Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: is this a lemon cucumber?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 16, Views: 150
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindasch100
Chino Valley, AZ

July 5, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9194838

I planted lemon cucumbers by seed, and this is what I got: not round or yellow. It is about 5 inches long and growing! I have not tried them yet.
I have lots of them! Does anyone know what this is?

Thumbnail by lindasch100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9194990

It looks like an immature lemon cuke - they do have strips and look like little gourds at this stage. If you purchased packaged seeds its extremely rare for them to be mislabeled.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9194994

Looks more like a squash of some type. But then I don't grow lemon cukes. No normal cuke will have the leaves and stem in your photo.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9194998

It's a Squash !
dbullock78
Lexington, TN

July 16, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9207395

I've grown Lemon Cukes for the last 2 years. This pic looks like it could be an immature cuke or a squash. The Lemon Cukes grown on a vine-there is a distinct difference from any squash plant I've ever grown. My vines were massive by this time last year (we planted later this year so they're only about 5 ft long right now). If this little guy is on a vine, then it's a cuke. If it's on a bushy type plant, then there is a good chance you just mixed up your seeds. The likely-hood of buying seeds that are mislabeled are slim to none

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9208253

the fruit looks like a cuke, the stems and plant look to be bush, not vine, squash vote here, just can't remember the type off hand as it isn't one I grow.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9208689

Definitely not a cucumber. Most definitely not a Lemon Cucumber; I've grown those for years.

Squash vote here, too. I was thinking 8 Ball but it may be a bit too elongated for that one. Will be watching to see what it turns into, Linda.

Shoe

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9208911

This is a young TATUME Squash. It looks really close to yours.
Older fruit will get more stripes.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9208958

K, Johnny's seeds shows a lighter color 8 ball type squash name Magda, but looking at Cousa Squash i find them to be a crossable variety of a zucchini- could you have planted greyzini's? and 8 balls and they crossed? Zukes are summer squash that if planted too close to anything else will become both types- I've seen my zucchinis and yellow summer squash do that and not follow form at all...
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9208982

Magda is a long type mideastern zucchini. There are mid green round type zukes like Cue Ball and Geode. The old Tonda di Nizza/Round of Venice has similar shape and coloration although most likely it is a cross of some type.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9210865

Definitely NOT a lemon cucumber!!

Here are a few pics of immature lemon cukes for you.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx

Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9214286

Good point - don't jump to conclusions, take time to look at all parts of the plant - I humbly stand corrected...

Do let us know what it grows to be!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9214643

Wow, it looks a lot like my unidentified vegetable. Knowing the seeds I got (from Baker Creek) and planted in that area were: spaghetti squash, Red Kuri squash, and Chanterais melons, I still have no idea what this is...

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9214753

Darius, I've grown spaghetti squash and yours is not it. Red Kuri is just that, red, somewhat green when very young turning to color soon after, and also has no stripes. I'd go with Charentais because of the subtle netting and the stripes (and color).

Shoe (hoping you get a melon!)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9214813

Shoe, my Red Kuri's started out very yellow, now are turning orange and eventually I'm sure they will be reddish. No mistaking them for anything else!

I'm hoping it's Charentais, even if there are just 2 of them!!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9214899

Yay! Narrowing it down then.

I'm pulling for Charentais, too.

Yummy!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9214907

Darius? That's a melon not squash, has vine tendrils, leaves of melon, gonna have to go find out what a Charantais is tho-

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America