Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Daylilies: How is Your Weather Where You Live???

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 348, Views: 1,927
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9193894

Thought I would start a weather forum here. We had not had any rain for 2 weeks and now we have had bad storms for the last 3 days. They are predicting very bad storms here on Saturday. Sure hope we don't loose power.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9194065

Very hot over here. Expecting 103 degrees today. Over 100 for tomorrow. Chance of rain on saturday. I see most of the rain is staying north of Chicago and coming back down and hitting you Cindy.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

July 5, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9194102

Hot, dry, dry, hot.

Corn is tasseling and is shorter than usual. As hot as it is if it doesn't cool down it'll cook the pollen and the corn won't make ears even if it does get a rain. Western KY has just about written off corn and bean crops for this year. We'll start feeding winter hay here pretty soon. The creeks have dried up so we're hauling water to cows that are in pastures without waterers or ponds. The garden is drying up and what wasn't dried up the deer came through and ate because that was the only green thing left to eat.

Daylilies are low man on the totem pole around here right now. Bloom season has been shortened significantly because of a lack of water. Blooms that should be six inches are barely 3 and they're rather deformed. Foliage is starting to yellow. They'll be going dormant here pretty soon. The heat and wind is sucking the ground. Most shrubs and trees are either dropping their leaves or the foliage is significantly wilted by the end of the day. It could do a slow rain for a week and I'm not sure the creeks would be running after that.

Janet
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9194108

Same here. We are finally getting the rain we need but I think it is too late to help some of the daylilies. Some are actually thriving on the heat while others are struggling very much, especially new ones I planted a month ago. I think I have lost at least two new ones because of the heat.
rherma10
Riverview, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9194135

Cindy, I'm enjoying all the rain we're getting but it's mottling my first blooms on new plants I planted this spring so I'm not seeing what the bloom should actually look like...but I guess it's good that they are blooming anyway :)
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9194266

Yes, same here. Emerald Starburst only had 2 buds and the second one opened today but the early morning storm we had ruined all of its pollen. I had such high hopes of using that flower this summer too. Hope it reblooms.
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9194412

Well, as I told my kids, which made them laugh...we are in the black hole of HE**.

We are parched. I am surprised my plants are alive at all. We've probably gotten two inches of rain since May.
janie1leigh
Solsberry, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9194528

Think we have gotten 1/10 of an inch of rain since May 1st. everyones yards are turning brown and looking like cut hay fields. My flowers are sad and are looking like they ususlly look in October. Along with the awful heat and drought the deer also found my daylilies this year-pretty much robbed me of the rest of the blooms for this year-I would have been much more upset if they hadn't been looking sooo bad already.
JWWC
South Bend, IN

July 6, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9195899

It's hot, humid and miserable here. We have one more day of 100+ weather forecast then a slight slight chance of rain but at least the temps should drop back to the upper 80's.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9196603

Very hot and humid here too. Probably will reach triple digits I imagine. I will be happy for a cool off.
onegoodman1955
Normal, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9196750

I was wondering about the rest of the summer and found this http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/seasonal_drought.html

Next year, I may grow my own vegetables since food costs are going to be impacted.

As Hemlady indicated some of the daylilies love the heat...El Desperado looks wonderful.
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9197609

It is terrible here in central Iowa...we live about 45 miles n.e. of Des Moines, and have had maybe 2" of rain since May...rain either goes north or south of us. My yard is all yellow, and the daylilies are barely surviving even with my watering them. It has been 100 or above for about 10 days with beating down sun, and still no sight of rain. The ground has huge cracks and even the trees show signs of stress.

Last night a front of cooler air came through (cooled down to 80) and I thought I was in heaven. Still no rain. The farmers are really worried about their crops, and my hay man (I have 4 horses) said he didn't think he would have a 3rd cutting this year if there isn't any rain...usually he gets 4 cuttings...I don't want to tell you what that is doing to the price of hay! :(

Our air conditioner went ka-poop, and it is only 5 yrs. old...the wires burnt up. The air-conditioner guy said that he has been swamped with calls, as the air conditioners can't keep up with the heat...they are running constantly, and burning up...

I don't know what is going on...just terrible.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9197643

SM4657, sorry to hear about the A/C going belly up. Try a higher setting when it is this hot to help reduce the stress on the A/C unit.
The village next to us measured .54 inches of rain this morning. This was a surprise considering we only had a 20% chance. Glad we were a part of it. Temp is very comfortable right now.
LesMc
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9198322

Miserable...just miserable...My garden is fried. I have watered but that does not seem to be enough. We also, have to get a new a/c. ,and I am sure I will be socked with a huge water bill. Oh well...Mother Nature can be a challenge every year. Everyone stay cool...Lesley
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9198622

The Weather Channel has not been very accurate for our area this year. All week they have been predicting severe storms on Saturday, didn't even get a rumble of thunder.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

July 9, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9198700

Rain went all around us last night. It's like a circle between Lexington and Louisville was the center of a doughnut. We're dragging soaker hoses to the gardens in an attempt to have enough produce for the markets. The daylilies are on their own. I was planning to have open gardens through the 22nd but there's no way.

We're starting to feed hay. And move fences so that every sprig of grass that's available can be grazed. We'll be putting cows in pastures where there's no water so we'll be hauling water. It's a never ending circle.

Janet

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9198951

Janet, we feel your pain !
onegoodman1955
Normal, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9199229

It was low 80s Sunday and I actually felt an outdoor chill. Ha! Monday and it's 91. Forecast is 88-93 next 7 days with no precipitation.

Next weekend, I'm going to dig up fans of ten or so of my favorites, pot 'em, and keep 'em under a shade tree. They are a browning and withering away. I thought maybe they were going dormant, but with no moisture I think they are baking and withering away.

A local news segment was air conditioner failures. The air guy interviewed said most 'residential' (not commercial) air conditioners are intended to reduce air temperatures 20 degrees at most.

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9200236

Yesterday...another 90 degrees...s'posed to be in the mid 80's...I think the weaterman just wants to be a positive thinker...:)

A dark cloud went over, and it poured! My rain gauge said we go around 1/3 "...I couldn't believe it...just 4 miles from us complained because they didn't even get a drop...

Just crazy!...

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9200945

Nice bloom Onegoodman. Expecting low sixties tonight.
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9203133

One word. AWFUL. One of our local local news/weather stations shows the area I live in to be in a "severe" drought. My perennial plants are just hanging on, some are dying. Annuals are frying up. Lost a crabapple tree. Despite the extreme heat & drought, many of the daylily blooms are exceptional this year, it just looks like the foilage is half dead. Have not done hardly any hybridizing this year, what little I did didn't take because of temps over 100 degrees. It's a sad summer.
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9203147

Make sure your aif filter in your air conditioner is washed out & wash it out from the endside out or you will push the dirt in. As far as the heat it is not going to get any better, 100 years we didn't have interstates & hugh parking lots & millions of homes with dark roofing that the sun heats up & lets the heat rise as where years ago where we had grass
& the ground soaked up the sun. There is a rain forest in south America that used to get over 300 inches of rain a year & after taking out most of the trees they get 80 inches of rain a year, People call this progress but it is total destruction. REMEMBER THE OLD SAYING YOU PAY ME NOW OR YOU PAY ME LATER. The world needs to wake up before it's to late. You take the greenery & you take away the rain. You can see the change from satilites in space, My brother was Division chief at vandeberg Air force base & at Cape Caniveral for all delta rockets.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9203171

I believe what you are saying is certainly contributing to what we are having. I also believe the earth goes through cycles. When the weatherman gives our weather each day, they always go back l00 years to give the temps then, and I am very surprised that l00 years ago, the temps were just as hot as they are today in the area where I live. They certainly didn't have nearly the population or greenhouse gases then as we have today and they were still baking in hot temps.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9205509

We got a little rain today. It should be in your area by now Hemlady and company.It wasn't long enough, but, we got some.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9205616

They are saying rain today (Sunday). It missed us yesterday or so I think. Nothing looks wet outside.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9206792

Never got the rain Mike. About 20 miles north of us got some and south got some but nothing here.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9208064

Cindy,I am sorry that the rain missed you. We have another chance around here tomorrow night into wednesday.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 17, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9208344

Weather here same as above: Hot and dry. We were ecstatic to get a nice rain a few days ago, but there are patches of pasture that won't come back. We were already buying much more hay than usual because of last years drought, I can't imagine how much we will have to spend on hay this year. Plus the price of milk is down as usual...other than the rain we just got I have been watering all day every day. I even watered my irises this summer!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012

Post #9208352

Not looking forward to today. Supposed to be in the triple digit temps.
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9208571

Hi caitlinsgarden...

I am here in Iowa also, and we did have another cloud go over and drop some rain, but just 4 miles north, west and east, they got nothing...the rain is so brief, and so spotty, that I am not sure it helps much. Our yard is just yellow...the only thing that comes up is crabgrass...
Our pastures are barely chugging along, and I have bought more hay (first and second cutting) than usual for my horses for winter...I don't even want to think what hay prices will do if we don't get rain...Oats are going up in price, too.

And the poor farmers...corn is tasseling, and I hope we get some rain the middle part of the week, but I am not holding my breath!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9208767

Triple digits expected today. Watered some this morning.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

July 17, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9209085

We finally got 2 inches over the weekend and clouds for that time so that it could all be soaked up. Not a drought breaker by any means but certainly most welcome. It will take a lot more to fill up the creeks and get them running but it's at least saved a day or two of hay to save for the winter.

Janet
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9209142

l00 right now here.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9209454

In New Mexico, the temps have stayed right at 95 - 100 for weeks and weeks. I did manage to get maybe 1/3" of rain out of 2 or 3 storms, but not near enough for sure.

A lot of the ranchers are selling off their cows, because they can't afford to feed them with bought hay and grain. The orchards and gardens all around are suffering.

I trimmed off the burnt leaves from my daylilys so they don't look so bad now, but what a job. I've been watering quite a bit and my water bill sure shows it! I do little prayers whenever I see a cloud though. I just don't want a gullywhomper like last year that flooded my Tuff Shed and all my photos!

And, the boss informed me today that I am "allowed" to work 20 hours a week, as there is no money. So full time retirement is sure looking better to me. Just hope I can afford it.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9209935

It is very cloudy here today. Praying for some rain for sure!!!
hostages
Wyoming, MN

July 18, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9210378

I work nights. Drove home in a deluge this morning. Rain stopped by noon. Rain guage said 4.1"
?!!!

Gary

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9210606

Gary, lucky you ! LOL!!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9211030

We are finally getting some much needed rain.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9211045

We got a good one last night. Some still coming down right now. Lights went out for a little while. I will report the total as soon as I get it. Good thing I held off watering yesterday morning. This should keep the ones in the ground happy for awhile. The grass is smiling !
hostages
Wyoming, MN

July 19, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9211593

Yes, I will not be watering for the next few days. Talking to some of my coworkers this morning, I discovered that those just slightly south of me got very little. Glad I was in the ZONE. LOL

Gary
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 22, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9214116

We got some here, hurrah! If this is the beginning of global warming, we are in deep trouble!
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9214267

Nothing here in central Iowa...It looks dark to the north, but doesn't come our way...the yard is beyond yellow...some have said that if we don't get some rain here, we should think about watering the yard...but, we have over an acre, and I don't want to see what the water bill would be.

Gonna have up to 105 degree heat index this week...that ought to fry everything that is still living!
ryguy319
Owosso, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9237705

Yahoo finally as of the 9 th of August here in central MI we have started getting rain and today we have gotten a total from then til today about 3 inches well needed rain too
And we actually had to close our windows as to not have to turn the heat on it got down into the high 50s but I'm not complaining it is a relief I can always put on a sweatshirt.Right now it is 60 degrees but I'm not complaining.
This was well needed rain as we hadn't mowed our lawn in 8 weeks it was so dry and wasn't growing only turning brown.
Now my plants I can't believe I let them go as long as I did without watering only because when the temps were into the high 90s to 100 I didn't venture outside even long enough to water them I feel horrible about that.
But it was so hot you just couldn't get yourself to go outside for nothing I got such cabin fever it was nuts.
Now we are enjoying this rain we just and I can't believe I could be so excited for rain as I was but it is coming to an end here probably by the end of today Saturday.
I sure would hope for other areas to get some of these well needed rains Oklahoma for one really is needing it sure wish for them areas to get a decent rain.
Well maybe tomorrow when it stops I will be mowing lawn and even though it is too late for my daylilys to send up some blooms at least they will survive this summers heat and dry.
Hemlady where is Melvindale, MI ? We are between Flint and Lansing are you more to the south of us or north?
Jan
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9238049

Yes, I am 12 miles south of Detroit and very close to Dearborn.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9240489

It was 112.6 in the shade here this afternoon. It's after 5 now and down to 111.4 in the shade. I would put the digital thermometer in the sunny area but I don't want to melt it.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9240505

LOL, Cheermom! Raining here nice and slow all day today. Did I mention cool temp. 64*f right now. Got a few things done in the house to get DW off my back. BFG!!!!

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9240544

Arghhh!
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9240782

Why don't you guys north of us send some of that rain our way. CheerMom and me are roasting with no rain...Lol I got maybe 15 drops yesterday. Does that count?

