Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mustlovedogs
Little Rock, AR

July 5, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #9193541

Good morning everyone I'm new to Dave's garden so I'm just now finding this post..I'm beginning to see some signs of hoarding and it's scaring me to death..I've seen those shows and have wondered how ppl let it get so bad like that, well vie been out of work for almost 2 yrs and suffering from depression due to losing my job after 26yr..I have no desire to do anything, but when I'm having a good day the clutter over whelms me..it's mostly paper, I get so stressed at the thought of dealing with it all..I know that I need to get it done, but I seems to just stop me in my tracks, or just brings me to tears..someone PLS HELP me
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9197271

Hi MLD. Welcome to Daves!

I sometimes think our environment reflects our mental/emotional state...or maybe our mental/emotional state reflects our environment--not sure which comes first, but inevitably, the two seem to go hand in hand. Taking on one issue tends to lead to taking on the other issue eventually as we seek balance. The fact that you CAN see the clutter and it DOES disturb you is a good sign--you've identified one of the problems. That's really the first step.

Clutter is one of those things that hangs over your head and robs you of mental focus and energy. When you begin to tackle it, you'll find that restoring order to your surroundings can begin the process of restoring order to your spirit...and vice versa. The key is to take on small sections at a time and work on it a little at a time. Pick a spot and dig in. Just do it. Don't think too hard about it or you'll talk it up into a monumental task and defeat yourself before you even begin. Pick a table or desk and straighten it up today. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get it all done. Acknowledge any accomplishment. The more little projects you complete, the more courage you'll have as you work up to bigger projects.

The hardest part is just beginning. Just starting defeats most of us at first. We seldom have the energy to just start in. We tend to see the big picture instead of a small table. So clearing the small table may never begin because we see an entire room or entire house that needs to be tackled. Will this one small table make a difference? In the big picture, it doesn't seem so; therefore we lose momentum before we even begin. But look at it as "one small table today," "a desk tomorrow," "the dining room table the day after that"--small steps that add up to a big difference in no time.

I like to work one room at a time. When a whole room is neat and organized, it spurs me on to the next room and the next. Some people do one project in this room, one project in another room, and another in another. Either way you prefer to work is fine. I like to see accomplishment, so getting a whole room organized really lights my fire, but that's just me; it doesn't work for everyone.

Another suggestion is to create an inspiring environment to work in. For instance, light a scented candle and play 80's classic rock if that energizes and relaxes you. I often put on Joe Cocker's Greatest Hits when I clean the house. The beat of his music energizes me and I've got the house cleaned before I know it. Sometimes, when sorting thru paperwork or paying bills, I play Celtic music to soothe my soul while sending my beloved money to new homes. LOL

Find some little ritual that gets you in the mood and lightens your soul. Anything that can make the time more comfortable will keep you on task and prevent you from constantly dreading the task. As you make progress, I think you'll find that you actually crave the decluttering process at times and feel really energized to work for hours at a time. But don't forget to take breaks too. Take breaks during the day as well as a day off here and there to rejuvenate your spirit. AND reward yourself now and then. For instance, I LOVE pedicures and one of the beauty schools here will give me a mani-pedi for $20. So, if I tidy my office, I can treat myself to the mani-pedi. If I hang my clean clothes, I can have a Baskin-Robbins ice cream. If I spend all day weeding, I can lie on the couch all evening and watch episodes of "Eureka" and munch on watermelon. LOL Rewards are important, so figure out your reward system. None of us like to work for free, so "pay" yourself for your hard work.

Check back in with us from time to time and let us know how your process is going. You'll have ups and downs and we're to here to spur you on. Each day is a new day and if you had a bad day yesterday, forget about it; you can start fresh each morning. We're here for support, and I'm sure others will have other suggestions. Good luck with your decluttering process.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9203380

1) Get a kitchen timer & set it for 15 minutes. Pick away at the clutter for that time. That's it! Then do it again tomorrow. And the day after that. And after that... You WILL see a difference.

2) If it's mostly paper, put it all in cardboard boxes. Label each one with the date & room it came from so that if you need to check an old utility statement, you'll know which box it probably is in. Once all that clutter is boxed up, you can pull one out whenever you have the energy & deal with the contents. So keep the boxes on the smaller side. Also easier to move that way.
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 12, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9203433

Today get one medium-sized kitchen trashcan. Fill it. Bag it. Put the bag in the driver's seat of your car or truck so you HAVE TO see it in the morning. You'll move it to the passenger seat when you leave in the morning. That's fine. Put a bag in your now empty trashcan tonight. STARE at it a minute. Think about how quickly you can fill a medium-sized trashcan. Go to bed.

Tomorrow take it to the dump or put it in your big can if you have trash pick-up and think about your EMPTY medium-sized trashcan. And come home and fill it.

Doesn't matter what you put in your trashcan. So long as you BAG it and REMOVE it from your house.

Don't tackle the whole house or the whole room or the whole desk. Just tackle one medium-sized trashcan. Fill it. Bag it. REMOVE it from your house.

Oh, what a feeling! LOLOL
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9206528

Oh, I like that bag it and remove it technique! I need to do that with my office papers right now. Wonderful concept!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 22, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9214304

I am just now finding this thread but see that some great ideas have already been submitted. I know that for myself it took a lot of reading on the subject, and then talking about it here in order for me to reach a point where I was ready to tackle the mess I was living in. I am well aware of the energy drain that comes with looking at the whole big picture and feeling too overwhelmed to know where to begin. Anywhere you start, and anything you do will bring you closer to your goal of making your surroundings a more pleasant place to live.

I found great help here a couple of years ago when I was able to do a major declutter of years worth of excesses. I had all the excuses in the book for not getting started. What I found out, and had been advised might happen, is that once I got going on de-cluttering, the more I wanted to do it and it actually brought me a lot of joy to downsize some of my belongings. This was a many month long project and I stayed in touch with the folks here in order to motivate and encourage me to keep at it. I know in my soul that had I not had the input from folks here, I wouldn't have accomplished what I was able to do then.

While in the process of de-cluttering, I learned a lot about myself and my spending habits. I was a person who felt some sort of need to continue to purchase pretty things to sit around or to have on hand to give as gifts. I was able to pretty much break that habit and learn to appreciate the things I already had and there was no longer a void that needed filling that buying new things had previously served to do.

As far as depression goes, I am one that believes that along the same lines as ButterflyChaser, our surroundings are usually indicative of what is going on in our minds. I have suffered in the past with depression and the feeling that I just cannot do this or do that. I find that forcing myself to do things usually works in my favor and the actual activity of doing something and accomplishing something has this way of lifting my mood. We can often act ourselves in to the mindset that we desire. After we practice something over and over it becomes instilled in us and no longer needs to be forced to do, but is something we want to do because it has brought us some sort of reward when we have done it in the past.

If you aren't being treated for depression, I encourage you to speak with your doctor about treating it. If that is left unchecked and untreated, there is probably very little hope of working yourself out of it, or working yourself out of messy surroundings. I also encourage you to go back through some of these topics here on Clean and Clutter Free and read what others have to say about the issue in the past. You might find some things that you can identify with and possibly find some solutions to whatever may be preventing you from moving forward.

I reached a point in my life some years back that I made up my mind that I did not like living the only life I have as a depressed mess. I work very hard to maintain a sense of joy in my life and do not take kindly to folks who may try to trip me up in my desire to be as happy as I can be. If I were to bore you all to death with the many crisis that I have survived over the years, you would see that I have been able on very many occasions to take crisis types of situations and eventually have them turn around and be useful in helping others down the road who might run in to some of the same living issues that I have successfully dealt with.

I read some where years and years ago that when faced with life's let downs, we have two choices. We can become bitter, or we can become better. I decided then and there, I wanted to be better because of the issues I had faced, versus being bitter that life had dealt me a hand that was less than some others may be dealt. Some folks seem to have just been dealt more than their share of let downs. In most situations after folks successfully deal with whatever their issues, they come out as stronger and much wiser folks. I am now able to look at folks who haven't really suffered much in this life and realize that in reality they are the losers because they have never been in situations which have called for them to introspect and work hard towards taking their lemons and making lemonade, and most of the folks are not folks that I would take advice from. I will take the word of someone who has struggled in life over someone who has learned something in a book. That is probably why support groups are such a useful tool to help folks dealing with addictions and such. It takes a person who has been where we are to know how to help us.

If you are still interested in trying to take better control of your surroundings Mustlovedogs, please allow us to help. Here is hoping that things are going much better for you since the first of the month. God Bless.

Ruby
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9218170

Summerkid has a GREAT suggestion - break the sorting into manageable time segments. If you are working in the yard and come in to cool off, have a box of clutter, a 'save' box and a garbage can - go through the clutter box a bit at a time - pretty soon, you will be compulsed to get back to your sorting - I know - been there. Being depressed disjoints our thought processes and everything becomes overwhelming - get someone, whom you trust and enjoy spending time with, and ask them to come and give you a hand - most people are more than willing.

After my husband passed away, and depression descended upon me, I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of anything, even though I was selling our 5,000 sq.ft. house and moving to a 1,000 sq. ft. house. Once I allowed my friends to come in and get me motivated, they had a difficult time dragging me away from it - I was on a roll - lol ! I gave away, donated, sold and tossed everything except what I HAD to have, that being important files, my clothes, etc.

MY rule, which I found difficult to stick with at times, was - if you haven't used it in a year, OUT IT GOES - of course, tax papers, bank papers, utility bills and such, are the exception - you must keep those for TEN YEARS! When I moved, I was able to move everything in a 16' Uhaul!

