-
AuthorContent
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9194227

Look what we found in a flower bed yesterday. (That's my husband's hand, which is not small and dainty.)

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9194388

That's a Lubber - the first time I saw one of these grasshoppers on steroids was in St. Augustine, Fl. - that sucker was BIG!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9194477

We see those every year! The youngsters are black with a red stripe down the middle…That's when you'll find me out there doing the 'STOMP'!!!! LOL!!! The older they get, the more colorful they become, and the harder to kill! And they eat everything in sight! A heavy spray of water will cause them to jump off your plants, and gives you the opportunity to do the 'stomp'!
If anyone out there has a good remedy….I'm all ears!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9194490

I have them here in Augusta, Ga. I have ordered some Grasshopper bait Nolo Organic bait on the internet, you have to spread them when the grasshoppers are small, in May. I have noticed that I have less of them then last year, but still enough to make you mad. I put a zip loc bag over my hand when I catch them, usualy they eat in the morning and early evening. Sometime I use a sharp scissors and cut them in half, sometime I get lucky and get two at the mating time. The bait is very exspensive, I bought 5 lb for 55 doll. They like the hydrengeas, holly bushess and eat all my Cardinal flower to the ground. The secret is to get them early when they are little, but it is easy to miss them. Etelka

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9194688

i spray all my susceptible plants with Spinosad starting in spring before the lubbers get big. once they reach adulthood, the Spinosad is not as effective. i also catch mine with tongs, no hands...then i step on their heads till their guts shoot out the other end. omg, i can't believe i said that.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9194760

Hi -

We have these evil things in our yard too! One of my favorite flowers is my night blooming jasemine, unfortunately, this is the lubbers favorite plant in my yard as well. They obliterate my jasemine! I have sprayed Neem and it has seemed to help a little bit (I was told that it would change the taste of the plant to bugs), but a Google search came up with nothing. I have even asked around at several nurseries and garden centers and they did not have any other recommendations other than Neem and the lubber stomp. They even shake their back wings to create an eerie sound - and yes, their guts are gross!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9194944

The red markings are the reason that the birds do not like them. They belly is full of acid and the birds know that, won't eat them. You will not find anything in the stores, I orderd Nolo bait on the internet, I hope it will work. Get a sharp scisors , that is cleaner and not as messy then doing the stomping, it is gross.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9194975

I carry an extra shoe & a brick when I walk around the yard. The shoe to knock them down & the brick to squash them!!! No way am I touching those nasty things, not even with a bag over my hand...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9195461

I have a few large grasshoppers here but they are yellow, red and brown. I knock them off of whatever they are on with my hand and then squish with my shoed feet. When they get on a plant in a matter of 2 hours it is striped of all its leaves. I hate them.
Bonnie

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9195464

bonnie, those are the adults. the black one pictured is a youngster!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9195842

Hi --

Here is an interesting article about them - it says that they molt 5 times and one female can lay approx. 150 eggs! That's a lot of lubbers! I don't seem to have as much of a problem this year as I have in the past, but they are still a nuisance.

http://jacksonville.com/lifestyles/home_and_garden/2009-05-16/story/garden_help_get_rid_of_eastern_lubber_grasshoppers_when_
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9195910

I haven't seen even one Lubber this year, but the palmetto bugs are another story! They are ugly and there are a LOT of them this year - YUCK!!!
Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9195919

I’m an amaryllis grower and have been tracking and killing Lubbers for years.

They were 3 weeks early this year and that is probably because of our mild winter.
In my neck of the woods, the hatchings started on March 10. This year my control is ¼ cup biodegradable dish soap mixed with 2 gallons in water in a pressure sprayer. When I find a clutch, I spray a circle around the outside and work my way in. I soak them as best I can. There were 14 hatchings – that I know of – by the last hatching on March 30.

I treat “stray” nymphs the same way only I have the soap solution in a 1 quart spray bottle. Again they get a good soaking. The last stray nymph was May 12.

And now we’re up to the adults. They were also 2 – 3 weeks earlier than usual. I too am loath to touch them. I keep a supply of small / medium margarine tubs and lids handy. If you come at them from opposite directions – lid on one side and tub on the other – they don’t know which way to go. They are generally easy to catch. That’s step 1. Step 2 is a large plastic ice cream or bulk yogurt container with the soap and water solution. Shake the soap solution so there are lots of bubbles and remove the lid. Shake the small container with the trapped Lubber to disorient it. Have the 2 containers close together, pop the lid off the small container, quickly dump the Lubber into the soap solution, cover and shake. The lubber will kill quickly.

After about 10 minutes, I throw the contents on the large container toward my back property line which is rural.

I like the soap and water solution because I don’t have to buy anything special and there are no harmful chemicals. It seems to be working. I wiped out more clutches than usual and now have fewer adults. Normally I’d have killed 25 – 35 adult Lubbers by now. So far I’ve captured and killed only 13 adults and my amaryllis have less damage than usual.

I apologize for running on so long...

Candace
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9195958

Hi Candace -

Thank you for this tip - I will definately try it. I hate using chemicals in our yard because we have 3 dogs and I'm always afraid it will affect them. We have two empty fields behind us, so I'm sure that's where they are coming from.
Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9196158

Glad to be of help.

The Lubbers love my amaryllis about as much as your Jasmine. They can kill seedlings and young bulbs. I can’t sell a Lubber damaged bulb...

I actually mark my calendar so I know when to start my “Lubber Patrols”. I pick a Monday about 3 – 4 weeks earlier than the earliest hatching date and that really helped this year. My start date for next year will be Feb 11. If we have a normal winter, I won’t get serious until early March. A hard winter may delay the hatchings until early April.

Hatchings seem to occur early morning 7 am – 8:30 am and late afternoon after 3:30 pm or 4 pm. Hatchings end after about 30 days.

I know they are supposed to taste bad to everything but I never have to clean up the massacre site. A year ago I had 7 adults in 1 day. When I tossed them “outback” several caught on the wire fence of the ranch behind me. My husband and I joke that the raccoons were delighted. A pre-washed snack! Every carcass was gone by morning.

You are correct they come from the fields. They like brushy, overgrown areas. Most of my backyard is original Florida natives and I really like that but I try to keep everything else as neat and tidy as possible. Lubbers avoid open, well groomed areas. The hardest part is my other neighbors’ side fences. Leaves and weeds collect constantly against these fences. Several hatchings have occurred along the fences.

Lubbers also dislike water. Sometimes I find them climbing to the top of the tallest foliage when I’m watering. I’ve never found one immediately after rain. They like it dry.

Diligence seems to be paying off. The past 2 years I spotted only 4 hatchings each year and then I was constantly finding stray nymphs. This year I spotted 14 hatchings! Then I had about the usual number of stray nymphs but currently I’ve had far fewer adults.

Good luck and good hunting.