Linda
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9240883

We got rain here yesterday too and it is currently raining this morning. I hope all of you down south get the much needed rain.
ryguy319
Owosso, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9241325

Believe me if we could we would I know how miserable we were when we had abnormally hot and dry weather into July. I didn't want to do anything outside and felt very unproductive besides getting cabin fever.
Thankfully that Jet Stream has dipped down giving us some relief it would be real nice if it would dip down a little bit farther.
I see much on the news about ponds drying up and cattle getting stuck in mud trying to get to what water is left that breaks my heart.
Can you tell I love animals my husband says I wouldn't make a good farm wife because I wouldn't want to kill any of the animals. I said no I would want to be a crop farmers wife I love to grow things LOL.
I know the crop farmers are in big trouble this summer too.
I can't believe we are actually going to be having to mow the lawn again after weeks of not mowing it and it is getting green again it was so burnt.
Our trees in our neighborhood have lost a lot of their leaves and our Maple tree in our back yard has lost so many I've been raking them up and they have black spots on them what is with that?
Jan
Iris2222
Carmi, IL
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9241435

It is 83 degrees here today and nice.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

August 24, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9252751

Dry, dry, dry. 90 plus degrees today.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9253977

Yippiee!! Rain is on its way late this morning. KY, I suspect that you will get some too.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

August 27, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9256199

Still waiting...
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012

Post #9256591

We had about a half an inch yesterday but oh my did it ever get humid. I was out digging a daylily order after it stopped raining and I almost passed out. Had to get in the air and drink some liquids.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9257540

We got over three inches of rain. Some parts of chicago and suburbs had over four and one half.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

August 28, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9257613

Might have gotten a quarter of an inch. I think I'll water vegetables tomorrow.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9261913

We got some rain today from what's left of Isaac. Not sure of the amount.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9261921

Haven't got any rain from it yet but maybe.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9262804

New Mexico is still dry. We are short on our monsoon rain that we usually get, but hopefully next weekend should have some rain for us. There were some promising clouds today with a temp of 96, but the high pressure system is keeping the rain from getting here. Not enough moisture in the air to rain.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9264784

We got three fourths of an inch on the first. It rained north of us this morning with some regestering over 1.1 inch. Cindy you might get some of this.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9264921

Yes Mike, it has been raining most of the day. Haven't checked the gauge but I bet we got close to an inch.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9266048

Rained last night and this morning. I ntresting to see what all this rain and cool weather that's coming do to the daylilies.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012

Post #9278570

Got some rain last night. High forties last night. Near forty expected tonight.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 18, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9278938

Been raining here some everyday for the past 5 days... just a slow steady rain off and on - with lots of cloud cover, so it has really helped. Today the sun is out but the temps are in the low 70s so very nice. Supposed to have some morning temps in the upper 40s tomorrow and the next day in part of the state. Not quite ready for 40s but I could sure get used to these 60s and 70s temps!!

Genna
South Arkansas
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9279200

Cool and rainy here today.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 19, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9279776

51 this morning on the way to work! AWESOME!! sure wish I was off today so I could get some yard work done! LOVE working outside when it is nice weather!! Mowed part of my yard last night - had on shorts and even got a little cool before i got finished. Was great - when I mowed it last weekend I thought I was going to roast before I got finished!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9283806

Genna, lucky you. I have been wearing long johns the past week because of the cold mornings. We were in the low thirties this morning. Going up to 53. Must say that it is better than what the folks in Minnesota got this morning in the form of SNOW! Mike
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 23, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9284042

Snow already!?!? Wow!!! It was gorgeous day yesterday - but in the mid to upper 80s. Today it started off cool - probably in the upper 50s with a breeze, but has warmed up to the mid to upper 70s. Been working out in the yard for hours and need to get back at it... went to a roundup yesterday and came home with too many plants! :)

I REALLY NEED LOTS of these nice days so I can get my beds in shape. Can't do too well in the 100+ degree weather... hopefully it will stick around for a while.

Genna

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9284054

I am under the inclination that you need some help!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 23, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9284354

LOL... well, that isn't likely! :) No one else in my household is into gardening...although my husband will help dig holes etc, normally, but just had shoulder surgery Aug 20 - so NO doing that currently!! All the weeding cleaning and mulching are left to me...

I have one large bed that I cleaned out in the spring - had it all nice and mulched and looking great in June... then the heat hit and I just couldn't keep up. I have three other beds that I haven't gotten to touch all year - you couldn't have looked at them and told the one I had cleaned from the others :( Not too encouraging... but my schedule is much more flexible now that the kids are in college so I am hoping to do better next spring at keeping everything under control.

Realistically, if I don't... I REALLY need to eliminate a couple of beds. I do not get any enjoyment from seeing them look all grown up and unkempt. I have asked for a gardener a couple of times for Christmas, but so far I haven't gotten one ! ^_^ LOL...

One year we hosted an exchange student from Italy for a year... she couldn't believe that I did my own gardening. Her mother had over 300 roses - but had a full time gardener who took care of it all... I couldn't believe anyone had a full time gardener - talk about culture shock !!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9284376

Since we are hands on we don't need one of those. LOL!! However, we could use a full time weeder. BFG!!

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

gen2026
Camden, AR

September 24, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9284752

Well, IF I had one, I think I could piddle enough to be happy!~ LOL...

What are the flowers in the photo? They are pretty...

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9285500

Fall blooming "Asters", Genna. The red one is Alma Potschke. The light and dark lavender colored ones names elude me right now.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 26, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9286674

Nice! Thanks for the info...

I received one aster in my swap, but can't remember the name off the top of my head. It is supposed to make a mound of blue flowers...

Well, our cool weather was just a mirage... :( It was back up to 93 yesterday and I think today is supposed to be even hotter! But there is supposed to be an increasing chance of rain as we go thru the week.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9286708

It's been cool here, low 70's and sunshine. Very nice here!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 26, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9286711

Sounds nice! I love working outside in that type of weather... here we only get a few days a year like that!

Enjoy!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9286722

Well would you believe since my last post which was only a few minutes ago, it has clouded up to the point where it looks like rain. Unbelievable, lol.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9286759

Wish I could hire a full time gardener here. Need one to keep up with all the work that needs to be done. Even with a full time gardener, there would still be plenty for me to do.

Weather here is not bad today. Supposed to be a few showers in in the mid 70s. Tomorrow will be sunny. Rain showers expected Fri.-Mon. I hope they will only be light showers, as I'm planning to go to a local garden center and get some stuff done this weekend.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 26, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9287019

I know exactly what you mean... a few weekends back when it rained here - it was just a light rain and I worked most of the day out in it. I must say I looked a wreck - my hair was kinking every which way from being in the rain all day - but I sure got a LOT done in the cooler temps and the built in misting system! ^_^

Karen, I can totally relate... I need a full time housekeeper (dream on!) and a full time gardener and there would still be plenty to do! :) Although I would be willing to sacrifice and take part time on both! LOL...

Cindy, hope you were wanting some rain...

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9287203

88 here right now at almost 7pm...

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012

Post #9287631

Genna and Larkie it is probably warm enough for reblooms in your weather. They are predicting above normal temp for at least the early part of next week. Low to mid 70's. No rain in sight. Not feeling the garden hose hauling right now. "Just Do IT"!

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9287692

It did rain a little. Rain is fine with me. All my flowers except for a few cosmos, salvia and snapdragons are done blooming anyway.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 27, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9287726

We are still considered to be in a drought condition, but the severity of it is a LOT less than it was. There are still a few places scattered across the state that are still listed as extreme - but they are mostly in the northern part of the state. There is a chance of rain the next couple of days - but highest chance in the northern counties so maybe some of those that are still in bad shape will get some much needed rain. We could use another rain, but we are in much much better shape than we were!!

When I planted my trees the other day, the ground was actually moist - that was a nice surprise!

How often do you water your DLs Mike? I have one big bed that I watered almost every day this summer - had a raised sprinkler up on a tripod and just let it run... but my friend said I would probably be better off to not water every single day - but it was so dry I was afraid I would lose everything. Plus, my soil is very sandy and doesn't hold water as well !

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9287782

Going to be 65 and mostly sunny here today. I called in from work. Needed a personal day, plus I'm feeling overly tired lately. Will probably get some more daylilies planted later.

Genna, I could use a full time housekeeper, too. Like you, I would settle for part time on both the housekeeper and the gardener. LOL! When I win the lottery I will definitely be hiring both full time! I do have a friend who has been helping me out with weeding lately, as she brings her son over, and I pay him $20 for 2 hours of work, doing a lot of the things that I just don't get to do, like taking all my weed piles to the compost piles, hauling loads of manure for the beds, cutting back brush and taking it to the burn pile, etc. They've been coming over about once a week to do that, and it's really been a help. Not that I don't still have tons to do. Oh, and my nephew, who lives with us, has been been doing a lot of clearing in the woods, pruning trees, taking some down, and clipping back shrubs that are out of control, and a lot of weed whacking. My sister bought a new weed whacker about 2 weeks ago, and my nephew loves it, so that's been a big help, too. And he's been doing some mowing, too, and my friend/roommate Gretchen has been helping with mowing and watering. Even with all that help there is still a ton to do. I've always wanted my place to look as nice as a botanical garden. Yeah, right!!!!! Botanical gardens have a lot of staff people taking care of everything.

Do you mulch, Genna? That would help keep the moisture in longer. I had to deal with sandy soil when I lived in Fallon, NV. It was all sand. I was always adding stuff to it. Had to water daily, and didn't have mulch on the beds. Finally I put in soaker hoses. That helped a lot. Would leave them on for a few hours each every 3 days. Really saved me a lot of time over hand watering. Here I don't water any of my established plants, just my potted ones, and I have too many of those.

Nice DL bloom, Mike.

Karen

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9287910

Monday will be Oct 1st and it's supposed to be 101.

I am so bummed...:(

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9287925

When it was in the 90's I watered twice a week. I use a lot of mulch to minimize watering also. The stuff in pots need watering at least once a day when it is very hot. We have been getting off and on rain lately, which enabled me to do some selective watering.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 27, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9288024

LOL... I can so relate Karen. I have always wanted the nice picture perfect home - with it all decorated and everything in its place! yeah, right... that is NEVER going to happen!! I have been trying hard since the kids started college to get the house in order and KEEP it that way... it is a LITTLE better, but I have spent way more time working outside than inside which I tend to do... and so there is a lot to do in both places! Guess it will always be that way. I have noticed that I have a LOT less laundry which is really nice...except when they come home :)

Yeah, I do have mulch in my beds, and around most of the trees that I plant. Unfortunately, as we mow the mulch gets shifted around (around the trees) and usually just ends up being grown over by bermuda, but i guess it still helps retain moisture. I have tried to add compost and manure to my beds to improve them, and I have improved them some but they could use a lot more. I don't have access to a good source of manure so I have to buy it in bags and that limits how much I can get each year. I have noticed though the mulch tends to break down over time in the bed and it is helping to improve the bed as well. I have tried to start a small compost pile but I do not have a lot of luck with it... the raccoons and various animals seem to get in it at night and scatter it everywhere! So, although I might be slowly improving the area where it is located, I am not really producing compost!

I have one bed that is a long way from my house and I was having to drag the hose several hundred feet. I lost most things in that bed last year because of some breathing problems I was having and I just couldn't get the bed watered. I moved the few DLs that survived up to my closer bed this past Spring. Now there is not much left in that bed except some lorapedalums, quince, and some lantana. It is also covered with bermuda. I lost all the cannas and other things that had been in that bed. I plan to rework that bed and only put drought tolerant plants down there. That way, I will have to water until they are established, but after that I will probably only water once every 2 - 3 weeks in that bed depending on temps and weather conditions. Just trying to plant things that need a lot of water that far away wasn't very smart to begin with !! :)

101 ... wow - hope we don't climb back to that. Although if the temps get as high as they are calling for the next few days, we will reach that with heat index for sure because the humidity is supposed to be really high tomorrow - Sunday. :( it is hard for me to get things done out side when the humidity is high!

Can't believe it is almost October...and it has been hot here since MARCH !!

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9288226

Correction ... 101 on Sunday ... I'm mad as Hockey Sticks and I'm not taking it any more !!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9288234

Genna you should try running some underground plumbing to the back bed where you would have a spicket nearby. That woulb be a lot easier in your case.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 27, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9288315

Yeah, we had a guy come with a trencher several years ago so that I could run water and electricity out to my big center bed - AFTER he left, we decided we should have had him take water all the way out to the road to that other bed... but we never did do it. The ONLY reason I have a bed out that far is that it is around a light pole and guide wire. My husband and son, and myself, all just about flipped our mower under that guide wire because of a slight hill there... I decided it was a good place for a bed to keep anyone from having to mow under there!! It is probably 300 ft from my house, but it serves the purpose. I just am going to modify the bed to heat and drought tolerant plants to avoid having to water all the time.

OF course, the bermuda is covering that bed too... the drought doesn't seem to bother it. I got some roundup sprayed this evening hoping to make a dent in some of this bermuda... not sure how effective it will be on those thin leaves!! I am going to spray the gravel drive all outside my big bed because the bermuda is growing on the rocks and into and across my bed. I don't need the grass on the gravel so I am hoping to kill it to keep it from spreading in the bed again. Then on my other beds I am going to try the small trenches around them assuming I can get the bermuda out that is in there. Won't do much good to put a moat around it if the bermuda is still in the bed ! :)

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9288455

I only got one daylily planted tonight, but I got some weeding and watering done, and I tied up a climbing rose. Didn't do much at all, but I caught up on some much needed rest.

CheerMom, I remember what the weather is like there. I lived in Mesa for 4 years. Loved the winters there, though.

Oh, man, Genna, I'm so glad I don't have to deal with Bermuda grass. I have a lot of other invasive stuff that I'm always battling, though, so I guess it's six and one half dozen or the other. Take your pick. I imagine you have those horrid goat head thorns as well, though maybe I'm wrong. Had them in NV, and they were horrid! You couldn't walk barefoot anywhere, and the thorns would stick into the soles of my sneakers, nearly puncturing all the way through in some cases.

Yes, putting drought tolerant plants in that bed is a wise decision. Much less work for you.

For the past three years I have been using composted cow manure for mulch. It works really well, puts some nutrients into the soil, and helps to improve it. It breaks down a lot quicker than the shredded wood mulch, so you have to add more pretty much every year, but it's so worth it to keep improving the soil. I get a lot of extra earthworms coming to feed on it and break it down even more. I get a truckload for $90, which is about 5 yards. Really nice, fine stuff, and looks fantastic.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 28, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9288724

I have never heard of a goat head thorn... hopefully that means we don't have them!! :) I have a LOT of stuff in my beds as weeds that I have NO IDEA what it is called... seems like I get rid of one thing (for instance I have greatly lowered the population of nutgrass (nutsedge) but something else always pops up. Some seem to be fairly easy to deal with - others a nightmare. Last year was the first year I ever dealt with this vine that looks like morning glory... I think someone on here called it Hitch Vine. It was EVERYWHERE last year, and is still rampent this year although not as bad as last year... guess there will always be something to fill in. Thankfully, I only have trouble with it mostly where there is not mulch - such as where I am trying to establish my foundation planting. I originally lined out the foundation planting and tilled the area and removed as much grass as I could. Then for several months I would just try to roundup anything that appeared. Sometimes I stayed on top of it - and sometimes I let it get ahead of me. Slowly over time, I have been adding plants to the bed. It is an extremely long bed and will eventually have a LOT of plants in it. I started with the basics up closer to the house and have been working my way out. I have cardboard, paper, and mulch around the plants that are in place...but I still have quite a bit of the bed that doesn't have anything in it. So, I fight various weeds and vines in that area, as well as encroaching bermuda. My husband got me some of the metal edging to line it - and I hope now that he is regaining some use of his right arm that we will be able to get it in place soon. I HOPE that helps deter the bermuda...along with constant edging.

