-
AuthorContent
pepperhodgson
Agoura Hills, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9194524

This spider appeared in the crevices of my daughter's front porch. It is holding a sweet little orb weaver hostage! We would like to know what kind of spider this is. The closest I could come to finding in my spider book was a giant house spider. It is approximately 3" across counting it's legs. It's huge. Thank you for any help you can provide identifying this guy.

Thumbnail by pepperhodgson   Thumbnail by pepperhodgson   Thumbnail by pepperhodgson
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9195632

pepperhodgson,

I think your spider might be one of the Wolf Spiders (Lycosidae), but this is not the best place to ask.

This forum is for questions relating to adding data to the BugFiles database.

We have a forum on Insect and Spider Identification here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bugid/all/
and if you post your question there, you may get some help,

If you have an image, you could attach it to the message you post for a better chance of getting an identification

Kennedy
BugFiles Administrator
pepperhodgson
Agoura Hills, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9199722

@kennedyh - Thank you for your response to my inquiry. After much searching I really think this is a funnel web spider, the close-ups in your bug-files are identical to the pictures I posted. It seems to have moved on but it was a very creepy and interesting spider. I am always interested in finding out what type of spider I have come across if I find one I haven't seen before - the only ones I don't care to come across are black widows and brown recluses which seem to love it here in Southern California. We never have a shortage of spiders here! Thank you again.

Pepper

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other BugFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the BugFiles discussion forum! dave 34 Sep 30, 2013 11:48 AM
Bug identification QC palmbob 9 Jul 22, 2007 9:22 PM
Help to identify please Dea 3 May 3, 2007 11:26 PM
Search feature? melody 40 May 9, 2007 10:17 PM
BugFiles searching Joan 3 May 3, 2007 11:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America