Candace
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9196182

I never saw any till this year and this was the 1st time no one had been mowing the empty lot across from us. Now that it has been mowed down, hopefully they will now go find another home. Luckily I've never seen more than a couple any day. Have never seen a small one - just the HUGE, ugly ones.
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9196256

Tracksinsand, I really don't think this was a youngster although the coloring is similar to the juvenile lubbers. (If this was the baby, I'm scared to see the grown version!) It was larger than the usual adult brown lubbers we see around here - about 3.5 inches from head to tail. Must be a different variety.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2012 8:23 AM

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9196316

hmmmm, maybe so. i'll have to do some research. our adults are around 3 1/2 to 4" so yes, i would say yours is a different species.

here's some good info. i didn't realize they had a light and dark phase also. http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/lubber.htm

This message was edited Jul 7, 2012 10:13 AM
Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9196440

Here are two more sources of information with photos!

Both are by the University of Florida

http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/EasternLubberGrasshopper.pdf

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in132

Candace

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9196573

gotta love the U of F sites.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9196630

For whoever mentioned the Palmetto's here is what I learned.
Keep the mulch raked away from the foundation of your house. They thrive in the piles and then get into the house easier.
;)
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9196784

Aha! So that explains it! Thanks for the links; I didn't know that either.

Norma

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9196786

always learning something here!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9197091

sugarweed wrote:For whoever mentioned the Palmetto's here is what I learned.
Keep the mulch raked away from the foundation of your house. They thrive in the piles and then get into the house easier.
;)

That goes for termites as well!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9197125

I mentioned them and I have no mulch around my house.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9197896

Hummm, They have some place to Party!
;)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9197974

Ya, Sidney - they live in the palm trees!
Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9200242

I’ve just notice that my Peruvian daffodils that are surrounded by Gaillardia are lush and green and have NO Lubber damage.

Other Peruvians nearby that are out in the open are badly damaged.

Has anyone else noticed that Gaillardia seems to repel Lubbers?

Candace
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9200506

Candace, I can't keep any alive long enough to tell. ; p

Norma
Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9201459

Norma,

I can understand killing the Lubbers as soon as you find them. Are you saying you have trouble growing Peruvians or Gaillardia? Or are you just pulling my leg?

Candace

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9201640

"For whoever mentioned the Palmetto's here is what I learned.
;) "

I keep trying to tell the owner of our rental house this, and he doesn't believe me, those darn things are almost, I said almost enough to make me want to move back north. I hate them with such a passion it isn't even funny.

My uncle when he garden in east TX had grasshoppers like those, he didn't use chemicals and what he did was purchased a special blender and as he would catch them he would put them in the blender with water and a tad of liquid soap, he would blend them to death and then strain off, use the liquid to then spray on his plants it really helped to keep them from eating everything down to nothing in his garden. He would grab them with his hands and twist their head off their bodies... First time I staw that I about passed out. As a kid going to grandmother in AL they had them where they would sit in magnolia trees and spit brownjuice on ya, that's why I hate magnolia trees to this day. LOL.

Jan
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9201739

Jan -

I could see how that would work, but don't think I could stomach throwing them in the blender and then straining them. I can handle snakes and lizards, but count me out when it is a bug!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9201766

FLbunnie, here I'll trade you my snakes (I like the lizards) for your grasshoppers... hows that.

Jan
edited to add you are just a little south of us, so that isn't too bad to drive for the trades, although I'm not catching and bringing snakes that part of the deal you would have to drive north for...

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 2:08 PM
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9202061

LOL! I think I have enough snakes, I would not ask for more. They probably wouldn't last long around my yard anyway. I have 3 jack russells and they don't take kindly to some intruders (they have already taken down snakes and 2 oppossum). Bradenton isn't too far, maybe an hour?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9202112

oh my gosh come on up and bring those little ones, I'm too afraid for my collies... can ya tell I'm a sissy...LOL the two I have now, their mother was a mean machine on snakes, but she would get bit in the paw a lot and limp for several days afterwards. When I see the snakes I call them inside quick so they don't get in the way when we are removing them. Snakes and those stinking palmetto bugs, oh Lord why in the world did ya make them? That is one of my questions when I get to heaven.

Jan
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9202129

LOL, Jan!
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9202609

Candace, it's the gaillardia that refuses to grow for me. I've tried a few different varieties and considering that they're supposed to like dry, hot conditions you'd think they would thrive on my property.
Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9202663

That is so surprising!

A couple of years ago, there were a few gaillardia a couple of houses south in our neighborhood. They migrated north and we have been letting them take over our front yard. My husband mows only about half the front now.

Our yard is high, dry scrub in the front. There are no tall trees for shade. We don’t water it. We’re letting the gaillardia take over because the grass is mostly dead and the gaillardia stays green.

We mow it in the fall after the plants die back and that spreads the seeds for next year.

We’ve had a few all yellow flowers show up. The peruvians are in the middle - not blooming and doing well.

Candace

Thumbnail by Wyckoff   Thumbnail by Wyckoff   Thumbnail by Wyckoff
Click an image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9202750

now that is a proper lawn for FL, LOL

Jan
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 12, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9203385

Jan - I've asked the same thing about palmetto bugs - if someone finds out what these are useful for please let me know. Ugh, they are soooo gross.

Wyckoff - I love your sea of blooms, that is such a neat idea to let those take over versus a lawn. I would plant my front yard in a heartbeat, but the lawn in front is my husbands obsession. We've had an electric green lawn everywhere we've lived - LOL. We do have a compromise though, I'm slowly tearing up all the way around my back fence, it's quite the project.
Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9203674

Dear FloridaBunnie,

My husband too would love a neat sea of green grass for a front lawn. He’s from North Carolina and grass is easier there.

I’m an on-again-off-again member of the Florida Native Plant Society. We have native grasses in Florida but they are mostly (all?) bunch / clump grass that will not work for a lawn.

My yard is against grass too. It is high, dry, sandy and well drained. It’s great in a hurricane.

I have Yucca filamentosa growing naturally in both the front and back yards. The front yard is easily classified as “scrub habitat” while the back has longleaf and sand pine and turkey oaks.

When the house was built, an irrigation system was installed. Then the homeowners’ got their first water bill. Shortly thereafter a shallow well was added to the property. It’s just outside the Master Bedroom windows and is the noisiest pump I’ve ever heard.

Except I’ve not heard it in a very long time. I’ve turned it off. Here’s the problem. When we need water, the well is dry. In fact the only time the well has water is after heavy, prolonged, days and days of rain. Like immediately after a hurricane! Think about it. IT’S A SHALLOW WELL! Duh!

So I was grateful when the gaillardia came along. We already had blue toadflax in the spring and some blue spiderwort showed up here and there. I even have a couple of white spiderworts.

But I really appreciate the gaillardia. And the nice comments. Thank you.

Candace

Thumbnail by Wyckoff   Thumbnail by Wyckoff

Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9203708

Sorry. Wrong photo...

Candace

Thumbnail by Wyckoff

Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9203871

Very nice! When we moved to our current home 3 years ago, I convinced my husband not to mow a large area on the east side of the property to allow the phlox, and whatever else was there, to bloom every spring. It puts on a wonderful show and has multiplied over the years. However, I have sown wildflower seeds, and planted various other things that I wanted to naturalize, but they haven't done squat. Well, except for a handful of rudbeckias that showed up a few weeks ago from one of the seed batches.

