Love this Plant-Can't Identify It

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I picked up this plant when I was creating a succulent garden - but like many succulents, they never seem to have the name tags with them. I love this plant but I would like to identify it (I'm weird that way). It reminds me of little palm trees the way it grows. It is green in the cool months, but leaves turn brown (don't fall off - just turn brown) in the summer. Can anyone help?

Thumbnail by Margui622
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Euphorbia decaryi?

Decatur, GA

Don't water it in the winter. Give it light shade in the summer and water well when its growing. Euphorbias don't like it cooler than 60 degrees.
They do look like little palm trees but their habit is to grow prostrate.
I think Euphorbias are cool.
Helen

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Amanzed! It looks like you nailed it. Euphorbia decaryi var. spirosticha.

Helenchild - It gets very little water in the winter and it gets a few hours morning sun, with afternoon shade. I do think this plant is one of the coolest I own, and seems happy most of the time. As much as the plant looks like little palm trees - I also think the blooms look like little square brown umbrellas. Okay, so much for the tropical descriptions. It is very much one of my favorite plants.

Glad to help, Margui622! It's a classic plant. If you love that one, may I also suggest a relative: Euphorbia capsaintemariensis. I love that one, too.

Decatur, GA

So many Euphorbias, so little time. :-)

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

What a cool plant! The ruffled edges just make me smile. Another to add to my list.

I was thinking it wouldn't grow in So. California because our rain is in the winter, but in DG plantfiles Palmbob says he has it so it should be okay. Oh happy day.

Oh yeah, it grows in SoCal for sure. :-) Another close relative is another Madagascar miniature: Euphorbia cylindrifolia. In the same group as E decaryi and E capsaintemariensis, but even smaller and more rare (and pricy) is Euphorbia tulearensis.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 10:35 PM

Decatur, GA

Dean,
Do you know of a place/online site that has E. tulearenis for sale? I am not particularly looking to buy at this time but its nice to know about good resources.
Helen

Hi Helen,

C and D Plants was where I saw it for sale. Two years ago they had a couple tiny plants (pinky-nail size) for $15 and small plants (2-pinky-joint size) for $35. They grow from their own produced seed. I was already buying a bunch of other plants so I passed. Euphorbia tulearensis is a specialty item, no doubt about that! It's the smallest and most radically "self-bonsai" of that whole section of thick-, crinkly-leaf Madagascar euphorbs. They look like miniature trees with tiny leaves and naturally compact, gnarled growth habit.

--dean

Decatur, GA

Thanks Dean

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'll have to try other Euphorbias. They are well worth the effort. And yes, this little plant makes me smile. More and more, I'm loving succulents.

Helen, I notice the last couple weeks, Mike and Maureen Massara at out-of-africa-plants.com have been offering Euphorbia tulearensis. They are very small, but they have several leaves. Euphorbia tulearensis is SUCH a tiny plant that the small size of this offering is understandable.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.