Man, that composted cow manure sounds awesome! I tried to buy some horse manure locally but have not had any luck. Did buy one small load of cow manure from a feed lot when I was starting my first bed - it was $ 75 (this has been 6 yrs ago or more) and it was full of hypodermic needle covers, syringes, ear tags, number tags (like from the sale barn), a few needles, etc. I decided for the money I could buy it by the bagfull and not have to deal with the 'trash' in it. :( I grew up on a farm, and my dad always used the dried horse manure around my Mom's roses and in her flower beds - they always looked great! ... I also hear mushroom compost is really good and I wasn't able to locate any in the spring, but I just spotted some at Atwoods the other day so I have to get in a pick up some bags of it ! :)

They say some parts of the state got heavy rains yesterday...we didn't get a drop but at least the temps stayed in the low 80s. It was a nice day and I got some watering done, and some roundup put out.

Have a great day everyone!
Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9289298

Genna, I fight that constant battle with all kinds of invasive weeds myself. I could go on and on. I know I will never get rid of them all. The best I can do is keep them to a minimum and under control.

I love the cow manure, but don't think I would buy it if it came with a lot of trash. That sounds gross!

Rain here today, a little too much to get out in the garden. I watched some TV and did some grocery shopping. Made a big spaghetti dinner tonight.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9289673

The last 2 days have been beautiful, lower 70's. Supposed to be 70 today also. I did manage to get some of my daylily scapes removed but still have a lot left to do.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 29, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9290086

Got a few weeds pulled this morning but then it started raining. My daughter came from college to attend the local craft fair - we went to that in the rain. It is just a slow light rain ...now that I am home, I really should go out and work in it - at least it is overcast and cooler that way!

I did do some housecleaning this morning...always something that needs to be cleaned! ^_^

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9290411

Very cool day, and kind of raw. In the low to mid 60s.

Went to a garden center with a friend and scored big on some half price perennials. Love it when I can get good deals like that. I got 2 Peruvian lilies, a wine purple and a golden yellow, 2 shasta daisies, one called 'Banana Cream' and the other a fluffy looking one, got a phlox called 'Blue Paradise' (been wanting that one), got an orange epimedium, got a centauria called 'Black Spires' (or something to that effect, a black one), a sea lavender, and 2 other things that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 30, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9291012

Sounds like you scored big! I love finding bargains like that too!!

Rained all night here, and some this morning...but much cooler this morning - probably in the upper 50s - and still in the mid 60s and overcast but at least for now the rain has stopped.

Then it is supposed to be in the upper 80s again by tuesday! Not sure how much rain we got - but the plants enjoyed the slow steady rain...

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9291271

Cool today and no rain like the weatherman forecasted.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 30, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9291365

It must all be here Cindy! We were only supposed to have a SMALL chance of rain and it has rained ALL weekend. Had a couple of times today that it picked up momentum and the temps are down in the low 60s!! So much for our "just a little chance of rain" but I know the plants are enjoying it...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9291617

We got a fantastic amount of rain last night and this morning. It finally stopped in the afternoon. It was nice and cool out. I wanted to get some work done outside, but that will have to wait till tomorrow.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012

Post #9291779

Gen, they predicted rain here all weekend and we didn't get a drop.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9291991

A nice sunny day out there today, and it's going to get about 70, though we have a chilly start. I need to get motivated and plant all the stuff I got on Sat., plus all the daylilies that still need planting.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9292005

Cindy, from what I saw on the news this morning the rain is heading north from down south thanks to Genna. LOL! We have a good chance tomorrow.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9292702

On the 1st of every month our newspaper publishes the temps for last year and the historic highs and lows and a space where you can write in this year's temps. Last year it was still 97 on October 23rd...hope this October is cooler. We never seem to have a fall or a spring. Goes right from hot to chilly and from chilly to hot. (sigh)

102 today (sigh)

Sue G

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9292752

I feel for you, Sue! I don't miss that kind of weather, although I did like the winters there. I do miss that. Might make a trip over there in Jan. or Feb.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9292879

All of you who are getting rain...send some to New Mexico! We are below what we usually get and the whole state is considered in drought. Some areas are extreme drought.

These last few days have been in the upper 70's to low 80's, but still 50-55 at night.
I was able to cut back on the watering at least. Everything is loving the weather, including my daylilys. It's like they don't know what to do. I walk through and pull the browning leaves so they look nice, but they are perking up and standing taller with the "cooler" weather. I guess they were as tired of the 90's and 100's as I was! LOL

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9293041

Wish I could send you some rain. We had great weather today. Got lots of rain yesterday and Friday. Getting more rain on Wed., but tomorrow is supposed to be a mix of sun and clouds with temps in low 70s. Too bad I'm working. Will get some stuff done after work with the hour of daylight that's left.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012

Post #9293269

Well it sounds like it is raining. It is still dark outside so I can't actually see it but I can hear it hitting the window. It's only 3 days late, lol.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9293301

LOL! Spotty chance around here today. Watered some yesterday. They said better chance Wednesday and Thursday for us. We will see. Fifties for highs starting Friday. Brrrrrrrrrr!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 2, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9293414

Hope you are getting some rain up your way... don't know how much we received, but my husband tried to mow part of our back yard yesterday and left some ruts in the process... means we got a pretty good bit because our soil is sandy and rarely holds water. I REALLY need to remember to buy a new rain gauge - broke my last one. :(

I can so relate to the drought status. I think at one time the entire state was considered in extreme drought - and there are still a few places that are still considered in mild drought status, but I saw on the news last night that the entire state had above normal rainfall in August and September so that helped a lot! There are still several areas that still have burn bans in place because things are still dry.

Got some weeding done yesterday afternoon - still have a long way to go but the temps were in the upper 60s and that makes for nice working weather...if only the daylight lasted longer :(

Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9294660

We had great weather yesterday for most of the day. Cloudy, but in the low 70s. Then in the afternoon we got some rain, though not heavy. I wanted to spread some more manure in my beds, but will have to wait for the weekend now.

Today we had drizzly rain and fog in the morning. Has stopped now, but still a bit foggy. Cool, only in the 60s, but supposed to get to 69.

Genna, I'm with you, if only the days lasted longer. Sigh! But it's that time of year. If only I didn't have to work so much.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 3, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9294700

Yeah, I just wish we could get a few long days with the mild temps ...those two things just don't go together down here in the south! :( But it would sure make working in the yard SOOOOO much better! So many more hours of productivity!

They were calling for temps to climb back into the upper 80s, but so far they are staying in the upper 60s to low 70s this week - which has really been a nice change! I even considered taking a day off work just to stay home and work in the yard...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9295079

Drizzly rain lasted most of the day. That's okay, cause I was working. Did Meals On Wheels with a client in the morning, had lunch with her, took her to the library to get on the internet, then took her to pick up meds. In the late afternoon I took one of my clients to a movie. Saw Hotel Transylvania. Really good!

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9296141

No rain in drought bound New Mexico. Temps today at 85. Tomorrow is supposed to be 84 & breezy. No rain in sight!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9296397

Rained yesterday. Heavy! Drizzling this morning, chance of heavier rain later. 53f for a high today. Genna, just what you are wishing for.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9296476

It is windy and overcast here. It is supposed to rain today.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9296523

We were overcast and foggy all day yesterday, and pretty humid from all that moisture. Not too bad out, though, considering.

Today is perfect. Nice and sunny, and it's getting to 76 later. Love it! Tomorrow will be nice, too, except some scattered showers later in the day. After the weekend our daytime temps will get down in the 50s. Wish it would stay in the 70s.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 5, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9296554

They are calling for rain again here starting late tonight, or early into the morning...and a cold front coming in. Supposed to be 85 today- high of 54 tomorrow!! It is homecoming weekend at the university where my kids go... so we are headed over there tonight for Tiger Tunes ( a variety type show put on every year during homecoming week) and then back over tomorrow for the game (hope it isn't raining) and another performance of TT tomorrow night. HOPING they are wrong about the rain tomorrow...

They are even saying there is a possibility of lows down to 40 on Sunday. Could mean frost if the rain moves out to clear skies...

Karen, sounds like perfect weather to be outside! :) Enjoy...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9296559

I will enjoy this weather, though I wish I could be working in my gardens today. I'm wondering if our cold temps after the weekend will be coming from your cold front working its way over here. I don't think we'll get frost, at least not in my area. Probably north and west of me in the higher elevations.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9297436

Another great day today, though there's a chance of isolated thunder showers for later on. Some light rain for tomorrow. Going to get out and get stuff done today.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9297489

It's cold here today. Had to go to the post office and it was only 48 this morning.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9297509

It's about 75 here right now. Nice! But after today we're cooling off in the 50s during the day. Fall is officially here.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 7, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9298511

About froze to death yesterday! It was 50 degrees, with a light rain at times and lots of moisture in the air all the time! Also a stiff breeze... we were outside at a football game and between the drop in temps, the moisture and the wind I thought i was going to freeze! I am NOT ready for winter!! Not my time of year! :) So, today, I have sinus that are about to explode... :( But, I am headed out to try to get some things done in the yard... although it is only 56 outside - so we'll see. My husband says it is warmer out in the sun and out of the wind...not sure how many places like that i have to work !! But, maybe if I am busy it won't be too bad!

I moved all my tender plants inside yesterday morning before we left... I knew we would be in really late and I was concerned about them ... we did not have frost, but the temps got into the upper 40's. It will warm up again here for sure, so I will probably put them back out this evening or tomorrow morning.

gotta get busy! have a great day!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9298645

It's much cooler here today, as they said it would be. About 56 right now, overcast and currently raining. Didn't start raining till about 2:30 or so, so I did get some stuff done. Cleaned up a sales area yesterday, and got another one cleaned up today, as well as cleaned all the gunk and leaves out of my pond. Didn't get around to cleaning the clogged filter, as the rain came. We're supposed to get rain overnight, then will clear out before tomorrow. Hope so, as I have so much more to get down before it's back to work again. Tomorrow's supposed to be partly cloudy and high of 57.

I won't be bringing in my tropicals until it starts getting below 40 at night. If they're calling for a frost, then in they come. Looks like this Friday it will get down to 37, but that could change. We'll see. I don't like winter anymore than you do, Genna.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9298718

Cold and rainy here today. Expecting a frost tonight.
DaylilyOma
Harrod, OH

October 7, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9299161

Frost is called for here, too. BRRRR...not ready for this yet!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 8, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9299751

Well, I ended up working in my yard over 6 hrs! Started out in a long sleeve thermal type top, ended up having to change to a t-shirt in a couple of hours as it continued to warm up. Ended up being in the mid 60s and was great day to work outside. Was almost dark when I quit, but the temps were dropping fast with the sun going down, and there was also another rain front coming thru and it was thundering so I gave it up for the day.

I managed to clean a SMALL area in my huge round bed. It is the one that was clean back in May and June and now looks like a jungle. I probably only got a space about 6 - 8' long and about 2.5 - 3' wide cleaned out. But, I made the discovery that some of those bermuda grass roots are really deep... now I am really questioning whether that metal border is going to keep it out of my foundation beds... :( The grass is not only coming in between and over the rock border, but I discovered it is also coming underneath the rock border! I am not sure how I am going to resolve it. I know I can NOT keep cleaning this bed out to this extent over and over and over... I worked on that bed for a few hours, then had to get some other things done but it is obviously going to take a while to get it all out - if that is even possible.

Because I had put cypress mulch on this bed, I attempted to pull back the mulch in an area then dig that area up and try to get the roots out, then put the dirt back, then put the mulch back... but in a lot of areas the dirt and mulch are mixed now. Assuming I ever get thru trying to get all this bermuda out, should I put a layer of mulch on top of what is there to try to prevent weeds from germinating? or wait til spring?

It supposed to continue to warm back up the rest of the week here I think.

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9299876

Hi All!

Upper 70's today with 40-45 last night. I have leaves turning colors and a few plants look like they have been hit by the cold temps. Supposed to be this way until Thursday when we might (just might) get a storm.

Linda

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9300139

Genna, that is an option. You could also break off the seed heads if it is not exceedingly abundant. Big words for "a lot". LOL!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9300167

Chilly here, in the 50s. Started out sunny, and would have been nice if the sun had stuck around all day, but by midday it was overcast. Had to wear pants while I worked in the garden. I hate it when I can no longer wear my shorts. I love wearing shorts. We're supposed to get some rain tonight.

Genna, I'd put mulch on the areas you've already cleaned out, especially if you're still going to have warm weather for awhile. I don't know about where you live, but where I live we have weeds that start growing in the fall, then continue once the weather warms up in spring, so putting mulch on the beds in the fall after weeding them is the smart thing to do to keep those weed seeds from sprouting. Just remember that perennial weeds that have not been removed will come back up from roots that were left in the ground (dandelions that didn't come up root and all, Bermuda grass, etc.).

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 9, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9300681

yeah, I know that if roots are left, they will be back! I am trying hard to get all the roots, although I would suspect it is impossible to get EVERY root! It is a SLOOOOWWWWW and tedious process, and I guess I won't know if I am successful until next year :( But here is what I started with - remember I attempted to spray this bermuda a few weeks ago - didn't seem to really kill it although some twigs might have been damaged. Then this is what small area I have cleaned. ... This clean area is about 7 ft long maybe. The bed is about 35 X 35 so it is going to take a while! Although the front half of the bed is mostly clean already - doesn't seem to have the bermuda problem, yet anyway, that the back side has!

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9301116

It's been raining for three days, a cold front pushing through after stalling out over the area. A low of 48 for tomorrow night. Wow, I freezing. :(

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9301158

Chilly here today. Only in the 50s. Some drizzly rain early, then lots of overcast the rest of the day. A few sprinkles here and there. Will be a bout 58 tomorrow. Friday is calling for 35. Is that frost temps? I know 32 is the point where water will turn to ice. But what about frost? Need to know if I have to move my tropicals in for the night.

Genna, good luck with your renovating project. I hope you succeed. It's a tough battle, but it can be won eventually, for the most part, anyhow.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9301265

Karen, if it's just for one night they should be ok. The whole day at 35 is something else. With the recent rain I would expect frost.
We got a little rain last night. Going up to 51 today, sixties the rest of the week. Mike
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9301287

We had two nights in a row with temps at 35 and no frost. I guess it may depend on how much moisture is present in the air at the time.
karen13771
Toledo, OH

October 10, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9301372

hemlady, I can't believe you didn't get any frost yet. I always thought your temperatures were colder by Detroit than we were in the Toledo area. I had to pull a couple of zinnias yesterday that were touched by frost. We had some two nights in a row. The rest of my flowers, including the pots on the porch are ok.I am beginning to think you have the right idea of not taking a chance on planting daylilies in the fall. I am sure worried about the ones I just planted. Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9301449

Thanks, Mike. I will keep an eye on the news and make sure no frost is predicted for our area. I don't want to move them until the very last minute. I have so many now, and they take up a lot of space in my porch. The brugs will go in the cellar once they've bloomed. I have lots of buds on one, and a few on the other. Want to see those nice blooms before making them go dormant.