(First photo was spring 2012, second was from 2011)

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 12:01 PM

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal   Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal

Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9203904

I love the phlox but it does tend to dominate given half a chance. It's quit pretty though...

Candace
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9206681

Sorry, the next post is edited!

This message was edited Jul 16, 2012 12:21 AM

Thumbnail by cyberageous   Thumbnail by cyberageous

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9206683

The lubbers aren't as bad this year, even tho we are carved out of the Everglades where they flourish. I have heavily landscaped and hate every grasshopper-chewed leaf that I find. We use a garden variety of garlic granules to keep them down and each year, we have less and less lubbers. Around the perimeter of the houses and inside, we use boric acid (20 mule team is cheapest) and within 24 hours you have a graveyard of palmettos.

They say the lubbers taste bitter and have no known enemy but I saw a swamp rat carry one off one morning. They walk on water too! I spray with sevin. I used to spray 3 times a day but now have a tiny dog and am afraid to. I haven't figured out a plan for next year's infestation.
When I first moved here about 9 yrs ago, I wrapped a tree with wide cellophane tape inside out and the lubbers wouldn't cross it. The only thing they don't eat is my pepper plants but now something else likes them. It's always something!

I am trying to propagate a lot of plants now, hoping to move soon. Anyone have extra pots? Someone far North was nice enough to offer but I can't afford the gas to get them. I just hate to lose my cuttings but somethings HAD to be cut back and I am not one to waste a single cutting.
I'll even share my cuttings if someone not far has some pots to share.

Thumbnail by cyberageous   Thumbnail by cyberageous   Thumbnail by cyberageous   Thumbnail by cyberageous   Thumbnail by cyberageous

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9206685

A lubber on my fence (adult stage)

Thumbnail by cyberageous

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9206838

I can't believe all this grasshopper hatred! When I was a kid in Augusta, GA, we loved to catch and play with lubbers (we didn't know they had a name back then). We would collect a jar full some days and other days we would tie thread (from Mom's sewing basket) to their legs an "take them for a walk" - GREAT FUN!

BTW, I am 75 now and kill those horrible grasshoppers any way I can. Usually Sevin.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9206888

"Around the perimeter of the houses and inside, we use boric acid (20 mule team is cheapest) and within 24 hours you have a graveyard of palmettos."

This is an excellent tip, but I have collies who think they are hound dogs and sniff every since square inch, so can't do the boric acid, but at least I can put it down in the garage as the dogs aren't in there.

I wish I had my pots from up north to give ya. When we moved south I cried to have to leave so much of my garden stuff behind. I had six large dog food bags of pots that I used and cleaned at the end of the season each year and those would have been perfect for your cuttings.

I'll keep an eye out for any free ones here in my area and if I find any I'll let ya know, maybe we could meet halfway for me to bring them to ya.

Beautiful gardens... what area are you moving to?

Jan
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9206890

Here in Augusta Ga. I use a very sharp scisors, sometime I get lucky and I get two for one when they are mating. I feel bad, but I feel even worst when I see my Hydrengeas chewed up in the morning. Etelka

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9206895

Etelka

yes will defend our plants won't we from those bugs...LOL

Jan
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9207045

I use my sharp clippers and chop them in half. One lubber can strip and entire bush by morning. Even tried to use one for bass fishing and the fish wouldn't even hit on it! Good bye lubbers!
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 18, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9210202

I have VERY large dogs but also have a 3lb yorkie and 9 cats. No problem with the boric acid. Many years ago, I worked in a group home for medically dependent children. Basically, a parent beat the child senseless and forever. Then completely brain damaged and helpless- we got them. Some were OK enough to waller around on the floor (which we loved to see) rather than being strapped in a chair all day. Most of the girls that worked there came from the area which was a very poor ghetto and they brought roaches- german and palmetto, to work with them in their bags. Our work vehicles were loaded too. A holistic exterminator that I knew volunteered his time and equipm't to help us out because his "way" wouldn't hurt the kids that licked the floors. Crazy story but true. It was boric acid in many ways! Paste, watered down, powdered outside- whatever worked. OH and years ago, I had a professional dog kennel and read in a trade magazine about using boric acid to kill flea/tick/worm larvae in your kennels and grassy areas. It worked wonderfully. I started withe the boric acid from a hardware store and then found 20 mule team which worked as good and a tenth of the price.

A good tip would be to Google 20 mule team borax (maybe even write them?) to see not only the extended uses but the danger element of it for pets. I only know from my experience, I am not a guru.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9210694

cyberageous, thanks for sharing your history with the BA use. I have 20 mule team as I use it in my white laundry loads.

I'm going next week to pick up some DE and will be giving that a try as well.

Jan
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 18, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9210781

Cyber -

We have a friend that owns his own pest control business and he swears by boric acid as well. He said it is much safer for pets than some of the other chemicals they spray. We had white footed ants when we moved into our house and they are very hard to get rid of. We put down boric acid and have not had problems with them since. I will have to try this for the lubbers. We also hesistate using anything because we have 3 adopted Jack Russells - very energetic and into everything (you can almost hear the wheels turn in their heads when they look at something - LOL).

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9210862

FLBunnie that is the way of Jackrussels, considering that was what they were bred for, to seek and find. LOL

Jan

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9210999

You should have to deal with a Belgian Turvuren. They are the geniuses of the dog world. I have to keep on my toes to keep a head of my Demon Child, he is always coming up with new mischief. We have 3 pet gates , a locking trashcan that he can get into quicker than my DM and I have to tie the outside trash can to my shade house to keep him out of it. I must be crazy as Andre is my 3rd one

I did find one Lubber in my yard. But no signs of damage. Took me 2 days to catch it. Had to go outside with the spot light. Flipped him off my African Basil and used a brick on it. Next day it was gone so something eat it. It never ate any of the Basil
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9211515

I just had to adopt out a Blue Heeler for her antics. She CHASED THE CATS AROUND ON THE ROOF. We have no idea how she got up there but she would jump from one roof to the next. I found her a great farm home with a 3 generation family to keep her busy. I was terrified of her getting hurt. We miss her but know we did the right thing. My new dog is so small, we had to build her steps to get in bed!
BTW, I am afraid to spray pesticides now because of the pup but I still use BA.

Thumbnail by cyberageous   Thumbnail by cyberageous   Thumbnail by cyberageous

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9211853

Wren - the Belgian Turvuren breed is beautiful! Very majestic looking, but I can imagine him running through the mud and rolling around in the dirt. Of course, immediately after a bath! LOL

Cyber - what a cutie! I can imagine it was hard to find a home for your previous dog. We had adopted a lab once and she was a houdini, getting out of the house and the yard constantly. We had to do the same thing; we found a family with two children that lived on a farm that were so excited to take her home.

Here are my furry children. My two boys are deaf, but so loving. My girl in the first picture is half their size and ALL boss :)

Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9211879

floridabunnie I take Andre to a groomer. It is bad enough when he gets out of his pool and lays in the dirt-for that matter it is bad when he lays in dirt when it is dry. Some days he brings in enough dirt to plant a garden. I love the breed but Andre is a trip. He is partly un-Terv like. He is not reserved with stranger. Went out one day and found him playing ball with the UPS driver. I have had to tell the sub-drivers of the UPS and the mail that it is save for them to come in the yard but not safe for the boxes to be left in the yard by them selves.

