Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Tomato Question

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
juliep127
Louisville, KY

July 7, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9196284

I planted 3 heirloom tomatoes and 3 other types. The tomatoes are a decent size, but they are green. My question is: Should I wait til the cold front comes in and hope that they change to their colors, or should I pick them and put them in a sunny window? We have had an extensive heat wave, but a cold front will come in tomorrow. I have babied these tomatoes to get them through this wave. I dont want them to split or go bad beforehand. Any advice???? Thank You!!! Julie
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9196298

Unless the cold front drops temps below 50 degrees I wouldn't worry about it. If you pick 'em too early before they're full sized they won't really ripen. If I'm going to pick them green and let them ripen on the kitchen counter, I wait until they start to change color, and it's best to keep picked toms out of direct sunlight, turn them shoulders.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9196464

Leave them on the vine until they at least get a smidgen of color. The cold front coming in isn't going be cold to the toms; it'll just be a little welcome relief and they should start setting fruit again. I know my garden is pretty much stalled except for some toms ripening.

This fall if you have some still on the vine before your first frost, you can pull up the whole plant and hang them upside down inside to ripen, which extends the season a bit for you, but they aren't as good tasting as leaving them on the vine. Slightly better than just picking green, tho.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9196547

But if you have to pick them green in the fall you can always make fried green tomatoes - a favorite here. I even fry them, freeze them on cookie sheets and then put in freezer bags for the winter. It's a great treat at Christmas!
juliep127
Louisville, KY

July 8, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9198212

Thanks Ya'll!!!!!!!!!! Julie
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9199295

"I planted 3 heirloom tomatoes and 3 other types"

Just wondering what varieties/types you planted, Julie. You may just have some long-season varieties and those will naturally take longer to ripen to red. OR, maybe you have some green-when-ripe varieties and don't know it.

Lastly, when did you set them out? I set mine out much later than normal and have only picked a few red ones so far; most will ripen in a few more weeks.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Shoe
juliep127
Louisville, KY

July 22, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9214350

Horseshoe, You are right. I did set them out later. I dont know what happened to them. They were beautiful about 6foot tall and now all the top leaves have shriveled!! I am so upset. Although, They are producing tomatoes. Yes, I now have red and purple tomatoes. Just upset at the health of my plants. A big storm came through. Perhaps, That is what did it!! I have never had this happen. :(
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9214373

Crossing fingers for ya, Julie.

I'm sure you'll get something to eat from them. I imagine the wind may have whipped them around a bit but I imagine they'll survive.
juliep127
Louisville, KY

July 23, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9215332

Thanks Shoe!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America