AuthorContent
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9194817

Hello,
I am sure there is a forum for how to grow echies, but I can't find it. Since everybody here has such beautiful flowers, I figured this would be a great place to ask. I want to know what I need to do to get them going. I have tried planting seeds and plants and am not having any luck. :( The seeds don't come up and the plants like to die. I have the same problem with Rudbeckia. I am in West Texas (Midland), my ground is primarily sand and my water is hard (alkaline). I have tried watering, not watering, morning sun, full sun and just can't get them to work for me. I had one plant survive long enough to give me one bloom and then slowly died as it was blooming. I am hoping the bloom at least made me some seed. I don't know how good I am in taking care of an established plant cause I can't seem to get that far, so right now I need to know what to do to get it in the ground (including how to plant) and on the way to establishment. If any more info is needed, please let me know.I so much love the color!!! Please HELP!!! Thank you!
Brian

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2012
1:13 AM

Post #9196108

Sounds like you have a lot going against you! If your dirt is crummy why not invest in some inexpensive flower pots. I thing your would do better to buy plants, I could give you a few links for good deals on Coneflowers but It is already too hot to be shipping plants, especially from far away. This month I have only ordered one thing and that was from a vendor in my own state, not very far from me.
Is there a nursery or a Lowe's, Home Depot close by? Have you seen any Echies for sale in your area. After you get a large container, purchase some potting soil or a growers mix. Then plant your plants into the container. It might also be good to set up a large container like a plastic trash can to collect rain water, this would be better for the plants. But you might be able to amend your water with additives, like vinegar. Alkaline will retard the plants growth, don't use it unless you mix the vinegar.

http://www.centralarizonacactus.org/plantinfo/plants/An Acid Trip For Your Plants.pdf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9196737

There is also this; ZONE 7B I could guess that some seasons you could about be at the edge of the zone ability. What you are saying is high plant stress in a miserable setting of conditions.I am no expert by any means this refers mostly to our hardy friend E.Purpurea our eastern conflower.
Mine set mostly in full sun, from two-o'clock on they wilt in this heat of 100 degrees. This brings mind a little shade,one or two of mine look a little better in some lightly shaded places.The blooms aren't as dark of course.
I would try something like this,two bales of straw cut in half , a full bag of "say" good quality garden soil ,open that bag across the top, plant your coneflower in that bag(of course it is a good idea for the bag to be setting where you will want your flower to grow. poke a few holes in the bottom of that bag.put the straw neatly around the bag. OKAY, with everything setting nice and securely and with good care your flower should flourish.

With you it sounds like your plants can't establish before they are stressed beyond the limits they are capable of survivng. Read the experience of some of the DGers here. They fail at times,some of the flowers they grow do not do well for the settings they grow them in. With others the same coneflowers do quite well. lets talk some more.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9196795

If you would like; I have a few E Purpurea I could send ya when the weather is right.I'm not as good with coneflower seeds, however I could send ya a pound or two of rough seed if ya say. I know they will grow I just usualy don't know when,where, or how.
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9199770

Virginia... I am going to try and amend my dirt heavily! It's not even good enough to be called soil. hehehe If I can't get it good enough, then I will go with pots and give that a try. For the last three days I have been using a mixer on my hose and put vinegar in it instead of fertilizer and have it mixing 1 tsp vinegar per gallon of water. This weekend I am going to take a gallon of my water to work (I work in a wholesale greenhouse on the weekends) and test the it for alkalinity. I can also get Echies from there. Then I am going to add vinegar teaspoon by teaspoon and find out how much it would take to drop the pH to about 6.0. If all goes well then I am going to invest in an injector for my water spigot so that my water comes out good no matter what I hook up to it! I would love to collect rain water but it doesn't rain enough here, and when it does rain, I would end up collecting rain mud instead of water! :) I am getting a trailer ready with a 275 gallon tank to put RO water in it for my plants. I can't wait to see how that works. Thank you for the link. It was very informative!

juhur... you are right, I have been putting the poor plants in some pretty crappy conditions: crappy sand, crappy water, crappy weather, etc... :) I now know I need to amend my soil so that it is more rich, am in the process of making and/or getting better water, and getting a better idea of where to place them. I like your bag and hay idea but I just don't have the room. I have a pretty small yard. I could definitely use some plants and I have a tabletop greenhouse in one of my bedrooms that is pretty good at germinating seeds in, so I can sure use the seeds also! The more I have, the better chances I have of succeeding. Thank you for the offer and I will D-mail you with my address.

I also have another friend helping me out with this process so between you two and her, I should be an Echie pro at the end of all this! I can't wait. They are soooooo beautiful! Thank you for your help and if you can think of any more ideas or have any questions to help me better, PLEASE either post here or D-mail me. Right now I will take all the help I can get!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9199996

Good luck Brian!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9200000

Yep! there Eastern Coneflowers Before long you will have them also.

Thumbnail by juhur7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2012
1:51 AM

Post #9201214

I love the Eastern Purple, they are beautiful and very reliable. Have you had any problems with Aster Yellows?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9201312

There is some on a few flowers around the yard and garden only not on any of my Coneflowers so far.Could be healthy native ECHIES are good and resistant, I hope that continues.
I have more of these in semi-shade that turn white while in bloom before they fade,they do not seem as strong, however they look nice and I plan to seed more. I think the white from the native purple is nice also. Like you said,reliable,it is nice when flower plants are that.
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9201518

I love them too. That is why I am so bound determined to grow them! :) Can you give me the sci name of the Aster Yellows so I can look it up? The only Asters that I have right now are a native one but the plant is tall and the flowers are little. I have a post in Plant ID right now trying to figure out what kind. I am saving the seeds so they don't take over again but I love the color of them, so I let a few live. :)

I saw a post that their Purple Echies started coming out white. They are actually very nice! I think i might throw Echie seeds in ALL my gardens and see what happens. I did that with Lobelia and found where they do best here (although best wasn't that great) :) Your Echies look real nice and I can only hope to find that perfect spot and make the right conditions to have some that nice!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9201555

I don't know the name (sci exp ) for Aster Yellows. Every time I look it up it has been with that name and that is how I read about some of the problems that it causes.
I have thought about asking administration,you might send them a D-mail ,they usually reply in three days or so.Some of them are professional botanists and the like.
I know what Aster Yellows looks like and what it does ,only other than a plant virus spread by a little brown leaf hopper
there is not much more that I know.
Thank you for the good mention of the Echies! Heat and drought are turning them a little crispy though.
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9201627

Okay. Now i feel silly. I didn't know it was a disease so i was looking for a flower. :o After looking it up, I don't think I have a problem with it. :)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9201736

I was wondering if you had happened to member "weedsfree" has pow wow wild berry seeds for trade.That was added today.I'm considering something to trade myself ,as an offer.
And dont feel bad about aster yellows,I did the the same with something about pyrethrums some time ago.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coneflowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Did You go Cone Crazy? MollyMc 560 Jun 4, 2010 8:05 PM
Welcome to the Coneflowers Discussion Forum dave 17 Aug 28, 2007 9:38 PM
Shortest Coneflowers? cedarnest 60 Jun 4, 2008 6:00 PM
Is Rudbeckia hirta Considered a Coneflower? claypa 4 Jan 26, 2009 8:59 PM
Staking Coneflowers rosethyme 28 Jun 30, 2011 10:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America