Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Groundhog day = Depleting garden harvest;

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9195509

The local groundhog found my garden, which has a 4 foot fence of chicken wire on two sides (staked down with sod staples) and an old wooden fence and brick house on the others. The wooden fence apparently doubles as a gate for groundhogs. I've tried my solution for deer, rabbits and chipmunks but it doesn't phase the Hog, which has been in Hog Heaven for the last two days.

Plugging the hole simply makes another hole.

I have thought of an open ended live trap to get him but I'm not going to spend the money on a trap not when there are much cheaper ways although not as humane.

Anybody had success with the same problem?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9195537

If he can't get through the chicken wire side, why not cover the wood fence with chicken wire?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9195543

That is a good question. I'm not exactly sure that he can't, I believe at this point he is just taking the easiest route.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9195607

For what it's worth, my resident groundhog doesn't (yet?) get through my hogwire/chickenwire fence. I haven't seen him try, but it seems unlikely he wouldn't take a crack at it.

Or I may be lucky. I understand they can climb trees, so climbing a wire fence shouldn't be too tough for them.
Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9195617

Just happened onto this thread and had to laugh. We have had groundhog, woodchuck problems over the years and my guys have their own way of taking care of them. Enough said, but here is one we had this spring and yes they whistle too.

and yes it is real. DH was out working in the yard and looked into the brush lot and there he was.

Thumbnail by Joyous
Click the image for an enlarged view.

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9195638

Joyous- that is my cheap effective solution, just wondering about others experiences with the Hog.

Nicole- I would try that if I had any extra left!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America