You can do it! Come back here every day and tell us what you accomplished - let us help.

VERY IMPORTANT:

Before you begin each day of sorting, make sure you have taken any anti-anxiety medication your doctor has prescribed for you - this will help you remain calm - this is a stressful chore.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9220331

MLD, how are things in your world today?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 29, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9222417

So very great to see you Kay. Haven't seen you for ages and ages. You too make some great points. It is always easier for me to listen to someone who has been there and done that versus a professional or someone who has no experience in dealing with whatever the issue at hand may be. It sounds as though you did a wonderful job in dowsizing upon your move.

We too moved from a 2,200 sq. ft. home in to one that is half that size. Upon moving in here both sets of our parents gave up housekeeping and we inherited a load of things from both of those places. Needless to say, we have lots of things that don't fit in to the smaller house. Over the six or so years we have been here I have gotten rid of things much the same as yourself...sold what I could and donated or gifted other things.

Like yourself I too experienced the do more, do more once actually getting started on the de-clutter process. I thought of the wasted time I had spend worrying over the overwhelming process but found that once getting started, I really did actually enjoy it and wanted to do more and more. Hope that you have been having a good summer. Check in more often, always good to hear from you.

Ruby
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9222452

Ruby, I am fine and happy to talk to you, too!

After I got started with my process, my whole mind-set changed. I would pick up an item, re-live the experience that caused me to have the item in the first place, then I disposed of it. There was laughter, tears, moments of silence as I remembered a particular incident associated with the item, then a peaceful feeling. The hardest part was getting rid of my husband's stuff - such a painful process.

My name is Jo aka Kayjones and I am just a few items away from being a hoarder! I THINK I am going to 'use that someday' and stick it in a corner - my corners are all full now. This is an illness that is untreatable. My son is a Psychologist and says, 'Mother, there is something lacking in your heart and you are trying to fill that void with stuff'. Yes, for one thing, I miss my husband and for another, I grew up having nothing, so now, when I can afford to buy NEW, nice stuff, I still buy second-hand - it's sad.

I have self-diagnosed OCD and it makes me mentally unhealthy at times. I MUST get started doing what I KNOW I must do - get rid of crap! Ruby, I may need you for this one, too.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 30, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9223544

Hey there Dear Kay - I will be the very first to admit to knowing that my self diagnosis is having an addictive personality. If one is good, ten is better. hahaha Anyway...once upon a time in my younger days, it was alcohol that I grew a love for until it turned on me and I had to attend twelve step meetings in order to learn to deal with my addiction and no longer have it control me. That has been many, many years ago and the drinking has been under control, don't even touch it these days...but I see the addictive personality traits every where I look. In my shopping, in my eating, in my anything I like, I want more, more, more.

In my life time of searching for happiness, fulfillment and joy, I have learned a lot about myself and how I tick. I think that one of the things that has really helped me along the way is the idea of admitting there is a problem. Without truthfully admitting to an issue, we have no hopes of dealing with and rectifying it. Upon the admission, we can then start taking the baby steps that will be needed in order to build a base upon which to stand. We didn't get in to any of these messes over night, and we won't get out of them overnight either. It is all a process. The process requires taking one step at a time to dig out.

What ever you have going on Kay, please allow me to help in any way that I can. Not sure what is happening with you currently, but if I can be of any help in any sort of way...please count me in. I know another thing about myself. I am much more willing to suffer a bit of uncomfortableness if I know that whatever the pain and suffering I may endure, will equip to me help others on down the road. I was stricken with health issues at a young age. I didn't understand it, nor did I like it. I cursed the heavens often, asking why me? I never got a real answer to why me, but I got a message of, why not me? Anyway...my pact with the heavens was that I would continue to endure whatever pain and suffering that I would face, but I wanted to know that it had counted for something, and the dues I had paid would some day allow a fellow sufferer's pain to be eased by my experience.

To me life wouldn't have a whole lot of meaning unless we can use our experiences to help someone else with it. That is why these twelve step programs work as well as they do. It takes another person who has done the same sorts of things to empathize and help give ideas for digging out whatever the mess a person is in.

As far as de-cluttering goes...I know that without the support and encouragement of others here on Dave's, I would have never taken the first step to begin the process had I not met the women here who supported and encouraged me through out the several month long process.

Anyway...let me know how I can be of help.

Ruby
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9223626

I remember having about 40 lb of documents, old checks and other paper that I did not wanted to trow in the trash. Finnily I have found a recicling place, where they have a large truck that shreads paper and you can stand there and watch it. They only charged me 18.00 for 40 lb, saved me a few weeks or months of shreading them my self. Now if I only can do the same thing with clothes, and fabricks for prodjects. Last week I have finnaly painted my kitchen, after being half way done for 2 years. So I am getting better, but it is not easy to get started.My son says I have to many projects started, learn to finish one before you start another. I guess when I get bored, I get into something new. Everybody, hang in ther, life is to short to stress over things, and it is all thing. Etelka This is my hang in there picture.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9223862

Oh, I LOVE that picture - truly is an inspiration!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 31, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9224762

I love it too. Thanks for sharing the picture and the words of wisdom with us Kiseta. Old documents is what I have been involved with for a while now too. I am doing it bit by bit and my trusty home shredder is working out for me. How cool that the company you used, allowed you to stay and watch the stuff be shredded. Very cool indeed.

Hopefully after I am finished going through years and years of my parents, and even my grand parents old papers, I will have learned to not leave the same sort of mess for my children to go through. I still have a bad tendency to hang on to too much, but am getting better than I was previously, so even a little progress encourages me to keep at it.

I am making very slow progress with all the things I still need to go through and sort, but a little is better than none I suppose. As you mentioned, it is really not worth stressing too much over, because it will be there when we are ready to face it. Here is wishing all reading a very enjoyable and productive day.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Ruby
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9224871

I throw paper stuff in my compost pile.
End of story.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9224901

I heard if you soak your documents in bleach water, it will bleach out the ink, we are not alowed to burn in the city property, so it is easier to shred.Etelka
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9224916

If anyone has trouble getting the de-cluttering process started, or keeping it going, RUBY is the lady to dmail - she is kind, gentle, a wonderful inspiration without preaching - give her a shout - she's been an inspiration to me for years!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 7, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9233048

Oh my gosh Kay...what lovely things you have said about me. Thank you so much...you are the one that I admire though.

With that being said, yesterday I felt the need to write my sister in law who is at the stage that she is admitting to being a hoarder, but has some health issues and other things going on that has thus far prevented her from really addressing the issue and getting started with it. I felt as though I needed to treat her with especially soft kid gloves, due to possibly creating hard feelings between her and my husband, her brother. Thankfully she wrote back and said that every thing I stated in my email to her were things she had already said to herself. She is thus far hindered by other things in her life taking priority. One thing I did point out to her is the matter of now facing some health issues, it is imperative that she begin addressing some of the issues of home maintenance that may be unsafe for her. I have not seen the condition of her home, but I have seen a lot of the hoarding shows on TV and realize that there are folks out there living in spaces that are very detrimental to their health and well being.

I know that having lived this long and having faced many challenges of my own over the years, that usually no amount of talking will make another person change. They have to get to the point where they are sick and tired of being sick and tired, and then and only then will they begin taking proper care of whatever the issue may be. I suppose what we can do as loved ones, is to make sure these folks know that we are available to help when the time comes that they are ready to take the bull by the horns and begin making necessary changes. As I am writing this, I am preaching to myself and some of the sticky issues I am encountering currently, nothing clutter related...but relationship related with my very immature 22 year old live at home son.

I can see the similarity in both of these issues...neither the sister in law nor the son have reached the point where they are pushed so very tightly in to the corner that making changes are necessary for them. It is very easy for me to see as the outsider, and I need to realize there have been many instances over the years that others have been thoroughly disgusted with some of my behaviors and have tried every thing from yelling, screaming and beating their head against the wall to being as loving as they could be towards me...but before I ever made any needed changes in my life...I had to reach a point where there was no way to go but up. As loved ones we worry if these folks will survive their lifestyles long enough to make the needed changes. That is the scary part. We could probably all tell stories of folks needing to make changes, who didn't make the changes, and there finally coming a point, where it is too late for a change due to death or disability becoming a factor.

Anyway...Kay you are super sweet. I know that you have experienced some very painful life issues but have worked very hard to overcome any obstacles that prevent you from living a joyful and full life. I suppose what I want both my sister in law and my son two know is that I will be there for them when they decide to make their changes, and I hope their desire to change won't be too late for them.

It is hard to sit back and watch life destroying behavior of our loved ones, but some times that is all we can do. It all boils down to we cannot change other people, but we can change ourselves and that usually results in the others in our lives also having to make changes in order to deal with the new us. Hope this makes sense and sorry for getting so off topic.

You folks all have a great day and to quote Nike...just do it. Every thing great starts with the first step.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 2, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9262334

Waving hello to all...

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9347154

waving back... better late than not! LOL

I've popped in on this forum from time to time, but I'm not just lurking this time. Both my home and my time have been increasingly cluttered, and it's definitely causing stress... definitely time to "do something." As luck may have it, I picked up a book last week when I stopped in at the pharmacy... the title caught my eye, and I thought, "this sounds like exactly the book my MIL (who was visiting for the holiday) would *like* to give me, LOL," and so I brought it home.

It was remarkably better & more helpful than I'd thought it would be. I figured it was yet another book of tips on getting organized written by a pretty organized person -- nope! The author, who apparently has written several books, has founded an organization called "Messies Anonymous." The book is Winning the Clutter War, by Sandra Felton, aka "The Organizer Lady."

