Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Completely new to gardening and very overwhelmed!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 12, Views: 192
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PineappleRain
Gotha, FL

July 6, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9195511

Hi all! I just moved to my first house as a married lady ;) and I'm hoping to do a little bit of beginner gardening here. I'm looking for some good resources to help me decide on what I can do with the space I have. If you could direct me to some info, that'd be a huge help.

Here's some quick points:

-I'll be starting with just a flowerbed. It has some dusty millers growing haphazardly in it now that I'm hoping to replant in a nicer arrangement. Otherwise I'm clueless.
-There's some sort of palm bush thing in the front yard that needs stuff around it to make it look less crazy.
-I live in Florida though and my yard is full of sand. I need some thoughts about this too.

Thanks in advance. :)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9195562

Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening! You can get lots of great advice here, it will help if you can post some pictures of the areas of your yard that you want to work on, and also mention how much sun/shade each area gets since that will be a big factor in deciding what you could grow there.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 6, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9195916

Head to your local nursery with a photo of the area and a budget. The folks will point the way and you can choose what you like and no shipping. They will have plants appropriate for your region and space. Also take a photo of the crazy shrub and they will tell you what it is.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9196423

I agree with missingrosie--talk with local nurseries to get a good idea of what will work in your area. Very sandy soil can be tricky to grow things in. Also look around your neighborhood to see what others are growing. Stopping in to ask neighbors questions about their flowers is a real good way to get to know your new neighbors anyway. Plus, some of them may have been growing flowers for many years in the same conditions you have and could have some real good pointers for you (and they might even offer to share some cuttings or seeds with you).

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9197349

Welcome! You found the right place to ask questions.
You might also try going into "communities" and checking out "Florida gardening".
I'm sure there are lots of Floridians there who can help you make your garden fantastic.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9197375

I believe you need to be a paid subscriber to access the Florida forum. You can get a trial subscription for a month or two for $5 if you want to try things out without committing to a full year membership though.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9197617

We all know how addictive this place is, chuckl, cheapest support group in the USA! I can't imagine anyone not Goin for membership - so we forget when folx don't have Daves to lean on!!!
Frank65
Hallowell, ME

July 12, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9202611

I agree with all of the above. This is the best place to get information and support but local nurseries are better at the types of plants for your area. Also check out garden books and magazines. Read all you can. Also garden clubs you can join and if you really get in to it there are master gardener classes if you're so inclined.
Astrablue
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9202714

Have you started anything yet?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9203120

DG members LOVE to help other DG members. The amount of info and advice you can get here is staggering. If you find plants that appeal to you at the nursery, you can look them up in Plant Files to get info and feedback from people that have grown them (as a non-subscriber you're limited to 10 searches per day).

You should also check your local library. Just go to the gardening and landscaping area and browse. It's also a great way to see landscaping pictures in different types of settings.

Good Luck and please keep us informed.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 27, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9220582

Welcome Pineapplerain, my thoughts are with the previous folks on the thread and wishing you a very big welcome to Dave's Gardening,
The main thing to remember is that gardening is meant to be fun, it's meant to be thearaputic, it's a hobby and no one will throw you against a wall to shoot you IF you make mistakes or your seedlings turn floppy, your flowers turn into minced meat and every bug in the state wants to visit your plot to eat holes in your nicely growing plants.
There's always someone here to help you out as all the gardeners who are on the site began the same way you did, nervious, worried all would go wrong and wondering where to start so never feel there is any questions you cant ask or you will look silly, if silly were a problem, believe me im un-curable on that.

Just enjoy, have fun, try not to buy too many plants at the one time or you end up with a well dug plot full of dead plants ha, ha, ha. Theres an aswer for every question so you just have to ask and it may take a few goes, but someone will give the right answer / cure / or do's and dont's.
Good luck well done for joining the millions of people who go gardening, so never give up.
WeeNel from the Bonnie, Bonnie Banks here in Scotland.
ChicagoKristy
Hannibal, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9227205

Yay!!! I am a baby gardener too. I never could have imagined that a hobby could be so fun and fascinating, yet I know what you mean about being overwhelmed. I just try to learn from each success and failure. I will be awesome to have another "newby" to chat with!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 4, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9229689

Well Pineapple / Chicago, dont forget all the now experienced gardeners started off just like you, that is bewildered, bewitched or just plane old behind with every other chore because we were out in the garden trying to make sense of it all ha, ha, ha,
Please be assured that ALL the gardeners, even the old hands like myself are still learning about plants, how to grow them or new forms to try or how to deal with bugs,etc, so when some new folks ask questions, sometimes it's about something we have never experienced and therefore we are all learning together, so please dont be worried about being new to growing stuff, we all had to start somewhere and do know how frustrations and being unsure about seeking advice, just enjoy your new hobby.
Dont spend a lot of money on tools / plants or stuff till you understand the need for them, when I started gardening I was convinced I would need brand new spades, forks, gadgets that were as much use a a chocolate tea-pot, but gradually you can either pick up old tools from retired gardeners (ebay) books from second hand book stores or coffee mornings, seed swaping, and the library will give you ideas on basic knowhow or terminology etc, so dont let your new garden space overwhelm you, it's really you that is in charge and IF you dig too large an area it's for sure you will not have enough time to cope with it, start small and progress from there.
Good luck to you both and remember there is no question that will not be taken serious so ask away, look forward to hearing from you soon as I'm sure others will be too. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America