Photo by Melody

Cacti and Succulents: Not a plant but...

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 14, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 5, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9194564

5 orphans. 3 caught, 2 to go. Cute but so stinky!
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9195191

They make great pets if you get a vet to "fix" them. All things considered, I still prefer my pet ball python, though.

Sylvain.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 6, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9195587

My nephew had one and they don't make great pets. Their urine and feces stink to high heaven and they don't seem to like most people only a few of their people. But they are so cute at this stage.
C

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9195624

I used to know a girl with a pet skunk. It was not quite house-broken, but rarely did its doings in the house. And it was a calm, sweet animal anyone would have enjoyed being around. The problem was the digging. Horrendous damage in her home, in her car (skunk was with her at all times), and of course the yard. The animal would destroy carpeting, upholstery, whatever was there... Skunks dig, it's what they do.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 6, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9195658

Wild animals should be wild. I say this after keeping many types of non-domestic pets for many years from the time I was pretty young. They are fun, exciting and interesting but most have habits or are delicate and are better in the wild than in a house. I still have to catch 3 of the bugers and take them to the rehab lady.
C
48flash
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9195682

Newton, how does one rehab a skunk???
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 6, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9195888

LOL methidone? She takes in the young ones and cares for them until they are old enough for release far away from houses. Mine are still getting milk even though I baited them with some dog food which I saw them trying to eat.
C
helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 7, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9196161

newton C.
I am glad to hear you are taking them to a rehab facility. They are adorable but I agree they should go back where they belong. In the woods or where ever.
Helen
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

July 7, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9196727

newtonsthirdlaw, You are a kind, brave soul that I admire. Most people would rather shoot them than waste time rescuing them. We need more people willing to extend a hand of kindness to all needy creatures. cll
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 7, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9196773

To be honest I don't want them in my yard and have a trap for the adults. My dog and husband have been sprayed. My sympathy for these is probably due to their age. I am working hard on figuiring out a way to make my yard less desirable to them next year.
C
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 7, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9196777

This was dinner time last night at my house. They seem slow until you get close and try to grab one of the little farts, then they are quite stealthy.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

48flash
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9197169

Looks to me like they have moved in and are most comfortable------
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9197844

They are so cute! We had a mom and three babies walk through our backyard nightly some years ago and for several weeks they let my husband sit within 10 feet and just quietly watch. Glad there are people who will rehab shanks!

We put in a new fence several years ago we held off putting the bottom 1" x 4" board on the bottom initially so we could add 1/2" hardware cloth strips along the bottom between each post. We (or I should say a young strong worker) buried the bottom say 6" and attached the top of the strip to the fence bottom by laying it along the bottom 3-4" stapling it on. Each strip had to be cut individually to width because of uneven terrain and the space between the ground and the bottom of the fence varied. Then we put the 1 x 4" strip over it to finish off the bottom.

It has worked beautifully, although I do miss the critters that came through nightly. They can still come through one end of the yard but getting out the other end to make their nightly rounds is now inconvenient so we don't see many, and in particular have not seen any skunks return. One of our primary purposed was to keep rodents (i.e. rats) out, but since they can climb a wooden fence easily they just run along the top, probably laughing at us, and have easy access. I think they decided to just move in to the yard permanently as there is no shortage of them!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 8, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9197850

Awwww! Good for you. What cute little stinkers :)
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 8, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9197870

Snagged and delivered 2 more this afternoon. Caught them under a container while they were enjoying their morning yogurt. Discovered there are 2 more so that makes the total 7 for this litter. Thats a lot of skunk! Dinner tonight will be scrambled eggs.
C

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America