-
AuthorContent
john222
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9196348

I don't know a lot about grafting but want to learn.I have been looking at grafting tools Omega style do they work.Is it worth the money or should I start some where else?All advise appreciated.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9198835

At the grafting class I took this spring, they had fancy (and expensive) tools including the Omega, but the experienced grafters who were teaching us preferred to use good grafting knives. I made a total of 5 apple grafts under very close supervision using both a knife and the Omega; none of which have survived. (But I think it didn't have as much to do with the grafts themselves as the scions and rootstock.

I know enough about the techniques now that I'm going to order a good knife.
diamondjfarms
Needville, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9352308

I use a cheap omega tool from Lee Valley. I grafted a good number of pear, apple, peach and plum, with better than 60% success. Plus, it was the first year to graft anything.
This is my grafting page:
http://www.diamondjfarms.com/Trees/graft.html

I also took a grafting class. It was after that class that I knew that I would not be able to get those cuts just right, and it sent me looking for the grafting tool.

Good Luck, with your grafts.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America