Photo by Melody

Florida Gardening: Vine that substitutes for Wisteria?

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 33, Views: 280
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LandscapeGardener
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9196584

Hello All-
Can anyone recommend a showy vine with fragrance to substitute for Wisteria?
Criteria looking for with the vine is one not plagued with a lot of insect pest or disease problems, not requiring high maintenance (limited to 1-2 pruning sessions a year, fertilizing), will go up and over a pergola, strikingly showy for at least one season (a plus if showy additional seasons), not an eyesore at any time of the year. Not invasive. Attractive fragrance preferable.
Cultural conditions of the site are Zone 9a, full sun, alkaline high PH soil. Soil thin 2" topsoil layer over compacted limerock, will be bermed with quality topsoil and composts. Planting site readily drains from rain event but 15' away from edge of freshwater river canal. Planting site does sit several feet higher than water level. This vine will be going into a Japanese Garden.
Can anyone think of a vine that meets the above? Thank you all in advance for the help!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9196611

You might could train Sweet Almond to go up a trellis. My friend Jeremy has a tree. At Okee., I had a nice pot of it.
Sidney
LandscapeGardener
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9196620

Are you referring to Aloysia virgata, common name Sweet Almond?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9196632

Yes
;)
LandscapeGardener
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9196641

I've planted Aloysia virgata in several other clients' yards solely due to the fragrance. It's incredible in full bloom. Thanks for the input!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9196859

Also, it blooms continuously if deadheaded. The scent wasn't as strong (to me) on about the 8th bloom.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9197060

Up and over a pergola: I have confederate jasmine and Carolina jamine. Never had any pests problems in 4 years. Fragrant while blooming. Never an eyesore any time of year. Could be pruned to shape but I let mine go wherever they want. It is not invasive and has never moved to another space in the yard. Has climbed my fence and thickened beautifully. Gets fertilizer once a year. Drought tolerant. Very easy keeper.
Bonnie
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 9, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9199600

Hi -

I have a Queens Wreath vine on the front of my fence. It does not have a scent; however, it has the purple cascading flowers like Wisteria. I have never fertilized mine and pruning seems to make it grow more. It stays green here in SW Florida through the winter. I have had people actually stop and ask if it was Wisteria.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9199732

Hi
floridabunnie,
Forgot about that one. Here its called Queen's bower and it sure does resemble wisteria. I have 2 but cold froze them back to the gorund one year and they are still trying to recover. One is now about 4 feet and the other is about 3. Only had 1 cascading bloom this year but hope they will keep growing and have more blooms next year as they are really beautiful.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9199734

Another beautiful vine that growes very high is blue sky vine but it does die back to the ground during our winters up here. Right now my 2 are up over my roof line and I'm looking forward to their beautiful blue blooms.
Bonnie
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 10, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9200954

Hi Bonnie -

I had the blue sky vine at our other house planted and growing up my pergola. The first year it made it up to the top and to the middle, the next year the pergola was almost covered. It is a beautiful vine as well. I plan to plant one of these here as well as it is one of my favorites. Last year everywhere I went they were sold out!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9201658

Thanks yall on sharing those vines. I love them both... those would do great on top of a fence, are they able to take a wood fence down once they get started?

Jan
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9201737

The Queen's Wreath can get heavy. I have mine planted on my reinforced chain link and the stem has grown around the links. I guess it would depend on how strong your fence is. When we installed the chain link, my husband knew that I would be planting on it and asked that it be reinforeced to hold vines.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9201767

smart hubby you have.

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9202054

Yes, he knows me all too well - LOL. I think he has resigned himself to the fact that I won't be happy until our backyard looks like a jungle (well, hopefully an organized jungle).

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9202114

FLbunnie, now you know there is no organization to a jungle...LOL the good thing is you can hide lots of plants in a jungle...LOL

Jan
LandscapeGardener
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9202458

Anyone know the botanical name for Blue Sky Vine?
Thanks for the input everyone!
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9202700

Thunbergia grandiflora http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1968/

I've been looking into this vine, also ;)
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 12, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9203394

Jan - yes, you can hide many different plants in a jungle. I guess what I like is the way it looks natural and how everything grows together.

the think that I have noticed about the blue sky vine is that each one seems to have it's own variation of color, some are brighter blue than others.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9225306

LG,
I believe you were concerned with weight. Blue sky vine weighs nothing but grows very fast and high. I am waiting for mine to start blooming soon.
Bonnie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9226630

