Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Is it worth replanting roses that weren't planted "right"?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 1, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
betsy_VA
Vienna, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9194989

My garden helper planted my eight new roses six weeks ago and while they look like they're doing fine, I'm realizing that they weren't planted "correctly" per the voluminous rose planting advice. I wasn't present to supervise the planting (sigh) and they were just plopped into the ground with minimal fuss. My question is whether I should replant them. My concerns:

-- The planting holes weren't dug very deep. The bud union isn't 1 inch below ground, but right at ground level or slightly above.
-- The planting holes weren't dug very wide, either. Though I provided plenty of planting soil, less than half the total soil I provided was used, meaning each rose got less than half the supplementary soil as was recommended by the nursery.

The thing is, the roses look like they are doing fine. They're blooming, they're sending up canes, they are putting out fresh foliage. I don't really want to traumatize them with more digging if it's not necessary, but I'm worried that they're going to be stunted in the long term without the "right start in life". If I don't replant them, is there anything I should do to try to offset their current situation? For example, the bud union height -- should I try to mound up soil around it? I worry that creating a hill under the roses will just make water slide off.

Photos attached show the roses right at planting, and then a recent shot showing their progress.

I'm in Virginia, zone 7a. The roses are in an ideal bed for them (lots of sun). Soil is red clay below a few inches of good topsoil.

Thumbnail by betsy_VA   Thumbnail by betsy_VA
Click an image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 6, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9195022

My growing conditions are quite different from yours but I would leave them alone. I think the main problem might be the level of the bud union which could need protection from freezes. A good layer of mulch would offer some insulation. Hopefully someone nearer your location can offer more valid advice.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America