Now I'm telling myself I'm not really procrastinating by finishing the book first -- I'm learning some new tools before jumping back into the fray.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 2, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9347594

Hi there Sweet Jill - Welcome aboard. Gosh girl...I have known that I have a tendency to gather and amass too many of anything that I like. At the moment I could easily get rid of three quarters of the items I own and never miss them. I give that number because this past year I have packed up basically the entire contents of our home, and stored the items while having carpeting installed throughout the home. I was okay in doing the packing up but lost steam as I started the unpacking. After a bit of unpacking, I said this is for the birds, the household is operating sufficiently without the unpacked things...so I will wait until after the holidays to finish unpacking...

That has now been a month or two. I am finding as I mentioned before...the house really doesn't need all the things that are currently in storage. I was thinking of going through every thing piece by piece and deciding whether to keep, sell or donate. As I think about it, it all seems like an awful lot of work. I did have a friend sell a few things on ebay for me but he is no longer selling. I spent a couple of years some years back running a couple of online shops and liked doing it but do not have the time these days to get involved in doing it. A friend may possibly take the items I won't bring back inside and hold a yard sale for me next year and we split the proceeds.

If the yard sale doesn't work out, or doesn't happen, I have yet another idea. Once again...this has been a habit of mine over the years...donate a huge amount of no longer wanted items to some charity. I heard of a new Veterans run organization that will come to your home and pick up house hold items and sell the for their profit. That idea is sounding better and better to me at this point.

Anyway...that is what is going with me...for you Jill...I do want to say that the Clean and Clutter Free message boards here have played a major part in any successes I have had with de-cluttering. Two years ago, it took some months to do...I did a major de-clutter which served to give my small home more space. I was able to make about one thousand dollars then by selling broken and damaged silver and gold jewelry and also sending some house hold items to an auction house the next town over. This particular auction house will often put two or three people's items together in order to have enough for a sale. I don't have enough that I want to go to have a whole auction myself, but piggy backing on the other auctions has been another way for me to rid myself of things and to make a bit of sponce while doing so.

I encourage you to yes finish your book...knowledge is power...stay in touch with the folks here and see you lighten your load a bit, slowly but surely. Making up your mind to take the first step in decluttering is probably the hardest thing. After you start, if you are like me, it will become a challenge and a game at the same time while wanting to downsize more and more. Please ask any sorts of questions you have...some one will eventually come around and see your post and respond. I know that without the support I found here a few years ago that I would have never been able to stay on top of things as well as I did.

I encourage you when you have some free time to re-read some of the older posts here. The organizing of a home is an on going battle, but so rewarding. I have visited your home and know that you take pride in it. It is lovely from my point of view. I know that you probably see things that a visitor doesn't see and want to feel more in control of your surroundings. Keeping at the down sizing process is a one day at a time deal, a little bit at a time adds up to big rewards.

Please know that I am available with any questions you might have. I and many others here are with you and want to support and encourage you as you go through the process. There are just so many rewards to taking control of our environments. When I first began the de-clutter process and was in to it a bit, I literally felt as though my surroundings had a much lighter feel about them. I can't explain it but with getting rid of clutter areas, the house seemed to shine brighter and be a much more pleasant place to be.

Yes, once again have written a book. To wrap up...know that we will be rooting you on. You can do it!!!!!

Ruby

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9347938

Thanks, Ruby! Yes, I'm finding lots of encouragement & ideas in the older threads here. I mostly do OK with the "working areas" of the house, but I'm really running out of excuses for all the stuff that's piled up in corners, in the garage, well, pretty much everywhere that doesn't get daily traffic (and some places that do). I've been making progress, but I need to do more, and more systematically.

Your boxes remind me of what this author calls the "Mt. Vesuvius Method," for when things are really in a bad way. Similar things get piled and boxed, with no scrutinizing and no keep/donate/toss decisions except for obvious junk. Write the contents on the box, close it up, and then choose a date to also write on the box -- 2 months from now, 1 year from now, 5 years, whatever makes you comfortable. If you miss any item, you can retrieve it from its storage box. If you wish to sort through the box before the date, that's OK (I think; at least it makes sense to me, although I can't remember right now what she said). But, by the date you wrote on the box, you take the box and whatever remains inside it, WITHOUT OPENING IT, and either donate it or toss it.

I think I need to pack up some boxes like that, for all the things where I don't have an instant "keep or toss" decision. It seems like a good way to deal with "maybe" items, and it takes some of the stress away from trying to decide the fate of every item as you go.

Remember to make sure you take a tax deduction for your donations, too. Often, that ends up being more $ (and easier too) than you'd realize from selling at a garage sale.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9351447

Hi Jill! Would you please say hello to bluekat for me? I owe her 40 bucks, wonder whether she remembers that.

Ruby, I think that having to clear out for the carpet is the best thing that could have happened to you!

Like Ruby, I am having trouble imagining how Critter could be anything other than chipper & on top of everything. But for sure your life has been full & eventful the last couple of years. Do you think it would be helpful to hire someone to come help you out once a week, even temporarily, just to get over this speed bump? I found a wonderful woman named Becca on craigslist who works for 10 bucks an hour & has been an absolute life-saver for me.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9351901

I haven't seen Bluekat in a while... miss her!

It's more than just a speed bump, I'm afraid... I've always had a tendency toward clutter, and I've had plenty of excuses to not quite get to things these past few years. We're no longer in any sort of "crisis mode," so it's time to deal with it. It's hard to not just feel overwhelmed by all the things that have been left undone, but it's like eating that elephant, one bite at a time. LOL I think I spend a lot of my time sort of spinning my wheels, so I need a more orderly approach to dealing with (and reducing!) the "stuff" in the house as well as a more organized approach to time management. I want to be making progress, not just treading water. When I get part of the house to a "good enough" place, it seems to re-clutter pretty quickly, so I think I need to try to set my sights higher, going beyond "good enough for now" to "this is how it should look!" and maybe then I can do better about keeping it looking that way.

The book has already been a help, because of certain phrases that stick in my head. "If it will take less than 30 seconds, just do it." That's probably so obvious to most people, but I can procrastinate for days about the simplest things, like noticing something out on the counter than needs to be put away... but since I'm "not cleaning up" right then and busy with something else, I don't do anything about it...

I think I tend to make long lists in my head of little things that I notice that need to be attended to, when it would be far simpler to just DO the little things as I come across them. "Housekeeping is a marathon, not a sprint." A lot of "picking up" around here is done in a huge rush the morning before the cleaners come. Stress stress, and it doesn't need to be. (I have a friend who comes every other week to do the "heavy" cleaning.)

I did get the back bedroom reorganized enough to fit the twin bed back in, with enough room (just!) to pull out the trundle when we need a 2nd guest room. That's where arts & crafts & sewing stuff "lives," and I haven't done any sewing since making baby blankets (she's 3 now), partly because I've had lots of other projects but also partly because my sewing machine hasn't even been visible! Since I have lot of craft stuff that I've been trying to sort (and keep sorted) into drawers, I think I need to actually put LABELS on the drawers so I can quickly see what should go where... I realized the other day that I had to open 5 drawers in 2 different storage dressers before remembering just where I was intending to keep colored pencils now. LOL

I also tackled the pantry cupboards just before Thanksgiving -- big job, but very worthwhile. Again, though, I changed my previous "system" just enough that I think I need SIGNS on the shelves... and i'm not sure i'd have thought of that if I hadn't read the suggestion in that same book. I put labels on the kitchen cupboards when we first moved in, and that was so helpful, you'd think I'd remember a good trick like that! Sometimes the simple things are the things we just don't think of, though. That's why this forum is good -- I get ideas from what other people have done, and I don't feel like I have to re-invent the wheel. :-)

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9352364

Critter, the single best thing I've learned came from the Flylady: "You can do anything for 15 minutes!"
Set that timer & work on whatever you feel like. I've been amazed when tasks that seemed like they would take forever would clock in at, like, 7 minutes!
And 15 minutes every day adds up. I look forward to it now, weirdly.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9352712

You're right! I did a couple of things that way this morning, but I like your idea of actually setting a timer... knowing you have an "out" when the bell goes "ding" makes you more likely to actually start in on something!

Another suggestion I put to use this afternoon... Fill a box. Take it to the car. Actually, the suggestion said to use a medium sized wastepaper basket to gather things (whether trash or donations), then take the bag out, but I've got plenty of boxes, so I'm using them to round up donated items. One box a day, or even a couple boxes a week... it'll add up! I've taken a couple of carloads to Goodwill already, but there's more that needs to go.

Actually, having "plenty of boxes" was contributing to the clutter... it's handy to have a couple of smaller and larger boxes around for things that might need to be stored or mailed or whatnot... but the box saving habit can get out of hand pretty quickly. Jim broke down a big stack of boxes for me last week & hauled them to the curb on recycling day, and I still have plenty for boxing up "stuff."

