!! (It is in my garage and isn't air conditioned) but Leigh finally pulled out our larger stand fan and turned it on and life was MUCH better!

Crissy, hope ya'll were able to get that agreement written up and signed and that he is going to be moving out soon so you can get back home!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9203780

My mother never worked outside the home. But we had a CLEAN house. We had hardwood floors and mother put a new coat of Johnson Paste Wax on them by hand every week. Then she buffed it all out by hand. They were beautiful floors!!! When we came inside from playing she was right behind us with a dust mop making sure no dirt or dust was on her floor!

Mother was just not good at sewing. She kept trying because I think she thought she was supposed to be able to do it. I started sewing when I was around 8 or 9. I would make the little neighbor girl creations out of old sheets. When I was in the 7th grade mother finally bought me some real material that I could make something for myself with. It wasn't long before I started making everything I wore. I was very good at it. Loved to create my own design. I would take several patterns and put them together to come up with a different creation. Always wanted to learn how to make my own patterns. I took home ec in high school and when we got to the sewing part the teacher told me to just make whatever I wanted to that I didn't need any help from her. I made everything I wore including tailored suits until started back to school full time and also had a more than full time job at the same time. Even made my own wedding dress and veil. It took me forever to make it. It had thousands of seed pearls outlining the lace. Now I think it's actually cheaper to buy clothes than to try and make something. Also you can't find any quality fabric. If I'm going to make something I'm not going to waste my time on cheap expensive fabric. You wouldn't know I ever sewed now! Can barely get to my machine!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9203787

My grandmother sewed, my mother sewed, I sewed, my daughter is now sewing (for quilting pieces together only), and my grand-daughter is taking sewing lessons at camp! Funny how that works. I don't sew anymore unelss it's to fix something though, but I made almost all my maternity clothes, made throw pillows and shams and a coverlet years ago for us and my daughter's beds, made kids halloween costumes and lots of other things like skirts and dresses when I was younger. When I was little my mother taught me how to sew and I would make funky little doll clothes out of scraps. They were nothing little shift dresses but at least I had extra doll clothes. My mother made a lot of my prom dresses and some of my skirts and other things. My grandmother could look at a little dress in the window and would make something for my daughter and send it to her when she was a toddler. I still have most of the dresses she made for her and my grand-daughter wore most of them. They are beautiful.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 13, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9203818

Lots of talented people here, that is for sure ! It is sad they don't offer Home Ec around here anymore. I loved that class. We were always doing something different and it was a good break from the other classes. They still have FFA and a lot of the girls are in it now, but no FHA.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9204139

My grandmother was so good at sewing, she made dresses for Miss Arkansas and Miss America pageants without patterns! Girls would bring over a dress they liked but maybe the wrong color or wanted the shoulders made differently, etc. She would make it in no time. She made all my prom dresses. My senior prom dress, she fashioned as a wedding dress and sewed 1200 pearls on the bodice!...just in case she was not around when I got married. She did die before I married and by then the dress had changed colors even though I had it treated and boxed. Could have something to do with the fact that I did not get married for 15 years after that! My dad could sew almost as well as her! No pattern, just an idea and he would make it. He was going to make my wedding dress, but I was too far away to come for all the fittings, etc. Me, I cannot sew two pieces of cloth together correctly. So instead of taking home ec, I took shop/mechanics! (Well, okay, mostly I took shop so I could be with all the boys!) I could fix a car almost as well as the guys ;o) for sure could change oil as quickly. I could also use a saw, weld, knew which tool was which, etc. But alas, I went to college and had to make room in my brain for nursing stuff and have almost totally forgotten how to do anything to a car, weld, etc :o( The only talent I have now...being a duck mother! LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9204232

I didn't know that about you Kim!!! You just don't seem the mechanic type! Really neat!!

Your grandmother was a fantastic seamstress!! Never heard you tell that story either!

My dad could also sew but not like yours. Mother would get frustrated trying to make something and dad would say "give me that pattern". Then he would sit down at the machine and finish it for her! He did all his own pants alterations right up until he died.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9204410

Well, Kim, how cool is that! That is an awesome story! Your grandmother must have been quite in demand! Well, I'll bet that wedding dress would be quite an heirloom. Do you still have it? Charlotte, that's funny about your dad too! My dad never got within 6 feet of a sewing machine; wouldn't have known how to turn it on. I never took home ec either. Thought it would be boring since I already knew how to sew and cook. All I wanted to do was take more PE and science classes anyway. I know the girls had fun in home ec because there was a wonderful teacher at our high school. Nothing against her, just not my interest.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9204424

My daddy's mother had to sew for a living after my grandfather died when my daddy was four. He left my grandmother with 5 kids to feed and clothe. She sewed on a treadle sewing machine and my daddy would never let my mother sew at night because he said he could remember his mother sewing into the wee hours of the night making clothes for other people in order to earn a living. My mother was a good seamstress and used to make a lot of her own clothes and probably my sister's and mine too when I was smaller although I don't remember being aware that my clothes were home-made clothes. When I was 9 or 10, my mother taught me simple sewing stitches and I would make doll clothes for my dolls. When I was in jr. high, I took home-ec for 3 years. I became quite a good seamstress myself and used to make a lot of my own clothes and most of my daughter's clothes when she was little. I also made curtains, etc. When my son got married the first time, I made the dresses for the two flower girls, one of which was my granddaughter, Samantha. She was five at the time and I still have the dress I made for her.
The only sewing I do nowadays is to hem up the pants I buy--they are always too long. They are usually too big in the waist, too, so I take a dart on either side of the center waist in the back. I was out in the garden weeding a few weeks ago and just about lost my capri jeans because they were too big in the waist. Needless to say, I took them up in the waist shortly thereafter! I sure didn't want to be accused of being a plumber or electrician--if you get my drift! LOL

My hibiscus had 11 blooms on it today! It's just too bad the blooms don't last more than one day. :o(

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9204448

The cooler weather and all the water is just what the hibiscus need.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9204452

Think your right Jeri! I now see lots of buds on my tropical hibiscus. Seemed to just happen overnight! One of my cajun hibicus bloomed today and it opened up like it's supposed to!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 13, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9204504

I don't think I will ever be able to do my jewelry again, my wrist just will not co-operate. Faith decided she wanted to do the marbles for a necklace. You put them in the oven for a while then dump them in ice water and they crackle on the inside. Being round we searched through all the jewelry making supplies I had looking for a bead cap big enough to attach to the round marble, did not have one and cut an eye pin and curled and flattened it, pulling the loop straight up, I dropped those things a hundred times it seemed ! I have done a little bit of embroidery lately and think that will probably be my winter hobby this year, that is if I have any energy left after baby sitting.
I used to sew when I was young, my first hubs Mom was an expert seamstress and she started making clothes for me. I went to workin the factories, I have sewed shirt cuffs, collars-gowns at a Vasserette plant,all kinds of parts of furniture boxing cushions being the worst part of that until I had to do leather ottomans-lol- if I never sit at an electric sewing machine again, that will be fine with me!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9204537

Have you tried doing any exercises for your wrist? I have had some problems with my right hand again recently. I may have to end up having surgery to set the tendons or whatever it is free but that's going to be a last resort. I've been getting that popping noise occasionally when I rotate my arm - like when you eat. And my little finger stays stiff feeling at the middle joint and hurts when I bend that joint. But it doesn't really hurt (other than that joint) so I've been trying to ignore it and hope it will get better on it's own.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 14, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9204872

Like you, I am trying to ignore it, but I think arthritis has attacked the wrist! It has started back hurting more than it has in a while and I haven't done anything to injure it that I know of. I do hand exercises with both hands every morning to limber them up and soak them in hot water a lot, washing dishes!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9204893

I've also found Ibuprofen seems to help. Especially for my sciatic problem in my leg and hip. I also think the walking I've been doing has helped. Also the right shoes make a big difference. I had a good pair of New Balance shoes but I could tell they were causing my foot to pronate. I went to a local shoe store that sells nothing but walking, running shoes. I let them put me in the shoe they thought would be best for me. I paid more than I've ever paid for walking shoes but think they are going to be well worth the cost in the long run. They really hold my foot in the right position and feel great!

Making tomato jam today. Have never eaten or even heard of it before! LOL Someone was telling me about making it the other day so decided to give it a try. I have plenty of tomatoes! It's something you can use over cream cheese - things like that.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9205003

Have either of you ever tried acupuncture? I have read a lot about it and heard a lecture a couple of years ago. Really interesting stuff. I don't have anything that needs it now, but know someone who is studying it. I also have a friend who has had knee problems for years, including knee replacement, and has recently had some additional pains. She has been trying acupuncture and had amazing results and no pain!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9205120

Probably not a bad idea Elaine. Right now the walking does seem to be helping my sciatica. Just a twinge now and then. That I can handle. But my DIL rescued a pug a couple of years ago that had multiple problems including a bad hip. She would drag her leg around and had a really had time getting around. They had her treated with acupuncture and you would never know she had a problem now!

I just finished the Tomato Jam. It is delicious stuff! I had to cook it a lot longer than the recipe said because I had my burner turned as low as it would go. That was too low. I turned up up some and it started looking right after a while. There were some comments to the recipe and they said not the peel the tomatoes. The person that made the comment said they had made it both ways and it is much better with the peel left on. It had some texture.

I was going to include the recipe but I can't attach a pdf document and it want let me cut and paste!!!