Thumbnail by wren107   Thumbnail by wren107

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9211886

Wren - He looks like a big mush! When we take our Dexter for a walk, he barks and jumps around so much with excitement that the neighbors come out of their house! A box would surely meet the same fate at my house. When we buy new toys, our girl Paisley usually has it gutted within an hour. But. . . what would we do without them?!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9211971

I would be in a wheelchair if it was not for my fur kids.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9212024

Wren he is beautiful, it just killed me to have to shave my fur babies, but even though they are rather strange looking, they are so much happier, and I am for that matter, as there isn't near the hair inside the house now that they live inside. The sad true is they really aren't happy with our new life style. Nothing for my Saul boy to do. I do take them for walks, but today, just couldn't do it. It was so I don't know, it was the combo of heat and humidity but my asthma was acting up so no walks for them.

I love everyones four legged companions, where would we all be without them>>>>LOL

Jan

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9212140

Jan I use a bike with Andre plus I have this toy called a "eGGee" that he is crazy about. He chases it all over the yard and it is hard plastic so he can not destroy it. (go to Amazon.com and enter "Jolly Dog toy") your dogs might like it.

Thumbnail by wren107

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9212234

Thanks, I will check out the eGGee.

Jan
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9212248

Getting Mandy, my new "foo foo dog" is the dumbest thing I have done. She is a hefty 3 lbs! That is her above.
I just get so lonely being secluded out here.
She loves to be wet and LOVES the dirt. I got her because of the clownish personality and beautiful coats Yorkies are known for but boy is she a stinker to keep even somewhat clean. I noticed at the pet supply store, they now carry "micro-mini breed" toys and food. Things are sure getting modern.Did I tell you she has 6 dresses and a camo jacket? ❤❤❤❤
Elvis813
Ruskin, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9213145

I love to KILL these BIG BASTARDS ! I look for them in spring - they like to clump together up off the ground when they are less than an inch - insect spray will knock them out then stomp them into oblivion !!! I wear gloves to capture the big ones - years ago when I was a rookie I used to throw them into the canal behind my house - They can swim !!! SOOOOOOOO I now take them outside my yard onto the road and stomp the HELL out of them , because their shell like - dried bodys can linger around for years . They make the most satisfying crunch sound !!! LOL - I hate them !!! - Lisa ;)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9213350

Lisa, I am so with ya on helping certain insects meet the maker... Why can't folks that want to cause harm take their anger out on the bad insects, instead of people... (sorry just so sad over what has happened in CO).

Nothing like hearing the crunch beneath ones garden shoe...LOL

Jan
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9213483

So, Lisa - tell us how you REALLY feel. LOL
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9213485

Lisa - You could not have said it better! It so grosses me out when you cut them in half and they continue to live independently of each other! EEWWWW! I am always afriaid that my dogs will catch one and eat it. Maybe they should make it a sport, or as Jan suggested, use it for stress relief and therapy. . .
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9214100

I killed a pr in the act of mating yesterday. Thought of the thousands I was preventing and it felt wonderful. Luckily I just have a few of them but 1 is still too many.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9214114

I found 2 so far this year both are dead

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9214164

Oh Lisa, I come and re-read you death sentence on this crappy insects, and I laugh so hard. When I lived up north it was my joy to kill as many of those Jap Beetles as I could, I wore gloves and each time I try to best my score which gave me the satisfaction of knowing that that many less would reproduce!

Jan
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 22, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9214261

If your dog eats a lubber grasshopper, they are so bitter that the dogs will drool and foam up. My tiny dog vomited when she licked a squished one.
Today, I put those grasshoppers in the brush chipper!
Now as the lubbers are diminishing, I see snails! It never ends.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9214669

I just found this thread on the lubbers...very interesting. I've never seen any in my garden, however I do see them when out hiking or camping. Candace the information you gave on pest control is very helpful...thanks for such detail. And by the way I have been letting gaillardia take over my easement out front...it sure seems to love it out there. I found some growing wild nearby and seed snatched a few years ago.

Palmetto bugs have been very bad here this year. Seems like every time we get heavy rain they find their way into the house. My 25 year old son is scared to death of them and totally will freak out if he sees one...the cats on the other hand love to play with them until they finally kill them. I have natural mulching in my flower beds, guess I need to go out and rake it away from the house some, of course as soon as it rains it all washes back to the house again.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9215114

no lubbers but a very large black snake made it presence know at the front door, by the time I got back with a tool in hand it was gone to who knows where. Now it that thing shows up in the house, this rental house just might be history. I know I know that they are good snakes, but I'm sorry I'm not willing to be sharing with them like they think I should. Then after our afternoon thunderstorm, the big snails with the shells on their backs are making their way acrossed the front porch..., so those I had the pleasure of picking them up and throwing them out to the main road to be runned over...LOL

Jan

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9215290

Awww...Jan...love my black snake, so cute and never a bother...has a couple offspring now. One time I had several babies laying on the front porch sunning. ☺
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9215698

Put mothball crystals around your front door area. It usually keeps the snakes away. It's an old time cure too for flea infestation- if you can hook your vacuum up to blow- tie a net full (toole) of moth crystals to it and "fog" the room. I knew a lady that kept then under her couch cushions- why, I don't know but it didn't kill anyone. I once had a Kirby vacuum and that was a sales point- using it to blow. Don't know what it was really meant for.
We get alot of pigmy rattlers here. I am deathly afraid of snakes!! Same with moccassins. They'll chase you!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9216454

I don't mind the black snakes, but the pygmy rattlers scare me a little. We had one in the side flower bed and the pest control man noticed it while he was spraying. I was scared to death for days to let the dogs out.
DesertRose_50
Peel, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9439835

KayJones wrote:I mentioned them and I have no mulch around my house.

They also live in just plain dirt.
I used to dig around in yard planting things and would see some as I was digging.
I hated them too!
DesertRose_50
Peel, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9439838

Amaryllisgal wrote:Look what we found in a flower bed yesterday. (That's my husband's hand, which is not small and dainty.)

They are also called "Thumpers"...I can't imagine why! :0/ YUCK, I hated them.
I told my hubby if he put that thing on me, I would divorce him, LOL.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
9:04 PM

Post #9441442

Nearly got an eye put out when it was hit dead on by one of these nasty b...
That was 18 years ago.
Sidney
Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9445679

The Lubber Season has started in Volusia County.

Killed 5 nymphs this morning...

Candace
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9445743

I loathe those darn grasshoppers. They are just so destructive, but way to big to squish with your foot. Well, I guess you could, but who want all that goo all over your foot. They are like cuban tree frogs, youve got to get rid of them, but no really easy way.
Wyckoff
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9445780

Soap and Water!

Mix a small amount of biodegradable dish soap with water in a sprayer.