I'm planting daylilies in the fall, but I'll mulch them well to prevent frost heaving. I think that's basically what kills them in the winter here. New ones, anyhow, I don't have to worry about that with established ones. I usually plant in the spring. If I plant in fall, I prefer to get them planted in Sept.

Today we're getting rain with a high of 60. I'm working, so no worries that I can't get any work done in the gardens.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9301626

I can't believe it either Mike but we haven't. Just an hour north of me they are getting sleet today.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 10, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9301695

Yuck - sleet does NOT sound good!! It was overcast here most of the morning, temps in mid to upper 60s. Thought we were going to get some rain, but guess it passed over us because the sun has been out all afternoon although temps are still good. Turned out to be a beautiful day!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9301719

Finally saw the sun today after three days of rain, another cold front tonight but no rain just colder air and some wind out of the north.
The daylilies are very happy after all the rain. A few of my Maryott fans have bloomed and a few more have buds. Yipee!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9307948

Lots of sun today, but really chilly this morning. It's supposed to cloud up this afternoon, then another nice day tomorrow with temps around 67. Today is only supposed to get to 59.

Last Friday we had our first killing frost, at least killing for the annuals, anyhow. I brought all my tropicals in and got some cuttings of lantana and coleus. So sad that my cannas are dead now. I have to dig them up and store them for the winter. Two pots can go directly into the cellar. The other pot is too big to move, so those will be dug. I'll be getting that done this weekend. We are supposed to get rain on Friday and Saturday. Sunday and Monday look good so far.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 17, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9307964

It is cool here this morning, but they are calling for a front to come thru with a chance of tornados!! Never know around here...

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9308216

Raining right now. Rain is expected to continue off and on over night. 70 predicted for todays high.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9308221

It was lower 70's here today and beautiful. Not supposed to be so nice tomorrow. Probably are getting your rain Mike.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9308267

It did cloud up this evening, lots of wispy clouds. There was a gorgeous sunset. Wish I could have stopped to take some pics, but I didn't have time to do that.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9308652

We had such a nice day yesterday and I was really anticipating our Detroit Tigers game and it ended up cancelled because of rain. I don't understand why they couldn't of played during the day, it was absolutely beautiful. I don't know who schedules all these games at night but I don't think they are too smart. Players had to play one evening a few days ago in 49 degree weather. It would have been warmer to play in the afternoon for sure. I guess its all about money and ratings.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 18, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9308764

Cindy, I have a friend who plays for the Detroit Tigers! He used to play at Green Bay - we went to one game in Green Bay! It was -6 at kickoff, and got colder the rest of the game!!! This southern gal was FROZEN SOLID!! ^_^
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9308871

Oh my, that is quite cold. I bet you were frozen, lol.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 18, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9308902

Yeah, a friend of ours suggested we take those packets of stuff that you 'activate' and keep in your pockets to keep your hands warm, etc. People use them around here a lot hunting. So, we went into the restroom right before the game started and put a packet in each boot. By the time we got all the layers of clothes back on, my feet were nice and toasty. Went outside into the stadium and walked down THREE steps and set down at our seats. By the time I sat down my feet were already cold :( - NOT a good sign! I have NEVER ever been that cold in all my life, and if my friend had not been actually PLAYING, I would have went back inside! There were people there with NO shirts on!! Don't know how they didn't develop pneumonia!!

It was a once in a lifetime experience - and I understand it was a REALLY big deal since a lot of die hard packer fans never get the opportunity to go to a game ... but I swore I would never go that late in the season again! ^_^ Was really hoping he would get traded closer to home so we might could see him play again. With the kids school schedules, we can't make a Sunday game currently because of their classes, because we have to drive!

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9309201

It;s been in the lower 90's upper 80's here so it's the start of our "spring" ... next week not a 90 degree in site so hopefully summer is over. You should see the nurseries. They are filled to the brim with the most beautiful colors and varieties. Unfortunately, just like spring, they have plants that won't survive here more than a few months. So we go with the standby's petunias etc in the winter and vincas etc in the summer. Lantanas, mexican bird of paradise, oleanders, rueilla, etc. are pretty much year round.

I love this time of year!

Sue G

P.S. I think I'll take nursery pics this weekend to post for those of you that are dealing with cold already (hehehe)

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9309258

Well, the players at those games stay warm, I'm sure. They must work up a sweat. Maybe that's why they schedule games at night. Well, that, and more people will go, as they are off work by then.

Sue, I used to love that time of year over there, too. I remember my first year living in Tempe, then shortly moving to Chandler. I first moved over there at the end of Oct. It was in the 80's. Then that first winter I ended up doing a lot of hiking. I also checked out the Desert Botanical Garden. Gorgeous! I miss the winters there.

The weather here was sunny and in the mid 60's today. Extremely pleasant, and I was wishing it could stay like that all winter. I got in a nice walk with one of my clients, and even hung out of the beach with her for about 1/2 an hour. Like heaven!

Tomorrow we're getting rain, and into Sat. morning, but should be nice after that, so I'll get some work done this weekend.

Karen
KsMirasol
Liberal, KS

October 18, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9309307

Well i am happy as can be. It's been sunny every day this week, and cool in the evenings. I planted a small bed monday evening, looks like my pretties will be okay. Even better is the forecast for this next ten days. Sunny and in the 80's with the highest this Sunday with 87 F 40's and low 50's in the evenings. Looks like my daylily's will be okay too when I get them in and planted, soon I hope. Yipee!!! Do you think the forecast for the next 10 days on weather channel are correct? Keeping my fingers crossed!! I am sneaking these two pics below even though this is not a plant id thread but can anyone id one of these two plants?. I bought both a few years ago in town lost both when i moved, and haven't been able to find them again. I thought 1st one was called angelique? The other at top left with yellow looking flowers that reseeded (alot) was chocolate something??? Help!!

Martina

Thumbnail by KsMirasol   Thumbnail by KsMirasol         

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9310016

My ideal place to live would be where it's 75 degrees every day and has a good slow rain once a week. Is there such a place? (With no humid summers) and nobody mention San Diego - too expensive LOL
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9310120

Sounds perfect to me CheerMom!!!! Raining here today and probably will be raining most of the day tomorrow.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9312126

LOL @ CheerMom! Cause when I was reading that, I was thinking "San Diego". LOL! It's the only place I know that has a near perfect climate. Probably part of why it's so expensive.

KsMirasol, those plants don't look familiar to me. Sorry. I wish we were getting your weather. Not that it isn't nice here, but I'm feeling chilly this morning. High today is supposed to be 63. It's 62 right now. Would love it if it got to 70. 80 would be even nicer, as long as the humidity was low. Yesterday was about 65, I think. Nice gardening weather, and I did get a lot done.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 22, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9312375

LOL I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing - San Diego - except I wasn't sure if they had humidity or not since i have never been there. Granted, I think ANY place with those temps year around, no humidity (or low) and sunshine most days would be an expensive place to live!!! otherwise everyone would be there!! :)

I played hookey from all the work I need to do at home and went with my husband to NW Arkansas to a huge craftsfair there. We used to get to go occasionally to it, but the last time we went was 2000 !! It was a last minute thing - didn't decide until Thursday around noon that we were going and we took off that evening after work. Drove up to NW Ar and then went to the craft fair on Friday, left pretty early Saturday morning headed back home to try to make at least part of the game at the University where are two youngest are attending (also where my husband played on the FB team a few years ago). We did make a stop at an antique mall on the way home because we were both tired of riding, so we missed the first half of the game...but we did catch the end - but they lost :( They had been ranked 10th in the nation in their classification until Saturday.

The weather was super nice for the fair - it was in the 40s when we got up but it warmed up nicely to 75 during the day with a breeze. Then Saturday it was 40 when we got up again, and then hit 80+ back in South Arkansas during the day. Two weeks prior we had just about frozen at the ballgame...this weekend everyone got sunburned! :)

It is another pretty day here today - probably 80 degrees or so outside. I did work in my yard yesterday - got some more things in my foundation planting, and will work more in it today.

Trying to soak it all in before the time change comes and it is dark when I get home :(

Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9312672

Oh, I will hate the dark days when the time change comes. We should leave it at daylight savings all year. I don't mind the dark in the morning. I hate it when it's dark when I get home at night.

Turned out to be a nice day today, although I pretty much frittered most of it away. Got caught up on the computer, then was really tired and took a nap. Then a friend came over, and we ended up chatting away for at least an hour. Got maybe an hour and a half of work done, all weeding. I sure wish I had this week off from work. I have so much I want to get done. I think next year I'm taking 2 weeks off in the fall to get work done at home.

Genna, sounds like you had a great time. I love going to craft fairs and antique shops. Will probably go to several around Christmas time.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9315500

Woke up to 4" of snow this morning. Yuck!! Luckily I got all projects done that was planned. Even got my studded tires mounted yesterday and oil change so I am ready for winter. Now if my mind was ready too...that's another story.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9315522

Snow...oh, no!!!!!! I don't want snow here, yet, but that hurricane headed our way may bring snow to some areas. I'm near the coast, though, so we'll only get rain.

Today was gorgeous weather, sunny and in the low 60's. Tomorrow will be sunny again and about 66. Oh, I sure wish I wasn't working. Wish I could play hooky. Well, Saturday should be good. I have a lot to do. Sunday won't be so bad, either. Monday looks like rain. Hurricane coming our way Tues/Wed.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9315619

Karen, I can remember those hurricanes when I lived in both NY and MA years ago. We don't either here, nor tornadoes in Wy. Just wind, and more wind, at times.

Keep safe next week
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 26, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9315849

It is a COLD wind too, isn't it?? I don't envy that at all !

Do you just leave your studded tires on all season? just curious...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9315941

NY and NJ are going to get the worst of the storm, but we'll see what we get here. I keep checking the weather report. Not that I don't do that several times a day, anyways.

When I lived in Reno, NV we didn't get the hurricanes or tornadoes there. Like in WY, we got a lot of wind. Same for AZ, though less wind there, actually. They had dust storms there at times, and BIG thunderstorms, sometimes microbursts, which is kind of like a tornado, a big burst of very strong wind. The dust storms in AZ are called haboobs. Weird name.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9316330

That's where "LYLE" got the name for his new intro. Haboob. http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/detail.php?id=168231&name=Haboob

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9316563

Yep, I knew that. And it's a very nice daylily, too. I remember the huge haboob they had in Phoenix this past year.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9316595

Well at the top of this thread there is mention of July and temps in the 100's remembering those myself and 80's yesterday, and now it is 36 degrees outside, how is that for the frying pan to the fridge!!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 26, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9316612

Same here - was in the 80s yesterday. Right now it is 32 - and will drop in to the 30s for the first time tonight. :( Although I think it is supposed to be back in the 60s tomorrow. I am not ready for winter...

It has rained here on and off all day so there has been a lot of moisture in the air which makes it feel even colder - especially considering the stark change. I hope tomorrow is nice and rain free so I can get more work done in the yard. made a trip to Lowe's tonight to get some more cow manure to help improve part of my foundation bed -

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 26, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9316630

gen2026, No I don't leave my studded tires on all year. At almost $500 that would be too expensive to wear studs down too quickly. I want them to last a few years.

Karen,
I lived in Northen Arizona for 2 years, a dinky town called Winslow (Standing on the Corner in Winslow Arizona) was written there. The town is east of Flagstaff. Anyway, I hated it.

Snow again but only 1" over 4" from yesterday. Night temp at 20 degrees.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9316634

I was in phoenix when it went bankrupt back in 70 ,of course so had Chicago and east Houston to name a few cities.East Houston was a ghost town for a long time ,thought for a while it was where they filmed the omega man starring Charleston Heston . Phoenix went from a population near 30,000 to less than 18,000 in a week! man that was a weird time.

You weren't by chance the babe the Eagles were singing about were you?Watching life going on ,hoping to be some where other back then.Maybe hoping they might take you along with them .lol Or did they?

I "ain't not a "lookin" forward to any of it a "snowin" myself any ole how or way"!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 27, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9316902

LOL... how funny, Winslow, AZ. ... at least everyone knows the name now I guess! :)
Well, if they are old enough to know the Eagles anyway...

Blomma, I just meant do you leave them on for the entire winter season??? I wasn't sure if your roads would clear back off and you would have to put them on and off, on and off etc which seems like a real pain! Or if you live in a rural area that will basically keep snow til spring... being from the south - just not familiar with those things! (Thank goodness!!)

It is cold here this morning- 40 degrees... been waiting for it to warm up some - supposed to get to 60, but gotta get out and get busy! Too much to do...

Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9317273

Weather was nice here till the afternoon. Went to a friend's for a bbq, and it was cold at her place by about 10 degrees, seemed like. She lives right on the coast, though I'm not that far inland.

Blomma, I love AZ, but I lived near Phoenix, in Mesa. I loved the desert, the canyons, mountains, cactus, etc. Loved the dry heat and the nice winters down in the desert. Might not have liked Winslow if they get a lot of snow. I don't like much snow, personally.

Bracing for the storm here. Supposed to arrive tomorrow night.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 27, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9317295

Karen, are ya'll supposed to get lots of rain? or will you get some snow out of the hurricane? Hope it isn't bad!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9317830

Karen and all in the path of the storm, hang in there. We are currently getting a little drizzle right now at 47f. Took a few pics of what's blooming today. I will post those as soon as I load them on the pc to "fall to winter blooms". I have to take some online training right now. Have a great Sunday everyone!!
Mike

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9318008

Thanks, Mike. You have a good one.

Genna, we are expecting lots of rain and wind. Wind is expected to be about 25-45 mph, with gusts up to 65 mph. Pretty windy, but could be a lot worse. I'm not sweating it too much, but we did bring in all the lawn chairs, and I brought in most of my big pots of tropicals, and a few small pots as well.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 29, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9318846

Hope that it isn't bad - heard some places are expected to get 2' of snow...heard others will gets lots of water! Hope everyone stays safe!