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 1:30 PM

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 14, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9205126

I think Pat made some of that last year, I never did ask her how it was. I try to stay away from jams and jellies, I do love it, but love it with buttered biscuits too and that is a double whammy on diabetes!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9206530

hey everybody. I've been told bymy chiropractor that I have Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot , the foot that I injured a while back, the pain is pretty intense when i walk without shoes on. I wondered if anybody knows about this and how I can help fix the problem. it's a contstant pain, and worse at night, and i'm pretty nervous about starting to walk again because my foot heel hurts so bad .

any suggestions would be appreciated.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012

Post #9206557

I looked it up KA and what everyone kept saying is it hurts. Here is the link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004438/

I hope this helps some.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9206573

Kathy Ann I bought a pair of Brooks shoes this past week. After buying them I was doing some research on line to see what was said about them and I thought I remembered something about your problem. Here is the link to the reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Womens-Adrenaline-Running-Shoe/product-reviews/B002HMDRCW
I'm going to Utah the first week of August and we're going to be doing a lot of hiking so I wanted to make sure I had a shoe that fit me right because of the sciatica problem I have. A friend that is a runner suggested that I go to Easy Runner (it is a local store and only carries running shoes) and let them fit me. They will ask a lot of questions, watch you walk with and without the shoe they suggest, prefer to see what you've been walking in. I had 3 pair of walking shoes and none seemed quite right! A good pair of New Balance I could tell was causing me to pro-nate. The Adidas felt good everywhere and felt solid when I walked but felt tight in the toes after I walked for a while. After watching me walk and listening to the problems I was having they put me in this pair of Brooks. They feel great on my feet and really give me good support. No pronating! I paid full price for them but feel it was worth it as I have 3 pair that totaled more than I paid for these and will get very little wear out of them. Will be expensive gardening shoes!

I'm not suggesting you buy these. I'm suggesting you go to the shoe store and talk to them about your problem.

You need to scroll down to about the 7th review to see the one I'm talking about.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2012 9:22 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9206674

I was wrong - I have asics not Adidas and 2 pair of new balance.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9206775

WEll, I just bought a pair of Puma the other day cause I packed away my new balance and right now can't find them, i've been off of walking for a month or so, so I'll only try to walk a couple miles tonight and Danny is going to pick me up . I know a good pair of shoes is worth all the effort and $$ i can't seem to break down yet and do that. I'm going to go look at your link . no more flip flops to work for me though.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9206781

Wel,l their not as expensive as i thought they were, I paid 50 for the pumas on sale from 80. http://www.brooksrunning.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BrooksRunning-Site/default/Search-Show?q=Adrenaline%20GTS&src=pgooaw602&mr:adGroup=2801814866&mr:ad=10149709466&mr:keyword=%2Bbrooks%20%2Bgts&mr:placement=&mr:match=b&mr:referralID=NA&mkwid=suGvFLG6e&pcrid=10149709466&pmt=b&pkw=%2Bbrooks%20%2Bgts&gclid=CJrMldiNnrECFSHftgodjheEsA I have shoe after shoe in my closet, asics, avias, keen, sketchers, new balance, none are good walking shoes for me, believe it or not, the most comfortable right now, are my sketchers I can't remember which ones they are, they have the thick heals and rock a little , their for exercizing, working the muscles int he back leg. they dont' work but they are comfortable. cost 97.00 new, My new balance works for about 3 miles of walking. I don't think I need to go the full 4 miles yet. we'll see how the pumas do tonight.

thanks for all the hlep. i've missed coming here. kitchen is almost done!! I think the cabinet guy is coming this week to paint the cabinet, all the appliances are coming this week also. so oooo it might all fall together this week.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9206860

Kathy-Ann, it's not JUST the shoes, it is what is supporting your arch and the rest of your foot as well. I run and have a moderately arch. I started having some heel pain when I ran and my running shoes weren't that old. Went to my running store (Fleet Feet) and they said 'Plantar Fascitis' and told me I needed to get inserts for my shoes. They sell a couple of brands, but the ones I've been using are 'Super Feet'. There are 2-3 different types so you need to talk with them about what you need. Solved the problem before it got worse. Fortunately I caught it before it did get bad and haven't had a problem since but I use the inserts for hiking too and keep them in my old shoes I use in the yard. When I buy new running shoes, I buy new inserts. They are around $30 but worth not having any pain.

That said, there are stretching exercises you should do before you get out of bed in the morning that can help. But do go to a running store and let them fit you in a good pair of shoes for walking and they will also trim and adjust the inserts to fit your shoes.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9206911

I was trying to say the same thing as Elaine, Kathy Ann. My point was I kept buying shoes trying to find one I liked. But if you go to a running shoe store they can fit you in one that is best for your feet. For me it was Brooks, for you it may be some other shoe or the insert. But they know what they are talking about and know their shoes. One of the things Brooks is known for is keeping you from pronating. I knew some of my other shoes were causing me to pronate but didn't know how to fix it. I can now see that one of my NB pairs actually seems to lean inward. I figured it was worth spending $100 to keep from getting an injury and then having to spend a lot more than $100 to fix the injury! I'm walking 4 miles in mine.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9206981

You bet, Charlotte. I wear Asics and have for a long time. My DH wears New Balance. I can take out a pair of Asics and wear them without feeling like I have on a new pair of shoes (except for the fact that I can tell there is a lot of cushioning). For the Plantar Fasciatis though, you need to go a bit further than the standard insert in a shoe. It's amazing what a difference it will make. K-A, just don't let it get bad. Stop over-using your foot until you get some relief!

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9207315

Kathy Ann I have had that and I just suffered thru till it went away but my daughter had it when she was 18 and I took her to the foot doctor. They gave her a shot of some kind but the thing that helps the most is inserts in your shoes and a brace that you wear at night - she got over it in no time (mine lasted YEARS) so I'd suggest you go to a foot doctor and let him help you out:) Also put your shoes on as soon as you get out of bed and don't take them off till you are ready to go back to bed, NEVER walk barefoot on concrete for any length of time all of that stuffs just aggravates it.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9207631

i was told to do the inserts. there aren't any foot stores around here, or good shoe stores to talk to either, so for now. I'm not going to do any walking in the evening time. I am going to see about those inserts Elaine. my foot hurt all day today,and it's getting worse by the day also. and I think the chiropractor aggrivated the matter instead of helping it. ibuprofin helps tremendously, but i'm not really suppose to be taking any of that. what if i just went on line and read about the super feet and the different kinds and got a pair that worked for what I have without talking to someone about it since i'm so far away from Little rock.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9207679

I would take the time to come to Little Rock and talk to someone that knows what they are doing! What you choose on your own could end up causing more harm than helping. That's my 2 cents worth!!!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9207698

your right, for now i'll do the ibuprofin and the frozen water bottle using it as a foot massager, rolling my foot back and forth on it. I don't know when I'll get to little rock, the chiropractor said to go to walmart and get fitted by that machine that does orthotics. their like 75.00 though. and their hard, not soft insoles. can't understand why he said do that, I need something soft under my feet, when i wear tennis shoes and then take them off the hard floor kills my feet. shoes make my feet feel better. just don't understand him sometimes.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9207742

Don't know that I would trust a machine a Wal Mart either!!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9207939

Kathy Ann, that would probably work. Mine are the green ones, but I have also bought the purple ones too. The green ones are made for running and some other sports; there are other colors that are for other purposes (cleated shoes, etc). Go to Zappos.com and I think they have them and the shipping is free. The item information should tell you what specific uses they are for. Or you might be able to go to the Superfeet website and look for the information there and order them directly from the company. Good luck!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9207957

yes, I saw those green ones, when i did a search for plantar fascitis , 4 diff ones came up the green ones came up also but they didn't say anything about helping the plantar like the other three did, but theother three were real thick insoles, and might make my shoes too tight on me if I wear thick insoles. I would need thin ones like those green ones, but no sense getting them if they can't help for sure.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9208402

Kathy-Ann, I almost forgot to say...you take the original insoles out and put the Superfeet in. They aren't too thick but a little thicker than the original insoles. That's really why it's best to go and be fitted for the shoes if you can and get the insoles at the same time. Some of the shoe companies even tell you in their brands you should size-up a half or full size in their particular shoes. I have to do it in my running shoes. You might be buying your 'regular' size when you should be buying a half-size larger. That could be contributing to some of your foot pain if you're doing a lot of walking. There is a shoe website 'runnersworld.com' that has a shoe finder. You can find a running shoe (and sometimes other shoes for walking, etc) by foot width, pronation, supination, cushioning, etc. It's really a good website for a lot of information on injuries and other things too. The different shoes brands/types tell you whether to order up a size or half-size.

Good luck! And let us know your progress and what you come up with!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9209153

Well, I knew I had to have some temporary relief, so this morning before work I went and tried the dr schols inserts that you have to stand on this machine and it tests your feet. I knew I could bring them back if I didnt' like them, I used the ice on my foot last night, and wore those insoles today, and my feet feel really good. Good enough that i'm going walking tonight with the ladies. we'll see how they do. if they keep on keeping on , i'll just keep them. Catrina at work told me to take the soles out of my regular shoes too.

On another note, i came home today and my kitchen cabinets are painted now. I had changed my mind a couple times and added a few things and I know that Danny's friend (the cabinet builder) forgot, to paint my island the garden gate green and not the connected gray, all cabinets are the connected gray, First thing Danny asked is how important was it to me to have that island a darker green, I said not at all. so we didn't mention it to him at all. He's not charging us labor at all for these cabinets, and LORDY!! there's a ton of them. I love my color choice though. Danny doesn't like it. Hopefully they'll start puttin up the cabinets this weekend, Danny's going to run crown mold and trim after thursday . Flooring will be delivered thursday also. it's coming together nicely. I'm a little disapointed about not doing the island a darker color, only cause I had imagined it that way, but it was not my idea in the first place to go darker with the island, it was Danny's. he's ok with it all one color too. you know, I'm just so happy to have this new kitche, I don't care about any imperfections lol.

I have to go get dinner ready if i'm going to go walking tonight. thank you all so much for helping me with my Feet problem.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9209265

You are going to LOVE your new kitchen, Kathy Ann! I can hardly wait to see it! Sure hope things get better with your feet. Ever since I had painful heel syndrome (which could also be related to the plantar's fasciitis) back in the late 1990's, I have had to wear nothing but SAS shoes until this spring when I discovered the Clark's brand of shoes. I can also wear that brand and they make cuter shoes than SAS plus they are cheaper ($50-$60 instead of $100 plus) ( I even wore my SAS sandals when I was walking every day. The sole of the shoe is thick and cushioney--not thin at all. I can't wear shoes with thin soles anymore, except I did wear some thin-soled sandals on my wedding day in May and boy was I glad to get them off my feet once the festivities were over! LOL I also did exercises that stretched the muscles in the heel of my foot. I haven't had any more problems with the painful heel syndrome.

