gisagadget
SUNDERLAND
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9196729

Hi,
My Brugmansia Sanguinea was identified for me many years ago.
It has grown too big for me to drag the massive pot into the conservatory each Winter.
I have been forced to plant it in the garden (forced by the wife) near a south facing wooden fence.
The plant is thriving at the moment in the alleged Summer months. (monsoon at the mo!)
Can anyone advise me how to protect it from frost during the coming Winter months.
Many thanks

Thanks for the tip of taking cuttings.
I did try to trim the plant down but I think it was the roots that were a problem as it seemed to be getting pot bound making the plant look weary and loosing leaves.
I have been transferring to bigger pots each year but I dont think I can obtain a bigger one that I could lift on my own. It did look great in the conservatory but it has just got too big!
Since planting it in the garden it has taken a new lease of life and is shooting up.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2012 11:22 PM

Thank-you to everyone for all your advice. I have decided to build a mini cold frame around the plant when Winter comes with mulch in the botton and a IP55 45w 12" tube heater inside to use on the extremly cold nights. I have also taken 18 cuttings today to make sure I will still have a brug next Spring. (see how it goes)

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 6:20 PM

Thumbnail by gisagadget
Click the image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9196851

I think I would have trimmed it down to a size I could handle. You may be able to protect the roots but protecting that mass of foliage would be quite a chore. If it is knocked back to the ground, I wonder if it could grow back so big each season? Some cuttings would be good insurance in case the experiment goes awry. That's an incredibly beautiful plant, never seen one with those flowers before!
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9196908

It's a beautiful plant! I recommend rooting some cuttings (starting now) so you'll have smaller plants you can bring inside for the winter, in case the parent plant doesn't survive outdoors. I don't know about B. sanguinea, but for other brugs, mulching the base of the plant before the first frost protects the roots so the plant can regrow in the spring, even if the above-ground branches get frozen.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9197021

i don't know if your zone a is comparable to mine but they always come back from the roots here (even after days and nights of 17 degrees). i too had mine on the south side of the house and did mulch around the plant. they are fast growers here and mine would always attain the size of yours by mid summer. i have to say that yours is one of the prettiest i've ever seen. you have the magic touch!
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

July 8, 2012
2:48 AM

Post #9197434

I really like this species, and it grows well for us here. Best of luck with pulling that through the winter in the ground there. You are so far North in Sunderland, I wonder if it can be done.

Cuttings are good insurance - I would start several, and farm a few out to friends as a back-up too. For protecting the mother plant, I would consider stringing a line of small Christmas lights around the trunk and stems, and plug them in on frosty nights. You can leave a bit coiled about on the ground too.

Tell us how it goes, will you?

P.S. When Trackinsand says 17 degrees, he means -8 C.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9197436

Your plant is really beautiful. I have brugs in the ground here in zone 9a where the winters are usually mild. However, in 2009 we had about 4 days of 20 degreesF and even tho mine were covered and tented with a lamp under, they still froze to the ground. The next year was so dry that it did not resume its former height and had very few blooms. Only now, has it regained its former height and blooming well again. I think you would have better results if you obtained a large pot on wheels and moved it indoors for the freezes, especially if freezes are common during your winters.
Barranquilla
Barranquilla
Colombia

July 8, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9197961

This plant thrives as a small to tree in this climate
http://www.viewweather.com/w1344302-weather-forecast-for-cerro_de_monserrate-bogota_d.c..html
which may mean that it can survive out in your climate.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America