I worked a good part of Saturday on my foundation planting - actually just ONE end of it :( I have sandy soil to begin with, but this end of my foundation bed was where they had dumped the washed sand for the foundation block and brick work when the house was built. I had areas that were still just washed sand. My husband took the front end loader and dug down into some of the areas with washed sand and I attempted to spread the sand out over the area so it would be more diluted. Friday night, I made a run to Lowe's to get some additional cow manure and peat humus to be ready to work on Saturday. Once the weather warmed up a little I got out and added those 30 bags to the area - that made 67 bags of stuff that has been added to this one area in the past 2 weeks! I FINALLY got it to where I looked like I had somewhat decent soil. I have used composted cow manure, a little peat humus (because i took all the bags of cow manure they had left fri night!), and mushroom compost in the area. I am sure it could use more, but i finally feel good about putting plants in the area! Up until this past week, this area only had 3 crepe myrtles in it - the area is about 26' X 26'. I got all the soil improved, planted 3 curly leaf ligustrums in the area to have at least something that was evergreen... planted 2 Silver King Euonymus to try to eventually hide a generator in this area, and added a stepping stone walkway to cut thru from the front of my house to the garage area. We NEVER walk around, so I knew I might as well plan for there to be a shortcut ^_^... I am attaching a photo of this end of the bed. The photo was taken on Saturday evening. Yesterday afternoon, I planted 27 of my daylilies in this area as well - got over half of the pots off my front porch ^_^ ... the black pots in the middle of the photo are where I plan to put three knockout roses in the middle. This photo is actually taken from the garage side of the bed - you can barely see the concrete slab on the left side of the photo where the generator is sitting...
Still have a LONg way to go...but it is FINALLY beginning to look like I want it to!

Genna

Thumbnail by gen2026

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9318914

This is a really bad storm for those living in NJ, DE, NY, CT. Not expecting it to be too bad here, but bad enough. I was wrong about the rain amounts. We aren't expecting a lot in our area. Much more wind than rain.

Genna, that's looking great! You sure made a dent in it. That's a lot of bags of manure and peat. If you use the composted cow manure at a top dressing/mulch every year, that will go a long way to gradually improving the soil. The worms will love it and break it down real well.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 29, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9318954

Does using something like that work as a mulch to keep down weeds? or do they just thrive in that environment? I had planned to use cypress mulch - but the composted cow manure actually costs less per bag than the mulch ...although i have three pallets of cypress mulch that have been sitting in front of my house since the end of May :( I am looking forward to getting all that distributed and get those pallets gone! Had hoped to have it done already - but not quite there. It seems that cypress mulch breaks down fairly fast too...much faster than I would have thought it would!
My goal was to try to have it all done before time changed this coming weekend...no way am I going to make it!! I will be out of town all weekend, so I just have Mon - Thurs afternoons after work to see what I can finish toward my goal. After that, the work will probably be done in 15- 30 minute increments after work because after that it will be dark :( I really hate it being almost dark when i get home!

I am so happy to finally be making some progress - albeit sllloooooowwwwwww

Prayers for all those in the path of Sandy - looks like it is going to pack a punch!

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9319897

We have had a lot of wind from Sandy and today is just terrible. Pouring rain and 35 to 50 mph winds. A good day to stay indoors.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9319911

Genna Nice Job. You should probably start your own compost pile to have some on hand.
It's very windy here also. No rain yet, but, based on the radar we may get some from the remnants of this storm. We could use some rain as I am getting the garden hose drained and prepared for storage. Putting my Plumerias in the garage till this weekend due to the strong winds. I want to spray all the plants before I bring them indoors. Wish I could stay indoors. Off to work I go... LOL!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 30, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9319916

Hello everyone, Same here---VERY cold and rainy with a touch of snow even:( Went out early this morning to take my son to school and windshield was covered with white slush:( Wind is horrible and rain hitting you feels like someone is throwing tiny rocks at your face:( YUCK!!!!! Wish I could stay at home indoors but it's off to work till 9:00 tonight. Everyone stay safe and warm!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 30, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9319972

Mike, I have made attempts at a compost pile with little to no luck! :( My first compost pile was out in a large pasture type area away from our house - out in the full sun... it just quickly became overrun with grass and weeds - no real way to keep it clean. So, a friend of mine suggested digging a hole in my small shady area and start piling my stuff there - which I have done, but I think the squirrels, raccoons, and possums rummage thru my 'compost' and take what they want out of it while scattering the rest! Not much of a 'pile' left when they are finished! LOL... so i have yet to have anything that I can utilize out of my compost. (I guess I need to put a fence around it - although if my suspicions are right - they would just climb over!) I do save all my coffee grounds which add up fairly quickly - and I usually add them directly to an area in my foundation planting, or around some of the other plants that I am trying to build up the soil. For the past several weeks, all coffee grounds and egg shells have been going in to this end area of this foundation planting because the soil there was so bad. I didn't even have much problem with grass or weeds in this area becaus the soil was so pitiful. :( As you can see from the pic above, the nice dark soil is a nice change from what has been being in this area. I figure the coffee grounds and the egg shells will mix well enough that I do not have to wait on them to break down really. Everything else still goes to the pile - to feed the local riff raff I guess. Curious how ya'll handle that type of problem in your compost piles?

I got the 3 double red knockout roses planted in the middle of that section yesterday evening. My husband brought home 4 from work because they had a buy one, get one free sale going on. I also managed to get cardboard and paper down in another part of the bed before he got home, and put out 4 bags of mulch! SLOWWW - at this rate, it will take 20 days just to get out one pallet! Oh well, I just keep plugging and plugging away...thinking eventually I will be able to say it is finished!

I also need to repot some of the DLs that it looks like might have to be in pots over winter. Several of the ones I ended up planting in the ground were in the larger pots - some I have left are still in small 6" pots - and I think they will over winter better in the larger pots. I am going to try my best to get some places lined out for them this week - if not, I guess they will get repotted and placed up next to the house for over wintering...

I don't envy ya'll snowing/icy conditions at all !! We have had a hard frost here the past 3 mornings - and I don't even like that !! I am not ready for winter - but then I NEVER am!

Genna
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9319975

I have a large black compost bid that has a lid on it. I have been making compost for years but the only downside that it takes a long time. Usually takes a good year and a half for material to break down. In the l0 years I have had my composter, I think I have only used its compost 3 times. Mine is in full sun also. I think I may be partially to blame for my lack of getting enough compost though because you are supposed to turn the compost from time to time and I never seem to remember to do that.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 30, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9319987

Well, I would have had to have had a yard full of black bins to have ever come up with enough compost for the 200 ft of foundation planting that i am working on... but, it would sure be nice to have some going occasionally to help improve beds in the future! I guess I need to request a bin for Christmas... the wildlife might be a little disappointed when they don't have a feast waiting on them though... ^_^ Something was dragging my watermelon rinds about 20 yds this summer and would eat it down to only the skin - guess they didn't like that part... LOL.

I had a small bag of shredded paper from work that I started to till directly into my bed I was working on - just had planned to scatter it on top of the area (it would not have made much of dent because the bag is small and the area is large) and then just tilling it in. Has anyone tried this? I think I read somewhere that the shredded paper would break down pretty fast and help build up the soil - but i couldn't remember for sure if I was right on that so I decided not to add it.

I would like to have one of those bins that just flips from end to end or rolls to make turning what is inside a lot easier.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9320055

Yes, I would too Gen. They have the bins on rollers with a handle to turn them. If I ever decide to get another one I would get one of those types. My goal this spring is to get a rain barrel to save on water.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9321071

Only getting to 57 here today, very overcast, and we're expecting rain. We fared pretty well at our house during the storm. Only a few brief power outages and one longer one, maybe about an hour or so. The yard is a mess with leaves and branches everywhere, but no trees down.

Genna, yes, the composted cow manure works great as a mulch, and looks great, too. I've used it for several years now, although I never get all the beds done. One, I have too many beds, two, I don't have time, and three, I don't have money to buy enough manure to do all the beds. Keeps the weed seeds from sprouting, but won't keep perennial weeds out (e.g. Bermuda grass and such). No mulch will work for that.

Genna, I have a black plastic compost bin with a lid, like Cindy does, that we got for our kitchen scraps to go in, and that keeps the critters out. The rest of my compost piles, wich are just big piles, for the most part, are all grass clippings, weeds, leaves, etc., so very little critter appeal there. Anyhow, you might want to get a contained bin for your kitchen scraps. Cindy's right, takes a long time for everything to break down, not unless you're willing to put in all the work to keep turning the pile and layering so it breaks down quickly. And if you do the sit and wait technique, you end up with lots of weed seeds, so a top dressing of your soil should be topped off with a weed-free mulch. I have so many piles going that I alway have compost available. I would love to have one of those rolling bins, too.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9326542

Where did everyone go?

Anyhow, a had nice weather this past weekend. Got a lot of cleanup work done. had a big campfire art our house Sunday night.

Nor'easter is on its way. That will mean more mess to clean up. Ugh!

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9326580

"Round 2 is a comin," I bet you ""could"" wait?huh, lol.. Power was out Sunday morning here, rolled out of bed to a house dropping to 30 degrees, wake up it said ,that will get ya there in hurry brrr kidoh.
Still "a doin" flower beds , and general cleaning same as always
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 7, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9326952

Oh my, that doesn't sound like a good way to wake up juhur! I am spoiled to my electricity...

The weather was beautiful in Branson this past weekend... down to about 40 - mid 40s at night and up to 70 -75 during the day. We had a good rain at home while I was gone, but we didn't have any where I was at. So my new trees that i have planted got a nice rain - sure they appreciated that.

Had frost again this morning... guess that will about wipe out all the blooms that were still hanging on. :(

Genna

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9327158

they ,the forecasters. are saying we may have a couple of 60 degree days beginning Friday here, I can go for that !!!!low 50's here today, not to bad at all ,little wet though as it rained lat night,
Been mulling around planting a little garlic(wrong thread I know) looking over my new acquisitions ,All my little seeds of BELLE COOK X FRENCH CAVALIER and AUTUMN SOJOURN X SAILING AT DAWN have sprouted and are growing in their grow bags, Might get blooms next year from some of them by their size,growing like the jolly green giant a couple of them!lol

Yes gen;it was different awakening that way, i could pass on that as an electricity lover myself!
and I love it when it rains as I plant my plants, they seem to do so much better when that happens.

Okay nutsfor; How are doing with the storms!! are you still there or did you move to Jersey for a closer look!! Hey I know !!?The power is out now and you won't be able to reply for a while? Man,,, storms of the 21st century huh!? Lets all go back to 1960!! lol

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9327548

No power outages here so far. Weather has been bad all day. Lots of gusty winds and rain. We're sitting tight. Tomorrow will be a little better. Juhur7, we're going to be getting some 60 degree days this weekend, as well. Looking forward to that.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9327710

Today is sunny and beautiful. We had a very heavy frost last night but supposed to get up in lower 50's today and tomorrow.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9327964

Today is why people come to fl in the winter. Its simply beautiful and looks like more to come. I just love it when you can go back outside and not get attacked by mosquitos. Lower humidity so you can breath clean clear air. Like anywhere, wont last forever so enjoying while I can. Problem is tho, it is VERY dry. My yard and beds are nothing but sand. Filled all the birdbaths this morning. I had dumped them so the mosquitos didnt breed in them. OO are the birds happy.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9327966

I am sitting here with the TV telling me it is sunny and 55... Well it is cloudy , about 46 and drizzling how about that...Only you all know everything on the internet is true also!!lol I think the only thing I ever believed about it all for sure ,is that sliced market bread was introduced in 1935, Only I was not there for the opening of that either.
Electronics are fun ,only as absolutes they are ridiculous!!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9328001

Still very stormy weather out there today. Blowing like a son-of-a-gun, raining like crazy. I huge pine tree fell across the road where I was out driving today, and I had to take a detour. Hate being out in this weather, but I have to for my job. In and out of the car. Would have been a good day for staying home.

Juhur7, I looked at the current weather report this morning on my Weather Channel app, and it said foggy and overcast. Ha!!! It was pouring and windy as heck!

Wish I was in FL right now, GG!

Karen

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9328340

We had a high of 92 on Monday and we're supposed to have a high of 62 on Saturday. I guess the few days in between was supposed to be Fall - LOL
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9328360

I want just one good 'nip'. It makes the oranges so much sweeter. One freeze in Jan or Feb to kill off some of the bugs, and that will do it for me and any more freezing type temps. I love the cool weather so, pretty short lived tho.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 8, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9328488

Was 27 degrees this morning with lilght frost on the windshield. Rose to 55 degrees and sunny. All garden chores are done. I planted my Iris seed crosses tonight after soaking for 3 weeks. They are in planted in potting soil in plastic shoe box. The shoebox is on the north side of my house and will remain there all winter. Seeds will sprout spring with 55 to 70 degree temp.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9328585

Very cloudy out this morning. I think we may get some rain soon. Supposed to be in the lower 50's again. That's unusual for November here.
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 9, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9328719

Cindy, is it usually cooler there in November? or warmer?

It was 39 this morning at my house with a fairly heavy frost. But, it is supposed to get close to 80 today. I think there is a chance of rain this weekend, but didn't get to listen to the weather last night so not sure when they are calling for that.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9328834

It's 50 here right now, and lots of sunshine. Feels so good after the storm of the last 2 days. By Monday we are supposed to hit 60. Will feel like a heatwave, and I may be out in my garden in shorts. I still have not taken out my winter clothes yet, but will be doing it this weekend. Will keep out a few pairs of shorts for gardening, just in case. Have a lot of debris to clean up in the yard right now.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9329452

I have seen Novembers here (like l0 years ago) get down in the teens. The last 2 years have been very warm for November.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9329746

As of 3 o'clock it is 71 degrees and climbing still ,sunny and warm UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!
All kinds of things to do and getting done! wow!!!