It's HOT here again today--currently 96F at 5 p.m.! My hibiscus is loving this weather, though. It is still putting out several blooms each day but I think it is starting to slow down. We have really enjoyed waking up to those beautiful blooms every day!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9209559

Kathy Ann can't wait to see your new kitchen!!
I did buy a half size larger in my new running shoes than I buy in regular shoes. When I finally learned many years ago that my feet don't have to hurt I've worn nothing but comfortable shoes since then. I've found lots of brands that are actually very comfortable. I've bought lots of Clark casual shoes before. One that a lot of people don't seem to know about is Munro. It is actually made in Arkansas. When I was still wearing business suits every day and dress shoes I worn nothing but Munro. I could walk in them all day and my feet not hurt. They feel like you have running shoes on. They have a very thick rubber sole on all their shoes. Very good arch supports and actual leather uppers. They make all styles of shoes from dress to casual. There is an outlet store in Hot Springs which is where I buy mine from.

My shoe of choice in the summer is Corky or Yellow Box flip flops with the really thick sole. LOL They actually have arch supports! All I wear most of the time in the summer. Hate to see fall come and it get to cold to wear my flip flops. Have all colors!

Finally got my password changed for my email. What a mess. I'm sure most of you got emails from me. I didn't see it but my son told me Yahoo was hacked recently and lots of passwords stolen. He said it was in the news but I didn't see it. I was having a heck of a time trying to change my password as I actually had to go through my AT&T account to change it. My son called me and walked me through it finally. He even had a hard time figuring it out! I have a Yahoo account but it is through AT&T. Luckily he had already figured it out as he has the same set up and had already figured it out in changing his own password. So if you have yahoo you need to change your password.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9209663

I thought I would post a few garden pictures. Chose them because they are my favorite right now. The first is a passi. This is one I have to take in. I have Jennette that is in the ground and she has bloomed and has some fruit forming. The second picture is a pot with a hosta and caladiums and also some caladiums in the ground around it. I also have hydrangeas planted in the same area. They are all short varieties. It's what I see every time I look out my back door. I really enjoy that spot of color. The other is my tree form pee gee hydrangea in the back. I also see this from the sun room. It's really done well this year.

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9209785

Pretty pictures charlotte. I found a few tiny blooms on my pomagranite this morning. couldn't believe it, it's such a small plant. I can't wait for the kitchen to be finished either. someone came in yesterday and looked around, said they would havenever guessed that there use to be a garage in there. he's seen alot of closed in garages that you could tell that there was a garage there at one time, but you cannot tell there was a garage here at one time, it really blends in well with the house. He did a good job on the reconstruction of the house, and i'm so excited to be coming to an end soon.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9209890

Charlotte you always put together some interesting and pretty pots. I'll have to remember to dig some hosta for a pot, since the deer munch on a good number of mine anyway.

Kathy-Ann, I'm glad you have found some foot relief! I've seen those ads on TV for Dr. Scholls. If they work, that is great. If not, it's good to know you can return them and try something else.

As to good flip-flops with support, have you ever heard of Olukai brand? My DD found these a couple of years ago and they are wonderful. First ones I have ever found other than Merrell that really do have some support in the arch. I have a high arch and nothing really has a high enough arch for my daughter and I but these do. I can't really wear them all day but close. They come in both leather and a neoprene type upper that looke like leather. Lots of different colors. I used to buy Merrell a lot but haven't seen any styles I really like. Charlotte, I used to buy some Munro but not lately, but I do buy some Clark but they are a little too wide for me. My foot is also narrow so I have a problem finding narrow enough heels anymore. They always sell for medium or B widths most of the time now.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9209944

I have the same problem with width too Elaine. I wear a narrow and like you said it's hard to find a shoe in a narrow. A lot of shoes just seem to come in B widths or at least that all the shoe store carries. Heel slips on me too. That's one thing I like about Munro. It does come in narrow widths.

I have a small pomegranate bush that I managed to root last year. I need to bump up the pot size. I haven't seen any blooms on it yet however. Think I'm just going to keep it in a pot. Don't really have a spot for it.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 18, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9210027

My GP recommended the thing you stand on for insoles also, he said it is the same thing a foot doctor would do for you.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9210068

Elaine I have a lot of hosts in pots. Some just 10 or 12 inch clay pots - some in large pots with other things mixed in. They do just fine in pots. Some are in spots I can't actually plant something and others are elevated to add some height in places. I've been trying to add perennials in my large pots and only add an annual or two for color in the spring.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9210110

Charlotte: I have received a couple of those emails from you this past week but I deleted them without opening them because I saw your post on Facebook about it. I do have a yahoo mail account so I suppose I need to change the password although nobody has told me that they have received any spam emails in my name.

I love passi's but I have never grown one. I don't have room here to bring anything else inside--I still have to bring my large elephants foot plant and my large corn plant from my DD's house. I had to cut off about 3 feet of the corn plant when we moved from Conway to Cabot in 2006. It has grown that tall again but I don't think I will cut it back this time. I have had both of them for many years. In fact I bought the elephant's foot plant 37 years ago for 38 cents( it was about 3 inches tall) from the Target across from McCain Mall in North Little Rock. :o) The elephant's foot is still growing and Target is still going! LOL

I'm going to look up those shoe brands on the internet. It will be nice to find some other brands and styles to wear!

Kathy Ann, I'm glad you are getting some relief but I think you should do like Charlotte and Elaine are recommending and get yourself fitted for some really good shoes that are just right for your feet.

I was looking at my datura this morning. We thought it was all finished blooming but noticed that it has several more buds on it! Amazing! I will have seed pods and also babies that have sprouted up if anybody wants any.

Here are a couple of photos: my caladiums are doing great in spite of the heat but I am careful to keep them in the shade. I planted them in an old coal bucket that was lying around. I also have a sweet potato vine in another coal bucket.

The hibiscus has really done well this summer. We have new blooms on it every day. One day there were 11 blooms on it when we woke up. They will fade in the afternoon especially when the temps go up into the mid-90's or beyond but new blooms appear every morning. Something had been eating on this particular bloom in the 2nd photo.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 11:10 AM

Thumbnail by marsue   Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9210163

If you have a yahoo account I would suggest changing your password. If will google, you will find the information about the hacking. Over 400,000 passwords were stolen when they hacked into google. It happened last Wed. Like the thing they do when they hack into a credit card base.

Also I have AT&T and Yahoo is the email server they use. There is a little bell in the upper right hand corner when I go to my email. Yahoo sends sometimes sends you messages and they will put a number in the bell indicating the number or numbers of messages you have. I had a 2 in mine but didn't pay any attention to it. Usually just some unimportant thing. This time when I finally decided to open the message it was telling me that someone had logged into my account!! I will read any message they send me from now on!

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 10:44 AM
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 18, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9210615

Hello all. Just trying to catch up!

Kathy Ann, so glad to hear that the kitchen is coming along well and almost complete! He has really made great time with this remodel! Hope your feet are feeling better.

Jessi, Kyle and I are headed to Dallas in the morning. Going to spend a couple of days shopping down there, and also Kyle will get to visit his gf while we are there. Actually we are going to be staying in Garland, but we will be venturing all over to different stores and malls that Jessica has on her list ^_^
We hope to have lunch with her future roommate as well who is from Ft Worth. We met her once briefly back in April at Pre-registration, but she won't be there on move in day so we hope to get some details about her ideas on the room layout etc before hand.

Charlotte and Marilyn, your flowers are lovely. My hibiscus has been blooming up a storm for a couple of months now. It has slowed down considerably but it still has a few blooms on it every day. My butterfly bush, salvias and crepe myrtles are about the only other thing I have blooming currently.
I have the red crinum that Cindy gave me that should be blooming any day now.

Charlotte, is that the pomegranite that you got at that house that you showed us off of Mississippi Street? Leigh tried to root the piece we brought home, but he didn't want to listen to my suggestions and it promptly shriveled up and died. I looked in the local nursery this spring hoping to find one - I thought that one was so pretty in bloom!

Hope everyone has a great evening. I better get busy - lots to do.

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9210641

Yes Genna that's the one. It's about two feet tall now and roots are showing in the bottom of the pot so I need to bump it up to a larger pot. I dipped mine in root hormone and potted in potting soil and put it in the shade and kept it moist. Sat it where the sprinkler system would hit it every time it came on. I actually started with 3 cuttings I believe and but them all in the same pot. At least one out of three made it.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9211185

Genna, hope you and the gang have fun in Dallas. I'm sure Jessi will have fun getting ready for college.

Marilyn, your blooms and caladiums are pretty too! I hope you are enjoying your new home. Y'all look so happy in those photos you posted on FB.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9211907

Thanks, Elaine, re: the flowers and the photos. My DD told a friend of ours the day Al and I got married: "I've never seen my mother so happy." :o) Al told me the other day: "It's great to find love again after the trauma of losing a spouse." :o) (The feeling is mutual.)

Genna: you and the kids have a great time in Dallas!

Al and I went to Springfield, MO today (a 2 hour drive) to look at bedroom furniture and to get some photos framed that we had made on board ship. When we left Springfield to drive home, the car said that the outside temp was 106F! When we got home 2 hours later, the temp had dropped to 83F due to a rain shower! What a relief!
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

July 19, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9212015

Hi all, it appears we've not all burnt up yet!! We're thinking about having another get together at Jim's much like last year if there is enough interest. The date would be September 22nd (Sat.) if it works out. I'll try to watch to see about interest before starting a new thread on it.

