So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9196963

I think the hot weather cooked it!

What ever happened to NikB?

It's a shame that this forum is languishing; there are SO many ideas and projects we could share, and learn from each other.

Due to the 8X increase in electricity in 2015 for the 13 state region that includes my state, I'm giving serious consideration to solar hot water heat in my floors. There's just no way I can go from paying about $200 a month for elec. heat to more than $1600 a month.

http://generationhub.com/2012/05/21/gop-says-pjm-auction-shows-result-of-obama-war-on

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pjm-capacity-auction-secures-record-amounts-of-new-generation-demand-response-energy-efficiency-152088105.html

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/22/obamas-war-on-coal-hits-your-electric-bill/print#ixzz1vdg3N9AP

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9197130

darius we are thinking of doing our barn solar . We plan on doing the house by 2018 all solar. great link you posted. sorry i have been missing in action.
i think we are all busy.
i had to let so many plants die. we are in a pretty hard draught. we are on well . so we are a bit worried with no rain in forecast.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9197237

Thanks for everyone chiming in - lets me know the link worked.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 8, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9198361

I would like to get as low consumption as possible with mypower needs. Then, work on alternative sources. Ahhh, so many things to do.

Its been so hot, but we finally got rain today. The trees are so dry the leaves are falling off.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9198933

I've been following this fellow's blog for about a year. He has implemented some great money-saving energy ideas and I hope to do some of them in the next 2-3 years.
http://www.builditsolarblog.com/

I'd like to get my power consumption a lot lower NOW, but my sis shares this house and she won't give up much of anything.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9199542

my FIL got my rain barrels a small pump that works off the battery of my little RTV . works like a charm !!! cut watering hrs in half !
i didn't mind the walking with buckets but it just took to long over 2 hrs and in this heat i couldn't keep up. but i have a slimming figure ROFLLL and built up some muscles in my arms
garden is doing ok. the pepper plants are small ? but loaded with peppers.
pulled the garlic. not very big :( so i guess its garlic powder this year.
tomato's are still holding strong
cabbage looks like its doing good.
did some fingerling potato's don't know yet . but one area is not doing much , it has died down pretty good. soooooo hoping with more watering i can get it up and growing again ?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9202153

Darius, I've seen that site before. It sure makes solar water heating look easy, especially if the components are purchased pieced out.

No time for new or old projects here.lol The garden is booming, it was really about time. I don't remember having weather this nice since 2007. Of course when we get nice weather that means everyone else isn't...sorry.

Sue, I can't imagine watering by a bucket! Congrats on the pump.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9202465

LOL thanks Lulu.
yep i guess the crappy weather is hitting everyone else.
man is it dry here.
i watered yesterday and the ground doesn't look like it got a drop in it ! yikes.
pototo's may need to be dug up. one bed is done i think ? foliage is gone. not eaten but just died down to lack of water. i watered but i guess it just didn't help much. ?
thinking of my fall crop of lettuce and greens . can't decide . may do the dragon mix
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9203752

Hey guys. Whole lotta water under the bridge since I posted last. I've got a lotta catching up to do. I'll try to read everything as soon as I get time. Hope you have all been well.

DH had surgery on his foot. Took out 2 bones and he had problems. Ended up getting 8 units of blood and crit was still just 25 which is critical. They had overloaded him with fluids on top of it all and he nearly drowned. They started him on lasix and pulled off 16lbs of fluid in 24 hours. He is still having breathing problems from it but it is much better and will just take time to get straightened out. He is still taking lasix at home everyday. He was in the hospital for a week and has been home for a week today. Started back to infusion the day after he got out. Went to his regular foot doc yesterday and he stopped the infusion treatments!!!!! That is such a relief for many reasons. That everyday trip to town nearly an hour each way was very tiring and expensive. But the longterm antibiotic treatments have taken a hard toll on DH's kidneys. He is down to just 50% output. Please help us pray that as his body clears the meds, his kidney function will return to normal. Kidney doc says worse case scenario will be dyalisis or transplant in a year and a half to two years. We know God is bigger than that. The meds also supressed his bone marrow which was another reason he needed 8 units of blood. But he does still have nearly all the foot he went into surgery with!!! He has to learn to walk on the outside of his foot, which he has always done, but he has to stay off it for quite a while. Don't want to break open the stitches. It was an extensive incision but it is healing well even though it still drains a lot. All in all, things are pretty good at this point but he still keeps having chills without fever. Don't know what that's about and we forgot to mention it to the doc yesterday. He still runs a low grade fever at times too but is taking tylenol for that. We still need and appreciate your prayers.

