Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

grafting tools ?

Lucedale, MS(Zone 8b)

I don't know a lot about grafting but want to learn.I have been looking at grafting tools Omega style do they work.Is it worth the money or should I start some where else?All advise appreciated.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

At the grafting class I took this spring, they had fancy (and expensive) tools including the Omega, but the experienced grafters who were teaching us preferred to use good grafting knives. I made a total of 5 apple grafts under very close supervision using both a knife and the Omega; none of which have survived. (But I think it didn't have as much to do with the grafts themselves as the scions and rootstock.

I know enough about the techniques now that I'm going to order a good knife.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

I use a cheap omega tool from Lee Valley. I grafted a good number of pear, apple, peach and plum, with better than 60% success. Plus, it was the first year to graft anything.
This is my grafting page:
http://www.diamondjfarms.com/Trees/graft.html

I also took a grafting class. It was after that class that I knew that I would not be able to get those cuts just right, and it sent me looking for the grafting tool.

Good Luck, with your grafts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.