Thumbnail by obbirds   Thumbnail by obbirds

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9212155

Sounds good to me Kenny!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9212197

I love the idea, Kenny!
lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9212255

Me too
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

July 22, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9214131

Just checking in. Glad everyone is staying cool. Sampled Charlotte's tomatoes at a MG get together, they are delicious!
Kathy Ann - how much longer on your kitchen? Love your colors.
It's been hectic at work learning the new computer programs, but each week gets better.
Seems like work and keeping my plants watered is all I have time for these days - along with the most important thing - keeping my grandson Hunter! He loves to help me water the plants and he ususally ends up being watered the most! What a delight he is!
I did manage to mow, edge and clean up my front yard this week. Was pretty sure I was going to end up like one of those worms you see on your driveway in the morning -- FRIED!
I'm new and haven't been to Jim's but hear it is quite a treat, so I would be interested.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9214197

Hi Sarah_Claire!! What programs are you learning? I have a love/hate relationship with my computer most days!!! LOL!!!

I got my grass cut but now I have ruts all over the front yard. We have rain predicted again everyday for the next week and we really should have bailed it.

My hope for a nice quiet weekend has not happened. Ashley has had me going regardless of the weather.

My prayers are going up for the families and friends of the people killed and injured in Colorado. Ashley's 1st cousin Kimberly lives there and was in the theater but thank God was not hurt and my 1st cousin Lloyd Wayne's grand daughter was the little girl shot in the knee from Baton Rouge. In this day and age we just never know when something like this will happen but I refuse to hide and let this change my life in any way. If we do then they win!!! I love my Lord and am ready anytime he calls me home but while here I'm living!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9214231

Jeri so sorry to hear the girls were in the theater!!! What a frightening experience that must have been for them!!! So thankful they are OK. I'm like you - can't hide under a bushel - gotta live life!

You should have know Ashley would find something to keep you busy!! LOL I can't believe how grown up she is now! She's getting prettier and prettier every day.

Sarah and I went on a tour of some MG gardens this past Tues in heat! It was in the morning! We were really glad we decided to go as we saw some really different gardens.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9214343

Crazy times. I think if people gardened more, and spent time nurturing and being nurtured by a garden, they might be less inclined to do such crazy things. :-( Jeri, glad to hear your family will ok OK. My daughter's close friend from college was shot in the face, but miraculously, the shotgun pellet went up her sinuses instead of into her brain. She, too, looks like she will be OK. Scary, but I agree, one can't stop living. Many blessings.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9214370

Hi Sarah!! I haven't a clue as to how much longer on the house, but I do know they will set the cabinets early this week, within the next few days. Then we can do the trim and flooring and crownmold, he doesn't want to do all that till they bring in the cabinets and set them.

we're painting the sewing room and utility room now. maybe soon. 2 more weeks? that sounds like along time away. after that he's going to empty everything out of our bedroom into the sewing room and redo the bedroom. basically new floors in there and new paint, I think that's all. we're running out of money and we are arguing over door knobs now for the cabiniets, i have to have 65 of them, and he said I can't spend 4.00 a piece for them, lol I haven't found any under 3.50 that I like.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9214490

Jeri, thankfully, everyone in your family is ok!

Sarah Claire, are you a teacher and learning programs for new laptops being issued? The school system in Huntsville is issuing laptops (or in some cases netbooks or ipads) to all students this year, so the teachers have to learn how to teach with them too. This is instead of books, although for the lower grades and some things books are still required. I'm not sure how it all works, but the system is one of the first in the state to go digital.

K-A,can't wait to see your new kitchen and everything. I know what you mean about the knobs. They are expensive and it is hard to find good ones. Keep working on him, lol, and get what you want!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9214741

Elaine, Sarah doesn't check in here often so I'll answer for her for now and then she can correct me and give you the proper explanation later! She is an RN but no longer sees patients. She checks behind the doctors - charts, documentation, etc. I'm sure the new computer program has something to do with that.

Kathy Ann your getting closer and closer! You all have moved fast! I'm sure however to you it seems slow!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9214841

KA, my friend Sandy and I went to a garden party at Hopes and Dreams Greenhouses last night. We had such a great time! Yes, it was a little warm but not too bad. We ate, drank and were merry! lol Of course, you cannot visit Dian's and not take home a plant. Have any of you ever seen a variegated Boa EE? I had to bring it home!!! I also won a door prize...a very cute birdhouse!

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 6:03 PM

Thumbnail by duckmother   Thumbnail by duckmother   Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9214900

I love that variegated Boa! Cute, cute birdhouse!! I thought about going but decided I had too many things going on!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9215019

Charlotte, she had another one and a few more Thai giants. Dian gave the staghorn fern to Sandy but by the time we got home, Sandy told me to keep it safe and maybe she would take it home someday. We must keep working on her! She will be a gardener if the future!

My phone crashed tonight and removed ALL phone numbers...dmail them to me please...you know who you are ;o)) Sandra, Kenny, Charlotte, Marilyn, Loretta, Christine, Sarah...and so on...or if you have my number, you can send me a text tomorrow...just make certain you tell me who you are!
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

July 22, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9215038

Looks like ya'll had a great time. I hope ya'll can figure out the secret with the Thai and share it with me. I have 0 luck with it.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9215166

Love my stag horn fern! Kim I think I've told you before but don't spray any kind of insect spray on your stag horn fern. Ask me how I know!!LOl. I had one several years ago that was just covered in ants. They were eating a hole in it. AFTER I had sprayed it really good I happened to find my tag for it and the one thing it said not to do was spray it with any kind of ant killer!!! It did promptly die.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9215348

Kim, that is the cutest birdhouse! Sounds like y'all had great fun.

I put up peaches in the freezer yesterday. I had already put up a bunch of tomatoes in the freezer and made salsa so I canned 8 pints of tomatoes and then decided to make a cake. DH loves spice cake and he had bought a mix on one of his trips to the grocery store (guess that was a hint, huh). So I made one for him. I don't need the calories, but he loves it so I make one now and then for him.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9215544

Kim I love that variegated Boa EE. That thing is gorgeous!!!

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9216627

I guess variegated boas must be pretty rare...I hope I can keep it alive! Well, we brought home 2 ducks last night. They are very chipper this morning...or should I say they are very cheeper this morning? LOL Someone had partially raised them but put them on a pond too early. We will keep them for a week or two and then return them to the same pond...maybe ;o) I will take a few pix when I get home from work.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9216646

As far as I know there isn't a variegated boa, yet. check out this site i found, this boa looks just like yours.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?123451-I-tried-to-bid-on-this-plant-today-on-Ebay you got a rare one in deed.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9216689

You did get lucky Kim!! It's also a good size!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9216998

I just bought a medinilla magnifica off ebay. I had one in the gh when it burnt down, LOVE this plant, very expensive. I splurged
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoKuw6Q5Q1W8And2JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3F_adv_prop%3Dimage%26va%3Dmedinilla%2Bmagnifica%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701-s%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=794&h=623&imgurl=www.gardenersworld.ca%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F01%2FMedinilla.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gardenersworld.ca%2F%3Fp%3D1132&size=258.1+KB&name=Marvelous+Medinilla+Magnifica&p=medinilla+magnifica&oid=3cb1a2743cf7904ae3cc95ee6a78c8cf&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-701-s&tt=Marvelous%2BMedinilla%2BMagnifica&b=0&ni=99&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=114834jrj&sigb=13jbd5b2u&sigi=11umhag38&.crumb=YN6o3dReTRD

it's blooming size but doubtful i'll get blooms for a while. one ofm y more expensive bought plants for sure. shhhhh don't tell anybody lol
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

July 24, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9217068

Surprise, surpirse - I checked in twice this month!
Kim, you lucky "duck"! Love the boa and the birdhouse.
KA, if you're getting cabinets you can't be too far away now. I know you're going to love it. What woman wouldn't love a new kitchen? A friend of mine has a new house and had to have a huge kitchen and she doesn't even cook. She has a huge yard and doesn't garden either!!!
Hello Elaine. Charlotte is right. I am an RN and I work in performance improvement. There are certain data that Medicare requires and I collect it. I guess I was wrong in saying it is a program. It's actually our new electronic charting system and finding where the info I need is documented and how to get to it has been quite the challenge, not just for me but for everyone. Some of it just isn't there - yet.
The tour Charlotte and I went on was all MG gardens. Very interesting and creative. Really enjoyed them all, but was it hot. All their gardens were thriving and lush, and you could certainly tell they were true gardeners and had not hired someone to do it for them. Probably why they were more interesting to me.
Bought a new patio unbrella Sunday, had solar lights. Set it up this morning (I'm off on Tuesdays), cranked it open -- broken arm! Took it back and of course they didn't have another one. Went to Tuesday morning, found another I liked. Dragged it to the checkout and it was $200! The others in the bin were $79, but wrong colors. So I went to Academy Sports and bought a cheepie one for $30. It cranks up and gives shade. What more could you ask for?
Everybody -- do a rain dance!!!!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9217984

Hello everyone!! Sorry I went incognito, my membership expired and I had to wait to get it paid LOL!

I had temporary court hearing on Friday afternoon, he got fired from his job for insubordination and his unemployment was denied! He still told the court that he can pay all the utilities, I can't pay all the utilities on $12.48 an hour, and since I'm able to admit that I said OK, if you can pay the utilities you go right ahead, everything is in his name except the water bill so that's an easy fix.

I need help y'all!! I would have mentioned this earlier if my membership hadn't expired OOPS! I am moving out and glad of it to an apartment, hopefully in September, and rented a storage yesterday, but I don't have any help moving the big furniture, so if anyone has some time to donate I would be MUCH appreciative and will host a luncheon after I have a place to land!! Since I'll be by myself I CAN DO THIS YAY!!!!!

I have a king size bed, 2 cheapo nightstands, one dining table and 4 chairs, a small round table that I'm going to see if I can get into my car, one end table, full size sofa, big bedroom dresser with a mirror, one of those tall 5 drawer dressers, and a computer chair, and I think that's it. I have 1 truck, just need some man power. If anyone is interested let me know, I don't have a time set up yet but if I need to take a day off work that's fine, whatever is convenient for y'all, but the sooner the better, I'm thinking this Saturday morning. Let me know if you're interested! :)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 25, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9218363

Crissy, so sorry I can't help. I thought you were keeping the house? I guess I missed something, somewhere?? I hope you find some help to move.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9218783

Crissy, Al and I would be glad to help if we were closer . Al has a trailer but since we are 4 hours away. . .
I sure hope you find someone to help you out--moving is a pain under the best of circumstances.