They boys are with us and have been such a big help. Ray had the stomach virus 2 days ago so DH had to drive himself to infusion and Knock went with him. Knock went in and signed Paw up and brought out a wheel chair for him. Then he wheeled him into infusion and sat with him. After that they went for gas and Knock got out and pumped. He is really growing up. Then yesterday Knock got sick in the examining room at the hospital and started throwing up. They gave him a "pan" to take home with him and he threw up about 6 times before we got home. He slept for an hour and woke up hungry. He ate a bit and then went out to play. Hard to keep good boys down. They are both fine now. We will surely cry when they go home. Them being here has kept DH from sinking into depression from the bad news about his kidneys.

DH was able to teach at Bible study Wednesday night. We took one of the tall stools from our pub table set for him to sit on behind the pulpit. It worked fine.

I am going to have to learn how to cook for him. He already has to stay away from sugar and carbs because of the diabetes. Now we have to stay away from sodium, phosphorus and potasium because of the kidneys. That does not leave much. I am studying and planting more garden. All those great tomatoes growing on the bushes and he won't be able to eat them. Such a shame. I don't think a slice on a sandwich now and then will be bad. We already use the low sodium salt. Mrs. Dash is out now because of the potasium. It's all complicated but we have to learn it somehow. No processed foods so everything has to be fresh. That will be expensive. I will try to grow as much as possible. Looks like I may have to raise a pen of meat birds. Hope eggs are not off the menu. I planted some more beans yesterday, Cherokee Wax and Contenders. DTM are 40 and 54 so they should do fine. We are finally getting some nice rain. We were having a drought. I dug the taters but they were a bust. Disappointing but such is the life of a farmer. We have been eating a few things but nothing in abundance. I pulled the onions and garlic. They did well. I replanted with some bulbs I forgot I had bought so they were pretty sad. I hope some of them grow. I see some of the elephant garlic is making a valiant effort.

My goats are milking good. I lost a bit from the first doe because I missed a few milkings while DH was in the hospital so she is producing less now but now I am latching the others doe's 2 kids and milking her in the mornings. That is a big help. Making lots of yogurt and cheese. Need to find out if I can freeze it. Making some killer icecream too.

Gotta get going. I am a bit lazy this morning since I did not have to go to infusion. Don't know what to do with all this free time. LOL I milked the goats early (have to stay on schedule with them) but I need to get them up on the hill to browse. They just love all those juicy weeds. And I love how they turn it all into juicy milk. And we all need breakfast!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9203870

Cajun, Thanks for the update. I worry about you and all that your dh is going through. All I can do is send my thoughts and prayers, for healing, lots of family time, and a garden full of healthy vegetables.

I've had the dairy ladies out running with the beefers. Thought we would have a calf in June based on some notes of the last/first time she was covered. Not the case, I called them up to the house yesterday and Sally Belle's (the eldest) udder is getting big. She still looks like she a few weeks to go, She has always hid her pregnancies well, she's naturally slab sided, and I can't tell when the calf shifts into position. All I'll have to go on is a daily watch of her pin bones. It's always excited around here knowing it won't be long for a baby:0)

Put up 30 quarts of tomatoes and 5 quarts of juice yesterday, but would appreciate some rain! For all!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 13, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9203878

How exciting! What breeds are your dairy and beef cows?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9203893

The dairy cows are Jersey with some Holstein in their background, I gets lots of cream so I think they have the best of the Jersey blood. The beefers are not ours, we lease our land out, and Brangus pairs is what they run.
However, there was a small gap between the Brangus being moved and us raising a Black Angus bull for a friend in exchange for beef. In other words..I have no clue who's the babies daddy.lol

I not all confident I could tell the difference between a Brangus and Black Angus offspring after being mixed with dainty dairy. I'll be expecting a guess from you soon, Porkpal :0)

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 13, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9203992

Oh goody, I love guessing games!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9204058

The length of the ears should be a clue.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9204412

Are you implying the have big ears? Shhh..they might hear you. MOL

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9204426

Caj, low sodium salt is full of potassium.

Just got home from a 3 day trip for medical tests, got good reports but I'm too tired to comment on most of the last few posts tonight...