Spray them as soon as they hatch. It coats their breathing apparatus. I leave them where they fall and the bodies are usually gone in a few minutes. I'm guessing ants...

“Patrol” daily in the early morning and late afternoon.

This has drastically reduced the number of adult Lubbers in my garden.

Candace

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9446122

Yes. They are hatching out again here too. I had a great thought (at least I thought it was then!),...that the Chickens would devour them if I scooped them up and threw them in the coop. No dice! They had no interest and must taste nasty I figured!...Soooo,...now I spray them with them with Spinosad A and B sold by 'Fertilome' as Borer, Leafminer and Bagworm or Tent Caterpillar killer, (something along those lines and am too lazy to go get and read the 16 0z. bottle,...Ha!)
...and it works geniously. I highly recommend this product. It is the only insecticide I have found that will eradicate leafminer on Tomatos and other veggies also that is safe for consumption. It is one of those new bacterial type things that effects the digestive system of the bugs without enormous toxicity. I have been using it for years now and it is my favorite. It can also be used as a mix in the watering can. Water the plants with it and it will be sucked up and kill Borers on plums, Chikasaw Plums (a favorite Florida native and love those trees!), Peaches and the like... It is a good thing to research further for those interested...

David

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 4:42 PM

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9461505

We loved them when I was a kid in Augusta , GA. That was about 1945. They were fun to catch, collect and watch. Sometimes there were many many of them.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9461575

The lubber grasshoppers have started hatching again this year and of all the bugs we get in Floridian yards, I hate these the most. Luckily I have a 10 years old boy who likes to catch and kill them!

I found this bit on info on a site about the insecticides that will kill them:

Among the insecticides that will kill lubber grasshoppers are carbaryl, bifenthrin, cyhalothrin, permethrin, and esfenvalerate (note: these are the technical names, which appear in the 'ingredients' section on the label). You likely will have to apply the insecticide directly to the insects; the small amount of insecticide residue remaining on sprayed plants may not be adequate to kill the grasshoppers.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9463274

Scissors and a calm manner.
;)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9463336

I use my clippers and sneak up on them! It's quite the sight to see me sneaking up behind a lubber, then snipping him in half with lightening speed, lol ! I've found nothing else that will touch them, no matter what I spray directly on them, I've even tried to drown them with pesticides...but nada...so the ninja approach will remain.
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9463856

MerryMary - LOL at the "ninja approach"! That's what I do as well.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9463942

It's nice if you can catch them when they are still nymphs and can get squished easy. My 10 year old likes to kill them and I am quite happy to have him and his friends play with them and kill them.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9464308

Found a small bath of the nymphs yesterday in a tubby that was upside down. Remember the mashed potatoe dance well now there mashed potatoes. Good thing no cars were going by. I'd hate to be committed just for killing bugs. LOL
Bonnie
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9465571

The Lubber nymphs showing up en mass in my yard this week. Going after the Cannas, Crinum, and Brugmansias . Let the war begin!
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9502966

New one! They hate garlic. I put my italian pasta inventions that didn't work in my compost
pile and the grasshoppers left!
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9503305

Three has been quite a Harlequin bug presence in my garden this spring. Have destroyed a considerable amount of Coles. Especially Mustard greens and Chinese cabbage. Any hints besides squishing them all? I don't want to spray poison at all.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9505573

Found these buggers eating my tomato plants. Anyone know what they are?

Thumbnail by shauna1219

Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9541374

As much as I don't like things creatures I just can't bring myself to kill anything, especially something so beautiful. Yes, I know how that must sound...crazy, I know! But I just pick them up off my plants and move them out of my garden. As I said, I hate killing anything. I was telling my husband about some of the comments here and how everyone cuts them in half or stomps on their heads...my husband agrees, but I just can't.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9541406

Moving them out of your garden will not solve the problem! It simply puts it in someone elses court! Get over it! They have no redeeming value! Birds won't even eat them! Do your neighbors a favor! Send your husband out if you can't do it! :-)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9541467

The first time you wake up to see a plant that took you 4 years to grow, eaten down to the soil line, you'll be just fine with eliminating them!
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9543213

"Get over it"... Kinda mean to say...
Everyone has their quirks and this is mine. It's who I am, I can't just simply "get over it". Sorry...
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9543240

Sorry Nefitara…Meant no offense…Sometimes the printed word sounds different then the spoken.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2013 12:21 PM
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9547316

I hate them (lubbers) I do the stomp treatment too . They do eat everything the trick is stomp treatment when they hach out in spring !
Adult's get beheaded !

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9547486

I have started finding the full grown yellow ones over the last week...but I have not seen as many as I have normally seen years before.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9547488

I've been killing these (stomp method, unless I have my pruners in hand) for months now. Found 2 on my Alligator plant yesterday. Of course I did not have my gloves on & got impaled by the spines of the plant trying to get them off. I WON!!! They DIED!!!!! Hoping I'll eventually win this war. Wish my neighbors had more plants so they would go elsewhere to eat!!!!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9552189

Norma, I have seen the occasional "lubber" like the one Charlie holds. Also have seen one like Cyber's pic. And of course the browns. But they don't seem to do any real damage here. I have a hard time keeping up with the weeds, I do not have the time to take my scissors to those hoppers. Just as long as they stay out of my shirt.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9552200

Norma, I forgot...as to the gaillardia, start with the native blanket flower. Throw in some "Fanfare". Deadhead them early to keep them blooming, but as the season wears on, let them go to seed first before cutting them. Then throw the seeds down in the bed. They will eventually realize they like your gardens. And they will come back every year...not like the ones in the picture above. I am envious of those.

Molly
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9552286

I havent had any this year. What I do have my eyes peeled for are the hornworms. They get me every year, right when you think the tomatoes are doing so good.

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9567642

I have been getting the lubbers in waves. Today wasn't too bad but they are still in all phases of growth.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9567671

What I havent had this year...knock on wood, are the hormworms. They do me in almost every year.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9568284

A few weeks ago I was finding lubers everywhere. I ended their lives. I've not seen any, or even evidence of them, in a couple weeks. I'm hoping they have moved to a friendlier yard!!!!

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9570886

As a new owner of a FL house, in Port St. Lucie, It would really help me to know what treatments you use to [successfully] get rid of the various pests. I use Sevin mostly in NC.

Thanks,
Paul
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9570933

Problem with Sevin is it will also kill the "good" bugs.

I use DE whenever possible & there are some herbal oils now being marketed that seem to be working.

Luckily, we don't have roaches. A good fire ant killer is always good to have on hand.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9571336

Have killed 3 HUGE lubbers inthe past 2 days - YUK!!!!
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9573275

Tlm1, no worries! I just have a really big problem with killing things (my problem) and well my plants are all half eaten and I could just cry, but I did it to myself since I just cannot kill things. Many times I wish I could be like you all and off those little critters. :(
KhatWoman
Jacksonville, FL

June 27, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9575406

I hate these things! I have nothing but plants that are in the amaryllis family which they love very much. They ate the leaves and bulbs and now nothing is growing. I've only had two blooms and then they came back and ate those.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9575465

Hi KhatWoman, and Welcome!
Yeah, those lubbers sure are voracious, and a pain! Got to get up and after 'em early, and hopefully when they are just babies. hehe. Much easier to kill at that size! Birds don't even like them! Sorry to hear about them decimating your Amaryllis.