Kathy Ann, I commented on your remodeling photos on FB--everything is looking great--sure hope you can find the right hardware for the cabinets!

Kim, I love your new birdhouse. When I was unpacking some more of my "stuff" the other day, I found a little birdhouse that had been packed away. It had to be a door prize from one of our get-togethers but I can't remember who brought it for a door prize. In fact, I didn't even remember that I had it--it's been in storage for over a year! LOL At any rate, I put it on a table in our screened-in back porch and it looks real cute out there.

We ordered some new bedroom furniture for our bedroom last week. The current furniture in our bedroom is going into the front guest room. The furniture that was in that bedroom was given to a thrift shop that benefits battered women. SOOOOO--since the room was empty, I decided it was the perfect time to paint it, which we did today. It only took us about 5 hours. Al did the cutting-in and I did the rolling. I picked out a color called "Weathered Bucket". I'm not sure I like it because it has a lavender undertone. I don't think a weathered bucket is supposed to be lavender! LOL Anyway, as it dries it does get darker and looks more like the paint chip which I picked out so I think it might be all right by in the morning. I sure hope so because, like it or not, it is not getting re-painted. I'll just learn to like it! :o~

Like most of ya'll, we have been having 100 degree days up here in the Ozarks with very little rain. Tomorrow,however, it is supposed to cool down into the 90's with a slight chance of rain. LOL Hey, any cool down will be welcome!

Kenny, I would sure love to come to another RU at Jim's but not sure I can make it. We will be dog-sitting my DD's dog while she heads out to Pike's Peak to climb it with a group of folks. I don't think I want to go off and leave two dogs here for that length of time. I would bring Laddy with me but bringing two dogs is just too much. I know you all will have a great time!

Jeri: so glad to know your family members are okay. The tragedy in Colorado just defies comprehension! Like you, however, we can't let someone like that keep us from enjoying life.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9218830

Christine wish I could help but just don't need to be lifting a lot of heavy things. I'm going to Utah Aug 5th and I'm trying to not do anything that might aggravate my sciatica nerve and cause a flare up. I have a lot of walking to do in Utah. I'm going to be hiking in canyons, hiking in a shallow river (only way to see something don't remember what) rappelling, riding horses, etc so I don't need to take a chance on pulling something!

Any chance one of your cop friends could help. If you could find one, he could probably find someone to help him.

I know you already know it, but just a reminder to take all the drawers out of the dresser and the chest and that will make it lighter and easier to move.

Sounds like you've been busy Marilyn! I still haven't finished the painting project I started this past winter!! Still have the area behind my huge china cabinet to paint. I've got to unload it all first and get one of my neighbors to help me move the cabinet - no easy matter and can't seem to find the time to do it!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9218848

I can't make it either Crissy!!! I'm sorry!!! My bit of advise is don't let them bend the king mattress. You will live with it for ever. LOL!!! Glad I still don't have that mattress any more so you know I'm talking from experience.

I would love to come to Jim's. I miss you guys something terrible!! I already don't know where I'm gonna put stuff this year because other than the hibiscus coming out of the GH, I have left everything in there and they are already packed.

Marilyn I know it's beautiful up there in the Ozarks. I'm so glad Yall are happy!! You sincerely deserve it!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9218877

Forgot to tell you all about a fresh roasted tomato soup I made this morning. It is delicious. I made about a gallon this morning and plan to make another batch and freeze it. I doubled the recipe this morning. My tomatoes are slowing down but I still have them running out my ears.

Roasted tomato soup

2 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes (can be a mix of various varieties)
6 cloves garlic peeled
2 small yellow onions sliced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 quart chicken stock
2 bay leaves
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (optional)
3/4 cup heavy cream (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Wash, core and cut the tomatoes into halves. Spread the tomatoes, garlic cloves and onions onto a baking tray. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, or until carmelized.

Remove roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion from the oven and transfer to a large stock pot. Add 3/4 of the chicken stock, bay leaves and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minut4es or until liquid has reduced by a third.

Wash and dry basil leaves, if using, and add to the pot. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat, add cream and adjust consistency with the remaining chicken stock, if necessary.

Note: I did not use as much olive oil as the recipe calls for. The next time I make it I'm going to cut the amount of butter in half. When I put mine in the blender I left some chunks for texture. Also be sure and turn the blender down VERY LOW! Your dealing with hot liquid and it will cause the lid to pop up if you don't. Ask me how I know!! I did use the fresh basil leaves but did not add the heavy cream.
I also threw in a few extra tomatoes!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 9:15 PM

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 6:39 AM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9219052

Oh my gosh, that soup sounds divine!! my tomatoes are just starting to put on tomatoes, so I timed that last row just right, i'll be in my kitchen when they are ready. I might make this. thanks for the recipe.

I walked last night, all the way, I can't move this morning, but ibuprofin will help lol

I noticed kenny has his thread up now for the Fall RU. in the midsouth forum.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9219328

Sandra this is temporary, he can't buy me out with no job but he says he can. I bought the house after we got married and therefore it's marital property, but time will tell.

Oh Oh Oh Yay!!! I may have some plants to bring to the RU!! I don't want to leave them at the house and I can't take them to an apartment.

Marilyn you've been busy!! WOW!

Charlotte I copied and printed that recipe, that sounds delicious, thanks for sharing that!

Don't worry about it y'all, I know it's difficult.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9219347

Charlotte, that soup sounds just yummy and I have tons of tomatoes to use somehow. Do you take the seeds out of yours or strain them out? I always wonder what to do with the seeds. Do I freeze them if I roast my tomatoes and just freeze the whole tomato? Or what...??? Always a big dilemma for me. I removed as many seeds as I could before I made my salsa, but that took forever!!! I love hiking in Utah. We have been several times and the scenery there is wonderful. Of course we usually go in Sep or Oct when it's cooler!!

Good luck crissy. I hope you find some help. I hate you're moving out of your house. I know you bought it before you got married, and I hope you don't have a problem with him staying in it and trashing it or worse yet, staying in it and you having to evict him at some point down the road. You never know what people are capable of doing.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9219428

Elaine I bought it after I got married, that's the problem. If I bought it before it would be mine without question.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9219699

Elaine I just cut the stem end of the tomato out and cut the tomatoes in half. Then roasted them. I did not peel or seed. I don't mind tomato seeds and your processing it in the blender so the skin gets processed also. After I blended it all I did pour it back into the pot and then put it back into my containers. I figured that way all of it would be the same consistency. Not sure what your asking about freezing. I'm just going to freeze the tomato soup after I completely finish it. I'll put it into single serving size containers. That way I can pull out a container and pop it into the microwave. I like soup and usually always have several kind in the freezer.

I have put some whole tomatoes in a big zip lock bag in the freezer. Read that you can do that. I plan to use them in soups or chili this winter. What I read said that when get ready to use them the skin will come of easy. I plan to do the same thing I do to skin fresh tomatoes. Just dip then in boiling water for several seconds.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

July 26, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9219782

Hi, here is the link for the RU. Hope to see everyone!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272770/
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9219810

Thanks, Charlotte. I've been cutting mine into fourths or eighths, but I think I'll save myself some work! I have to use my blender for everything right now too because my food processor (old Cuisinart) has died and I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in a new one or not. A good blender is hard to beat and I use it more than I do the processor I think.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9219812

You know I have a food processor on a shelf in the garage!! Totally forgot about it! Oh well the blender works fine!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9219828

Sounds like something I'd do, lol!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9219833

It's so much trouble to get out and then clean up and put back up!!! Think that's why I forgot about it! It's actually right where I can see it almost every day!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9220097

If y'all ever get a chance to visit Butchart gardens in Victoria Canada jump on it. It was amazing

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9220098

shall we dream some more

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9220099

Just a few more to drool over

obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

July 27, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9220122

We went a few years ago and it was something else. What blooms here is 3 times as big there. It's an amazing place.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9220152

Those photos are beautiful Cindy!! I love those delphiniums, wish we could grow them around here, they do like the colder weather. they can't grow alot that we can, so I guess I shouldn't be jealous!!! lol

they finish installing the cabinets today, and Danny will start the floor tonight or tomorrow morning. I can't wait, the Cabinets look awesome. I'm thinking about having a pampered chef party when we get done also.

I forgot what the counter tops looked like. I think they match well. Here's a sneak peak of the counter tops and color of the cabinets, not more pics till their done!! lol

I especially like the bottom photo where the cabinets go all across the wall, they will put the top cabinets up today and finish the bar too.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9220155

I forgot the picture of th e island where the stove is going

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9220157

here's the another view of the island. ya'll are first to see these pics!! this picture was alot darker. I'll post all the pics on fb tonight after I get off work

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9220173

Cindy that is an amazing place!!! The colors are so vivid and growth so lush it almost doesn't look real!!!

Kathy Ann your kitchen is going to be beautiful!! Love your color!

Gotta run! Got to get to the doctors office. Having a check up scan today.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9220201

Cindy, that is beautiful! I would love to go. I went skiing in Whistler-Blackcomb many years ago and on the return trip we stayed 2 nights in Victoria, BC. We got a quick tour of the city but not the gardens, plus it was in early March. I would love to go back now that I've seen your pictures! It is a wonderful city.

K-A, your kitchen is going to be so wonderful and functional! I know you can't wait. The color of the cabs is great!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9220231

What is even prettier is at night to go by the castle and all the lights make it look like a dream indeed!! Glad to see you posting Cindy!!! Have missed you!

KA you are gonna be in heaven when they finish. It will be perfect!!!
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

July 27, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9220500

Cindy those pictures were amazing! What a gorgeous place, thanks for sharing.