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 10, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9330051

Woke up to 3" of snow and 21 degrees. Snowed of and on all day with another 2" of snow. Tomorrow windy and cold. Monday to be warmer and sunny.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9330478

Juhur7, I wish it were that warm here, but it is 60 right now, so I can't complain. I helped out a friend get 35 daylilies planted, and did some weeding for her. Now km going outside to do some mowing before it gets dark.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9330500

A minute here doing things ,I mowed yesterday ! one day ahead of the weather ,windy here really windy ,temperature expected to drop to 27 to 30 tonight 65 RIGHT NOW!!! BRR-- IS THAT DROP GOING TO FEEL COLD!!!!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9330860

Raining here right now. We are supposed to get the 30 degree drop here tomorrow. I agree, brrrrr.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9330872

Went from 70 yesterday to estimated 35 for a high today. Did get some work done yesterday. It would have been a great day if the "Bears" had won! A few flurries was spotted this morning after a nice well needed rain yesterday. The leaves have all fallen except for the W/Willow tree. Putting on extra long johns (LOL!) to get some stuff done while I am off today. Hope to make last trip with garden waste to local compost site this Wednesday AM. Pretty much broke off all my dayliliy foliage except the evergreens that are still looking nice. I know some of you leave it there for winter protection. I am going to leave the fall planted ones alone. Mike
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9330929

We had beautiful weather yesterday too but I was stuck in the house with a stomach bug or flu type thingy. Feel much better today.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9331130

Cindy, I'm glad you are feeling better today.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9331144

Snowed this morning for about an hour, gone ,melted away quick, five minute or so white out about 9 am .rainy, cold temperature dropping , Typical day of last winter, lots of rain and cold,it's fall to winter.
All cold ,humid, and Brrrrr,... side ...us

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9331661

It was a gorgeous day today. Too bad I was so tired. All I did was mow about half of the back yard. Then I had non-gardening related things I had to do, though it want stuff I wanted to do. Temp is currently 61. We were supposed to get to 65 today. Don't know what the actual high got to, but it sure was nice.

Tonight's low it's supposed to be 56, so my bedroom window will stay open. Tomorrow temps are going down in the afternoon after a morning with a high of 65. We're supposed to get some rain, too. Tomorrow night will be getting down to 30. Brrrr!

Glad you're feeling better, Cindy.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 12, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9331708

41F today, 25 tonight with 44F tomorrow. At least no snow in forecast. Off today and wanted to do some outside work but too cold for me. Bought a Tuff shed from Home Depot that I finished painting to match my house. Had time to paint the inside light green. The wood is raw and can warp if not painted. Bought lumber to make shelves but too cold to paint them. Saved up from plant sales and bought the shed cash. Took 3 years. I don't like to use credit cards unless emergency, which this was not.

If anyone wants to know, it is really a well built shed. It was built on site. It is 8x10 ft.the only size that would fit, though I wanted a larger one but would shade my irises. I ordered 2- 3x3ft windows on the long side and a 2x2 ft window facing west on the short side.

I will love to put it to use in the spring. My other shed is beginning to fall apart. Came with the house. Will take it down and have daylily planting area.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9331791

Thanks Karen and Mike!!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9331804

Lilly, that's a "Tuff" looking shed. Very nice. At least you got to paint before the weather gets bad.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9332133

hemlady; So we are over that little flu -like bug ,and all ready now are you!!

blomma; I like that ,!! I want one.

37 degrees and sunny , light breeze, typical sunny cold day for this time of year.

I am feeling silly again,, sitting here thinking everything from flowers and goods on these threads all look good enough to steal!lol my wits , goodness oh my!!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9332760

Yes, thanks juhur7, was just a 24 hour thing I guess.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9332963

That's a nice looking shed, blomma.

Only in the 40's here today, with a cold north wind. Supposed to get to 47, but doesn't feel too bad in the sun. It's partly cloudy. We got rain yesterday. Started out warm, but then cooled off pretty quickly in the mid morning.

I heard a rumor that we might get some snow on Thanksgiving. Wouldn't be the first time. I remember one Thanksgiving where it was really warm out, around 70 I think. Went with Dad and my dog to Plymouth that day to take a walk. There was still some good fall color out, and I got a lot of nice pics from that day.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 14, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9333007

Well, it was in the upper 70s here over the weekend. Even made it into the 80s on Saturday, but then the rain front came thru on Sunday afternoon and the temps started dropping. It was 28 Monday morning, and 29 yesterday morning with extremely hard frosts both nights. It was cold the entire night so that will eliminate everything that was left blooming... :(

It was a little better this morning - upper 30s I think - no frost on the windshield.

Blomma, like that shed, it looks very nice. Will you use it as a greenhouse or as a potting shed? or just a storage area?

Cindy, glad to hear your stomach bug was short lived! I HATE stomach viruses... It is always so much better when they leave quickly! I recently read that you could take a spoonful of Dr tichnor's in a glass of water to almost instantly stop a stomach bug - but I have not tried it. I HOPE to remember that if I come down with one this winter! I hate Dr T but I am willing to try it to not be sick!

I spent a good part of the weekend working on putting down cardboard, newspaper and mulch in the large area at the end of my foundation planting that I have been working on. I managed to get the new mulch area, and the old mulch area that had previously ended at the end of my house tied together and mulch around my stepping stones. I am always disappointed at how little it seems that I have accomplished - but this was another 5 hrs of work on top of all that I have already done! I figure I have over 20 hrs of work in just this small area! It would go much faster if I wasn't putting down the cardboard and paper - the mulch goes really fast, but i HOPE it pays off in the long run helping to keep weeds and grass out of the area.

Then I moved the far end of my house where I still have over 60' of bed to do! I managed to get part of this area cardboarded and mulched prior to the rain Sunday afternoon, then I worked on it a little more after work on Monday. I have been hoarding cardboard and newspaper for over 2 yrs in preparation of doing this huge foundation bed, but I am already out of cardboard and very near to running out of newspaper... amazing how much is in there so far! But the worms love it and hopefully in the long haul it will really improve this area.

Have a great day everyone!

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026         

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9333193

That's really looking great, Genna, and all that newspaper and cardboard should help a great deal in keeping the weeds down and improving the soil once it all breaks down. Keep up the good work!

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9334855

Cardboard and paper with all that mulching looks like a lot work, I'M sure it will be worth the effort, looks nice now, Will look better still when the fauna establishes and matures More pretties for us all!! (I like old plants)
About 50 here today typical sunny fall day, I had a ground hog come by for a salad ,it was really enjoying all those tender fall green primer leaves for next year from all my flowers.(about the size of a full grown badger with a blonde pelt, kinda pretty fur, But it was hungry)A little to hungry for my liking!!!!)
Brought a couple of more little Daylilies in for under lights and my plant corner, others will stay outside as they are bigger and look healthy enough to take the winter with no problem.Good strong little plants(YEA).
Always nice to come post here and look forward with you all!^_^

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9334933

51 and sunny here today with little or no wind, just beautiful.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9335033

Down to the low 30's at night and highs of 60-61 today and all this coming week!

Wish you guys would send us some rain here. We are supposed to have had 8-1/2" by now and only have 5-1/3. So, we are REALLY dry in Rio Rancho. I'll take snow too!

All my buds on AARON'S LITTLE WHOPPER & ISIS UNVEILED froze up last week, so will now have to wait until next year.

Genna I really like your shed AND what you have been doing in your foundation planting. Looks great. I have a TUFF shed too, in a barn type and can really put a lot of stuff in it. I'd like to get another one, but I don't have the room for it.

Linda

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9335135

Today it only got to the mid 40s. It's 33 right now. Will get to 49 for a high tomorrow. Not too bad, but the wind will be NNE at 10-15 mph. I need to get some mowing done, among other things.

Juhur7, I would not be too happy to see a ground hog in my garden, that's for sure!

Linda, sorry those buds froze. I'd send you some rain if I could but we're a little dry this week., and I don't see any rain forecast in the next ten days.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9335264

Mid fifties are predicted now thru thanksgiving. I cut all my remaining scapes off to take any stress off the plants. We are down on rain also. Small chance on Tuesday. I will be watering my recently planted babies the next couple days so that they wont have any excuse not to survive the winter. LOL!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9335269

Genna, you are doing a great job. Keep plugging away at it. You will be rewarded next spring.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9336257

It's 47 out there now, and lots of sunshine. Went for a nice walk with my nephew and a friend and one of my dogs at a huge wildlife management area near me. This was the first time I'd been there. Really liked it.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9336283

Karen, glad you are having fun.Going to 60 today. 65 expected for turkey day.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 18, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9336320

Karen,
thanks, I love it. Will be great to use next spring

gen2026,
I will use the shed mainly for garden tools since my other one that came with the house is falling apart. I wanted the windows for seedlings to use until safe to plant outside May 30.

Beautiful day today at 56F degrees. For Thanksgiving, another beautiful day with 52F day, 29F night. On Thanksgiving going to my daughter and son-in-law for turkey dinner. No plans for shopping. Likewise Black Friday. Made that mistake some years ago.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 1:40 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9337393

It is a nice day here 60F ,rain tomorrow morning or tonight? Looking forward to family and things for Thanksgiving.

Still learning with the little plants I have, Looks like every one has been enjoying a few nice days.Me too!!!
Looking over all the ideas for house and garden,lots to read through and about here.
The old heirloom Daylilies are mostly dormant now the ones I have put in this fall are still growing some, guess the soil is warmer from added compost..
Yes I 'm thinking about things again!!lol
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 19, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9337421

Karen, looks like a beautiful place for a walk. The lake is very pretty. It was a beautiful weekend here and today as well... in the 70s with beautiful sunshine. Been in mid - upper 30s at night, but has really been pretty during the day. Unfortunately, I spent all day Saturday inside cleaning like a mad woman and cooking! My oldest son and his wife came home - only the third time he has been home since early August 2011 when he started med school. We usually go to his house because of his crazy schedule. So this was the first time I had all my kids HOME since last Christmas... it was nice! His bday is the 24th, and so we celebrated this weekend. He will be going to his inlaws for Thanksgiving and has a test the following week so his weekend will need to be spent studying... so it was really nice to have him home. I cleaned all day and then cooked so that my sister and her husband could join us for supper. Then sunday morning I was back up early again to start baking again for our annual Thanksgiving potluck at our church. Then this morning, back up early AGAIN to take my youngest son to the hospital for gall bladder surgery. I hate that I have not worked in the yard the past 3 days...they have been PERFECT weather for it, but other obligations took priority.

Hopefully, tomorrow afternoon will be pretty and maybe I can get a little more done once I get off work - need to get my new DLs in the ground, and maybe get some more mulch out as well.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9337664

Thanks, Mike and Genna. It really was a nice place to walk. The place is over 2000 acres, mostly old cranberry bogs that are going back to nature, so it's very open. Not a good place to walk on a windy day.

Genna, I know what you mean by other things taking priority over garden chores. Happened to me this weekend, too. Got just about no yard work done. Now will have to wait till next weekend.

Overcast with temps in the 40s today. A but chilly.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9337826

Our upcoming Thanksgiving temps will be the warmest in over 40yrs. I will be out in the early morning to try and get some things done.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9337923

I haven't checked our weather report but it wouldn't surprise me if it were warm. I always remember snow on Thanksgiving but haven't seen that in several years here.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2012

Post #9337932

It's back to the 79-81 range here. Hope we get some rain soon, though.
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 20, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9337943

Yeah, they are saying it might be in the 80s here today!! Slight chance of rain late THursday night or Friday morning, but it is very small percentages...

My son's did some duck hunting over the weekend...kinda hard to find much water to hunt on because it has been such a dry year!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9338720

Got up in the high 40s today. Went for a walk at a place called Veterana Commemorative Town Forest, a park that encompasses 50 acres. Really nice trails through all wooded areas.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9338726

Question? Are relaxing vacation , boredom , or general as to enjoying nature and searching for late blooming wildflowers. We do have a nice park about that size here ,slightly larger with a shallow lake that is fed by the White River.
Parks like that are still nice hope you enjoy it as much as it sounds like you do.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9339007

Oh, I enjoyed it very much. Not a vacation. There are many parks such as these in our area, and I like to go to various ones when I have the time. Don't go so much during the gardening season, as I just don't have the time. Yesterday I was with a client (I work with adults with developmental disabilities), and we decided to go on a nature walk. I like to take my dogs when I can, but I can't bring them when I'm working.

Today is nice weather. Around 50, I think. Mix of sun and clouds. Wish I was off. Oh, well, I'm off tomorrow. Will be cooking the turkey, but will also be getting some yard work done, as well. Need to get some last minute daylilies planted and get some mowing done. Will probably be the last mow of the season, though maybe not. Hoping it will be. Temp is supposed to be 54, and up to 57 on Friday. I'm working Friday, though. Taking someone to a movie, among other things.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9339366

60 AGAIN TODAY 64 for tomorrow Happy Thanksgiving to every one and all. That is where I will be this year,with family and relatives.
I know what therapy and working with ability difficulties and injuries are like.Our eldest living family member is a health aid.It is nice to be able to do something for some once in a while besides only having sympathy, Shows your a good person with a hopeful heart!..

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 21, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9339473

60F today, tomorrow 39F for turkey day. Rest of the week in the 50'sF and sunny. I am done mowing and have winterized my mower. Lawn don't need mowing it since the grass is dormant.

Going to my daughter's for Thanksgiving. My kids are all grown and married so no more cooking on holidays for me

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL. STAY SAFE.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9339537

Juhur7, the individuals I work with are mostly developmentally disabled, rather than physically, although some have physical disabilities. Some of the folks I work with have Down's Syndrome, some autistic, etc. It takes a certain kind of person to do a job like mine. I find it very rewarding, although it's not what I want to be doing with my life.

Karen

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9339849

Happy Thanksgiving ! 81 degrees today

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9339987

Happy Thanksgiving! 53 and sunny here. Feels like spring. Went on a really long walk today. We went to that wildlife management area again. I was walking out there on Jeans and a t-shirt, no jacket, it was that nice.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9340168

nutsfordaylily; I took it you meant it that way, difficult job at times,

You all have nicer weather with these temperatures, couple of hours today it was really nice here though

Happy Thanksgiving ! all

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9340894

You've been colder there? I would have thought that part of the country was a bit warmer, but I see that you're in the same zone as I am.

Yes, my job is difficult at times, but thankfully most of the people I work with are pretty high functioning, so it's not bad. I have worked in residential group homes, also, and many of the people in them need a lot more care, and so many who cannot communicate their needs. I found that really tough to deal with. I work better with people who can communicate, especially if they can carry on a conversation.

Anyhow, back to the weather, it was very nice today, pretty much a repeat of yesterday. My bum ankle was really painful to stand/walk on after that really long walk of yesterday. Tomorrow it's going to be colder.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9340904

Last night rain came down in wash buckets, today 30mph winds with the temperature dropping like a rock. 28 now and falling fast. it is plain old cold.
Yesterday did nothing all day,,, today usual. I miss the sun and warmth already. The old bones want that summer to return even if it was too hot..

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9340918

Oh, that is mighty cold! Yes, I yearn for summer when it gets like that. Right now we are 46. Getting to a low of 40 tonight, so not too bad. I still have to dig up my canna tubers before we get a deep freeze and they die on me. They weren't cheap.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9341074

Yesterday was cold, windy, and sleeting. Needless to say, I did not venture out amongst all the holiday shoppers.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9341309

Today is in the mid 40s, and there's a cold wind blowing. I won't be doing yard work, but I think I'll go shopping at K-Mart.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9341339

CURRENTLY 30 degrees mid to low 20's tonight . Two weeks nearly before any warm weather returns...too cold to do anything outside , when younger maybe and sometimes though.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 24, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9341438

Day started out sunny in the 50's, which isn't bad for Wyoming. Cloudy in the afternoon with 42F.