Will try to catch up tomorrow.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9204437

Welcome home, get a good nights sleep :0)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9204720

Cajun i m sorry to hear of the medical issue's DH is having. I m wishing him a healthy recovery. Hope you doing ok also , you sound busy. GLad to hear the boys are helping out too. that is a good relief for you.
darius get some rest and take care. glad the test went well for you.
great cows cocoa. i think the ears are cute :)
pretty tired myself.
no rain in site
hard week at court last week. nothing until Aug20th when they get sentencing. we are happy with the out come.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9204978

Sue, is there a possibility they may get the death sentence? It's what they deserve.

Darius, what should we use instead? Glad your tests all went well. Do you know where I might look for a kidney, diabetic friendly diet?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9205029

Caj, check out this site... it includes ways to leach potassium from vegetables. It's easier to reduce the "taste for salt" slowly rather than "cold-turkey", and easier to manage than a desire for potassium-rich veggies and fruits like bananas.

I saw you posted salt restrictions too. I've noticed over the years that people tend to put a certain amount of salt on what's on their plate, and they do it mostly by sight, not by taste. Morton Kosher salt is less salty (NaCl, sodium chloride) by volume than regular Morton's salt, so if that's what is in the shaker, you get less NaCl automatically. The kosher salt made by Diamond Crystal is more concentrated so you get more salt than you think for the same visual amount.

I've changed to the harvested sea salts from the coast of France... they taste saltier, but really aren't, and they contain lots of minerals.

Every kidney doc I've even known (I used to sell dialysis equipment so I knew a lot of them) said bananas were helpful for the kidneys because they are high in potassium.

I don't understand why they suggested limiting phosphorus...

Phosphorus:
The primary use of phosphorus in the human body is to both form and strengthen your teeth and bones, and it works closely with calcium to accomplish this. In fact, roughly 85 percent of the phosphorus in your body is located in your bones and teeth. The rest is located in your tissues and cells, all of which require phosphorus to grow and repair, as well as to maintain their functions. Your genetic material, known as DNA and RNA, also depends on this mineral for formation.

Phosphorus assists the kidneys in getting rid of waste, and it also aids in muscle contraction, heartbeat regulation and nerve communications. The body's usage and storage of energy is highly dependent on this mineral, and it also helps balance the other vitamins and minerals within the system, such as iodine and vitamin D. Phosphorus can lessen muscle pain after exercise, and it also assists the body in making use of the carbohydrates and fat you eat.

It is rare for the human body to become deficient in phosphorus, unless you have a condition such as diabetes.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 14, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9205225

I have a cousin who is a brittle diabetic and is in renal failure. He can eat hardly any potatoes, no bananas, very little fruit actually, he is limited to about 32 oz of fluid a day. Pastries, dough, pasta, big no nos. A lot of salads, chicken and fish.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9205244

no he will not get the death sentence. sorry to say. but life in prison.
well i may have to give up to the garden gods. with no rain hand watering is just not making this garden produce enough to make it worth it :(
cherry tomaot's are not even a dime size , no beefsteaks to see yet and the ones i did have fell off the vine .
fingerlings may be the only thing i will keep. I need to add more soil and straw to get another layer going , a bit behind on that. too.
hope everyone else's gardens are doing good.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9205287

My garden is non-existent. with the move to the new house only got a couple of tomato plants and a couple of squash in the ground - no time to work with either.

The squash darius dropped off to us on her way through was a blessing. CTA - D
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9205432

Darius, did you forget to add a link with your post? Thanks for the info. I may have been mistaken about the phosphorus. We see the kidney doc this week in her office so she will give us more info.

Sue, are they prosecuting the others that were involved? I wish they would all get the chair. So sorry you are having to go through that. I cannot even imagine how hard it must be. You are in our prayers and thoughts. I wish there was more I could do.

Hate your garden is not doing well. We have been getting a good bit of rain the last week but I was watering with a bucket before that. It had gotten so very dry here and my outside spigots were not working. I was dipping water from the creek and found myself thankful that my garden was no bigger than it is. Mine has been a mixed bag this year. I planted some beans a couple days ago and am hoping they do well. My cukes are looking pretty good. My maters look good but I am afraid they may be getting the blight. Some of the limbs are turning yellow and then brown and shriveling up. I had blight bad last year. Hope it doesn't happen this year too.

Angie, I feel so bad for your cousin. That is a hard life.