KA - love the color of your cabinets. Your kitchen is going to be beautiful.

Gardening tip: I bent the stem on my butterfly weed so I decided to put a "cast" on it. I took a 2 inch section of drinking straw, cut it down the side and rolled it up tight. Then I put it on the stem and it held it up. I actually forgot about it, but a few weeks later took it off and the stem had healed itself and it stands up straight now. There is a knot in the stem where the bend was. Who knew!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9220691

thanks Everybody, I know i'll love them too. I 'm loading the pics now to my fb of all the cabinits!! go look , their beautiful!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9220967

Hi everyone. I have not been on here for a few days...and you will see why in a moment.

Crissy, I am sorry that I did not know about your moving earlier...not that I could've helped but I may have been able to find some help for you. My fault for not checking in on my DG family!

Cindy, I hope to go there someday. BEAUTIFUL!

KA, I cannot wait to see it in person!

Thanks everyone for sending numbers. I was able to recover some of them but not all, and I could not recover anything else. Oh well, just like getting a new phone...I have to learn it all over again, so that I can forget it by the time I need it again ;o))

Please meet Jack and Jill...they do not like to sit still for a photo!

Thumbnail by duckmother   Thumbnail by duckmother   Thumbnail by duckmother   Thumbnail by duckmother   Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9221010

They seem to really like their new mother!!!! Can't wait to hear the tales of Jack and Jill!

I've been trying to do something with all this produce I'm growing!! Put 2 gallons of eggplant in the freezer already tonight. Just got through bagging up 3 quarts of tomatoes. I have a bunch that I just stuck in gallon ziploc bags whole. But that takes up a lot of room so I peeled and seeded these. Put a quart of okra in the freezer. That was just from today's picking! Now I have some bell pepper I need to cut up and freeze! Folks I don't even cook anymore!!! But I think I may be cooking some this winter! Don't want to waste it all!

Christine hope you got someone to help you move your stuff!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 27, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9221048

Sounds like lots of good soup in the making Charlotte. I made some last week with fresh tomatoes,onion, bell pepper, ground beef, potatoes--some spices and it was so good with the fresh tomatoes. I am jealous, I would can every tomato I could, I like to open a pint jar in the winter, fish out the bigger pieces of tomatoes for a sandwich, then just eat the rest with a spoon, all through the afternoon!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9221054

That was my daddy's favorite soup! Mother made it all the time except she did add some green beans to hers usually. After she died I would cook a big pot of it for him and freeze it in disposable plastic containers.

Just finished cutting up a bunch of bell pepper and putting it in the freezer! My kitchen looks like a war zone and I'm pooped!! I have some purple onion I probably need to cut up and freeze. But that's another night!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 27, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9221074

I bought a 10 pound bag of Vidalias when they were coming in, I chopped a gallon zip lock bag full and froze them. I have enough to get me through holiday cooking ! I gave Jerry's Mom a few and gave Pat several. It was 4.99 and that was cheaper than to buy the smaller bag!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9224934

Has this heat got to every one! It is hot, hot, hot here!! It was 109 here yesterday with a heat index of 111. I went outside last night around 11:30 and it was still so hot you couldn't breath. I smelled smoke and kept looking around to see where it might be coming from. Never did figure it out. Maybe it just got so hot during the day it scorched everything and left the smell of smoke!!LOL

Got my water bill a few minutes ago and it sent me to check the weather forecast for rain!!! It was 306.00 - over 200 of it was for sprinkler water for the plants! We still have Aug to go! I used to love summer but I'm about to change my mind! I'm tired of being hot and everything so dry!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 31, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9224974

We had a cooler day yesterda and some rain very early this morning, but it is very hot this afternoon. Eli and I walked around the beds earlier this morning, but I didn't go to get the mail yet, too hot to get him out now.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9225442

How are you enjoying the little fella? Are you exhausted yet?
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9225448

Charlotte I was outside last night and smelled that smoke as well I think it may have been from that forest fire in Paron - we don't live too far from there as the crow flies so I thought that might be where it was from. It was a little freaky since the fire danger is so high and out here we are seriously surrounded by nothing but woods which right now is like being in a tinderbox.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9225463

Karen I hadn't even thought about that. We're a long way from Paron but it's weird how scents and sounds can carry for long distances some time. We are miles from any kind of railroad but every so often at night we can hear the distant sounds of a train. I'm like you, it was really spooky last night with every thing as dry as it is. I even debated whether or not I should call the fire department. But all I could tell them was I smelled smoke. But I not only smelled smoke it actually burned my eyes and nose. After checking all around me in the back yard and going in the front yard and looking at all the houses up and down the street I decided to just go to bed.

Sandra I bet your really enjoying Eli but I also bet your totally worn out!!! Little ones are made for young people!!

I still marvel at my friend that is my age and has adopted her 13 year old grandson. She just got through building a zip line this week end!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 1, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9225748

I am pretty tired, but we are making it fine. The hardest part is staying inside all day. Even if I didn't have time to work, I still made several tripa a day around the place looking at things, if he is awake in the mornings we make a trip around, but the afternoon is way too hot to take him out. Jerry gets home at 4, but he won't touch him until he gets out of his uniform and has a shower. He is afraid there might be metal shavings on his uniform. Cayla gets here anywhere from 4:30-6 depending on what is happening there. She stays until 8 or so as Brandon is sleeping so he can go to work at 11pm. Of course I am free to go out when she gets here, but usually too tired by then--lol !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9225754

That would be hard for me too Sandra! I'm like you I may not go out and do any work but I like to go out and just walk around and look at things. It should be better for you once the weather gets a little cooler. I'm sure Eli will like being outside when it cooler also. All babies seem to like the outside. It's so good that you can keep him for Kayla. My mother and MIL kept Jeff when I worked when he was small. I knew he was being well taken care of and I didn't have to worry about him. Really made a difference! You will also establish a special bond with Eli!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9225790

I am having lunch today at Chick Fil a. If you don't have a problem with a company that believes that a marriage is between a man and a woman then please join me!!! This mess has been going on since the beginning of the world and I have never made a stance on the subject but this really takes the cake that Chicago is banning the diner because of the Christian views of the CEO. I have never said a word until now but I feel that I must now!!! The line has been drawn in the sand and I might add not by me but I will stand proudly on my side of the line.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9225884

I'm also having lunch at chick fil a!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9226001

I am at chick fil a. You would not believe the number of people!!!! It is in front of lowes and the drive through line goes all the way down through lowes parking lot almost to the front door. There is also a huge line standing outside waiting to get inside. Doing my shopping at lowes first! They have cops out directing traffic!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9226043

That is a daily thing at NLR Lowes!

Okay, I had my A1C checked this morning. For you non-diabetics, this test gives you an average of your blood sugar for the past weeks. When I had my first one, it was 13, which means an average of 340! The doctor told me not to expect too much of a drop in 3 months. So I was gonna be happy with anything below 13! Today, mine was 7!!!!! In 3 months!!! This means my average is 140!!! I am sooooooooooooooooooo happy! As a matter of fact all labs and CT scan are normal...except TSH has increased a little, so I get to take yet another pill...but hey, I will drop a few more pounds ;o))

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9226054

We're went to pick ours up but the traffic is backed up to the interstate. We'll try to go back tonight.

Kim that is wonderful!! I'm so glad that you are adapting to the new life style.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9226192

Wow! I'm very happy for Chick-fil-a. I don't go out at lunch very much and I supported their 'day' today but I couldn't have waited that long for a chicken sandwich. I am happy to 'Eat More chikn' like the cows say, though.

Kim, so glad you got a great report and are adapting so well!! That is wonderful.

Well girls, I didn't realize Olive Branch, MS was so close. Heck, it's not even all the way to Memphis! I'm really excited I might even get the chance to come meet you all, much less get to a round up on the 22nd of Sep. It will really be good to see you all. I've already done a few walk-arounds to see what I can divide. Sandra, I hope you can mark up some DL's, but I doubt any of us can get out and do too much in this heat!! The good news is we have had plenty of rain, so I really should be gettiing out and dividing up some stuff while I can at least dig!

Tomatoes are still doing good, but the squash bugs are tearing up my squash and it's about done. I didn't get any vine borers, just those pesky bugs. And I have peppers out the ears too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9226322

Kim that's great news!!!!

I had an ultra sound and a full body scan Friday. Follow up for my thyroid cancer last year. They called today and everything was negative!

Kim my TSH is what they have to check every few months. I've lost weight since my surgery last year. It was very gradual and I didn't change anything about the way I eat. Think it had to do with my synthroid.

Look forward to meeting you in person Elaine!

The squash borer is what I had problems with! Pesky little worms!

Still no rain here and no relief in the 100 + temps. I'm watching the news now and they are talking about trout dying in our lakes because of the extremely hot temps. It's causing the water to warm up too much.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 1, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9226451

Elaine, I will try my best to get you some daylilies ! So glad you are going to be able to come to the party, I sure hope nothing stops me this year!

Kim, that is great news, you only like a 1/2 point being in the excellent range, my last one was 6.9 so I like a 1/2 point too !
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9226501

Thanks, ladies. Sandra, you are so close...maybe I will get to the "excellent" level someday. He even said today that if I keep this up, we may start lowering my meds in the next 6 months! I shan't get my hopes up.

Charlotte, great news! We need to celebrate our good news by going to the RU in September!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9226529

Yep! I plan to be there!!