I planted Sky Vine in a front bed about 4 or 5 years ago. We had 2 really hard freeze years and the Sky Vine comes up faithfully the first out of the ground. Although my yard looks unkempt, the red hibiscus, Sapphire Pigeon Berries, and deep purple Sky Vine does put some color in the beds. ;)
nikkers390
Fort Myers, FL

August 17, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9245208

I had sky vine in Ft. Myers zone 10. It was nothing if not impressive, BUT It will lose its leaves if it gets hit by frost. I never fed mine, but it was the vine that wanted to bury our house. Made me think of Kudzu :) It's growth was incredible. I would cut it to 1 foot above the ground in Spring and by summer's end it was back to looking for a way through our door. Depending on where you are, I would not call it low maintenance. I'm sure others have different experience with it but this was mine.
I had better experience with a lovely red passion vine. It covered our entire 5 foot high 40 foot long wire fence in the back, rarely lost leaves, bloomed gorgeous red flowers no fruit and attracted lots of butterflies. It took 2/3 years, but there was no stopping it!
cheviothunter
Wellborn, FL

August 24, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9252045

My Parma violets are surving all the rain but look a little pale. What fertilizer should I use/
Thanks
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9252168

The well behaved evergreen wisteria does not have a fragrance but it is beautiful and underused. One comment in PF said it had a bad odor but i have never noticed that. There is also a M. taiwanese cultivar.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59543/

Thumbnail by ardesia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LandscapeGardener
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9254204

Top-dressing with compost would be best. Second best alternative is a general balanced fertilizer with micros in which all the elements are coated for slow release, for example Osmocote Plus. Many of the fertilizers proclaim they are slow release (or the equivalant) on the front label, but look at the analysis on the back and you find out the fertilizer barely qualifies. Analysis reveals the only slow release element in the fertilizer is a small percentage of the nitrogen. Many of the fertilizers out there are in a false advertising gray area. Always check out the analysis on the back label because the information in the analysis is required by law- not just what is stated, but also how it is stated, so the fertilizer company doesn't have the wriggle room for the misleading info it can put on the front of the package. I'll get off my soapbox now:)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9254283

LOL, but remember, Osmocote Plus is "timed" release and should last about 6 months, a big difference from "slow" release which will release a quick burst of nitrogen and the remaining nutrients will slowly disolve over 9 - 12 weeks depending on the temperature and moisture.
LandscapeGardener
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9262369

That quick burst of nitrogen is from the percentage of that element that is immediately soluble- not coated for slow release. Check that label. If only a percentage of the nitrogen is coated for slow release, the remaining nutrients (if any) are typically not slow release at all.
Slow release is enabled due to a polymer coating. Different companies have their own "technology". Some details vary but the basics are more similar than they'd like to admit.
BTW, Osmocote Plus is available in various months' formulations- 3 month, 6 month, 9 month.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9262422

You are correct, there are different formulas out there now, they are hard to come by in the sticks where I live, LOL

Your key phrase is "Check that label." I wish more people would read that whole (yes it is boring) label before buying.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9275939

Hey...I'm just passing thru.
I wish I had a fence...and it was filled with Wisteria...or anything for that matter!

When I lived in Homosassa, my DH had a beatiful Brown Bud Amidilla (sp). Every year it would freeze back to the ground and I would be afraid that it would not come back up again...but it did. I never see it out here. Neighbors would stop and admire his flower. I miss him and the plant! Come visit me in the Southwest Forum. Jo
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9277090

Here is one, Petrea volubilis>

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54548/

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9277285

Dale

Is this your garden? Oh my that vine is incredible!

Jan
Jelenity
Davenport, FL

September 20, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9281039

Ok I am new to this forum and I came across this post. I thought I read that for Florida that the Queens Wreath vine is invasive..?? Am I not correct on this?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 20, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9281484

Invasive usually means it reseeds itself wildly, speads far and wide by under ground runners, etc.

This vine is just a vigorous grower. People who prefer not to work on their garden or plants find it 'invasive' becase it requires attention. If you let things go they will go...

The plant in photo above, on the fence, needs a couple hours a year of pruning. That will keep it in bounds.

The one on the garden shelter requires no attention because it has no where else to grow.

Here is an invasive plant - Mexican Petunia coming up thru Plumbago.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9287314

Jelenity,
Welcome to the forum. Have 2 queens wreaths and neither is invasive. Actually I have a heck of a time keeping them living. Cold seems to put them behind ea. year but they are trying hard this year. Can't wait until I get a year with some blooms as they are beautiful. Clusters of blue/lavender that hand down like wisteria.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America