I'm trying to adjust the way I see things. I think we were in "survival mode" for so long here (some family health issues, then a baby, then my treatment for breast cancer) that I learned to just "not see" a lot of things -- a dropped piece of paper, a pile of stuff accumulating in a corner. You can only do what you can do, and if you let all the undone stuff get on your nerves, then you just add stress to all the rest of it... But, thankfully, we're no longer in that mode... I just have to shift back into a more normal gear of staying on top of little things. Clear surfaces! That's my goal.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9353089

Whoa. You have dialed it up a notch, for sure. Sounds as if you have 100% of your energy back.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 15, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9358984

Hi Gals - first off Jill, way to go on already getting some boxes of things gone. Yep, that is the way you eat an elephant...one bite at a time. Since this de-cluttering and organizing bit is so near and dear to my heart, I always love to read what folks are doing and what they have found successful. I am officially waiting until after the holidays to do anything major, but gee whiz folks, I have a lot to do. Summer, you are correct on the carpeting being a blessing in terms of having to face the extent of my hoarding issues. There, I said it...I actually called it what it was instead of sugar coating it and calling it clutter. Hoarding...I don't know, I know that I come by it honestly having been raised by depression era parents who saved and re-used every thing. Just this week I have been reminded how my clutter amasses as I have run out of a few food stuffs and have found myself washing the glass bottles and plastic containers to re-use. I do often re-use the plastic containers and some times even use the bottles...the question is...just how many of each do I need?

We too have a lot going on here currently. My mother-in-law is in the dieing process and that is stressful on us. My daughter in law's car was unusable for a few weeks and she used mine, leaving me without a way to go any where and it has just been an all around stressful time. I have cut back on how many Christmas decorations I put out this year. I always have a small tree but this year I have a mini-tree for sure. The very small tree is fiber optic and no need for decorations, so a win win situation there. I have gift shopped for some months as far as my grand children and some other children are concerned, so no mad rush on that. Most gifts for others, I ordered on line. I have one more trip to the grocery store and Dollar Tree store and then I am officially done as far as gifts are concerned.

I guess you would say that I have cut back all the way around this year and that has been my goal for some years. I tend to become stressed, then ill and usually can be found with a bad case of the bah humbugs during the holidays. I did react a bit physically the week of Thanksgiving and hope that Christmas day doesn't find me the same way. I am taking small steps to prevent it.

Anyway...even though while on the subject of clutter this morning, part of me is beating myself up due to having so much more to do, and not being further along than I am, but at the same time I am seeing evidence of a bit of growth since becoming interested in trying to have my environment be more pleasing to me. Yes, I still have loads to get rid of but not as much as two years ago...yes, I am being a bit less demanding on myself as far as decorating and gift giving goes. Small steps for sure, but in the right direction at least.

As always, great to hear from both critter and summer. Hope you lady's are enjoying the weekend and also hope that the holidays are extra joyful for you this year. I will definitely be needing your input and support after the first of the year. Thank you in advance.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9359474

Beating yourself up is never a good use of time & energy. For me, the "progress" I've made the past few weeks has been as much about adjusting some inner attitudes & expectations as about actual visible progress. I'm feeling a lot less stressed, since I feel like I'm putting together some tools for dealing with the things that were making me feel overwhelmed. Stress does not equal motivation! You'd think it would, but it doesn't. When I start to get the most stressed about clutter & housekeeping chores is when I'm usually the least productive... I spend a lot of time spinning my wheels, figuring out what to tackle first, or doing little bits of everything that needs attention and then wondering where my time went.

As you enjoy your home over the holidays, Ruby, see if you can "choose" some specific items from your boxes, things you know you've stored away and can visualize, and decide where to place them in your new decor. Make a list of what will put into various areas, and try to keep the items fairly few in number. Then, when you start actually unpacking a box, you won't be trying to find "a good place" for everything in it, you'll be looking for those really special items you want to display. I'm not saying never put anything out that wasn't on your list, just work from more of a standpoint of how you'd like to decorate a particular room, not from a standpoint of finding a place for every "favorite" thing you own.

I think I'm going to have an easier time if i don't try to get rid of all my "undisplayed extras" at once. I might want to change things around once in a while, either seasonally or just because. But I'm going to get rid of things that just won't make it onto the "short lists" of what I want to have out. No matter how neat-o or pretty or amusing or useful some things are, they're just not a good "fit" if I can usually find something else I'd choose to have out instead. If I can do some sorting before storing, better yet, and I'm not going to put any box into storage without 1. labeling it and 2. knowing what's in it and 3. labeling it. LOL

That's my plan, anyway, as it's evolved from my thinking over the various ideas in the book that's been inspiring me, as well as the ideas I'm getting from you all. We'll see how it goes.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 22, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9364640

Hi There Sweet Jill - There you go...label, label and label again. Nothing like having to waste time opening ten bins when if it were labeled properly, you would only have to open one bin to find what you are looking for. John is big on telling me to label things better. There are couple of bins that I have packed away that I did an inventory on a sheet of paper to the contents of the bin and laid it on top of the items. When I opened the bin, I could look at the paper and know exactly what was in there. That was definitely helpful. When I undertake another major de-clutter I plan to do this with all the things I put in storage.

I truly identify with the letting the stress get to me and wear myself out emotionally before I am able to accomplish anything physically. I worried and stewed for years over the condition of our spare bedroom where it seemed to be a storage area for all miscelleaneous things that made their way in to the house. It bothered me terribly. I also came up with a million excuses to not get started on de-cluttering and organizing it too. When I finally ran out of excuses is when I had to throw in the towel and get started, one item at a time.

I must admit that this de-cluttering, getting rid of collectibles or cool things has been an ongoing problem ever since I sat up housekeeping many, many years ago...almost forty years now. I can recall numerous times and the hours spent going through items that have no use for me or my household and either holding a yard sale or donating or selling some of the items. It has actually taken on a life of its own.

I just read on another clutter free thread the answer to this dilemma, but don't know if I am there yet. Sharon from Vegas started her post by saying that she has been able to stop purchasing other than what she absolutely has to have. Again, a couple of years ago I was able to do that to an extent but have allowed myself to let the shopping tendencies creep back in again...and what does that mean? I am continuing to deal with too much stuff!!! I often find myself making judgments against others who I claim to have more money than they do sense...and I guess I am too guilty of the very same thing, though I know that I don't have a lot of extra cash, I just often can't resist many of the pretties on the shelves out there who seem to be calling my name.

Anyway...the clutter and hoarding tendencies seem to be an epidemic for some years now. Sure are a lot of professionals whose jobs are to help the afflicted handle these issues. How ironic that one of America's greatest issues is the issue of having too much stuff. There are those, even people in our country, who would believe themselves to be rich if they owned one tenth of the things causing us distress...our clutter.

Anyway...Merry Christmas to one and all. I am looking forward to getting down to the nitty gritty after the holidays and once again ridding my surroundings of no longer useful stuff. Please wish me luck.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9367501

Good luck, Ruby! Those Christmas season sales are an additional temptation to get things you don't really need that are not only calling your name but are such a bargain as well! I had lots of fun shopping for friends & family this year, and I tried not to stash extra gift items without knowing exactly who/when I was saving them for... I think I have birthday gifts set aside for all our nieces & nephews for the coming year, but I made a list of what's in the trunk, and I think I'm also going to put a note on my calender so I know I've shopped for that birthday already.

I'm glad we can encourage & help each other!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9367702

The calendar is a good idea, critter. I have a small box of cool little gifts for emergencies -- Jack is great for springing friend & family occasions on me the night before. And I will stock up on special ornaments as hostess gifts. But it's just one box, so I don't see it as clutter.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9367763

well, my "gift trunk" had started spilling over into the closet and under the guest bed, so I needed a bit of a different approach there, also. and yes, having a few cool gifts on hand is really useful... nothing like a quick "shopping trip" to the guest bedroom closet!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 7, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9378159

Raising hand admitting to being able to shop at home myself too. I guess I really came upon the idea when we had to put my elderly mother in a nursing facility some years ago. When going through her home I found a dresser drawer full of gifts that she must have bought just to have on hand if needed. I decided that was a good idea.

I didn't make it out to any after holiday sales this year...well, did make it out but the store was pretty much sold out by the time I got there. I did pick up a few little things that will be stocking stuffers next year for the kiddies, but all the gift wrap at the store I visited was gone. Right now the only hint of the holidays still here is a box of food stuffs I bought for several neighbors who had been especially kind to us this year. I over bought but am enjoying the flavored coffees and the cookies that are still here.

I am now officially in the time zone I sat up for myself as far as starting a major de-clutter again. Won't get any thing done today or tomorrow, but maybe later in the week I can get started. I still have gobs of bins to go through and see what will stay here and what will go. At least half the work is already done due to being packed up already...now to just sort.

Thanks to all reading and active on this list. I always needs the input and advice from others who are facing the same sort of issues. Jill, I am especially thrilled to see you post here when you do. Here is wishing us all good success in the coming year.

Ruby
ayesha_irshad

January 8, 2013
2:08 AM

Post #9378821

the easiest way to de-clutter your home is to never leave any room without empty hands... take the items from room that in no more needed there and put it on the right place instantly... it will not pile up your work.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9379054

That's a great tip!

I especially try never to go upstairs or down to the basement empty-handed... I have a basket at the base of the steps and by the basement door where I can put things that need to go up or down -- a definite time-saver, as long as I don't let the basket overflow!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 9, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9379956

Yes, a truly great tip. I am queen of multi-tasking. Always seem to have three things going on at once. Here is hoping that all reading are having a productive day.

Ruby
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9380488

Hi Ruby, I found this joke for ADD people, I hope you find it funny. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 10, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9380894

LOL Kiseta

Thank you!!! That's me! Now I know what my problem is...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 1, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9435881

Oh yeah, I can definitely relate to the counting the sheep and a million other thoughts enter my mind. Cute, thanks for posting kiseta. Please forgive me for being missing in action so much recently. I am hoping to use some time this weekend to catch up on Dave's threads which I haven't read for some months now. For a bit over a month I have been involved in yet another de-clutter. I found an organization who will pick up items at my home for donation and I find that so much easier than packing things up and taking elsewhere...especially when there is a lot of stuff. Last month the charity got a pretty large haul from here. They are due here again next week...I don't have as many things together this time but may have some time this weekend to look through some more storage bins and see what else can go.