My "kids" have been keeping me on my toes tonight! I rented another space at the antique mall (yea I know I'm crazy) and have busy getting it ready today. I stopped by the drug store on the way home. When I walked in the house I just put the sacks on top of the coffee table I thought out of there reach. Went to my garden to pick produce. When I got back and walked through the den I thought what in the world has happened here. Fake lemons from a bowl on the coffee table were all over the floor along with various other things that had been on the fireplace hearth. Then I noticed there was bread among all the mess. I had bought a loaf of bread at the drugstore and they smelled it and managed to somehow get the edge of the sack and drug it off the table bringing lemons and other things along with it! Then they managed to chew a whole in the bread bag and had a feast on bread! Charlie wasn't happy with having just that mess so he had pulled other stuff off the hearth (stuff I'm planning to take to my booth)! I swear they are worse than two year old real kids!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9226606

I would have had breakfast there, but I only had l0 min and I would have been late for work, so sadly I didn't get to go there today. Traffic was bad at that end of town. Lots of supporters here in Searcy for them!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 2, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9226906

Kim, I have forgotten, what is your meds? I take 1,000 metformin and 5 mg glipizide
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9226989

Janumet=Januvia and Metformin 100/1000...speaking of, I need to go take meds ;o)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9229095

Congrats Kim on the good numbers. Al is a diabetic and has been for close to 50 years. He sticks his finger every morning and his numbers range from the low 90's all the way up to the 130's (if he has been a bad boy). He is usually in the 95 to 105 range, though. He also takes the metformin but the doctor told him last time that he could do away with taking the glipizide. :o) I watch his carb and sugar intake for him because he is prone to eat too many cheetos, etc. :o(

Jack and Jill are adorable!

Cindy: we didn't get to go to the gardens because it was raining the evening we were docked in Victoria. Your pictures are almost as good as being there in person, though.

Charlotte, have a great trip with your family! I hope it isn't as hot in Utah as it has been here! Funny story about your "kids". LOL

Sarah: that is a good idea about "casting" your butterfly plant! I'll have to remember that tip for future use.

There isn't a chick-fil-a within 2 hours of us, so naturally we didn't go. However, we certainly would have supported them had one been nearby.

Gotta run. We are taking my grandson home this morning. He has been here a week and we have really enjoyed him.
Talk to you ladies later!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9229229

Marilyn I think I would have gone to the gardens in the rain! It would have been worth getting wet!

I know you have enjoyed having Zach with you all week. I know he enjoyed it also. I bet he misses you since he used to spend a lot of time at your house.

I feel so fortunate to have grandsons that really enjoy spending time with me. Jake calls me every week just to chat. Never know when he's going to call - just whenever he gets some time he'll call and talk for 30 to 45 minutes. Called me yesterday afternoon.
Yes I'm looking forward to our trip to Utah. I have all my clothes laid out. Don't need anything but hiking clothes. Got the last of the "equipment" I'll need yesterday. Kristi told me I should have a water bottle. I was thinking I could just take some bottled water. Guess it doesn't work that way! So now have a water bottle for my back pack.

It is going to be a lot cooler in the area we're going to. We're going to Bryce Canyon and then on to Zion. The forecast in Bryce is high of 80 and low of 55. Zion is going to be warmer in the day but still cool at night. Among the gear I'm taking is a fleece jacket. That was on the list Kristi gave me.

Going to keep this hiking up! Sarah and I are going to join a group of ladies that like to hike. They don't start hiking until Oct. when the weather cools down. Not sure where they hike - going to a meeting later in Aug to find out all the detail.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9229274

There is a hiking group in little rock called trailblazers. We thought many times about joining the group. But never for around to it. They do the moonlight hikes too. They also have a fb group. It's not a ladies knly group though.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9229380

Don't think it's the same group. This is a ladies only as I understand it. Might be mistaken.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9229660

Charlotte, we've hiked in both and they are 2 of my favorite place to go hike and view the scenery. If you have time, it is also fun to ride horses in Bryce. You don't have to watch your feet all the time, lol. In Zion, there is a trail that goes up to Angel's landing. Very strenuous up at the top and you've got to go through 'Wally's Wiggles' which is a big zig-zag, but it's awesome. Love that one. You don't drive thru the park (Zion) anymore, they have a shuttle that runs by each stop about every 15 minutes. It's real easy.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9229749

I don't know the trails we're going on but probably some of the ones you've mentioned. Kristi is in charge of making on the arrangements! I don't have to think about anything! Love it!

I do know we are going horse back riding as she has told me they suggest wearing long pants, we are walking up the Narrows (shallow river) and she has already reserved the special shoes, going canyoneering but don't know which path (she has told me I will have to rappel), may go ATV riding (not sure about that one). Believe me she will keep us busy every day! We are staying in a house. Not sure if it is going to be one house for both places or if we will change houses. She makes all the plans in advance rather than waiting until we get there. She said otherwise the kids can't make up their minds what they want to do. So she just plans everything out and keeps it a secret from the boys until we get there. I was informed not to tell them what we are doing!! LOL
I do know the house has a hot tub which I may need because she told me to bring a bathing suit for it!!!

They travel quite a bit and Kristi is really good at finding super houses and figuring out all the good places to go.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9230079

Yes, you will get your feet wet in the Narrows! But it is a beautifu trail. The parks are a good distance apart, so not sure what she might have planned there. Maybe 2 places to stay; one at each end. You can ride horses in Zion too but the trails are much easier for the most part in Zion. The trail in Bryce aren't all that bad either, it's just neat to get a guided tour on horseback. Angel's Landing trail for the first mile and a half or so is easy and then it gets really steep and hard.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9234168

I've had an interesting few days. We did do the Narrows and I definitely got wet. We got in the Narrows and wales until noon. Stopped for lunch then walked back. We hiked for about 6 hours.

Yesterday we had a guide and he took us on a full day hike in Water Canyon. It was a very difficult that went straight up, lots of big rocks and sand, When we got to the top we started rappelling down. I did 6 rapels all around 100 ft. I didn't have any problems doing it. Each rapel we had to do something different to get down. Also had to walk through water several times. Certainly had to forget about any fear of heights! At one rapel we had to climb up on this rock that was not much bigger than a coffe table that was just a straight off on each side. Once we got across it the area we stood on was bigger. I scooted across on my bottom!

Headed to Bryce shortly. Riding ATV's this afternoon.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9234242

Go Charlotte! Did you hike up to Angel's? You will love Bryce. So colorful and beautiful. You can't even see anything from the road and all of a sudden you drive into the park and there it is.
gen2026
Camden, AR

August 8, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9234439

Hello all! Just trying to catch up on everything and every body...

The kids and I did make our trip to Dallas on the 19 -21 of July, but we had just picked up Kyle's gf at her house in Garland and was headed to our first mall when we were involved in an accident and messed up Jessica's new car ! :( I was driving, thank goodness, and no one was hurt but the car so that is good... and the car is scheduled to be repaired next week finally! We were following a guy about 40 yds behind him that had several boxes in the back of his truck with plastic wrap around them. It was cases and cases of 2 gal water coolers. Somehow the wind got up under them and he dropped 6 cases at one time...we were in 5 lanes of traffic and those cases exploded when they hit the pavement and watercoolers were going everywhere! We hit a couple of the boxes,and I think some of the bouncing coolers hit us - tore up her bumper really bad, and we found out after I took it to the body shop that the AC compressor was crushed too. Thank the Lord we continued to have AC because one day it was 109 while we were there!! The scariest part was after we got over to the side of the road and parked several feet past the other car that stopped and the truck that was carrying the load - someone in a mini van almost came to a complete stop in the road right beside us and a car rearended them - less than 3 ft from us! Thankfully the guy who dropped the load had insurance, and he was ticketed for failure to secure his load, so his insurance company is paying to repair the car.

The kids have been getting ready to head off to college... sniff, sniff,... Alex had surgery on his nose last Thursday so I was up there on Thursday and Friday because Natalie had started a new job the week before and couldn't take off work! Leigh is scheduled for shoulder surgery on the 20th. It has been a little hectic! But, I have a LONG list of "to dos" to keep my busy once the kids are gone!

Kathy the kitchen is looking great! I know you are so happy to have it coming together and almost finished. It is something you will really enjoy for years and years to come! Marilyn, glad to hear you got a brief rain and at least a little reprieve from the high heat. We had a storm and heavy rain on Sunday... didn't cool it down much but at least we got some water! Crissy, sorry I was out of pocket when you posted. Did you find someone to help you move? I hope that you were able to get some help!

Elaine, excited to see that you might get to come to the RU at Kenny's...hopefully I will be able to attend too! I am anxious to see everyone - seems like it has been forever since I have gotten to see some of my DG buddies!!

Charlotte, sounds like you are having a great time on your trip! Don't know if I would be brave enough to try repelling or not... But, I bet that those GS's brag about their grandmother taking on the task!!

Kim, great news on your numbers! So glad to hear that your diet and meds are doing so well! Your new babies look adorable too.

Hope everyone is doing well! I have "missed" everyone - just haven't had time to get on line at work until today's break, and my computer at home died. Picked it up today and supposedly will be back in business...we'll see. But I lost all my stuff on my harddrive!!!

Have a great day everyone!
Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9235416

Genna that was a terrible experience! Just glad all ended well! I had something similar happen to me a few years ago . I was on a highway in LA in farm country and a farm truck in front of me lost a big drum of hydrolic fluid. Because of other cars I didn't have any place to go and it hit my car and the impact caused the lid to fly off and my windshield was covered in pink greasy fluid. Totally blinded me. It broke my bumper also.

We had a great time ATV driving through the sand dunes. They were all impressed with my driving ability - especially my son!LOL. He wanted to know how I learned to drive ATV'S . Actually I think all the time I spent driving go carts with the boys helped me! He actually took us on a more difficult route - took us up a steep hill so we could have a good view of the area,

We're going horse back riding down into Byce cayon today.

Elaine we didn't do Angels landing. We spent almost a full day walking in the Narrows. We went way down to where it became waist deep. The day we rapelled was another full day. We left at 7 am and didn't get home until 5 pm. The hike up Water Canyon was straight up. One hike like that was enough for all of us!
gen2026
Camden, AR

August 9, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9235443

Sounds like ya'll are having a blast Charlotte! The horseback riding really sounds like fun!!