Welcome aboard, nice to meet you, and Happy gardening! :-)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9577123

Always nice to see another local gardener.

Tara - how in the world do you kill the babies??? They are so small & fast I couldn't catch any of them.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9577182

hehehehe! I do the stomp! They are very fast, but when they're babies they tend to mass together. I don't always get them all, but a good amount at a time. You can't miss them…Juveniles are black with a red stripe, and usually tend to congregate on lower level plants. You can also flush them out into the open with the water hose. They don't like to be sprayed. And do the stomp! Just make sure you're not barefoot! hehehe! yuck!

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9577598

I do a stomp n twist! Sometimes just stomping on those nasty things is not enough. This past weekend, I cut one in half with my clippers and it still kept going!

I haven't found as many in my yard his year as I have in years past. Has anyone else noticed a decline or increase in the number of lubbers you have found?

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9581206

Thanks Quilter - I am very cautious about Sevin because it kills bees - When the crape myrtles start blooming, I have to let the Jap. beetles eat some, and just spray the non flowering plants (i.e., Jap. maple or the crape myrtles which haven't bloomed yet.)

Someone gave me advice to spray Sevin in late afternoon when the bees had gone home BUT Sevin has a couple of days persistence so that plan would result in killing many bees the next day - so I don't do that.

Quilter what is DE?

Thanks,
Paul
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9581515

O dear, I never knew that about sevin and the bees. No more sevin here.

DE is Diatomaceous Earth. Great stuff. You can even kills fleas.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9583041

You can even get "food grade" DE and use that in the house & on pets. Will keep bugs out of your flour. The DE at the garden centers has some non-toxic elements mixed in.

Today its tiny bitting critters that are driving me crazy. Guessing gnats. Way too small to be skeeters.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9583475

You can get large amounts on ebay for much cheaper than in the store. Stick with the food grade.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9583924

Diatomaceous Earth also can be added to your Cat food to get rid of Roundworms,... which they charge a fortune for one pill at the vets for...

I think I'll have some to then on occasion!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9584499

Add a Tbsp to a 5 lb bag of flour to keep the bugs out.
Can rub it on pets to kill fleas.

All sorts of good uses for the food grade DE.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9588926

Paul, welcome to the neighborhood.
I am over here at Lake Okeechobee and my closest Sam's Club is in Port St Lucy.
I have quiet a few plants and I don't believe Japanese Beetles are pest over here. We have no Crepe Myrtles here, but I do in Jacksonville. I don't remember seeing them there either.
If I do I will know shortly as anytime I brag I have to eat my words soon after.
Fall in love with Hibiscus. They just go and go.
Almost any plant that blooms will bloom over and over if you dead head.
Hibiscus drop off every day and pump out new blooms everyday.
I still pinch off what is left.
My all time favorite here is Sweet Almond. It's fragrant and takes pinching as an order!
Sidney

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9590282

Sidney,
thank you for your nice welcome!
I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and used to snitch cuttings from the prettiest hibiscus plants on the way home from school. I had good luck rooting them and my mom liked them a lot. This was in 1951-55.

I planted one of the hybrid hibiscus (from Home Depot) last Feb and it's doing well so far. I am heading back to Port ST Lucie on Tuesday to resume my Floridian life.

I'm glad to hear the Japanese beetles don't pose a problem -you would remember them if they were there. They turn pretty leaves into lace. I may have a yard full of lubbers when I arrive but I have a can of insect spray already so I can probably handle them.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2013 2:30 PM

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9590308

Sidney,
I had to jump back here from flyboy's duck egg thread after I saw your corrected DavidofDeland's spelling of your name. When I saw that, I was afraid, I had also mis-spelled it, but I didn't.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9591769

Boy oh boy, just from being gone a week, my gardens are a wreck! Mostly looks like the grasshoppers did it. I have stayed on top of them diligently until cancer got first dibs on my time. I checked and all my tomatoes are wasted. I hope to walk out today to where the squash and beans are today but after this bilateral mastectomy, I am in slow motion. I really need to trim back a lot of stuff if there are any locals that want to do it, they can keep the cuttings.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9591893

Take the time to heal! You'll enjoy next year's tomatoes much better if you are strong! :)
One season's beans going down the tubes are worth the trade off !
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9598230

Look after all my stomping they still survive ! Found this one this morn on my family room window it's about ten foot high outside where it is . My plan is to use the garden hose to knock it down (no ladder needed ) then cutt it's head off ! Doing my part as best I can .
Quilter stop sending these things over here !

This message was edited Jul 14, 2013 7:19 AM

Thumbnail by LoveBrug

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9598243

LOL!!!!! I was just thinking mine must have drowned in all this rain.

I do have a pet Lizard now. Recognize him because he just has a stub for a tail. He sits/suns on the railing of the Studio. Has been there every day for a week. Turns his head to watch me go in & out of the door. As long as he eats the mosquitoes he can stay.

One of these days I'll get over there to "prune" your Brugs. My double purple has been blooming up a storm this year.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9598263

Qwilter wrote:LOL!!!!! I was just thinking mine must have drowned in all this rain.

I do have a pet Lizard now. Recognize him because he just has a stub for a tail. He sits/suns on the railing of the Studio. Has been there every day for a week. Turns his head to watch me go in & out of the door. As long as he eats the mosquitoes he can stay.

One of these days I'll get over there to "prune" your Brugs. My double purple has been blooming up a storm this year.

Now you are talking about a double purple Datura ? If you have a double purple Brugmansia I will be your lizard for life ! And eat anything you want me to .

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9598302

Ive never seen a double purple, except in a picture. Brug or Dat, Im guessing its gorgeous
I love my lizzards without tails, you know they have cheated death, and won. I also love their territorial nature, as its fun to keep seeing the same ones in the same places.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2013 8:34 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9598333

Now you have me wondering if it is a double...Of course right now it isn't blooming. I think I have a pic somewhere
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9598403

Qwilter wrote:Now you have me wondering if it is a double...Of course right now it isn't blooming. I think I have a pic somewhere

Qwilter for sure its the double purple Datura . Not long ago a double pink Brugmansia was just a dream here in the USA . Some of the cool weather Brugs are getting close to purple and just a dream for us unless we do a green house with a huge swamp cooler !
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9598699

Here's the pic...Do you consider this a double??? I'll share.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9598723

I would personally consider that a double. Love that purple color
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9598758

I've had this plant for 5 years & I don't think it is any bigger now than when it was given to me. It has been blooming like crazy this year. In the fall I'll let the seed pods ripen.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9599581

I was given some seeds of the double purple as an extra bonus in a seed trade. I've ended up with two plants and recently moved them from the pots to the ground. Mine are only four inches tall, so guessing I may not get flowers this year. Sure are pretty blooms.