I do know that I am planning to have some work done on the house again...going to have the inside painted and I want to set things back up a lot more in a minimalist style after the paint than I currently have. It is taking some time, but I am finally tiring of some of the decor I have which sometimes just seems to be dust collectors. I realize as I pack some things away that I am still holing tight to some things that at some point will probably be donated anyway. I plan to try selling some items before donating, so need to find the time and energy to do that. After trying to sell, donate it will be. Still have a lot more stuff than I have storage space. One step at a time is the name of the game...

Hope that everyone is enjoying a great weekend. Almost spring folks...back outside soon.

Ruby

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9442097

I never saw MLD's post again? what happened to her in all this ????
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 9, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9443838

Hi Depsi, this is not the first thread like this one. I have seen several over the years I have been here. My guess is that folks get to a point where they feel some sort of desperation about their situations and decide to write for help. Then...something or the other comes along and their desire to de-clutter or do whatever the original issue was gets pushed to the side. Heck, I know that I often lose track of posts I have made and some times great lengths of time will pass and then I will get a notification that someone has read and commented on my original post that I had forgotten about.

Some of us are still here waiting to be of any assistance we can be. I know that I hung around and read the threads here on de-cluttering for several years before I actually got down to the nitty gritty and started an actual de-clutter. It is all a process and takes some longer than others to do...I admit to being one who has been really slow about it.

Hope that things in your life and home are going well. Take good care and thanks for your concern.

Ruby

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9444820

Hi Ruby, you're a dear to answer...Thank you...just seemed funny that she starts such an interesting topic and gets all this fabulous support but never says another word...A friend of mine that is the art teacher at our local high school led a retreat this past year up at St. Gertrude's Monastery...it was a 3 day stay titled "Finding Your Sacred Space"...OHMY, was it wonderful !! she came over to my house to take snapshots of my surroundings to be used as examples during the retreat...she was overwhelmed by all the chaos in my sewing room and guest room, she asked me if she could come over and help me organize when we got home...it embarrassed me terribly and really made me think...so I just started in & sorted, organized my craft supplies from my quilting stash, and just generally made my area look sparkling and inviting...when I told her all was well and she would be proud of me she asked to come see it...finally yesterday she was able to make it and she was very satisfied with what I took away from her lessons...I was just blown away...she had lunch here and shared some early drawings she's done over the years...what a wonderful gift her being here was !!!! so now I've got everything laid out and ready for action & I feel numb and hesitant...scared to start anywhere...
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9445069

You'll get used to it, Dep. I am a recently reformed slob & now find that I can barely function unless all sparkles. I am moving from Oregon back to Illinois this spring or summer to be with my guy & will be returning to the art fair circuit so as to contribute something to the household finances. It's been 10 years since I actively sold my quilts so very little has gotten finished (so much more fun to start something anew!). But my newly decluttered spaces are allowing me the mental & physical space to become a "finisher," and I'm knocking out a quilt every couple of days. I'm in Chicago right now & brought a massive suitcase packed with 20 quilts, some of them as big as 6x7 feet!

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9445643

Wow, Kid...that's an accomplishment of wonder !!!!! I'm working on it !!!!! Thanks for the words of encouragement !!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 14, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9449027

Wow you two...I feel like a slob now...hahaha...Depsi, what is the hesitation to start, if you don't mind saying? Great work on getting the craft and sewing area in good condition...I know you were proud to show the friend. What sorts of things did she teach at the retreat? I love hearing of new ways to handle issues...sounds like something that would be of interest for me to participate in. I know it was certainly beneficial to you. Great news!!!

Summer, good to hear from you. I had wondered about you being quiet for some time now. Your upcoming move sounds good. I know you have struggled with the moving decision for some time now. I am happy for you. Good luck with the arts circuit selling...I am sure you will do well. I love quilts but have never really given much thought to trying to make one. I am the worst seamstress in the world and don't have the required patience it takes to work on something of that magnitude. Keep us updated on your move and here is wishing you the best of luck with it going smoothly for you. Oh yeah, love the term "reformed slob" and hope I can someday claim the same for myself...

As we head in to the weekend, I hope it is a good one for all.

Ruby

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9534029

i love reading these threads. even though you guys haven't been by it in weeks and months...
have met so many nice people in this forum; would love to meet more!

nice to know we're not alone, isn't it?
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9539040

Hello to everyone. I haven't been to clutter-free forum in a long time, but am in dire need of some inspiration to organize and pitch things, so here I am. Howdy!! Already I've read some good ideas on this forum to help get past inertia. Part of my problem is I have been working full time while also going to college half time on-line for the last 2 years, and everything has become huge overwhelming piles of stuff and paper, not to mention the neglected weed-ridden garden...I hardly know where to start. So I took summer's idea, set the time for 15 minutes, and organized the pots and pans. How I manage to get lids that have no pots, I'll never quite understand, but every time I do this there are one or two wayward, fairly useless pieces of kitchenware that don't belong to anything. Anyway, now every pan has a place with its lid on it, rather than being in an unmatched jumble. It helped that my husband made a couple of slide-out shelves next to the stove where the broken down dishwasher used to be. It's nice to have the pans right where they will be used.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2013
10:21 PM

Post #9539062

hi Holly! welcome!!
i haven't been on this forum long, but there are a lot of great people here, with a lot of good ideas, funny stories, and best of all: we can ALL RELATE!!

when i lived in my last house, i had done such a good job decluttering. FELT SO GOOD!!
fast forward to 2006: moved to this house to be with my true soul mate. long story short: his stuff, his mom's stuff, my stuff, my mom's stuff, stuff from a couple of ex's each... you get the picture. his mom lived with us, so not like i could do anything with her stuff. my mom had passed away. MOST of the stuff i got from MY mom is in PAID STORAGE!! ugh. anyway...
fast forward to 2008: 2 days before we got married, his mom had a stroke. had to take care of her while my husband worked (and i worked too). until the one day his sister decided i wasn't doing a good enough job and moved their mom up to Ft. Worth. forgive me for being pissed, but i told her "fine. take her. take all her crap too!" only a small amount remains, which now the oldest sister says she wants, but has yet to come get it.

fast forward again... so I've been in this house now for almost seven years. crap has not stopped piling up. i feel like I've been either so overwhelmed that i'm paralyzed, or i'm taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. hadn't been able to get anywhere. i won't even go into how bad it had gotten (you can read my introduction on the "4 Obstacles to Decluttering & How to Beat Them" thread)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/cleaning/#ixzz2UkWCoe8M

FINALLY, my husband is starting to SEE the clutter and the madness I've been trying to manage. now that he's on board (though rarely home b/c he's a truck driver), at least i have his support, and he's not fighting me every step of the way (another obstacle i had been facing--see #4).

My Best Advice? START SMALL. BABY STEPS. Get one drawer, cabinet, closet, room, whatever, DECLUTTERED, and KEEP it that way.

If I had my own show (lol j/k), I'd say "Arm yourself with the following: economy size box of big black bags, boxes to store things, packing tape, black marker (or other means of labeling boxes), shoe boxes (cardboard or plastic), music of your choice that inspires you."

Holly, you have stumbled on a good group of like-minded people, who stood staring at their crap too, who have succeeded in tackling all sizes of jobs, still struggle, get back up, and are still committed to conquering clutter! JOIN US!! *smile*

you can do this. I've got a couple of areas that make me hyperventilate. i have recently decided to go in, take one or two things out, and shut the door again. i simply can't handle it right now. i can't tackle it. it's too much. soooooo... one or two things at a time seems small, but one day that'll be something bigger, then something bigger than that. then one day i won't hyperventilate when i go in. you get it.

i'll shut up now... LOL ask and we will offer suggestions. either way, just decide on ONE corner, one drawer, etc. and do it. i hope this helps some...
you have already got a GREAT start on your kitchen cabinet there. WAY TO GO!!!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

May 30, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9539292

Welcome MauryHillFarm...

Just re-read what Cajun said - I have to agree with it all. Like life, we have to have both big goals and little goals. The little goals give us victory and achievement which spurs us on with courage to tackle the bigger goals. So yeah - don't look at the whole picture - break it down to manageable/achievable bites. Maybe a room? Too much? Then take a corner of the room. Still too much? Take a table top or a drawer in a dresser. Think about a dresser... If you cleaned out one drawer each day and then the top when you were done, it would be finished in a week. That's how I have had to do things because the big picture makes me freeze and say I don't know what to do, which inevitably gets nothing done. But one little thing decluttered and cleaned - then keep it done as you do the next, and before long you will see progress.

Good luck and know we are all the same or we wouldn't be here. We cheer each other on and it helps!! So great job on the pots and pans!! Now, whatcha gopnna do next?

Carole - on a side note...with what you said about the older sister...If it were me, I'd pack up the rest of the stuff of his mother's (as long as DH didn't want it) and take it to her. I'd be real nice and sweet and say "I had to come up to Ft. Worth and since you wanted this stuff I thought I'd save you the trip and drop it off...I can't stay I have to be some place...Take care...Buh-bye" and go back home. You're rid of stuff but you've also lightened the stuff causing frustration. I know it would take literally all day for the round trip but it would be so worth it!

