Groundhog day = Depleting garden harvest;

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

The local groundhog found my garden, which has a 4 foot fence of chicken wire on two sides (staked down with sod staples) and an old wooden fence and brick house on the others. The wooden fence apparently doubles as a gate for groundhogs. I've tried my solution for deer, rabbits and chipmunks but it doesn't phase the Hog, which has been in Hog Heaven for the last two days.

Plugging the hole simply makes another hole.

I have thought of an open ended live trap to get him but I'm not going to spend the money on a trap not when there are much cheaper ways although not as humane.

Anybody had success with the same problem?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

If he can't get through the chicken wire side, why not cover the wood fence with chicken wire?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

That is a good question. I'm not exactly sure that he can't, I believe at this point he is just taking the easiest route.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

For what it's worth, my resident groundhog doesn't (yet?) get through my hogwire/chickenwire fence. I haven't seen him try, but it seems unlikely he wouldn't take a crack at it.

Or I may be lucky. I understand they can climb trees, so climbing a wire fence shouldn't be too tough for them.

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Just happened onto this thread and had to laugh. We have had groundhog, woodchuck problems over the years and my guys have their own way of taking care of them. Enough said, but here is one we had this spring and yes they whistle too.

and yes it is real. DH was out working in the yard and looked into the brush lot and there he was.

Thumbnail by Joyous
Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Joyous- that is my cheap effective solution, just wondering about others experiences with the Hog.

Nicole- I would try that if I had any extra left!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.