Qwilter is your plant in the ground or in a pot? Just wondering how they do with freezing temps?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9599590

It's in a rather big planter. Has been there since forever. It is sort of under a large Phil and Oak tree. It dies back in the Winter & comes back in the spring. Never thought about protecting it.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9599612

Well that is good to know because I put mine in the ground, but there is a canopy of trees overhead.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9599648

I tend to initially put everything in pots so I can move them about till I find a spot where they will be "happiest". Since this guy never got any bigger I just left him in the pot. I toss some fertilizer on occassionally. Hopefully will put some new potting soil in this Fall.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9600986

Qwilter wrote:I tend to initially put everything in pots so I can move them about till I find a spot where they will be "happiest". Since this guy never got any bigger I just left him in the pot. I toss some fertilizer on occassionally. Hopefully will put some new potting soil in this Fall.

Yep a Datura . Qwilter smart to pot them up here as where we live the standing water on Fleming Island will kill them in a heartbeat.
Somtimes in a multi day rain event the water can stand way to long and kill them.
Qwilter I always fear our ( Island ) will sink ! It never has : )

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9601208

And we have had a rain free day which I spent outside dealing with the effects of all the rain. Weeds pulled; bushes trimmed; grass mowed. Looks oh so much better now.

Now the front yard is looking good but the back is still a jungle. And my trimmer ran out of string.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9601663

I have the same double purple datura. Mine is blooming now. If I can remember I'll save those seed pods as they will sprout many little ones. They are really beautiful. I finally learned to water them at ground level as they don't like water down their throats.
Found 1 adult lubber. Stomp and twist so he is gone.
Happy gardening all.
Bonnie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9602271

My bug madnwas here yesterday & hopefully got rid of the nasty wasps who decided to start living in almost every possible location out of the rain.

I'm always on lubber watch!!!!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9603394

Seems like when you have a rain free day up there, we have rain down here. :)

Bonnie nice to see you back again. Nice to know you see good too. :-)

I'm on a hill, we never get standing water, so guess I don't have to worry about that, but I did get these from Onalee down south and her instructions did say they can handle dry better than wet. One of mine has grown new growth since I put in the ground, but the other hasn't and leaves don't look so great.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9603581

Hi Sherri,
Right now I'm fighting ants on bird feeder poles. Got some Tanglefood to try. Birds won't touch the food with ants in it. Don't blame them.
My beautiful hibiscus or mallaow has white lumps on it so got to get spray made and get to that.
Gardening tasks never do get caught up do they.
Q. you are doing beautiful job on your yard.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9604689

Funny Bonnie, was just saying to my local gardening friend that it is a never ending job...but I do love it, I'd be so bored if I didn't have my garden to tend to...if only I had a maid for the house, I'd be a happy camper. :)
locoluna
Orlando, FL

July 19, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9605246

Anyone seen these green cockroaches? They are Cuban cockroachs. Anything else from Cuba we should know about?

Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna         

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9605287

Whoa!!! That's a new one for me! Never seen anything like that. Seriously? A cuban cockroach? Maybe it needs to be added to Bug Files!
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9605425

locoluna wrote:Anyone seen these green cockroaches? They are Cuban cockroachs. Anything else from Cuba we should know about?

Ugg I think it's pretty so I need to run and hide !
locoluna
Orlando, FL

July 19, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9605499

They are good guys from what I understand. I googled green cockroaches and sure enough... They don't freak me out like regular roaches. They do fly though.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9605546

Are they introduced here in Fl. from Cuba? As the Cuban Anoles are?

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9606842

I don't think they're a bad roach, they come out at night, I've only seen them down in the Keys and over on the west coast when camping. They are also called banana roach, so guess they came in banana shipments.
The brown freak me out, but these not so much. I've never seen any in my garden.
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9611732

I've seen a couple of those green roaches in the back yard. I know this is going to sound weird, but they're kinda cute and well weird at the same time.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9619124

Cut 3 large lubbers in 1/2 the past 2 days.
Went outside at 4AM yesterday (couldn't sleep) and found 4 very large CTF on side of my house. Buggers all went up underneath metal fascia where I couldn't get to them. Will be on the hunt from now on.
One thing Fl. really has is a variety of bugs and crawly things.
Our daily showers have stopped so today irrigation came on. Thanks God for that.
Bonnie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9619223

We had over 3" of rain over past 2 days. No sprinklers needed up here yet.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2013
10:33 PM

Post #9633897

Just why is it a brown roach makes ya want to run for the hills, and these green ones I might could stomach just a tad better, maybe...

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9633965

A non-outdoorsy, non-gardening friend was over the other day & commented on the "pretty grasshopper" sitting on my plant. Of course I pushed her aside to get to it yelling "kill the ^$*&". Then had to educate her about lubbers. And neither of us had hard soled shoes on so it was a task to squish the beast.
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2013
2:44 AM

Post #9637793

Here are pics of our "pet" golden silk spider

Thumbnail by tony9779   Thumbnail by tony9779         

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9638698

wow, the web is a natural work of art! the spider is gross though!

I have been attacked, ambushed, and traumatized by roaches the past few days. I don't know what to do but request an early pest control sweep.

and all of this month the whole first floor has been crawling with earwigs. they are easy to kill and don't fight but still creepy.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9638799

YUK!!!! I' m fine with bugs outside but the ones that make their way in creep me out!!!! Just going in & out a few flying critters tend to come in. I'd let some geckos in if the cat would promise not to kill them.
TXSkeeter
Mesquite, TX

September 17, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9662397

Late to this thread but wondering why someone hasn't tried beneficial nematodes for those insects (grasshoppers, pupating roaches and other soil borne eggs/pests) that you believe are actually coming into existence from your yard. The nematodes don't affect earthworms or other "beneficial" soil organisms and won't work well on those multi-legged critters that are already above ground level (instars to adults that have already emerged) but overall, a safe alternative to even the most innocuous sprays, poisons, and potions that you may try. Safe for kids, pets, birds, amphibians, fish and nearly everything else that isn't a ground dwelling insect.
Another good thing is that the nematodes are only active when they have something to eat, otherwise, they will typically go dormant until the next food source comes along or certain climatic conditions occur which might kill them, prolonged drought being one of those.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9662417

I never knew there were such things as benificial ones. I certainly will check into it tho. Right now Im over run with sod webworm moths.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9662443

There is nothing out there that will touch one of these lubbers, once they are grown. Now, once we squish them, the ants come & feast for days!!!! I've squished 5 in the last 2 days.

Yep, all sorts of beneficial nemetodes out there. There are thousands of types of them & quite a few are the "good" ones.
TXSkeeter
Mesquite, TX

September 17, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9662494

Aren't products with 'Spinosad' (sp.) supposed to be relatively harmless to critters other than the intended targets? I don't use a lot of insecticide but from my limited research when the product first appeared several years ago, it seemed to be touted as a biological rather than chemical solution and was supposed to be relatively fast acting.

(*Just throwing out ideas here so please don't take offence. On the other hand, we have Mockingbirds here that will chase, attack, and eat almost anything bug-like that isn't bigger than they are)
Steve

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9663964

got to love those mockingbirds don't ya Steve...LOL

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9665210

Well I got back from vacation and found I'm getting infested with mealy bugs. Spent all morning working on them. Had to just cut some things back, a salvia seems to be the culprit that started them.