Yeah, we had cars in the lane on each side of us - not directly beside me but on my bumper. There was no where to go...and so we just stayed in our lane. The FIRST thing I did was look in my rearview mirror and THANKED GOD that there was not anyone directly behind us and no semi in sight!!! For that I was extremely thankful. ... Jessi was upset - which was to be expected, but as Kyle said, you never know if that "accident" kept us from getting involved in something much more serious down the road. It could have been SO much worse - and I am just so thankful that no one was hurt. When we got back to AR I read in the paper about some guy who was killed in his vehicle because a piece of metal came into his vehicle and struck him in the head... so our bent up bumper wasn't really an issue!!!

I have been fighting another tooth infection in that tooth that they have already done TWO root canals on! He went back in the last time 18 months ago and said there was a tiny tip of the root that he couldn't get but that he doubted that it would ever cause any problems. He left a temp filling in until May - when he finally replaced it with a permanent. NOW, I have another infection in there. The entire side of my head and neck are swollen. I am finishing up the second antibiotic today and it is obviously not doing anything! They have me an appt with an endodontist in LR on Tuesday for a THIRD root canal!! ... I hope I survive that long! This is about 3 1/2 weeks into the infection and I think it is winning!!! I feel like i have been ran over by a freight train!

There was a major storm that came thru the area yesterday evening. We didn't get any rain out of it, but we went to Holly to work on my parent's old house and it had poured up there. That area really needed a rain because they hadn't had any... I am sure everyone in the area was thankful to finally get some. When we mowed the yard up there last weekend it was just like a dustbowl...the grass was just brittle! EVEN THE PRIVET was wilted...I am not sure I have ever seen that before!!

Hope everyone has a great day. I better get back to work!

Genna

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9237593

Genna, so sorry about the accident but grateful that you are all okay. The car can be repaired--sometimes humans cannot. I sure hope the problem with your tooth and the resulting infection is taken care of the third time around! I can't imagine having to have 3 root canals on the same tooth! Ouch!

Charlotte: are you feeling muscles you didn't know you had? LOL You and the family are certainly having a good time! You go, girl!

Well, I haven't been rappelling or hiking but I feel as if I have been doing the equivalent but what I have been doing hasn't been for pleasure--it has been for necessity! LOL Al and I have painted the front bedroom, moved the furniture from the master bedroom into the front bedroom (hauled the old furniture in the front bedroom to a thrift shop that benefits battered women),hauled my front-loading washer and dryer from Harrison to our home, moved out the old washer/dryer and hauled that pair to the Salvation Army in Mountain Home, AR, painted the laundry area (including the concrete floor), moved the washer and dryer into the laundry area, went to Harrison again and dug up 14 plants, brought them home and re-planted them (had to prepare a shade bed before planting them) AND started the process of cleaning Al's "treasures" LOL off the carport! Oh, yes, we bought new bedroom furniture for our bedroom but we didn't have to move it in and set it up, thank goodness! The furniture company did that job! :D

On Monday, we will haul a load of scrap metal and plastic to the recycle center in Gainesville, MO (all the scrap metal and plastic were part of Al's "treasures" --including two chain saws that don't work--LOL). Oh, I forgot to mention Al's pile of cardboard which he was "saving because I might need it". Now I ask you, WHO saves cardboard because they "might need it someday"? ROFL So he agreed to part with it and it will go to the recycle center, too. :o) Actually, when we got married, he really did tell me to keep after him until he got rid of a bunch of the "stuff" he was "collecting" so I took him at his word and have continued to gently "nudge" him about getting rid of it. :o)

Today, it is delightfully cooler here. It was 56F when I woke up at 6 a.m. Our high will only be in the mid-80's today and all next week! Wonderful! I'm enjoying it by just relaxing and Al has gone to a charity skeet shoot benefiting the Red Cross.

My moonflower plant had 13 new blooms on it this morning! That thing has really done well this summer in spite of the heat but we have kept it and the rest of the plants watered well. Our yard is greening up after a much-needed rain last week-end but we are still way behind in rainfall. I saw on the weather map this week that Arkansas and Missouri are in "extreme drought" conditions, which is no surprise to anyone who lives in either state.

Oh, Sandra, I want you to know that I did bring Gunny's rose over from Harrison. She has proven to be a real trooper in spite of the many times I have transplanted her since 2008. She now has a place of honor in the center of my front flower bed in the middle of our front yard. :o)

You ladies have a good week-end!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 11, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9237682

We have cooler weather today too, 75-I am off,to tackle some weeds and grass.

Marilyn you have been busy, and it seems everyone else is too, we are already into August and still chatting on July thread-lol--this year is really flying by!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9237725

Marilyn you have busy! Glad you were able to take some of your plants with you!
"Who saves cardboard because they might need it someday"?? ME! I use it for mulch. I also break down and always have some boxes on hand in case I need to mail a package. Yes I know they have priority mail boxes at the post office but they are not always the size I need. I also save all my gallon milk jugs! You could have a field day at my house!! LOL

I made it back about midnight last night and surprising I'm not sore at all. I move furniture just about every week. I bought a big tall chest (the entire length of my truck bed) and a desk and chair that I had to unload and put in my garage and do some work on and then load them back in my truck and unload them again at the antique mall just before I left. I had been walking almost every day and it's a good thing I did.

I saw some beautiful scenery and had a great time with the boys and Jeff and Kristi. They do not allow rappelling except in one small area of Zion Park and they don't allow guides in that area.

No way I do it without a guide! Our guide took us to Water Canyon which is a few miles outside the park and on land owned by the Bureau of Land Management. It was a true canyoneering experience as the trail we hiked up was barely detectable. We had to go up single file and at times those of us at the back would have to hollow up and make sure we were on the right path. I did lots of climbing over rocks and lots of sliding down rocks! We didn't see another person in the canyon during the whole day.

We did see something unusual. In order to get to the Canyon we had to go through the polygamist town controlled by Warren Jeffs. We saw his compound. At the base of the Canyon a bunch of the group were playing in a spring when we went up that morning and another group was there we came down that afternoon. The women and girls and wear long sleeve homemade dresses that look alike (only solid colors) and wear pants under the dresses even though they come to the ankle. The men and boys also all wore long sleeve shirts and long pants. When we were leaving Zion to go to Bryce we were going by way of the Pink Dunes to ride ATV's. The Pink Dunes were in the boonies (even had to travel down some unpaved roads) and the only place that Kristi could find on the GPS to eat on the way was a pizza place. Well it turned out to be in the Polygamist colony! The boys were kind of freaked out about it. It was a drive thru place so we just ate in the car. But saw lots of activity while we were eating.

I think I liked the Bryce area best as far as scenery. They both were beautiful but I just like the formations at Bryce better. We went on a horseback ride down into the canyon. We took the 3 and 1/2 hour ride which went all the way to the bottom and around several trails. It was absolutely breath taking. My bottom is slightly sore but not bad.

Kristi does an excellent job of finding really nice houses for us to stay in. It really makes it nice for everyone to have their own space. The last night We were in Bryce we built a fire in the fire pit at our house and roasted marshmallows and made smores. We turned all the lights off so we were in total dark except for the fire and looked at the stars! Great time!

Genna hope your tooth is much better!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9237727

We did a cross post Sandra! Yes this year is flying by! Unbelievable! I know you are really busy with Eli! Little ones keep you hopping!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9237734

Marilyn forgot to mention that the Datura like you have was growing wild all over the place in Zion. Saw some in Bryce but not as much as in Zion.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 11, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9238348

Glad to see you back Charlotte, my that rip flew by too, I am sure it did for you too! I bet your bottom is sore from the horses, Iknow mine would be, I haven't been on a horse in thiry or more years!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9238372

It had been about 15 years since I had been on a horse. I finally remembered to use my stirrups and straighten my legs to lift myself up some. Made a huge difference when I did that.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9238733

Charlotte, I loved riding the horses in Bryce. But the hiking is good too. Maybe you'll get to go back again and do some other trails on foot! Zion too. There are some other really nice trails that are not hard in both places that I love. I haven't done the rapelling in Zion but next time we go I'll have to look for that. DH would love it. You all would also like Moab which is further north. Arches and Canyonlands national parks are both there and have a lot to do...trail riding, balloon rides, 4-wheel drive trips, etc, not to mention the hikes and scenery, especially of all the arches. Fiery Furnace is a ranger-led hike about a half day that is fabulous and only about $10 per person. You should check it out for next year!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9238785

Elaine the canyoneering day was fun. Truly back to nature. According to our guide only individuals can rappel in Zion Park and only in a very limited area. The guide was fairly expensive but well worth it. I can get you the name of the company if you want it.
We did go to all the lookout points and walked up to the top of each lookout. If you haven't done the Narrows you should do that.
We rented the special shoes and socks and a walking stick. You really do need all that equipment. There were a lot of people that were just in swim shoes or some other shoe of that type and no walking stick. They were the ones that didn't make it very far. You are constantly crossing back and forth across the river. While it is shallow it has a lot of currrent you are walking against plus the bottom is full of huge rocks that are not always visible. So you need the walking stick for balance as you are finding your way through the rocks. The depth of the water is different. One place can be knee high and just a few feet away up on your thighs.
I doubt they go back again. It will be off to a new adventure next year!!! They seldom do the same place again. They are up in Yellowstone this week. They dropped me off in Salt Lake City and they drove on to Jackson Hole. They are going to be up in that area the rest of the week. I didn't feel I should leave Richard alone for more than a week is why I came on back.

They really believe in using guides and usually do not join other groups but get private guides. Jeff called last night and they were going to look at wildlife today. They had a guide that was taking them.

All my plants made it through while I was gone. We had a good rain Wed which helped. It also helped bring the temperature down some. Everything looks healthy but it's just not been a good year for flowers. Things have just not bloomed like they ususally do. Only a few of my tropical hibiscus are blooming. The buds get falling off before they can bloom. My caladiums were really pretty but they are already starting to wilt down despite having lots of water. I have tons of yard work I need to get out there and do. Need to cut some hydrangeas back (about to wait too late) and some other things. I have that horrible weed that gets little seed pods all over the stem. I cannot keep it pulled out of my bed in the front.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9239831

It's quiet on the thread this morning so this is a good time to start a new thread for August. Please join us over here with your comments and photos:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275314/

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275314/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America