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9540130

Debbie, I love your idea!! did you hear me laugh out loud? lol!! the older sister lives near Baton Rouge. I could use the excuse that I wanted to see her new house. but I would feel guilty if I didn't offer to help her unpack what she has now. I know she's gotta be swamped. and maybe even overwhelmed. this is the sister in law (in our other thread) that (I think?) I said was in the process of selling her house, so put about 50% of their stuff in storage b/c their house had to be completely clutter free to be sold. can you imagine?? they sold their house fairly quickly and moved to their new one just recently. she also has my MIL to care for (in the nursing home) as much as she can, but she also works. I like your idea, but I think I might invite her over here, ask her to once again go thru the stuff we found, and I will offer to donate what she no longer wants. I will bet big money she will see it all differently now, after the move and decluttering.

Holly, on our other thread ~ and BTW, please come join us ~ there are a lot of great ideas and tips. one thing that I learned there that's helped me a lot... and this is from Debbie (lovestopaint):

Quoting:Before I started doing that I would be in a room too long trying to figure out WHAT to do. Now I take a cup of coffee, tea or whatever and walk into whatever room I am working on, and just look around while I'm drinking my coffee. I touch nothing, but I visually see what needs to be done. Later when I actually go to work in that room things move so much quicker because I have already seen what needs to be done. So yeah it helps my focus. Maybe it will help you and others...or I'm just nutso and it only helps me. LOL That's also possible.

that's kind of what I did by just looking a that one room I mentioned above. I posted it, then looked at the picture instead of the room and did just that. (ok I still haven't actually started the project, but I DO have a plan!)

and something that's helped me and my BFF on our "Decluttered House in 2013" Project *smile*
we take a picture of the project at hand and send it to each other (or you could post on this forum with friends).
then we get busy working on it, and it's like it's tasking us until we can hurry and show off the finished, uncluttered project (drawer, closet, room). you get it, i'm sure.

This message was edited May 30, 2013 8:10 PM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 31, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9540626

Howdy gals - Good to have you Holly. We have another Holly who chats here too. As Carole and Debbie said, you are in good company and we do understand. A couple of years ago I was able to go through and do what I regarded at the time a major de-clutter...since then things have multiplied like baby rabbits it seems. Anyway...a couple of years later I am still at this process which for someone like myself who loves acquiring things and having collections, I believe I will always have an issue with keeping order in my surroundings and need to be ever diligent about keeping things at a manageable level...

Back during the winter I once again found myself wanting to do some downsizing of belongings. I spent a couple of months going through packed up bins and closets and had quite a few items that I sent for donation. About the same time I was offered an opportunity to go in to helping a friend rent a space in an Antiques shop. I had no problem at all filling up the small space in the store and began to think of doing things along the selling end in a bigger way...so, some months later, my friend and I now have a years rental agreement on a building located on a very heavily traveled area the next county over...talk about slow going...so much to tend to before we can get up and running...needless to say, most of my time and energy over the past month or so has been used getting things ready to open our doors for an Emporium where will be selling quite an assortment of a little bit of everything.

Neither my friend or I will have any problem stocking the shop originally from items we have acquired over the years, but are things we don't currently use or have a need for...they sure were tempting when we bought them...oh yeah, must add a tidbit about de-cluttering and buying tendencies...I know that a few years ago when doing a major de-clutter I found that one thing that would help me tremendously in keeping things at minimal level was to STOP SHOPPING!!! I was quite successful for a while with it. My down fall are dollar stores...over the years I have found so many great deals in them and being someone with an addictive personality to begin with, I didn't usually just purchase one of any item, but I always purchased several...thus, lots of brand new items sitting here, there and everywhere...Stop and think before continuing to bring things in to your home.

The reading and research I did on de-cluttering last winter made me realize that I really needed to have a vision of what I wanted my surroundings to eventually look like...kind of, if I don't know where I am going, will I know when I get there? hahaha Anyway, as I am once again involved in down sizing some belongings, I keep the vision of a new and more minimalist style of decor for my home...For anyone visiting currently you would see almost every wall space has something hanging on it...I jokingly refer to it as wall jewelry. Also pretty much every flat surface has things sitting on it...I hope to eventually have a place where things look a bit more clean and tidy. I feel that the less there is to look at in here, the more I will enjoy what I actually leave in. So ladies, have a vision of what you want things to be after your de-cluttering is done. That too will help motivate on days when motivation is running low...

Also, stay in touch with others in this group. I know for certain that I would have never accomplished what I did some years back had it not been for others here cheering and encouraging me on. So, I will close with my wish for all to have a very productive next few days...Easy Does It and all that jazz...take care everyone and thanks for allowing me to join in with my ramblings...

Ruby
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2013
11:13 PM

Post #9541563

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts. It does help to know I am not alone in facing clutter. My relatives are visiting this weekend, so I had to clear the guest bedroom of piles of notebooks full of schoolwork, so they will be able to walk in. I don't count that as decluttering though, since all I did was pile it up in another location. It really is nice to go into the kitchen and see a cleaner and organized counter. I think my goal right now is to pick one area to work on every weekend, starting with things I find easier to think about and working up to the paperwork and filing. which is harder for me to deal with and less visual in seeing progress. There are indeed certain areas I have to curb acquiring things I don't yet have a place for, one being garden plants and the other being books and supplies for my first grade classroom. I haven't even told you about the de-cluttering I need to do there. Then again, when I want to do a collage project with the kids, I have everything I need... beads, buttons, ribbons and lace, old magazines, yarn, seashells...you name it, I've got it.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

June 1, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9541780

You are not alone sister - we're all here because we are buried in our own stuff - or are still working our way through it . :-) So you are among people who understand, sympathize and empathize.

Paperwork is my worst nightmare too. But I have found a way to start getting through that which makes it a little more bearable... Mail - when I get it, I go through it right then - junk... to the recycle can, bills... I write a check and it's ready to go out the next day. Never have a late payment that way. The only thing I don't eliminate right then, is the grocery store sale papers. They go to my chair because I comb through them all and make lists of what I need from what is on sale for 1/2 price or better. I then toss the sale papers and stick the list on the truck's console so when I am out I might stop at 1 or more of those stores grabbing those items. There is one store that is generally cheaper on everything else so if there are everyday items needed, I buy them there.

This may not be your case, but where I live, it is very populated. We have 8 or so different grocery store chains and a wholesale club within 5 miles of my house. There are even more within a 10 mile zone so sales of different items are easy to fiind and I always save 50-67% off my grocery bill doing this. It doesn't take long to go through the papers because I always have backstock of storeable foods. I am only looking for items on sale half-price or cheaper to restock what I have, which I date and then rotate items when I bring them home. I already know if I need milk, bread, eggs, salad stuff etc.

Anyway, this job and all other paperwork accumlated through the years has been diminishing by making it my nighttime job, when I might sit down in front of the TV for a couple hours. TV seems so lame and it only takes a few brain cells and an occasional glance to follow a show, so I 'watch" TV while I go through papers. I will have a trash can full by nights end. If there are things to file I do so when I get up. I had a lot of my own back up with many family health crisis' for many years. When Mom died, I inherited all hers to go through too because Dad wanted them out of his house. I honestly boxed up and brought home 25-30 good sized boxes of paperwork she had stacked everywhere. So yeah I know paper and HATE it! But I see light at the end of the tunnel as it is all leaving here, albeit slowly.

For class craft projects - I would store them in your classroom!! If they don't allow that at school, then I would get a plastic bin to put that stuff in. That would be for two reasons - one, it puts it all together, keeps it nice and clean but two, and more importantly, if it is in a plastic bin, it's ready to tote to school when needed. No hunting and gathering for the stuff required, when the project time comes along. Better yet - get rid of the crap and make it THEIR project to gather and make things that matter to them. That's what we did as kids. No teacher I ever had furninshed everything. We got some colored paper and that tasty glue from school, LOL, but collages were our work. I think that was the point, to make it out of things that we liked not just a pile of stuff already chosen. I don't mean to sound sarcastic. I know school is not what it used to be, but in a way, by furnishing the items for them to use, you do limit their vision. (plus you have to gather and keep it). So it's just some thoughts you might find useful... or worthless - but it's what comes to my mind when I think back at the collages I did in school.
Debbie

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9541954

mauryhillfarm wrote:
I think my goal right now is to pick one area to work on every weekend, starting with things I find easier to think about and working up to the paperwork and filing. which is harder for me to deal with and less visual in seeing progress.

OH how i can relate to this!! proud of the goal you have set. that should work well for you.
paper is one of my biggest "challenges" ~ i sit and stare at it, wondering if it's ok to throw any of it away.
and if not, what do i do with it? just put it back in this box?