Dyson, have you gotten moved in yet?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9205438

Caj, yes I forgot the link, glad you reminded me...
http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/potassium.cfm/

edited for typo

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 9:34 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9206020

yes all of the 5 are being prosecuted. They all plead guilty to their crimes. We are hoping for life with out parole for Mathew. he was t he one who actually did the murder. The others just helped.
still no rain. i have heard that KY has gotten some great rain ! lucky duckys.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9206021

Same here, Sue. You are in my thoughts daily. I've pretty kept silent on the other threads, just because I can't think of anything to make you feel better. I can't think of of a single say about those involved that would sound remotely ladylike. I know last year with our drought it was depressing and felt like the end of world. We have 30 dead old oak trees in the yard! Sheesh! Literally and metaphorically, wishing you some rays of sunshine and healing rain.

Cajun, did you plant your tomatoes near where they planted last year? I had some problems early in the spring, I still don't know exactly what the issue was. Just to be safe I'm going to plant other crops in that area for 4 years, before planting tomatoes agian.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9206131

thanks cocoa
and everyone.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9207024

No thanks needed, just know we care about you.

When say your giving up watering, is it just the family food garden? What about the nursery stock?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9207486

trying to sell off as much as i can with the nursery stock
yes the family food garden is going to have to get pulled. to hot to fertilize , not enough hand watering can make it produce much.
even with my mulch and compost it is dry as a brick cement .
sad to see.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9207599

Podster put together a wonderful list of water conservation and tips to help us out last year. The best tips are just the first few posts, the rest of the posts are mostly us Texans freaking out ;0)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196163/#b
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9211993

Hard day here. It looks like my Momma has metastatic brain cancer. Doing more tests to find out where it originated. I have not seen her in over 2 years. We were making big plans to be together for Thanksgiving.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9212168

Caj, so sorry to hear that. Life seems so unfair too many times.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9212198

Caj i m sorry to hear of the news of your mom. many ((()))) to you and the family
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9212221

I'm so sorry, Cajun.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9212397

News may be a bit better this morning but we can't be sure. The doc only talked to my Momma and she has been confused lately. Going to try to get her doc to talk to our nephews who are also doctors. Then they can let us know exactly what we are looking at. Tests showed no lung cancer. I am thinking it may have originated as breast cancer as her older sister had breast cancer and my Momma has fibro cycstic breast disease so she would not have thought much of another small lump.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9212404

T's and P's going your way, hoping for the best.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9212406

I sure hope for good news, it is amazing what doctors can do compared to just 20 years ago. Keeping your family in my thoughts.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9212995

Momma is a bit more confused tonight that when I talker to her this morning. She was getting her callers and her visitors mixed up. But her head is not hurting tonight and for that I am greatful. My SIL is staying with her until the doctor comes so we can get an idea of what is going on.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9213446

My brother called after talking to one of Mom's doctors. She has a tumor 2cm x 3cm at the front of her brain. It is shallow. They will do a biopsy Monday morning to determine what kind of tumor it is. They cannot find cancer anywhere else and that is a huge relief. We are praying the tumor is not a fast growing type. She is getting steroids 4x a day to keep the swelling down. She was very clear this morning when I talked to her.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 21, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9213470

Wow! Good news!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9213718

good news Cajun. Sending healthy energy to her and family.
well not much going on here.
went to a animal auction
got a new guinea pig :P LOL what can i say... i broke ...
son got a new rabbit... paid to much for it... again... i was weak.
i got 10 new sexlink chickens. they are pretty healthy looking... they do have lice... yea ! ... not... dusted with Sevin... but i think they will be good chickens ?
got a used cage also. i was not fast enough for some of the other cages... next time i will be faster. good deals at auctions... i m hooked !
did go over budget. not good. so i guess my beer budget is a bit thiner this week.
i couldn't believe how many rabbits there were !! must have been 200 ... just rows of rabbits... some were only 1.00 if i knew how to cull rabbits i would have a freezer full !
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9215987

Rabbits are very easy to kill and clean. Google it and clear out a space in the freezer for the next auction. You won't be sorry.

Seems I was given a bit of wrong info on Momma. She has not had her mamogram yet. They discharged her today. It is scheduled for next Monday, oncologist on Tuesday and the neurosurgeon on Thursday. Praying their is no problem in the breasts. She has fibrocystic breasts and one of her sisters had breast cancer. Praying for a miracle. She is home on antiseizure drugs, steroids and BP meds.

