Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Beauregard sweet potatos want to spread

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9195946

I wished for Vardamon bush, but they only had Beauregard. I planted nine in a bed that's about 4 by 8. They look happy and want to spread outside the bed now.
Can I try to keep flopping the ends back in to the bed? Can I cut the ends off and hope they bush out? Thanks.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9196164

The vines tend to sprawl. What I understand you don't want is to let the sprawling vines take root. You want the production to be at the main root of the vine.

If you don't have room for them to sprawl, you might devise some means for them to grow upward. I don't know that I would prune them as the leaves/vines deliver what the potato needs as does the soil.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9196204

We grow Maple Leaf and while they're basically bush, they do tend to sprawl a bit. We just put the ends back in the bed. We planted ours next to the watermelons and I think they'll be pretty compatible - one producing underground and the other off the vines, and both needing some room.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 7, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9196273

I like for them to sprawl have some in a bed we are doing for the city and we started so late that the sweet Potatos is kinda like saving our butts at this stage of the season I am wishing we had planted nothing but the beauregard but we added some of the small leafed type with the pink edging on the leaves which is very pretty but what we need is agression...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9196574

Thanks for the feedback!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America