Magazines drive me crazy. My sweet sister, who has very little in the way of disposable income, bought me a 2-year subscription to Food Network. very thoughtful, although i've been on a diet most of my adult life. that's ok. it's really the thought. however, the publisher (?) has decided they would be generous and also send me, completely unsolicited, Family Circle, Every Day (Rachel Ray, which i do like), COSMOPOLITAN (which i haven't bought since i was in my 20s), PARENTS magazine (did i mention my kids are GROWN? i am a GRANDMA!!), Reader's Digest, and a couple of others. Seriously???? i have no need, nor any desire, to sit down and read all these. we do have an entire cubicle at work that we all bring our unwanted magazines, which is piling up to the point it's probably a fire hazard. either way, eventually someone will take them to the hospital a few blocks away. thank goodness. so i'm down to only keeping the Every Day & Food Network issues i really think i will utilize. i store them in those magazine boxes. one of my sweet male coworkers (who has virtually NO disposable income) loves the Reader's Digest, so i feel like i'm helping him too.

having said all that... i did my little deal last night and went into that black hole bedroom and took out 2-3 things, turned the light off and shut the door.
i'm working my butt off today b/c my son and family will be here tonight and tomorrow (already said, i know). but i realized i just want them to come home to a nice place, get a good feeling when they come home. "wow, it looks so good. i love coming here." you know? wonder if our kids and grandkids know what we put into their visits?
also, Tilly asked me if Kayla's BFF could come too. i immediately responded "sure!!" now, after i mow today, she and her BFF can maybe play outside and even walk around and see more of Mimi and Pawpaw's place.

ok, miles to go before i sleep. hope you're all having a great day!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 15, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9559895

Hi folks- I decided to try and catch up on some reading here...no activity on this thread since the first of June. I hope that the past couple of weeks have been productive for all. Welcome Mauryhill and kudos on attacking your clutter...Gosh, sounds as though we all deal with paper and not being able to decide what we can keep. I guess I am better than I used to be with it, but still tend to hold on to too much of it. It is often interesting to find something I have hidden away and not seen for a year or so and think back to where my mind was at the time I saved this particular thing. I know that I must have at least three or four folders going with inspirational thoughts written out.
I keep things and as just explained...don't see them for years in between times. I do know that I have one folder in which some ditties I once had hanging on my refrigerator is some where around here...they meant a lot to me then and even though not out to be reminded by them daily, are still quite appropriate to remember in trying to run my life...

As often said in other clean and clutter free threads...the way to get the decluttering accomplished is the process as eating an elephant...one step or one bite at a time...slowly but surely...things will get done. Another theme that seems to tie many of us together is our looking at the whole big picture, turning around due to feeling overwhelmed by it all...and nothing getting started or done. Your idea Maury by tackling one area at a time is one that will serve you well. As we accomplish smaller jobs, we become motivated to move to larger areas and eventually we can begin to see progress and want to do more and more.

Keeping at it and not becoming discouraged is the name of the game...coming here to get support is also important for me. I have used these groups for a couple of years as I work through getting my environment in a more pleasing condition. I couldn't have done it had I not had others who I knew were rooting for me to be a success. De-cluttering and down sizing is and has been a favorite topic of mine for time now...I have thought myself completed at times in the past, but it has been proven to me that I have a tendency to allow things to start piling up again and need to get in action mode to get rid of things from time to time.

I hope that all reading are having a good weekend...happy de-cluttering and organizing...it can be done...

Ruby

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9561107

Thanks Ruby! I needed the nudge... can't lose sight of organizing/decluttering, even with all the other activities underway lately. It's starting to get away from me again, and if I don't devote some determined effort to it, I'll be back where I was at the beginning of the year! Just that thought is enough to make me go throw away a bunch of old mail... :-)

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9561408

that's awesome, Jill! I think we all encourage each other.
thanks, Ruby... we definitely can't lose sight of our goals.
my husband is leaving tomorrow morning to go back to work for 2 to 3 weeks.
while he's been home, I've focused only on a few things in the house really. we did a lot of catch up work outside tho.
getting just too freakin HOT to be outside for any time at all.
we live in the country, thankfully, so I will be putting foil in our west facing windows this week to block out as much sun as possible.
I still have one last decluttering project outside to complete before fall... the bird feeder clutter.
I've gotten a good start, but haven't had enough cooler mornings to do it. i'll make it a goal to complete next Saturday morning.

the heat of summer brings me back indoors to work on my projects. first on the list will be the worst of the black hole bedrooms.
as outlined in the other thread, I plan to start with the two or three boxes of paper clutter. if I follow my plan over there, maybe it will go quicker.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2013 11:46 PM
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2013
9:18 PM

Post #9561711

I've gotten somewhat stalled with indoor clutter while I finished the last assignment for my schoolwork, and then got busy with the overwhelming weediness of my garden. I don't want everything to go to seed again. I also folded a bunch of laundry, but that feels like treading water with the daily upkeep, not making headway on the clutter piles. At least the indoor stuff does not go to seed and multiply, even though it might feel like it sometimes. I have also been giving away potted daylilies and iris to friends to reduce the number of unplanted pots on the deck.
Paper clutter is the worst. I find myself reading and having a difficult time making decisions about what to keep and what to get rid of.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2013
11:02 PM

Post #9561757

Holly, doesn't it make you feel at least a little better knowing ur not the only one with paper issues? does me, but i still wish i didn't. pain in my derriere.
you DID make some progress tho, by sharing your potted plants. removing clutter is always progress. and trying to stay ahead of the weeds is something we all have to do, to be able to enjoy our garden. and by the way, i DO consider that a form of decluttering =)

let's see, if i remember my "training" (lol from years ago w/Mission: Organization)... we're supposed to take all the incoming mail, open it by the trash can, learn to get serious and TOUGH, and ONLY keep what we really need, and then putting THAT mail where it belongs right away. i HAVE learned to keep my bills together in a bag i take to work with me. if it needs to be filed, i TRY to keep that stuff on top of my filing cabinet. unfortunately, that's where i get into trouble. i can still see the huge stacks of filing i had on one of my jobs. we had a LOT of paper filing. ugh. it was just me & another girl who were equal but with different "teams." we could do each other's jobs, and our filing was basically the same kind of filing. when we knew our bosses would be back in the office, we would spend about 1/2 the day sorting and filing. granted that was two people, but... it wouldn't have taken a WHOLE lot longer alone. so that tells me "I" should be able to do that at home. sit down at least once a month, say the last Sunday of the month, and get it all done.

i need to get a binder and some of those plastic sleeves, and file all the manuals etc. for all the stuff we have (you know: weed whackers, TVs & other electronics, toaster, coffee maker, boat motor, blah blah). i KNOW there's got to be a better system that what i have now. i have 2 folders in each of 2 filing cabinets, and then a stack of stuff to be filed. Good grief. no way we still have all that stuff. and i hate when he asks me 'do you know where the manual is for the... ?' heck no, i don't know. it's SOMEWHERE in my office. why? can't you look it up on line? heck, you can google all kinds of stuff now. sure enough... he can usually find it. sometimes the problem is determining which model we have. THAT is on the paperwork i should have at my fingertips. my BFF told me the binder is the way to go. you can 3-hole punch some things, then put the others in sleeves. you can even get those adhesive divider tabs to help you label them and keep them in order. i like the idea. just gotta get it implemented.

it always amazes me when i go thru a file box full o'crap that i end up with over half of it being trash. that's silly. WHY can't i see it's trash to begin with? but in all honesty, i DO think i'm gradually changing. i have been employing that trashing of daily stuff and it is better. i don't keep near what i used to. i share some things with coworkers, and get REAL about what i will probably never need.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2013
11:21 PM

Post #9561763

Cajun, I have a deep office drawer. All manualz go in there. The ones I need (seldom as we all know that is) naturally stay near the top. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Every time I actually need to look in there, I spy a manual to something that's bit the dust. Off it goez to the compost pile. Easy-peasy.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2013
11:25 PM

Post #9561765

summer, i may just have to do it that way. sure sounds easier than putting together a binder--ugh. that DID seem like a daunting task.
thank you!!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2013
11:34 PM

Post #9561770

Oh, stick with me, kid. I have TONZ of lazy-sounding ideas that actually work pretty well.

Now that I think of it, though, a couple of manualz stay with their counterparts: My breadmaker & Vitamix stuff is in the recipe drawer because they contain recipes, so that seemz to make sense. Also, the chainsaw stuff is all in a big Ziploc that came with its many tiny accessoriez because I somehow am never able to get the chainsaw to work without reaching for the instructionz first.

But other than that it's a relief to know that, when needed, info is found in one place & one place only.

I am not a hoarder & am well on my way to having the most organized house around. But I still spend an inordinate & distressing amount of time searching for thingz, from flashlights to pajamaz. So working very hard on that. Having to hire out a ton of stuff like cleaning, house-sitting, repairs & landscaping over the last few months have not helped. After THAT whirlwind, anything can be anywhere.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 22, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9568322

We all seem to be distressed by pretty much the very same things. I too can let paper pile up quickly. I had to laugh when you said that when you do eventually get to sorting through papers items you have saved, that it amazes you at the stuff you kept in the first place...I have had that feeling in the past too...what the heck did I keep this for?
I know that down the road when I am gone when my son's will be disposing of my things, they are going to be amazed by the number of lists and things I keep. I started making lists maybe about fifteen years ago or so. I am usually able to shred and compost most of the lists after sompleting the tasks on them...there will occasionally be one that another sort of note such as a phone number or an address on it and I will end up keeping it.

Confession time...It has now been at least three years and maybe four since I started transferring addresses and phone numbers from my old address book to a new one I purchased. I have never completed that work. What I now have is about three or fours years worth of notes with phone numbers jotted down or torn return addresses off of envelopes in the middle of the new address book. I have a large rubber band around the middle of the book to keep it from all falling every where each time I need to access it. I suppose that is something that really should have been better addressed before now. I am horrible at keeping up with addresses and phone numbers and then like some of you, have to go hunt and search whenever I need to contact certain folks. Anyway...

Well, I am winding down a bit...didn't sleep much last night...might need to go back for a while. Hope that you all are having a good weekend.