Daylily leaves are all dead, but some plants like the Ajuga have not lost its leaves.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9341514

Brrrrr! @ juhur7. That is too cold. I feel for you.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9341795

I am not sure what the temp is right now but its cold enough to snow. It is currently snowing and having a dusting on the ground. Not leaving the house today, only to feed the birds.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9342013

Cold here today. Only 40, and there's still a cold west wind. Tomorrow will get to 46, but I don't know what the wind chill will be like. It will be 10-15 mph from WSW. At least the sun will be shining all day.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9342030

It was down to 37 last night and an expected 61 today here in New Mexico. Right now it is sun shining and very clear blue skies, with no wind to speak of. I really hate the wind.

Linda

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9342093

Some wind 45 now ,weather here sounds about the same as some of yours.. It will be cold later only seasonal as it is. Enjoying the sunshine myself today .
One of these days I will put the batteries back into the digi cam that goes with this system and take a few pics of the winter seedlings. Some look pretty good and the ones outside do not seem bothered much as to 25 degree temperatures.
I just hope I can keep them well till the spring ,,,plants and blooms are so nice now as to yesterdays.(i hate losing any) As to the last sentence the really old heirlooms are nice only their were not that many that "stood out" unless you knew them and looked for them. You all enjoy your day!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 25, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9342265

Well, at 4 this morning, I had to take my son who had surgery back to the ER... it was 29 degrees at that point, but thankfully the air was fairly dry. It eventually warmed up during the day to mid 60s probably but it was afternoon before it was comfortable outside!

Didn't get much accomplished today because we were in the ER until 9 and then I came home and crashed until 12... the lack of sleep was really getting to me. Wouldn't have been in such bad shape dealing with the ER in the middle of the night except that my sister, my daughter and I traveled to Little Rock on Thursday evening and did the after thanksgiving shopping. It is an annual tradition, but what used to start at 6 am on Friday morning, now starts at 8 pm on Thursday night... so, I got up about 7;30 thursday morning and didn't go back to bed until 8:30 p.m. on FRIDAY night. Needless to say, I still needed to recover in the sleep dept last night, but that is not the way it worked out... i can barely think so not even sure if what I am typing makes sense! I think I will be going to bed EARLY tonight! :)

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9342277

Well, I hope your son is alright, Genna. I did not do Black Friday shopping.

Sounds like things are going well with your seedlings, juhur7. Good luck with them. I hope you have zero losses.

Karen
hostages
Wyoming, MN

November 26, 2012
12:15 AM

Post #9342654

It snowed Thanksgiving Day. Everytime I look out the window it is still there:(

Gary

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9342692

Gary, LOL!
Genna, I hope all is well with your son. You were making sense! LOL!
About 32f for a high today. Expecting low fifties this coming weekend.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 26, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9342851

Darn!!! Woke up to 4" of snow. Cloudy with 23F degrees. I am not going nowhere.

Genna, hope your son is OK.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9342889

It's cold here. 46 with a cold west wind. Winter is creeping up on me too fast. I'm not ready for this.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9343137

IT MADE IT TO 45 here ,and falling now, no wind ,kinda nice really.
Still anticipating possible snow tonight or tomorrow .As long as it is not windy or sleeting outside it is okay .
Winter can get slow , interesting to see what plans are for next year.Ones of many imagination has to keep going and working.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012

Post #9343350

We're supposed to get a bit of snow tomorrow, followed by rain in the evening. Unseasonably cold temps for the rest of the week. I took a walk with my friend Gretchen and my dogs around the bogs across the street. Seemed cold at first, with the wind blowing, but once we got going, we stayed warm enough. For a lot of the walk the wind was blocked by tall trees, so it worked out well. Jerry got a nice bit of running around in.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9344792

21 DEGREES HERE This morning 25 when I left the first time. It is 42 now and falling at sunset ,A cold, calm. sunny day.
Suppose to be nice tomorrow and this weekend ,maybe 50 tomorrow and 60's this weekend ,I am really hoping so. !!!
Never did see snow only frost ice and a few drizzles, and that was all right by me!! lol
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 28, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9344809

My son is doing ok I think! He returned to college Sunday night with my daughter. We took his car over to him on Monday evening ... I just didn't think I could drive over there on Sunday without falling asleep! Since he had a ride to college, it wasn't worth the risk. He had his gallbladder removed on the 19th - but had to go back to the ER on the 20th and then again on the 25th because of his diaphragm cramping up! They gave him potassium on the 20th because it was slightly low - and apparently we should have insured that his potassium intake stayed up but we didn't know that we had to be concerned with it. Apparently his body is using more or binding up more of the potassium because of the CO2 gas that they used to pump up his abdomen during the laproscopic surgery... the ER doc suggested that I keep him home until we could see the surgeon, but at the same time said there was nothing that could be done to get rid of the gas except him moving and walking... He had 3 tests scheduled for this week - with one being on Monday morning. He missed that class last monday for the surgery and he didn't feel like he should miss it again. He is a biology major and it is hard to catch up once you get behind. So, we sent him back to school with some ecodrink packets (that are like a multivitamin and contain potassium and other electrolytes), potassium pills, and a stack of bananas! He has only had one slight episode since he has been back and he just started eating bananas and drinking ecodrink and it went away quickly. So, hopefully we have at least learned how to keep it under control. I called the surgeon on Monday and he thought we were doing all the right things - plus, he was on vacation all week so it is a good thing we sent Kyle on back to school!

The weather has been a rollercoaster here. Very cold one morning, then mild the next... it was cool this morning with frost, but it warmed up and is in the upper 70s. I am sure it will drop off quickly once the sun goes down. Speaking of the sun going down, I have some stuff to do outside before it does so I better get busy!

Genna

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9345203

Genna thanks for the good news.
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 29, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9345531

Ya'll are so sweet to care. Thank you!

It was 29 this morning, now it is probably mid 70s! It is crazy the swings in temps we are getting, but I am thankful that it is at least warming up during the day! Once the sun goes down the temp starts dropping pretty quickly.

hostages
Wyoming, MN

November 30, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9346123

Snow is almost gone, should be totally gone by the weekend. It is going to be in the 50's. :)

Gary
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 30, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9346282

Well, they are calling for highs in the low 70s and mid 80s during the day and lows of only 58 - 60 for the next week or so. So crazy. Yesterday morning it was 29 - this morning probably 30 or so. The plants are going to wonder if winter is over - and we haven't gotten started yet.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9346391

58 today and partly cloudy , some of my own creation from pollinating that were planted back in September have sprouted during this cold 7 or 8 days most recent, so you might be correct! The plants are enjoying cool, cold wet weather and might be wondering weather it is spring.
More than likely they are taking advantage after a scorching summer...

That kinda gets me though that some of the seeds sprout and grow faster at 30 degrees most of the time and 20's much of the time, weird by most info!!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9346547

Glad he's doing well now, Genna. That's a lot to go through, I'm sure.

That is weird, juhur7. I would think they would sprout when it's a lot warmer.

Genna, I wish I had your weather here now. Been cold here this week, 30s and 40s during the day, 20s at night. Tomorrow's gonna be another cold day, with some rain and snow mixed, then for the next 3 days after that it will be in the mid 50s. Looking forward to having some warmer days. I just don't like the cold at all, but if it didn't get much below the 20s during the night all winter, it wouldn't be too bad.

We got a bit of snow on Tue. and Wed., but it didn't stick. That's more than fine with me!!!!

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9346699

Saturday thru Monday - 58-61. Going to get a few things done the next few days. Going to a memorial for a cousin that pass from cancer this evening. Talk about a selfless person. She was it personified. Mike
Oh spring wherefore art thou!!!!

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9347083

I spent the afternoon outside in the yard digging up a new daylily bed! Weather has been in the low 60's for several weeks with lows in the upper 30's. Today hit 64!

Linda

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2012

Post #9347211

Late to genna glad your son is well from the ills

To mike that is sad,,, as both a survivor and several members that have past from that illness all there is sometimes is hope.

63 OR OR SO for a high temp here today , got started slow and got a few things done and planted. Rain on the way they are saying...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9347245

Sorry about your cousin, Mike. That's really sad. I know a few people who are very selfless. We need to have more like them in this world. Nice pic of your daylilies.

It was c-c-c-cold here today with temps in the 30s. Some snow in the morning, changing to rain in the afternoon. Tomorrow it's going to be 55 for the high. Go figure!

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9347360

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.Everything went well. I ate my tail off at the repass. (smile) There was a change in the venue due to an electrical issue at the initial place. Saw some old familiar faces.
Got a little rain overnight. Not sure how much, but, every little bit helps. A small chance of some more within the next 48hrs. Planning on digging up some Iris today due to low production this season. That's the only downside to Iris. Have to do this every few years.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9347849

Glad things went well, Mike.

We've had a gray day here all day, but temps in the upper 50s, so that was good. Got a couple short rain showers, also. I got in a nice walk at the bogs across the street from us.

Mike, what kind of iris are you talking about? Is it the tall bearded kind?

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9347889

karen that's the one. I will take a couple pics of the center dying back.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9347916

At sunset now it's 60 i have been playing, doing chores, enjoying nice temps, My groundhog came for visit and is getting bigger(if it is the same one).
Daylilies that I started earlier are growing like the "so called" crabgrass nice weather for them apparently this is. How about with you all?dormant , growing , seeing anything different?
The drizzle and gray day with the warm temps makes the browns stand out and the greens greener. Coneflowers gone to seed are everywhere more weeding springtime!! Blah LOL
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9348432

I would be happy to have some coneflowers but I can't seem to grow them. Have tried them 3 times and they always die.

Gray and foggy this morning. Rained all day yesterday. Hope it clears up and we get some sunshine.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9348511

68 expected today. The record is 71. We could reach that if the sun come out.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 3, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9348877

Sorry to hear about your cousin Mike. I am sure she touched many lives... selfless people always have a huge impact! The world would be so much better if everyone was at least a LITTLE selfless...instead of selfish! :)

Weather is odd here - very very warm... almost scary! Could very well turn into tornado weather if a cold front hits. Very warm and very humid. Today is Kyle's bday and he said he was going to wear shorts for his birthday!! ^_^ My daughter, whose bday is next Monday said - we could have a pool party! :) THEY always wanted a pool party for their bdays but very little way to do that in December (in a small town with no indoor pools!). i believe this year they might could have actually pulled it off!

I managed to work some more in my foundation bed - had hoped to finish, but had to take a big part of the day to drive and get the rest of the metal edging for the entire north half of the house. It is now in place. While I was at the nursery, I picked up 9 more firepower nandinas that I needed - that will be all the plants for now. I had left the front edge of the bed open and had planned to plant several hundred daffodil bulbs around the front edge, but we have gotten notice that my husband will probably lose his job in January - so no more plant buying for me. I only bought those few plants and the edging so that we can complete the bed in the event that we have to try to sell our house. I knew no one would want a work in progress...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9349016

Weather said 68 for a high ,my garden thermometer said 73 , What a really nice day!!! Planted a few, reset a few, made sets for spring.
^__^

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9349315

Genna we hope that doesn't happen with your DH.I looked up that "Firepower N". Cute little shrub. We were 1f off from tying the record of 71 yesterday. Expecting 56 today. Possible 60 on Sunday.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9349347

This is our third day of rain. I am thankful that it isn't snow, lol.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 4, 2012

Post #9349431

CIndy, we could sure use some of that rain here! It is still REALLY dry here!! I understand the west coast is getting too much and might have 5 more inches today... :(

Thanks Mike. We are hopeful, but things are not looking good currently. The Firepower Nandina is just to add some winter color. The ones I planted a month or so ago are ruby red currently. They add a nice pop of color as my daughter would say! ^_^ I don't have many of them in the bed, but I have 9 in the large area on the left end of the foundation bed and so I added 6 on the opposite end of the foundation bed to try to tie it all together. It just happens that because of the way the concrete lays, and the difference between it and how the fence is on the opposite end of the house - the anchor part of the bed on the right end is smaller. For instance, on the left end, that I think I posted photos of after the knockout roses were in place... I used 3 knock outs between some other shrubs. On the opposite end, because of the size difference, I only used 1 knockout. Hopefully, the effect of the color will be the same just in a smaller space. On the far right end of the bed, I am also having to work around my septic tank :( - not where I wanted the tank but where the state said it should go... so I just have to deal with it. We have been in the house 9 years, so I had a guy come and pump out the tank. We haven't had any problems with our plumbing, but I just thought since it had been that long and I was about to plant in that area and landscape that it would be best to have it done ahead of time. I "marked" where the cleanout on the tank is with some pieces off of a stake type thing that had gotten bent. It is green plastic coating over some type of aluminum I think... we tried to cut them long enough so they could be easily located in the mulch. Then I am trying to find something decorative to just sit in the bed in that area so that 9 - 10 yrs down the road, it can just be moved out of the way, the mulch pulled back, and the dirt dug away to expose the cleanout without messing up the bed. I haven't found anything to go there though. Suggestions anyone?? A concrete bench would look very out of place. I have considered a birdbath - but not sure how it would look either. I have also considered one of the large pots laying on its side with some small plants inside. If anyone has any great ideas - please let me know. The area that needs to be kept 'open' so to speak is probably about 2' X 2' ...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9349665

hemlady You wouldn't enjoy these Cutleaf Coneflowers they take over ,have a short bloom cycle most years,the reason is they keep the bees coming more so than some flowers,and they take the drought and hot summers well,as well as murcky wet fall and winter weather ,something I am sure you are familiar with.How ever if you decide you would like any I would always be happy to send you a small box of roots(Rudbeckia lancinata)

gen2026 A little farther south in AR. it sounds like we have been busy haven't we? Nice thing about the fall and winter weather being warmer,if it brings back dividends in summer.

Rainy gray weather here 50's ,like the rain anyway, I missed it dearly this past summer. The new plantings are delighted also , I am concerned about 50 to 70 degree fall and winter weather and what it may become during summertime. Those 108 degree temps and 115 heat indexes this past summer had been too much!!!
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9351022

64 degrees here today and down in the lower 30's tonight. It is supposed to drop this weekend, and maybe...hope hope hope a little bit of rain or snow. We have only had less than 1/2" of rain since September 1, so we are really hurting for water. We should have 8-1/2 to 9" of rain so far for the year and only have a little over 5!