We were over at Rainbow River in Dunnellon, FL, and those lubbers were all over the place, creepy things. My dog was going crazy chasing them. Glad I don't have those in my garden.

I found this site when looking up how to get rid of mealybugs:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/category/organic-pest-control/1

They have the Beneficial Nematodes
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9667061

Don't be surprised if those lubbers didn't hitch a ride home under your camper or in some equipment. They are very destructive. I have had 2 on my plumeria and finally got them with a scissors but they had eaten several leafs.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9667421

I'm glad I don't have lubbers. I was wondering if anyone else has been seeing huge roaches recently...they give me nightmares, the American Cockroach, the one that can fly, travel at light speed and touch you with 10 ft long antenna...

I never saw them around here and now I find one or two a week in my garage! If they get inside, I'm evacuating. Being from New York, I've had enough of roaches!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9667913

Coastal those palmetto bugs are always abundant this time of year, especially if we're having lots of rain. They come into my garage, but die soon. I use a do-it-yourself pest control called, Demon®. It is safe for kids, pets and odorless. I've used it for years and only have to go around and spray about every 6 months or longer.

Bonnie I actually thought about that with those lubbers. The ants were really bad and I go around my camper when ever we first park and spray the jacks and around the wheels, so to keep things like that from crawling into my camper. One time in August we were at the beach and the palmetto bugs were a nightmare, they had installed a new dock and we think it was attracting them. Our camper had them in the under bins and some even got inside. I sprayed the camper and all the bins when we got home real good. We found about ten dead roaches in the camper the next time we went out, so it worked.

Ugh...I sure hate all the bugs we have in Florida. I can stay organic in my garden and deal with them there, but when they are in my house...it is WAR time. :-)

This message was edited Sep 23, 2013 10:03 AM
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2013
10:35 PM

Post #9668544

I've never heard of that insecticide, but I'll look at it. It sounds a lot better than Raid, which I still haven't gotten around to using. In NY, we used the Combat gels and baits most of the time, which were smelly or just dirty but worked. The Raid fogger/fumigator was a last resort.

I agree, it does mean war, but I'll be sure to sleep somewhere else until the battle is won!

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9669091

I don't have a problem with roaches or palmetto bugs outside in my yard...as long as they stay out there.

I found some mealy bugs in one of my flower gardens on 2 plants...salvia and ROS hibiscus this past weekend. It didn't look like too bad of an infestation, so I picked them off by hand and sprayed with dirty, soapy dishwater. We have had rain almost all day for the last 3 days and I am curious to see if they came back.

Here in Florida, when treating for bugs or fungal infections on plants...the rain can get in the way. I have a plumeria that is starting to show signs of rust that I have not had the chance to spray because of the heavy amounts of rain.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9669378

I am bummed that the mealy bugs was such a bad infestation on my purple majesty salvia, I just had to cut it all back they were that bad. It is my fault for not paying attention in the first place...I usually do much better. My red firespikes were close by and they were all over two of the blooms so bad I just cut them off also. I was able to clean most off the other blooms and then sprayed, but it has been raining since.
I hate to cut both those plants back since they are food for the hummers.

I only see palmetto bugs/roaches in my flower pot pile when I go to get a pot out, they always scurry around when I'm rummaging through the pots. But the lizards are close by waiting for them.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9669484

Hopefully both of your mealy bugs are gone. The rain is so tiring, especially now that I can only watch my efforts to save my mango go down the drain.

I only notice the lizards eating ants and tiny things in my yard. The roaches really aren't that noticeable anywhere in my yard, I just hate them coming in the garage.

Aside from roaches, I think I give up on ants. Normally I'm ok with them showing up because I just sprinkle the fire ant killer and leave them to die. But this time my bite/sting got infected thanks to me deciding NOT to drain the blister (sorry to complain and for the nasty details)...it's so scary to think the infection might just leave my foot hurting and gross.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9669775

I spray fire ant bites with amonia to stop the pain. After they quit hurting I just scratch the blister off and put neosporan ointment on them.
Amonia also discourages the ants that have mounded.
Bonnie

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9669865

Had a break in the rain yesterday and checked the rain guage (2.5 inches in a day) and then checked on the mealy bugs. Gone from the ROS Hibiscus, but still a few around on one of my salvias. I have 5 different kinds of salvia and they only seem to be bothering one.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9671022

The mealys do seem to like the salvias, especially my Wendy's wish. I went out and checked and couldn't find any except on the underside of my yellow shrimp plant. I made my own soapy solutions and squish most of them with my fingers. Today sunny all day. Yeah.

I got some nasty ant bites this year too, more than the normal. There is one kind I get bit by that gives me huge welts for a couple days.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9671708

Yep, the one they seem to be on was labeled Wendy's Wish, although the blooms are purple and not the typical pink color.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9673621

coastal... I hear ya on the palmetto bugs... the worse thing about living in FL. Although, since we moved a 100 miles north (we are directly west of Orlando now) I've not been seeing any like down in Bradenton.

Don't use a lot of mulch, as they love that for hiding in.

Jan
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9673757

Rake the mulch a foot away from your home and cut down on palmetto and other critters.
I have 10" curly tailed lizards and several breeds of Anole'. Fire ants are bad here and I can't plant in the ground so the moles don't bother me. Many trails in the dirt here.
Afraid to brag lest I tempt fate.
Sidney
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2013
10:07 PM

Post #9673784

The ant bite reaction seem to vary depending on the type of fire ant, to me. I didn't know they cross bred, but they do.

I noticed a few mealy bugs on my hibiscuses, one of them has weird brownish spots/patches under the leaves. I'm not sure what that is, but it's still healthier than the others.

Thanks Jan & Sidney, I sometimes need reassuring that I'm not ruining my yard with the lack of mulch. The weeds are much easier to look at than the bugs anyway.

I did find a few small reptile eggs that I guess are lizards. Nothing crawled up from the nest spot yet.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2013 1:09 AM
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9678366

For years I have had mulch up against my house and no palmetto bugs yet and only a roach inside of the house once in a great while and we don't spray a thing inside.
Go figure. My husb. says he can't take any smells but if I get any I know a spray you get at Ace Hdw. that does not smell. It's called High Kill. I'd do it when he wasn't home for a couple of hours if I needed to. Couldn't stand bugs in the house. Now he has a cat that kills roaches. I find them on carport usually. Upside down so thats good. Doesn't eat them guess she plays with them to death. Good cat now if she would just keep rabbits away I'd be so thankful.

Happy gardening all, Bonnie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9681138

The Demon has no odor either.

I only get roaches in my porch, they come in under a gap in the door. The cats have fun playing with them, they'll all sit in a circle around the bug and watch it for hours until it dies. Gives the poor cats some excitement, since they're indoor cats.

I think I've taken care of all the mealy bugs for now. But I keep checking for them...especially on those salvias.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9681207

I just stomped 5 lubbers to their death. 4 females. Hope I got them before they laid their eggs.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America