Ruby

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9569016

summer: i used to be able to relate to that "I am not a hoarder & am well on my way to having the most organized house around." i miss that feeling. i honestly hope i'm on my way back to it now. since you've been there before, i'm sure you have the tools you need to get where you want to be.

ruby: as for your address book... i know just what you mean. however... just do it. now. don't wait. don't put it off any longer. is there a place where you can leave it open, like on a dining room table? sit down every day, if only an hour a day, and work on it until it's done. it's the only way. throwing away those chits of paper will be so liberating. you're gonna love it, and you will be so proud!!

it's Saturday evening now... i got up early and mowed (for me that means 600' of road frontage x 10'), our "dog yard" (backyard, fenced, about 80' x 40' and was 80% sand when i moved here 7 yrs. ago), what i like to call our "front yard" (where my many flower beds are sprinkled throughout the landscape--about 120' x 60'), and then what we call "the field" which is an area that USED to be all wooded... we cleared it about 4 years ago when we bought our tractor, and after years of bush-hogging, picking up limbs and busted up timber, raking, "mowing" the crap left, we FINALLY have GRASS!! God-given, nature-born, honest to goodness GRASS. O M G!! lol hard to believe. happy to mow it now! our burn pile is in the middle of it, far away from trees that could catch fire. there's still at least two areas i did NOT mow today: the area beyond the front yard, where we plan to put a pond; and the area behind the dog yard that we halfway try to keep clear. the deer run along the creek back there and it's cool if we can actually see them occasionally.

having said all that... it's still fun to mow since it's a riding mower and the terrain isn't too bad. it wasn't extra hot b/c i started early, and i came in before it got bad. i still have a few areas i probably should hit with the push mower b/c it's smaller, but i can do that any time.

i came in and showered, started my laundry, and cleaned my bathroom. i'm still decluttering it. i am satisfied with both vanities (his and hers), except for my makeup drawer, which is on my short list. i decluttered my medicine cabinet yesterday morning. i've only got FOUR ITEMS on my vanity top now! my earring thingee, a picture of my hubby b/c he's not home enough *smile*, a miniature hope chest that holds my Rx, and my soap dispenser. can you believe it?!!

i went into my closet today and let out a sigh. it's not been that long since i organized it again. my BFF & i believe the stuff in our closets misbehaves and multiplies when the light is off. i don't get it. i hang my clothes up immediately. i fold my jeans and put them on the shelf. i keep my shoes put up. WHERE is this other stuff coming from?!!!

going to get the scarf thingee completed tonight tho. every little thing i do, i feel better about getting it done.
my dining table is a mess again. my island is cluttered. my kitchen counters are cluttered. they really don't take long to clean up tho.
my office is cluttered again--sigh. i took everything i'd stashed on a bookshelf out of my office and put it in the den for DVDs. it's kinda neat now b/c you can't even SEE it unless ur looking for it!! awesome! i have it on the left side of the fireplace, up against it. if you walk into the room, you really don't know it's there!! so cool! and it's just to the right of the TV so it's handy. i love it!

(ok, am i talking too much?? sorry... but it's just not easy once i get going LOL)

when i was decluttering hubby's closet (oh and BTW i didn't even get fussed at for doing it-yea!), we addressed the issue of the four shotguns/rifles (whatever) he had leaning up against his closet wall. one was his dad's, one was my mom's, one was his i think. and then, on our vacation i "let" him (i have to make him buy something for himself every now and then) get a Henry rifle--something he's always wanted. all that to say, we decided we wanted to display them. i'd gotten him special "mounts" for his Henry b/c it's such a cool gun. he may still do that--he just hasn't decided. but i bought a nice 2-piece vertical "gun rack" for the wall. he hung it last weekend. we took his mounted bass off the wall and cleaned it, rearranged a little, and voile! it looks awesome!!

i don't know if you saw the other thread i started, but i'm getting back on track with my decluttering project 2013. it feels so good.

all right, i'll give you guys a break from my ramblings...

This message was edited Jun 22, 2013 7:41 PM

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9569341

vanity /bathroom - see below
closet - back in order (see scarf project done)
table - all that remains now is a stack of cookbook/recipe clutter to straighten out
island - all that remains are two shoe boxes of seeds to put up
kitchen counters - most everything cleaned up now
gun rack - see below

Thumbnail by Cajun2   Thumbnail by Cajun2   Thumbnail by Cajun2      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9569404

Cajun -- you ROCK!! I love the scarf hanger... shower curtain rings?

And that's a very cool bass.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2013
10:30 PM

Post #9569416

ty Jill!! and yes'm. cheap, plastic shower curtain rings.
now I have 3-4 retail type plastic scarf hangers to repurpose ;-)

Hubby caught that one. his wife, Delia, caught one not as big. it's mounted exactly the same and is hanging on the opposite wall.
we grew up on the lake. fishing is in our blood *smile*
hopefully there will be one I caught on the wall one day.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2013
10:46 PM

Post #9569425

Cajun2 wrote:
I still have one last decluttering project outside to complete before fall... the bird feeder clutter.
I've gotten a good start, but haven't had enough cooler mornings to do it. i'll make it a goal to complete next Saturday morning.

well crap! good thing I looked at this thread tonight (ok, it's 12:38am, but whatever...)
I guess I gotta plan on doing that now. granted, all i'd really planned so far is to talk to DH a little bit in the early hours b/c he'll be stopping and going to sleep around 10am. then I was going to pot up some plants for a coworker. suppose this job would be best to start first, and then when i'm done i'll fix up Denise's planter. there's always something to do out there. today while I was working, I tried hard to ignore all the grass and weeds growing in my flower beds. I have GOT to get some Preen, I think. OH!! doh!! I found at least 4 trees that have bag worms. I have the stuff; so I need to get on that job tomorrow morning right after the bird feeder clutter.

ok kids... better get to bed now.
sleep well!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 26, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9573936

Hello - Carole, I will try to locate the new thread you started...can't promise to read it today, but want to read about what you have going on...never apologize for being long winded...I love reading about everyone else's lives and hearing about failures and successes...hopefully more successes than failures. To me it seems that you really get much accomplished...showing your pics is always lots of fun...you should be proud of yourself...myself...with all that I have been involved in as of late, my closets and cabinets are really taking a beating for it. It has not been too many months since all closets and cabinets were nice and organized...that cannot be said today...things look really awful...instead of coming down too hared on myself about those things, I need to remember the things I have accomplished recently...heck fire...have set up a whole new store and that has not been easy nor has it been a picnic.

After the store is up and running, I can then begin devoting more time to things here and getting them back to better working order.
One of the major things that needed doing and is finally done is moving a collection of more than two hundred house plants outdoors to spend the summer. I still have a few left inside but the majority are living outside and all seem to be thriving.

Again, will check out your thread Carole...have a good one all!!!

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9574202

Store?? Ruby, how did I not know about this? Sorry for losing track of what you're up to, girlfriend! Are you posting anywhere about your efforts so that I can catch up? Is this an online venture or brick & mortar?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 28, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9576838

Hi there Miss Jill - Yep, you have missed out as well as most other Mid Atlantic Gardeners have too. I haven't had the time to be active with the mid atlantic group for some time now...about two months ago my girl friend and I signed a rental contract for a building the next county over where rents are cheaper...we have now opened, or will officially open tomorrow that is...we are planning to sell old and new stuff, mainly vintage finds that the two of us have collected over the year and now don't particularly want to hold on to any longer...John has been very much involved in helping us get set up and ready to go...he will man the shop on my behalf quite a bit, so he is invested too.

It has been quite a ride, a little bit of a misunderstanding a week or so ago and that didn't make for calm nerves...I really never realized all that would be involved in operating a business...in terms of business licensing and such. It has taken all of this time to get our ducks in a row. I still need to spend this afternoon at the shop putting on the finishing touches...I have lots of items on the shelves that I still need to put price tags on. Anyway Jill, for several years now I have been complaining of all the excess baggage I have in terms of nice things that I have bought or have had given to me...I have already sent tons of items out the door for donation but still had gobs of things that were just too valuable to consider just giving away...viola...a shop will help with things...a lot, more than four hundred pieces so far have been tagged and shelved and are ready for sale, and I still have a storage shed full of things to still go through that will be future stock.

I started a thread on the Retirees Forum that is titled something about collecting antiques and collectible. Of course there are also a few threads in the Clean and Clutter Free forum where I have a running log of what all has occurred over the past couple of months...maybe not too very far down the road, I can talk a few of you gals in your area to do a day shopping trip to my place. We are going to be consigning for people too, so if you have any items that you would like to have us try and sell for you, let me know...Let me get the doors open and then I will try to start a thread on the Mid Atlantic forum to explain to folks why I have been missing for some months now...I had a note from Ric last week wondering where we have been...I need to check in with you folks whom I so dearly love...I miss chatting with all of you and hearing what each of you have going on in your lives...

You folks reading...have a good rest of today and and a very enjoyable weekend.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9582738

Good golly, Ruby, that's quite an undertaking! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it... I'll keep an eye out for that thread!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 2, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9582973

Yes maam, please do...hope everyone is having a great week...take good care all.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 2, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9582974

Yes maam, please do...hope everyone is having a great week...take good care all.

Ruby

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9588390

Ruby -- where is the Retiree's Forum. Can't find it on the main page ??
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 17, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9602251

Hi Cheermom - I had to go back and look myself...I went to communities on the top page and that took me to a page that lists all the different forums on Dave's. Pretty much at the very end of the listing is a Forum for FAMILY MATTERS and under that is a link to the Retirees threads...good luck in finding it. I guess another way to find it may be to type in Retirees in the search box on home page of Dave's...let me know if you need further help.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America