DH was readmitted to the hospital this afternoon. Same foot, different spot and different infection. Soft tissue this time. Pseudimonous (sp?). Admitted for IV meds. Not vanc this time. Kidney function has improved a bit. That is encouraging.

I need nerve pills. I am so stressed out at this point. Gotta get his things together, feed the animals and go back to the hospital. Think I may buy supper in town tonight. I don't feel up to cooking. Haven't even had lunch yet.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9216153

Oh Cheryl, so sorry to hear about your DH. Pseudomonas is nasty stuff, and so resistant to antibiotics. If I remember correctly, it's a "hospital" bacteria.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9216752

Any chance you can get some help with the chores or letting a friend drive Dh till you can get some rest and sort things out? Wish we were closer. Keeping your mother in my thoughts, hopefully the tests will keep coming back negative.

I'm on the hunt for anyone who has t-tape and or drip irrigation from a pond source. If you know of anyone using this kind of set-up, send them in this direction, please.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1271903/#new

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9217409

Caj i sure wish i was closer to come and lend a hand . Yes you need to take a day and get some rest and reenergize .
sending many many healing energy for you and family.
i will keep a look out for that kind of set up for you cocoa.
we got some rain 1.5 inches woohoo. good stuff
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9217457

I found the next best thing to rain, just 30 minutes ago!

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9217500

WooHoo, Congrats!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9217771

congrats on the new addition.
good morning
coffee is on... organic and fair market
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9217848

Have good day at the fair, Sue, I'll take a cup of that coffee :0)
Just got in from giving the new momma and baby a thorough look over and short milking session.
It's a heifer!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9217909

A mixed breed heifer? Doesn't look like the Mama. I'm assuming you will eventually breed her?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9217935

Yep, this is the baby that I don't know if the daddy is brangus or angus. She has a really long navel like the other brangus..sooo, I just don't know yet. Her ears seem long, but they always look big as babies...any guesses out there?

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu   Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu
Click an image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9217954

She gets to ride in the cart? LOL.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9218017

I'd guess Brangus. Cute lil beggar. Glad it's a heifer. Now you can make more cheese.

It rained all day at our house yesterday and we had a TS in the night. I didn't go to the hospital yesterday. Spent the day cleaning in the washroom and doing laundry.

I have managed to pinch something in my back. Legs are very weak and the pain and spasms are terrible. I was able to drive to the hospital by the slimmest of margins. The valet attendant kept trying to put me in a wheelchair but I refused. They do not have a lot of chairs and I know how it is to have to wait on one. Others needed one worse than me. I have to take very short steps and walk with my knees bent. I am going to take a muscle relaxer as soon as Steve wakes up. He is sleeping good right now. His sugar is up from the infection and being out of his insulin routine.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9218082

What can say, Darius, only the best for princess.lol

Caj, sounds just like what happens when I throw my back out. i have to go trough physical therapy when it's severe. However, many times I can stop it before the pain get too bad by doing stretches recommended by my therapist. The best for the lower back is to lay on your stomach and gently lift up onto your elbows, hold for 8 seconds, relax, then repeat for a total of three time. Try to do this three times a day. Once you start feeling better, try and work up to pushing yourself up by your hands instead of elbows. When getting up, remember to roll to your side and push yourself up from your arms, not your back. It's not a quick fix, but going through this so many times, I know its faster healing then doing nothing. Hope you're better soon.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9219151

anyone know how often i should dust for lice ??
i have to keep them in the coop or the turkey goes bazurkoo . So i m keeping the chickens in the coop with her. I need to keep her pretty for fair. Then chickens can go outside. They have lice . i gave them a good Sevin dusting last week... there is two dirt spots in the coop but they don't seem interested in dirt baths ?
i want to make a dust bath with sand. i may do that.
what kind of sand do i use ?
cute little heifer...:)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 26, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9219196

Wood ashes make a great dust bath.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9219359

I don't frequent the poultry forum since I don't have chickens (yet), but I just read a blog post about the "Rough Service" light bulbs being fatal to chickens.

http://www.rootsimple.com/2012/07/teflon-coated-light-bulbs-deadly-to.html
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9219558

I've never heard of 'rough service', good to know about the chickens sensitivities.

I'm no help with the lice, I don't know how we've been so lucky. We've had chickens 13 years now and the only time I can remember having lice was bringing in some purchased hens that I placed in quarantine. We had to cull them all too, lice was the least of their health issues. It was sad and frustrating.