Linda

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9351109

Mid forties today. Good chance of rain later this evening. Hope it come down in buckets.

gen2026
Camden, AR

December 6, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9351206

We got a very brief rain on Tuesday afternoon... not nearly enough but I guess it is better than nothing. It has been overcast here for the past 5 days - but that is all the moisture we have gotten. It probably lasted less than 30 minutes... :(

Mike, what kind of flower is that in the photo?

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9351385

Genna that is a annual poppy.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 6, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9351536

I love that red color!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2012

Post #9352872

Started raining again last night and still raining. At least it isn't snow.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 8, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9353174

Picture perfect day with a high of 71 -- just right for me! No rain though for a couple months :(

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9353213

IT has been in the 40's here for two days and nights,staying in the 40's and raining , and raining ,and raining, typical wet muddy, yucky, mucky, weather!
True that it is not as bad as snow and ice and it does not feel bad either.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9354209

Very light rain the last two days. Low 40's today. Mid 30's tomorrow.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 10, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9354503

Well, it has been in the high 70s here or even low 80s for the past few weeks - getting warmer and warmer... now, winter has decided to pay us a visit! a front came thru yesterday which brought a little rain - a lot in some places I think but not at my house... now it is supposed to be 27 tonight! Night before last it was 60 I think !! Crazy - we keep going from AC to heat - then back to AC ... supposed to have a high of 40 for the next several days and lows in the 20s.

hostages
Wyoming, MN

December 10, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9354543

White,very white. We got about 15" of snow yesterday. On my way out to take care of it now.

Gary

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9354791

Gary, do a little at a time. That much can be dangerous. We are on the cusp of breaking a record for the longest span between measurable snow. 200+ days.

gen2026
Camden, AR

December 10, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9354872

Wow - that is a LOT of snow! Do they ski in your area? If so, I bet the ski slopes were busy!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9354906

The snow came past here sprinkled some flakes and moved on, cold now though 40's now mid 20's tonight .. How about that and winter does not even begin yet for 10 days!!!.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9355028

We got up to 72 today and same for tomorrow till the cold front pushes through and we have a chance for some rain and temperatures will drop into the 50's!! Whoa!!

Yikes, Mike and Gary be careful. :)

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9355323

I should have mentioned that my pic is from the 25" that we got in 2011. We haven't had any snow for 281 days now. We had flurries but, they consider measurable snow above 1/10 of an inch. Expecting rain on Saturday. Mid thirties today.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 11, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9355399

No snow here ... but 24 this morning at 7:30 ! Just a little different than the 70 degrees it was on Sunday morning! :(

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9355495

Very nice here today. Sunshine and no wind for a change.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9355617

sunny ,cold, slight breeze , 20's this morning 30's now

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9355723

I was wrong, forties tonight and thirties tomorrow night. Got me all spoiled and now hit me with cold air! Plus it is raining, so very damp today. I need more coffee!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012

Post #9357024

Upper forties the next three days. Chance of rain on Saturday.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9357679

Nice daylily Mike!!

Been rainy, cold and windy last 2 days.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9357916

Lots of rain here. We are very happy when it rains! High will only be 59 though. Back to upper 60's next week.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9357929

We have had at least 3 days in a row of beautiful blue skies and 40 degree weather. Supposed to be in the 50's by Sunday. I am not complaining but it just doesn't seem like winter. I hope we have a white Christmas.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9361018

YAY...or maybe just yay...we finally had a "little tiny bit" of rain and some snow in the mountains. We might actually get some more Wednesday!

We really need both rain and snow here as the state has been in a severe drought the last 2 years.

Pretty cold too. About 22 in the morning warming to 40-41 in the day time.

Linda

p.s. Sue in Arizona got most of the rain so New Mexico got cheated! LOL

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9361035

Rainy cool day here after yesterdays sunny 58 , two days before that rain , still a little behind average here but it is saturated and wet all the time now.
There has been a many a bad name for N.M .from the Conquistadors to the Old West to today,The last time I was there it was a cool ,sunny , 116 degrees out in the sand desert , Now it has been getting 116 here as this past summer,it followed me home?
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9361074

Me thinks you are to blame juhur!

We haven't had 116 in a very long time, but it sure has been dry enough to burn up half the state!

Linda

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9361081

Maybe I should plan a vacation to N.M. Lots of historical places and a National Park or two . Maybe all this rain would follow me back , Maybe? LOL
I would imagine you are now,,; about like us this past summer ,It did not rain enough to fill a glass for two months , Besides it was H..O..T..!!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9361231

The inevitable will be here on Thursday-------Snow.

gen2026
Camden, AR

December 18, 2012

Post #9361317

Sounds like a White Christmas Mike! ^_^

Been hot then cold, then warmed back up...now cool again! Everyone I know is sick! LOL... it doesn't have a clue whether it wants to be summer or winter here!

Linda, glad to hear you are getting some moisture! We have had a tiny bit of rain over the weekend, but only enough to dampen the ground, not really even measure. We are way below normal on rainfall too. Didn't get our fall rains in the fall of 2011, or spring rains of 2012...or fall rains this fall. It is so dry here! thankfully we have had tiny amounts this fall - but we are still several inches below normal. I bought one of my son's a pair of rainboots for Christmas... he is in medical school and has to park a very long way away from the university. He is sometimes able to catch a shuttle - but sometimes he has to walk. So in the event that it ever rains, I figure that will be the day he has to walk...so I got him some boots for Christmas HOPING that will make it rain some! :) I got a pair myself last year for Christmas and I think I got to wear them a few times last winter...

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9361812

The weatherman and even the weatherwoman said we are supposed to get a snowstorm after midnight tonight. Of course, we will also have winds of 50-65mph.
God how I HATE the wind here.

Anyway, expected temps are 33 tonight rising (?) to 38 tomorrow. Brrrrr

Linda

p.s. We are almost 4 inches below normal here and this last dusting was just that...a dusting with no measurable precipitation.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9362035

We got rain coming tonight and turning to snow tomorrow. They are predicting 1-4 inches for our immediate area. 50mph winds also expected for tomorrow. Should be fun. White christmas? Maybe!
Absolute Zero
Bridgeton Elegance
Heavenly Curls
Ice Carnival
Snowflake Empress

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9362062

Oh gosh, I wonder if we are going to get your snow Mike. Haven't heard no forecasts for it here yet.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9362808

Cindy, I don't know what your forecast is but, I am guessing that from the look of things you might get some rain at least. Wisconsin is bracing for over a foot of snow. Governor already declared a state of emergency there. Raining here right now. I know the daylilies are happy right now. Over one inch of rain expected as the temp drop from mid forties to thirties this evening. Heard from Tom Skilling our weatherman here that a bigger one might be coming next week.
Winter Treasure

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9362815

I don't mind a little snow but not 18". I would love a white Christmas. I don't think we have had one here in about 3 years.

It is raining a bit here now this morning.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9363142

Weather here is like all of yours ,rain now, windy ,only it is 51 with 57 for a high? 1 inch of snow for tonight ,I will believe it when I see it.. 35 to 50 mph winds make that cold though ( a real cool time ) lol
When the temps drop to 20 tonight ,,,i will...

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9363613

We only ended up with a little snow on the grass. Black ice all over.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9363642

Very windy here this morning. There is a dusting of snow and it is currently snowing. Weatherman is not predicting much snow for us, they say maybe 3" at most. That's fine with me, lol.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9363764

Same here , The wind is the worst thing... schools closed, a couple of ice covered roads, generally winter...
hostages
Wyoming, MN

December 21, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9363898

High of 18 today, but will warm up to 26 tomorrow. Don't dare put the shorts away yet!!

LOL
Gary
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

December 21, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9363926

Lets see the name of this thread is what??? How is the weather where you live??? Well in one word---HORRIBLE!!!! sooooo cold , not a lot of snow but wet snow, and the worst of it all is the WIND!!! Old Mr. Wind is giving us quite the run for our money today!!! House is over 100 years old and furnace cannot keep up!! Everyone in extra socks, hoodies, & blankets!!! Windchimes that get left out all year cuz they are up close to the house are getting blown around like crazy !!! Our poor pup(actually not a pup--will be 7 in May) does not even want to go out and she LOVES outdoors(110 lb. chocolate lab)--have to coax her with a treat to go out and believe you me, she doesn't hang out long!!!! Wants right back in to hang out on my sons bed!!!! Even she wants to hibernate right now!!! Hope all is well with everyone!! Shirley

Thumbnail by sbish5

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9364473

How much snow did you get Shirley?? We just ended up with a dusting here south of Detroit, but it sure was windy and cold.

Oh, by the way, I sure would hate driving over the bridge in Saginaw when it is this windy. It would scare me.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2012 7:55 AM
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

December 22, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9364937

Cynthia we did not get much snow--can see the grass poking through!!-- but because it was wet the roads are icy in areas and on my way to work (in frankenmuth) the open field areas were are blown over and there were patches where the snow would actually hit the bottom of the van just cuz it was blown in drifts in small areas. Most of snow gone from roads on way home tonight and wind not nearly as bad as was this morning! I DO NOT like driving in rain,snow, & wind--hubby took me to work and picked me up so I didn't have to drive today!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9365822

I sure don't like driving in snow either, although I must say, I hope we get a lot this winter only because of the drought. We are way behind in the necessary water needed in the ground. My sister has a cottage across the road from Lake Huron and the lake has receded back at least 50 yards because of lack of rain this past summer. She no longer has a beach. I feel sorry for those residents that live on the Lake side and no longer have a beach because the Lake is so down. We need a lot of precipitation to bring Lake levels back to normal.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 24, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9366485

Well we had one 45-50 mph winds Thursday night that really reaked havoc - took my gas grill and slammed it across my porch and then down my back steps...it is pretty bent up and will have to be worked o. To try to get it back to normal :( ... It was in the upper 70s yesterday and today and they r calling for possibly 3" of snow tomorrow!! I think the temp might be in for a sudden change! Merry Christmas everyone ! I hope everyone has a blessed day!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9366577

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9366593

And a big Merry Christmas!!!!!to you also

Were awaiting a good size winter storm this evening and, or tomorrow 5 to 9 inches of snow or so! I will have to leave the family early tonight to be home for the storms, Love the get together but,, would not want to stay snowed in with them..
hostages
Wyoming, MN

December 25, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9366863

Merry Christmas to all. It was 5 last night onmy way to work last night but had warmed up to 12 by the time I headed for home. Sure hope it doesn't get colder. It would seem that the snow is here to stay until Spring.

Gary

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 25, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9366879

Merry Christmas to all.

1" of snow overnight. Sun is out now. 13F degrees and won't go higher today. This is the coldest it has been. Winter was late but now here to stay.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9366975

Merry Christmas everyone. We got a light dusting. Took a pic will post tomorrow. low thirties here today. Nice dinner with family today. Santa said I was good, therefore he brought me gifts. LOL!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9366987

We are getting the storm tomorrow. Supposed to be 4 to 9".

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9367973

Been absent from this thread for awhile. I feel bad for anyone who's having freezing weather and snow now. We've been lucky so far and have been getting pretty mild weather for this time of year. Very little snow, and mostly it's been mixed with rain. Raining now, and supposed to be snow later tonight, but won't be sticking much, if at all, as it's getting to 50 tomorrow with rain. Friday will be back down in the 30's during the day, and pretty much more like normal temps for this time of year in the 10 day forecast. Brrrrr!!!! Not much snow predicted, though.

Mike, I've been enjoying the flowers you've been posting. Here's a pic from warmer days. Waiting for their return.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9368167

Karen nice pic and cute dogs also. I was just throwing in a few white ones to go with the long awaited snow. So far, Little Rock, AK - 9" yesterday. Chicagoland so far, less than 1" for the season. Who could have predicted that!!
Nanuq

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9368201

We ended up getting about 5 to 6 inches out of the storm yesterday.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 27, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9368350

I know Mike, it was crazy huh? What the weather forecaster probably didn't tell you is that it was 78 degrees here on Christmas eve!!! Then snowing on Christmas day! We were about an hour from home when the snow started - I was thinking there was NO way it would stick to the roads since it has been so warm for the most part... but boy was I wrong. We drove thru close to 6" on snow on the way across town from my SIL's headed home... it took almost 30 minutes to make a drive that was probably 10 or less on most days. Then it was a 2.5 hrs drive home in what is usually one or less. They got about 10" of snow in the area where we were, but by the time we made it home our roads within a few miles of our home were clear. We only had about 3" of snow where I live, and thankfully no downed power lines etc. My son lives in Little Rock, and they have 10"+ and no power... have said it might be a week or more before all power is restored. HOPEFULLY his will not be that long because they live near several businesses and i know they focus on getting the businesses restored first. It is the first time in my life I remember it snowing ON Christmas day. I was born in 63 in a snow storm that had dropped over a foot of snow, and it was definitely a white Christmas but it didn't snow on Christmas day. They said they last time it snowed in Little Rock on Christmas day was 1924 I believe...

Will be a Christmas that everyone remembers for sure!

Belated Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year!
Genna

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9368417

We got snow about 8 maybe 9 inches, It has been 30 degrees about since ,14 forecast for tomorrow.

Thumbnail by juhur7

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 27, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9368526

Received 4-5" of snow so far. In some places in my yard it is more. 18F degrees. Still snowing lightly. Going down to 8Fdegrees by midnight. Partly sunny the rest of the week.

My backyard with daylily seedlings snug under the snow.

Thumbnail by blomma

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9369514

Wow! Can't believe all the snow you guys have gotten, especially in AR! Wow!...and WOW!

We are due for some snow tomorrow. They said rain turning to snow in evening on the coast and the cape. Where I am, we might just get up to 6". We are cold, cold, COLD! Got to 37 today, with a cold wind. 33 for a high predicted for tomorrow. Mild temp for the winter have gone out the window. Next 10 day forecast shows 30s for the day and 20s at night. I have my frowny face on. :-(

Karen

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2012
12:13 AM

Post #9369586

Karen, I don't like the cold either. Ha, your 37 degrees is springlike. Try 20 degrees all day and 8 at night. That is only the beginning for Wyoming.

Actually we need moisture badly. I have noticed, the colder the winter, the better my irises will bloom. Maybe the same for DL.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9369613

Karen, fix that face! LOL! We have teens coming next week for a high. We have been over freezing for a high for a long time. It has been many years ago that we have done that according to the weather lady. Some small flakes coming down right now. Driveway is slightly covered.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012

Post #9369614

Continued here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292154/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America