It makes me wonder, are some areas more prone to lice then others? I know we have less of some insects because of sandy soil, don't know if that effects lice tho?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9219571

'Rough Service' means basically used inside or outside in the cold barns, hen houses, etc.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9219594

Ah, that's why I've never heard of them...no electricity in the barns or coops.lol
We use those standard wide bulbs sold just for brooding.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9219636

more thunder storms on the way
good to know on the wood ash. i will see if i can save some on our next burn pile
got some dirt with DE in the coop.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9219638

this is my first time with lice . i got these hens from the auction. i think lice is more of a over chicken population with unsanitary conditions and no dust baths available ? IMHO.
sandy soil is ideal lice and bug control for chickens.
i hope the pile of dirt i threw in helps.
i know they want out but just can't afford to get turkey girl feathers ruffled and broken
good to know on the lights darius.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9219652

Thanks for the explanation, Sue. It's such a common malady, I thought there had to be a reason other then dumb luck. However, I'm grateful for any luck I can get ;0) Good luck with the girls.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9219844

:)
some rain came our way but my garden is still lacking any produce production. i have not kept up on my DE with my cabbage due to the rain the last few days. its all swiss cheese LOL but i may have a few good heads still.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9220730

We got our answers and it's not what we wanted to hear but it is what it is. The bone in his foot is gangrenous. His foot has to come off. They will be taking it in the morning. Doc said the procedure should only take 20 minutes are so. I was suprised about that. There is a real possibility of the infection traveling to his heart, brain or liver and causing a gangrenous ulcer that would kill him.

Doctor says he will get a temporary prosthesis in a couple weeks and then a permanent one. Doc is expecting a full recovery after the amputation.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9220754

dam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9220814

I agree with Dyson.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9220871

i triple that
so sorry about the foot Caj.
many many healing thoughts for you and hubby.
you will be in my meditation thoughts
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9220911

All my thoughts will be with you and your family in the morning.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 27, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9221012

I am so sorry to hear that. I, too, will be sending up prayers for you and yours. Do you mind if I add you all to my prayer chain at church? Please don't forget to take care of yourself in all this as well.

I would like to mention to you ALL how much I have come to think of you. In the last few months, you have lifted my spirits more than you can know. I feel like I have known some of you for years as I read the progress each of you have made, and I have learned so much from you. I truly feel like God has blessed me with my dg friends:)

That being said, we got rain yesterday! Seconds after I put the last piece of furniture on my trailer to be moved. The skies opened ad the rains came forth. Sooooo back into storage it all went until this weekend. *sigh*
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9225278

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. I appreciate them all so much. This is a difficult time but it is what it is. Can't mope about it. Just have to keep moving forward. The surgery was a success but he has had problems with horrible pain. It seems to be under control tonight. He was moved to rehab this afternoon. The room is really nice with a big bathroom and shower. He starts OT and PT in the morning. They are getting him ready for a prostesis (sp?). The men from the church will be building a ramp into the house tomorrow and weed eating in the yard. They have been so supportive in this crisis.

I have been staying at the hospital day and night. Went home yesterday for a couple hours. Watered the garden and picked the tomatoes, fed the animals and milked the goat. Took out the garbage and picked up the mail. Just the mundane little stuff that fills my normal days. It felt good to do those normal things.

Angie thank you so very much for adding us to your church's prayer list.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9225421

Cajun that is wonderful about your church support. I m so glad you have them. Sending many healing thoughts to you and DH.
well were busy getting busy for fair which starts friday.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9225909

DH had a good night's sleep. Didn't wake him up very often. He enjoyed his breakfast then went to PT. They mostly measured stuff and saw how strong he was, ect. When he came back to the room we washed him up and put clean clothes on him. I let him do as much as he can for himself so he will get better quicker. He rested for 45 minutes and now he has gone to OT. After lunch I will go home and get the boys. We are both missing them so much.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9226911

How are the boys holding up? It has got to be scary for them to watch grandpa go though so much. I hope he'll heal quick and you both get back home soon.

Garden is gone here, 30 days no rain. It was good while it lasted!
Recovering my wingback chair this week. A woman on Criag's List was looking for someone to recover two chairs cheaper then she was getting estimates for. Can't take the job till I'm absolutely certain I can do a wingback...mine has been sitting here for over a year, because the work intimidates me. We'll see, I may NOT want the job.lol
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9227021

New Thread -

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273670/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America